• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria |OT| - Sorey, Modders did what Bamcouldn't!

Ultimadrago

lol yeah it is bad. Did you try raising it?

Yeah, that helps a bit in more wide areas. But when you're in closed corridors of ruins or near corners it has that same fight against the walls.

Aside from that the combat seems okay for now, but I'm still not far enough to see it open up yet. Would you say it does so nicely?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Yeah, that helps a bit in more wide areas. But when you're in closed corridors of ruins or near corners it has that same fight against the walls.

Aside from that the combat seems okay for now, but I'm still not far enough to see it open up yet. Would you say it does so nicely?

How far have you gotten? The
Armitization
feature brings some variety, but overall I was kind of disappointed in the artes Sorey employs. I find myself just relying on the martial ones most of the time.

Ultimadrago

How far have you gotten? The
Armitization
feature brings some variety, but overall I was kind of disappointed in the artes Sorey employs. I find myself just relying on the martial ones most of the time.

I got to the part where it was just introduced, so I'm at the beginning beginning. Haha. Well, I guess I'll just keep feeling it out then. Will keep a closer eye on martial combos in that case, thanks Trojita!

Trojita

I got to the part where it was just introduced, so I'm at the beginning beginning. Haha. Well, I guess I'll just keep feeling it out then. Will keep a closer eye on martial combos in that case, thanks Trojita!

You're playing on PC right? Are you using all of fixes and 60fps patch? Makes the combat feel a lot better.

Ultimadrago

You're playing on PC right? Are you using all of fixes and 60fps patch? Makes the combat feel a lot better.

Yeah, Im using the 60fps patch. Im not sure if that includes the other changes youre talking about.

Also theres a midboss theme that remixes an older Tales boss theme. Man, can't put my finger on it but it sounds good here.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Just wanna chime in and say I'm super impressed at how well optimized the game is (even without the 60FPS patch). I'm able to run it on full res (768p) on my 5200u with all settings at max and 16x anistropic to boot.

At this rate I should be able to run Berseria fine too.

sora87

I've been playing this on and off since it came out, still have no idea what I'm doing with gear, the union and fusing stuff just goes over my head and I wish it wasn't a feature, just give me new gear with higher stats. That and the fact leveling up does hardly anything just kills the sense of progression for me.

Cornbread78

I've been playing this on and off since it came out, still have no idea what I'm doing with gear, the union and fusing stuff just goes over my head and I wish it wasn't a feature, just give me new gear with higher stats. That and the fact leveling up does hardly anything just kills the sense of progression for me.

Yeah, it takes awhile to figure it out, but even then, I got frustrated trying to find items with the correct attributes, etc.

Ascheroth

Yeah, it takes awhile to figure it out, but even then, I got frustrated trying to find items with the correct attributes, etc.

Yeah, that system was a major buzzkill for me too. It looks interesting and flexible at first but killed all sense of progression quite soon for me too, because it doesn't really feel 'natural' and is coupled with grind and RNG... ugh.
And at the point where you get more control about the skill-drops, I think, I didn't even want to bother with it anymore and just ignored it most of the time.

Doesn't help that the UI for it and fusions and buying equipment is abyssmal. Want to know how fusing this equipment affects your characters? Better constantly go back and forth between the fusion menu and the skill screen!

Weiss

Banned
Started today. I'd appreciate if someone could explain the gameplay to me, because for the life of me I don't get it.

Also Sorey/Mikleo is hella canon, right? I've been playing for maybe three hours and every line of dialogue that comes from Mikleo screams Love Interest.

Cornbread78

Started today. I'd appreciate if someone could explain the gameplay to me, because for the life of me I don't get it.

Also Sorey/Mikleo is hella canon, right? I've been playing for maybe three hours and every line of dialogue that comes from Mikleo screams Love Interest.

Bromance buddy, it's all bromance, lol.

Have you played a Tales game before? Once you get used to it, it becomes very addictive.

Weiss

Banned
Bromance buddy, it's all bromance, lol.

Have you played a Tales game before? Once you get used to it, it becomes very addictive.

I'm just saying, if Mikleo were a girl nobody'd be questioning it.

Anyway I get the actual fights, but all the character customization and micro managing I really don't know where to begin with.

There's no romance in the game at all. Sorey and Mikleo never goes beyond teasing and jokes, and Sorey is pretty much the typical asexual hero.

Cornbread78

I'm just saying, if Mikleo were a girl nobody'd be questioning it.

Anyway I get the actual fights, but all the character customization and micro managing I really don't know where to begin with.

Yeah, there are a lot of things you can do, but give it some time before you get too crazy with it. Collect lots of items/materials in the meantime.

There's no romance in the game at all. Sorey and Mikleo never goes beyond teasing and jokes, and Sorey is pretty much the typical asexual hero.

Yeah, Alisha got screwed over when she should have been the Shepard's pie.

Weiss

Banned
Yep, hella canon. I don't care what anyone says, these two dudes are boffing.

Their house only has one bed. They just had a tickle fight.

Trojita

Sorey is either gay and lovers with Mikleo or altogether asexual (An after battle skit with Mikleo and Zaveid heavily points to this possibility).

Trojita

tumblr_inline_np78d1ZsLC1r4ypgh_500.gif

JpysScg.gif

asexual with gay tendencies? Like being a Republican with Democratic ideals....

ahVwgTC.gif

Hey, is there a source for the claim that Rose's JP VA recorded her lines a year later after everyone else in Zestiria? From my attempted searches, it seems to have as much credibility as the "Baba said Mikleo is Sorey's one and only" thing.

Also, I think I'm done with Tales games following this. Last few entries did nothing for me and I believe Zestiria is easily the worst since DOTNW. Anyone else feel the same?

Cornbread78

Also, I think I'm done with Tales games following this. Last few entries did nothing for me and I believe Zestiria is easily the worst since DOTNW. Anyone else feel the same?

I enjoyed Xillia quite a bit, but I have yet to play Xillia 2, however, Zestiria wasn't far behind that for me. It was a different kind of story from what we have seen recently, but it was still fun to play and enjoyable.

Bowlie

Banned

Kinda. I don't have such strong feelings as yours, but after the Xillias and Zestiria I learned that as much as the trailers show marvelous, profound stories, the games are just more of the same thing. There's a reason why some people call the series "junk food" nowadays.

I don't feel any urge to check Berseria's trailers, nor to buy it when it comes out.

Trojita

Hey, is there a source for the claim that Rose's JP VA recorded her lines a year later after everyone else in Zestiria? From my attempted searches, it seems to have as much credibility as the "Baba said Mikleo is Sorey's one and only" thing.

IDK a lot of Alisha lovers absolutely hate Rose for upstaging her. I've heard stuff like "Baba fell in love with Rose's VA when he met her and decided to make her character the main heroine"

Cornbread78

FYI:
Tales of Zestiria X coming 2016 summer.
Let's see Ufotable will make the story better or will make Japanese even more mad lol.
0k7nxfz.jpg

Tales of Beseria the X staff

Original Character Designers: Mutsumi Inomata, Kosuke Fujishima, Daigo Okumura, Minoru Iwamoto
Director: Haruo Sotozaki
Character Designer: Akira Matsushima
Screenplay: ufotable
Composite Director: Yuichi Terao
3DCG Director: Kazuki Nishiwaki
Art Director: Minji Kim
Color Keys: Yuko Omae
Editor: Manabu Kamino
Music: Motoi Sakuraba, Go Shiina
Opening Theme Song: FLOW
Animation Production: ufotable

Teaser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuq5IXETA00&feature=youtu.be

Almost done with my first playthrough (just have eight more pages in the official guide until the end I think).

Hardest fight was the dragon fight but I did it on Intense, no items, 27 KO's and got the trophy on this playthrough. Vocal song Rising Up just made it all the more epic of an entire event and probably second or third best song in the game.

And I loved the really cheesy scene afterwards when everyone is sharing their feelings and some powerful emotional song is playing through (obligatory like of Meebo and Sorey tickling each other even).

doco

Neo Member
good grief. i just finished watching the scene where alisha invites sorey to go to the pendrago castle with her after the dragon fight. sorey did not even flinch and said "But... That's a dream that you should be the one to fulfill". alisha got friendzoned. Hard.

i could bear the messy subplots and writing until that point. the seraphs did not even bother to suggest to sorey to take that opportunity as a break. earlier in the game, they told sorey to take a break to explore the ruins at rose's old hideout after the first encounter with the lord of calamity. i mean, sorey just went through an intense battle in a life-or-death scenario with a full-fledged malevolence dragon. i don't see why a quick break is not needed now. and what better person to aid sergei and alisha to the kingdom other than the great ol' sheperd for peace negotiations between the two kingdoms?

then that "break" cutscene afterwards of viewing the town at night left the rotten taste in my mouth even fouler.

Beat the game last night on moderate difficulty. I liked how intense and such it was but the ending was a bit of a let down in terms of epilogue. Why couldn't they do the whole hour long epilogue thing.

Anyway I did one up myself on grade from one battle way before the end.
tumblr_o4ypjbDLii1qbxqfpo1_1280.jpg

Cornbread78

good grief. i just finished watching the scene where alisha invites sorey to go to the pendrago castle with her after the dragon fight. sorey did not even flinch and said "But... That's a dream that you should be the one to fulfill". alisha got friendzoned. Hard.

The part your missing is that Mikleo x Sorey is the true ship here.

Lucreto

Is there an easy way to make Gald early on?

I just finished the trial in Gododdin. I am playing on normal and around level 28. I have been having trouble getting decent equipment and the price of save teleporting is insane.

Andrefpvs

i could bear the messy subplots and writing until that point. the seraphs did not even bother to suggest to sorey to take that opportunity as a break. earlier in the game, they told sorey to take a break to explore the ruins at rose's old hideout after the first encounter with the lord of calamity. i mean, sorey just went through an intense battle in a life-or-death scenario with a full-fledged malevolence dragon. i don't see why a quick break is not needed now. and what better person to aid sergei and alisha to the kingdom other than the great ol' sheperd for peace negotiations between the two kingdoms?

then that "break" cutscene afterwards of viewing the town at night left the rotten taste in my mouth even fouler.

Welcome to the "Alisha Was Robbed" Club. We have marrons glacés for everyone.

Lagamorph

So I finally got around to beating this (excluding post game/NG+ anyway), and I didn't like the ending. It was far too bittersweet for my tastes, which seems to be getting a trend in Tales games recently.
The post-credit stuff with
older Mikleo being saved by Sorey
made it a little better, but the
Rose funeral
scene just didn't sit well with me at all.

Durante

Actually, Zestiria made me somewhat more interested in Tales again. The story is significantly less preachy and the characters significantly less annoying than Tales standard.

Cornbread78

I'm still wondering what this anime is. A full on adaptation like Abyss? Or something else/more? Wonder if Alisha is being handled the same way as in the game. Also how long is the anime gonna run? 13 episodes?

It hasn't been specific in either of the PV's, but from the PV it looks like it may cover sone of the story from the game.

I'll give it a watch either way. It sure looks pretty, lol.

Here is the most recent English sub version.

https://youtu.be/u9PJGxaXBpA

Lanrutcon

So I grabbed this on the sale, and I patched it for glorious 60 fps.

Any tips for a new player? the fusing stuff confuses me (pun intended), and I'm unsure what difficulty level to play at.

Top Bottom