• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria |OT| - Sorey, Modders did what Bamcouldn't!

Really?I kind of like how basic gear can become really awesome due to planning and maximizing unions and stacks. Like my sorey and mikleo are awesome cause of the SC and BG and HP recoveries, and with Mikleo the chain in which water breaks through resistances.

I don't know I just find it really boring. I mean every time I get a new piece of gear, I look at it, compare it to my current gear, and then throw up my hands and say "fuck it, no idea what's better". It kills the sense of progression you're supposed to get by getting to new towns and unlocking new stores. I go look in the store for new gear when i reach a new town, and everything looks like garbage compared to my existing gear, since it has only 1 skill on it usually, and my existing gear is stronger even in base stats since I've upgraded it.

90% of the skills you see are crap like HP+60 on evasion, or 10% against crustaceans, or other highly situational stuff that doesn't help you most of the time.

And i don't want to sit around thinking about G-Unions and E-Unions when I just want to upgrade and move on to the next part of the story.

It's like an entire meta-game to itself that I just don't want to play. I don't even remember the last time I got a new piece of gear that I looked at, and was like "whoa that's clearly an upgrade". It's more like "it might be an upgrade, if I can ever figure out where to get another one so I can fuse it, and all the skills are just right, and I spent 45 minutes trying to fuse it in a way that I keep the skills I want and don't overwrite them accidentally"

Falk

that puzzling face
I just feel that there's nothing left to tell in that universe. Hell, Xillia 2's plot had little to nothing to do with Xillia 1's plot.

Short of aliens invading, I don't think my heart can take yet another "oh the peace didn't last all too long" or "we discovered we're actually part of an even larger world" for Xillia.

SaintZ

I'd love to play in those recycled areas again in a potential Xillia 3
iuvgqnvb3iajzn7u0h.gif

pbayne

Finally got around to Zesteria and my alsiha dlc code was expired. Sad times.

Enjoy it so far even if the combat feels a little stiff at times and jesus who thought that skill/equipment system was a good idea.

Ian Sinclair is so good as Zaveid. Getting space dandy in a tales game ah yeah.

kewlmyc

In the ending to Xillia 2
things basically just started over, we need to go back to end it :)

Started over? *Xillia 2 ending spoilers*
After Ludger dies, there's a 10 year or so time skip where Spyrite technology has been perfected, both worlds are getting along, all the fractured dimensions are gone, and Ludger is still dead, for the sake of Elle living. I can't think of any loose ends other than Milla and Jude wanting to bang that wasn't handled by that 10 year time skip. Unless people want a plot about resurrecting Ludger and fighting a spirit that controls time and space, which seems dangerously close to FFX-2 territory. Not a fan of a 3rd game having a plot of just trying to undo the previous game's ending.

Cornbread78

Man, all this Xillia talk. I almost want to go back and finish my second playthrough as Millia then move on to Xillia 2. Just too many games and not enough time, lol.

I've tweeted TalesOfU Twitter, Bandai Namco EU twitter and Tales Series Facebok - still no response.

Posted in the Tales Reddit and the game's forums lol.

This is really sad that they arent on this issue.

-__-

Is there no way to purchase it from anywhere else other than the Steam Store? All I can find is the base game on Amazon, GMG, Humble Store, etc...
Guess they listened to you. While reading GAF's Steam Community thread, it seems Alisha's Story is once again available on Steam. I must say that took a while, but nice to see they finally sorted it out in the end.

75 hours in this game. I cant just stop playing and move on I keep trying different builds for Sorey, it feels so different to not have all the unions for HP recovery and BG rows. My old +20+ gear is better than some of the new gear I find. Also I guess Im too leveled because if I dont put it on Chaos the enemies are either at or less than my level.

Storywise, Im searching for orbs.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Ugh. I haven't changed a damn thing and now the game constantly crashes while I try to play it. :(.

Edit: Of course it works with TZFix removed. I had the same exact shit happen with Dark Souls and DSFix and the issue just randomly went away. Wonder if a reboot is in order?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
You know, maybe they should change the scale of the modern Tales games. Make it like Graces, it's not too ambitious nor is too small. Graces has the perfect battle system and world size.

Cornbread78

You know, maybe they should change the scale of the modern Tales games. Make it like Graces, it's not too ambitious nor is too small. Graces has the perfect battle system and world size.

That makes sense because if anyone is like me, I play Tales for the battle system, story and the skits. It creates a fun game to play and the character interactions are excellently enhanced by the skits.

tauke

Ugh. I haven't changed a damn thing and now the game constantly crashes while I try to play it. :(.

Edit: Of course it works with TZFix removed. I had the same exact shit happen with Dark Souls and DSFix and the issue just randomly went away. Wonder if a reboot is in order?

When I first time setup TZfix, it keep crashing when I try to load a game.

I fixed it by reinstalling vcredist.exe (if not mistaken it is the 2013 version and x64)

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Actually had to change a few settings in d3d9.ini to make it work again but now it's running at least.

tauke

Actually had to change a few settings in d3d9.ini to make it work again but now it's running at least.

Curious what changes you did as my trouble with TZfix is that it keep crashing whenever I load any game after installing it. Tinkering around with all the possible tweaks still resulted in the same results and a quick search on Steam forum did give me a hint to try reinstalling vcredist.exe which works on my end.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Curious what changes you did as my trouble with TZfix is that it keep crashing whenever I load any game after installing it. Tinkering around with all the possible tweaks still resulted in the same results and a quick search on Steam forum did give me a hint to try reinstalling vcredist.exe which works on my end.

I went into d3d9.ini and

Changed from ForceD3D9Ex=True to False
Then I changed Backbuffer Count to 0 and Prerender Limit to 1.

Oddly enough they are both back to -1 as they were before my changes, but the game starts properly now so it must be some sort of bug. Granted, my game crashed upon startup so you might have a different issue. You could post in the TZfix topic on the ToZ Steam Discussion, Kalaiden is frequently in there answering questions and helping out :)

Cornbread78

OK, so I played a little more of the Alisha DLC last night and ran into the fight with
Lady Maltran

I gave up after 5-6 tries, so is it me, or is there a huge difficulty spike right there? I didn't want to have to backtrack and grind to level-up, but damn... all those Mystic Art attacks..

grimmiq

Finally getting around to playing this and enjoying it so far, but a little confused at what just happened..

Just finished the first trial.

Sorey got the
powered up flames and was told he had to char the face of either him or Lailah. He seemed to be psyching himself up to burn his own face, Lailah shouting for him not to, this is where I'm confused but it may have just been poorly animated..

Lailah moved in front of Sorey and seemed to be pushing the sword away from herself(towards Sorey, maybe just poorly animated and she was actually pulling it away from him?) while telling him not shoulder the burden himself. She also had her face right up in the flames of the blade..did she brand herself or was this just awkward posing/camera angles? I get that she doesn't want him hurt and something similar seemed to have happened before to another shepherd, but I assume that'll be explained later and that the branding was a 2nd test that he would've failed if he'd smacked Lailah in the face with the sword.

bomblord1

Banned
SO I know I'm late but just started this game on PS4. I'm just a little ways in in Marland.

So far. I LOVE the art style.

I feel like there's a deep battle system here with all the stuff that's thrown at me CONSTANTLY after battles (I honestly don't remember a quarter of it) but I wouldn't know because I can literally beat every battle by mashing the O button with a few X's thrown in. Strong enemies I just armatize. I tried upping the difficulty but got the same result.

Story I don't get why everyone is just so willing to throw down everything for Sorey and act like they've known him for years after first meeting him but it's a little off putting. A lot of the dialogue is incredibly awkward and stilted as well with long pauses and people finishing with just a nod and a "yea". The voice cast is good but the dialogue itself is what's at fault here. The goings on of the people/empires/Seriph seem interesting but so much is left out that I'm not entirely sure. There's been more than one occasion where people just throw themselves into something without question or explanation (How did they know an Earth Seraph live don the mountain? Why did we go to that mansion and how did they know it was rumored to be haunted? etc) and it bugs me basically you are thrust into one thing after another with next to no context. The seraph not being able to be seen by normal humans and the "Duty of the Shepard" is an incredibly interesting gimmick though and I'm interested to see how they play it out. Edna is by far my favorite character so far she's got the most personality of the entire bunch and isn't quite as defined by her trope as the rest of the party.

Overall it seems worth playing but the story and battsystem is a lot weaker than any other tales game I've played up to this point (skipped the PS3 ones so I don't know anything about them)

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I've been playing this game for the last couple of weeks. Love the party, probably one of my favorite parties in a recent RPG.

Just got the PS1 style infodump on the return trip to Loghrin.

My reaction during the scenes

pr0S6UF.gif

Cornbread78

I've been playing this game for the last couple of weeks. Love the party, probably one of my favorite parties in a recent RPG.

Just got the PS1 style infodump on the return trip to Loghrin.

My reaction during the scenes

Lol, Edna, Lailah and Rose were all pretty damn good in my opinion. Edna's smart ass attitude ws fun.

my only complain is how the equipment feels... meh..
I mean, most of times I even to do puzzle style mind-game, swapping around gear so that they manage to get INCREASED statistics by a certain margin while loosing as few as possible gear-skill..
At times I just give up and say "screw it" and keep the gear i have..
which is not actually what i would do in an rpg...

Diodiablo

Banned
Having problem with the crucibles.

Sorey's and Mikleo's were ok, but Lailah's and Rose's are driving me mad, they take too much damage from everything and I have to use recovery items, which actually pause them for a sec and have the enemies throw another attack in for good measure.

Any suggestions?

Trojita

Sorey's and Mikleo's were ok, but Lailah's and Rose's are driving me mad, they take too much damage from everything and I have to use recovery items, which actually pause them for a sec and have the enemies throw another attack in for good measure.

Any suggestions?
Did you try lowering the difficulty?

Ascheroth

Any suggestions?

Iirc for Lailah's I did the dodge->dodge->dodge->quick cast thing. Don't even bother trying to melee the enemies, stay out of their way. And use your mystic arte against the more troublesome enemies.
I don't remember having much trouble with Rose's, but that's probably because I mained her most of the time, haha.
Her Dream Slasher is extremely powerful and fast to use.

There's also no shame in coming back later after they gained a few more levels. I remember Lailahs crucible was the first one I did not complete immediately after I found it.

Cornbread78

Is there any way to differentiate the Crucibles you finished and haven't finished yet?

Should be an easy trophy to go back and get..

SaintZ

I only did Sorey's crucible during the main game and went back after I was done with the big bad. It was so much easier that way lol.

Andrefpvs

I need some advice. I'm about to do my first New Game + (with all Grade Shop options selected, except the detrimental and the 8000 grade one), and if I understand correctly, I'm going to lose most of my equipment when I do this.

So, before I start NG+, what should I do with the hundreds of equipment I have? Should I fuse them all with my "fuse anything" gear and then sanctify it? That will turn it into Unnamed Gear and allow me to carry it over, right?

After failing to beat dark turtlez 1000 times I finally just went ahead and beat the game...

I gotta say, everybody who said the tiamat was the last high point, lied.

Trojita

What did you think of that ending?

Um well I kind of was like "Wut" when they showed Rose's friends all old, Rose's grave, A new Shepherd, and all the Seraph Party. The clip just came out of nowhere in the middle of the credits. After the credits they then show an older looking Mikleo (gorgeous), in what seems like it would have to be way after Rose died, and the person that grabbed him was obviously Sorey, but come on at least show him!

The woodblock images in the credits were nice, especially the animated ones with the best being the child Sorey and Mikleo fooling around in the ruin and accidentally springing a trap xD.

Abdiel

Um well I kind of was like "Wut" when they showed Rose's friends all old, Rose's grave, A new Shepherd, and all the Seraph Party. The clip just came out of nowhere in the middle of the credits. After the credits they then show an older looking Mikleo (gorgeous), in what seems like it would have to be way after Rose died, and the person that grabbed him was obviously Sorey, but come on at least show him!

The woodblock images in the credits were nice, especially the animated ones with the best being the child Sorey and Mikleo fooling around in the ruin and accidentally springing a trap xD.

Mm. The ending sat with me for a few days as I mulled it over.

I wanted to actually feel like we saw the result of what happened, not just knowing that he successfully bonded with the Great Spirit and all that, and went to sleep... The whole showing Rose having died and her friends being old was kind of a weird moment, I was like, reeling a bit from the emotional jolt of "Oh, yeah, so, um, she's just dead now."

And then the cutaway after showing Sorey clearly rescuing Mikleo from that fall, but no actual details of anything, or any context of how long it was... I guess I wanted my little details. The Tales games for me are about the characters. Having the ending seem to neglect a lot of that characterization in a more general way bugged me a little, and damn was it a somber way to go out on, other than the cutaway bit.

(I also agree with whoever it was that posted above... Xillia 2, I just want to see Millia and Jude together. That tension is so thick you could cut it with a goddamn knife. FIgure that shit out, give me some kind of post-game content where we see them together. I just want to know they finally have each other, the way they deserve each other. Two games worth of build up with no true payoff was romance blue-balls! Sigh.)

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I'm still one achievement away from 100% because of Dietician's Nightmare. I should put two rubber bands on the controller and leave Sorey running in circles again.

I gave up on him as well, lol. There's gotta be a better way because power-leveling didn't work.

It's been a long time since I played but I remember abusing the earth seraph fusion grab move on him. it was charge my shield then hit then hit then whatever spell that grab. Was pretty long but still beated him when he was something like 20 level higher then me.

Top Bottom