• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria |OT| - Sorey, Modders did what Bamcouldn't!

aitakute

Just some info about the lastest "What is your favorite tales of game's story?" poll in Japan
1st: Tales of the Abyss
2nd: Tales of Vesperia
3rd: Tales of Xillia 2
4th: Tales of Symphonia
5th: Tales of Legendia

And the "What is your favorite battle system?" poll
1st: Tales of Graces f
2nd: Tales of Xillia 2
3rd: Tales of Vesperia
4th: Tales of Xillia
5th: Tales of the Abyss

kewlmyc

Just some info about the lastest "What is your favorite tales of game's story?" poll in Japan

I can agree with these lists, even though I think Vesperia's story gets pretty mediocre in the 3rd act.

Firestorm

Yeah of what I played, Vesperia up to end of Act 2 and Abyss are definitely my favourite stories. Legendia was great because of the Character Quests.

As badly designed as the Alisha DLC was, I hope more entries in the series have an epilogue chapter like that as I love having them.

Graces F was best story and best battle system for me, no Eternia love is saddening.

--

Finished all the trials, now I hope Im close to end game, Im 62 hours in. I also must be over leveled since on hard Im winning against the bosses now [ no items ]

aitakute

The lists seem like they excluded 2D Tales games aside the 2.5D Legendia.

There are. But they are not in the top 5. They even have the comments about the other games
In the story
Phantasia
Eternia
Rebirth
Heart
Graces

Gameplay
Destiny
Destiny 2
Innocence
Twin Brave
Asteria
Zestiria

Not in particular order though

SaintZ

Phantasia was the best story... but I guess nobody plays that anymore.
I agree with this.

At least Japan got the best battle system poll right.

I began playing the Alisha DLC last night and oh boy. The enemies are so annoying with all those resistances and they are really strong D: (I haven't done the post game stuff in the main game). I'm stuck on floors 5/6/7. I just don't know where to go and I keep running in circles dammit. I hate that all these ruins look the same, it makes the exploring really tedious.

mdzapeer

I started playing Tales of Zestiria(PC) and noticed that the textures look upscaled, like the ones you see on emulators or remasters of PS2 games.

I did a google search on PS3 vs PS4 version of the game and sure enough the PS3 textures are pretty blurry and low res compared to the PS4 version, which are surprise surprise are just upscaled versions of those textures. That makes sense considering that the PS3 was the lead platform. But what does not make sense is that, the textures they created were not originally higher in resolution?

Personally I always prefer original textures without any upressing filters applied to them. Its mostly fine for the most part but when you see it does look distracting and are reminded of the fact its not the original texture created by the artist.

video comparing the two

PS3 vs PS4 comparsion

Amon37

So I'm checking a walk through from time to time to make sure I don't miss anything.
I just beat the water trial and the walkthrough says this is the last time I can meet heldaph to trigger an alternate ending. Do I want to do this? I'm only planning on playing through once.

started it tonight and I am in love. The presentiation like always is top notch. I really love all the Tales menus and fonts etc.

dat music THO...

wow

Paltheos

That's a letdown. I really like allot of what Zestiria does. I've played all the games on those lists except Xillia 2 and Legendia, and I peg Zestiria above a few of them pretty cleanly. If the Japanese fans are still spurning the game because of the Alisha deal, I really hope Bamco doesn't back away from the things which work in this game. Zestiria has allot of problems but despite them I think this is the overall strongest title in the series in a long time.

Japan's pretty close to my feeling on battle systems though (minus again the exclusion of Zestiria which should definitely be in there, above Xillia, equal(?) to Vesperia). Graces is almost perfect in every way. The artes system is cool, most of the characters are fun to play and easy to pick up, the skills and titles system are addictive to work towards. The only thing I can think of that I don't like is that enemies sometimes pop out of combos for no good reason and that the eleth gauge system is dumb - I don't like being at the mercy of the bar. Vesperia's manual, shared overlimit bar is the best. The only thing I like about the eleth gauge is that you can see when the opponent can mystic arte, which is pretty nice.

I'd put Zestiria story in the top 5. There's a major flub around a third of the way and there's some elements I don't like but the experience is remarkably coherent and smooth for a Tales game. By that I mean characters don't act in dumb or inconsistent ways all that often, which is often the grease for the wheels in these games. I'd definitely rank it above Abyss which... doesn't really belong up there. Man, that game. I really like the scenario and ideas behind it but the execution is so lacking. It has infamously awful pacing, half the cast are unlikable jackasses, and it suffers from Tales-brand stupidity most of the way.

Welp, I wonder if we ever get Alisha's Story DLC on Steam. Without it, it's impossible to get all the achievements or access extra content.

A user on Steam Community supposedly received an e-mail from Bandai Namco, this was their answer:
0EdQapY.png

Not sure if this problem ever gets corrected (as soon it has been two months since). People have tried tweeting to @TalesofU, yet they haven't said anything. If anyone on GAF cares, then all kind of help is appreciated. Here is how the store page looks like right now:

I'm sure everyone is grateful that they fixed God Eater DLC for pre-orderers and Alisha's Story DLC's save issues. While graphical/sound/framerate issues can be fixed by talented people (e.g. Durante, Kaldaien, DrDaxxy etc.), they cannot make DLC available for legal reasons.

Even now, ToZ still has a critical bug affected by higher sample rates which causes crashing (and this can be fixed with a patch made by a fan or by setting sample rate lower than 48 0000 Hz).

Sandfox

That's a letdown. I really like allot of what Zestiria does. I've played all the games on those lists except Xillia 2 and Legendia, and I peg Zestiria above a few of them pretty cleanly. If the Japanese fans are still spurning the game because of the Alisha deal, I really hope Bamco doesn't back away from the things which work in this game. Zestiria has allot of problems but despite them I think this is the overall strongest title in the series in a long time.

Japan's pretty close to my feeling on battle systems though (minus again the exclusion of Zestiria which should definitely be in there, above Xillia, equal(?) to Vesperia). Graces is almost perfect in every way. The artes system is cool, most of the characters are fun to play and easy to pick up, the skills and titles system are addictive to work towards. The only thing I can think of that I don't like is that enemies sometimes pop out of combos for no good reason and that the eleth gauge system is dumb - I don't like being at the mercy of the bar. Vesperia's manual, shared overlimit bar is the best. The only thing I like about the eleth gauge is that you can see when the opponent can mystic arte, which is pretty nice.

I'd put Zestiria story in the top 5. There's a major flub around a third of the way and there's some elements I don't like but the experience is remarkably coherent and smooth for a Tales game. By that I mean characters don't act in dumb or inconsistent ways all that often, which is often the grease for the wheels in these games. I'd definitely rank it above Abyss which... doesn't really belong up there. Man, that game. I really like the scenario and ideas behind it but the execution is so lacking. It has infamously awful pacing, half the cast are unlikable jackasses, and it suffers from Tales-brand stupidity most of the way.

IMO Zestiria's story was disappointing and the Alisha-Rose thing was part of it.

Paltheos

IMO Zestiria's story was disappointing and the Alisha-Rose thing was part of it.

How? Alisha's departure is foreshadowed pretty clearly and while the execution of it should have been better she doesn't fit in the party. The Shepherd should not entangle himself in political matters, and Alisha's goals are political. It's something we learn along the way and the conflict between their goals becomes more obvious as we go along.

I don't get Rose. I haven't seen many others say that, but I don't get the character. In retrospect her role in the story makes sense but at the time I didn't understand. The focus of the story made that a point I could mostly overlook though.

Other Tales games get over ambitious or try shoehorning in characters and subplots that aren't really important or don't make sense for whole hosts of reasons, but Zestiria keeps it nice and simple. We learn as much about the characters as we need to without a stupid subplot or rivalry that ruins my suspense of disbelief. Zestiria is the story of the Shepherd Sorey. It's framed that way from the very beginning and with few missteps or distractions that's what it's about.

Allot of people like the rivalries and whatnot in Abyss and while I do agree Abyss does it better than something like Xillia which is the tryhardiest Tales game yet, it does so at the expense of pacing and common sense, constantly, and brings down the overall experience for it.

One of the nicer, subtler touches of Zestiria that I haven't seen anyone talk about is that
the resolution of Edna's subplot and the completion of her character arc is entirely optional.
It's not important to Sorey's story, and everything we can learn from it we already learned from a recent encounter. I want to say an older Tales game would find some stupid reason to send you back to that location, but they don't here, and I appreciate that.

While I'm sure allot of people share my dissatisfaction with the game's technical flaws, I'm a little afraid that the general dislike I've picked up on might come from this being a different title than what we're used to.

kewlmyc

How? Alisha's departure is foreshadowed pretty clearly and while the execution of it should have been better she doesn't fit in the party. The Shepherd should not entangle himself in political matters, and Alisha's goals are political. It's something we learn along the way and the conflict between their goals becomes more obvious as we go along.

I don't get Rose. I haven't seen many others say that, but I don't get the character. In retrospect her role in the story makes sense but at the time I didn't understand. The focus of the story made that a point I could mostly overlook though.

Other Tales games get over ambitious or try shoehorning in characters and subplots that aren't really important or don't make sense for whole hosts of reasons, but Zestiria keeps it nice and simple. We learn as much about the characters as we need to without a stupid subplot or rivalry that ruins my suspense of disbelief. Zestiria is the story of the Shepherd Sorey. It's framed that way from the very beginning and with few missteps or distractions that's what it's about.

Allot of people like the rivalries and whatnot in Abyss and while I do agree Abyss does it better than something like Xillia which is the tryhardiest Tales game yet, it does so at the expense of pacing and common sense, constantly, and brings down the overall experience for it.

One of the nicer, subtler touches of Zestiria that I haven't seen anyone talk about is that
the resolution of Edna's subplot and the completion of her character arc is entirely optional.
It's not important to Sorey's story, and everything we can learn from it we already learned from a recent encounter. I want to say an older Tales game would find some stupid reason to send you back to that location, but they don't here, and I appreciate that.

While I'm sure allot of people share my dissatisfaction with the game's technical flaws, I'm a little afraid that the general dislike I've picked up on might come from this being a different title than what we're used to.

I think Alisha is boring as hell, and didn't miss her in the party, but the whole thing with Rose kinda irked me for some reason. It felt as if the game kept going out of it's way to make you like her, with characters going "Yo, you should totally get her to join our group. Despite being a murderer and trying to kill you before, she's pure of heart and really awesome. Like really awesome. Did I say how awesome she was?" Her whole introduction and certain scenes featuring her moral ambiguity came off as forced when they should have been standouts.

Firestorm

I appreciated the sentiment that Sorey couldn't get caught up in every small affair of every town he came across until it turned out that he did need to get caught up in every small affair of every town he came across because that's how you get the required iris gems.

Sandfox

My issue with Alisha-Rose thing is the thing kewlmyc mentioned because the way the two characters were written bothered me. Also, I wasn't a fan of the thing you spoilered or how disappointing a certain other character's subplot ended up being. This game just didn't gel with me like the others games I have played in the series.

I appreciated the sentiment that Sorey couldn't get caught up in every small affair of every town he came across until it turned out that he did need to get caught up in every small affair of every town he came across because that's how you get the required iris gems.

Another thing I didn't like was how
trial power hunting was followed up with Iris gem hunting.
The Tales series needs to ditch the 3-act thing because it screws with the stories in a lot of the games.

aitakute

More poll result this week
Which Tales world you want to visit the most?
1st Vesperia
2nd Xillia 2
3rd Xillia
4th Zestiria
5th Radiant Mythology 3

BasilZero

Welp, I wonder if we ever get Alisha's Story DLC on Steam. Without it, it's impossible to get all the achievements or access extra content.

A user on Steam Community supposedly received an e-mail from Bandai Namco, this was their answer:

Not sure if this problem ever gets corrected (as soon it has been two months since). People have tried tweeting to @TalesofU, yet they haven't said anything. If anyone on GAF cares, then all kind of help is appreciated. Here is how the store page looks like right now:

I'm sure everyone is grateful that they fixed God Eater DLC for pre-orderers and Alisha's Story DLC's save issues. While graphical/sound/framerate issues can be fixed by talented people (e.g. Durante, Kaldaien, DrDaxxy etc.), they cannot make DLC available for legal reasons.

Even now, ToZ still has a critical bug affected by higher sample rates which causes crashing (and this can be fixed with a patch made by a fan or by setting sample rate lower than 48 0000 Hz).

I've tweeted TalesOfU Twitter, Bandai Namco EU twitter and Tales Series Facebok - still no response.

Posted in the Tales Reddit and the game's forums lol.

This is really sad that they arent on this issue.

-__-

Is there no way to purchase it from anywhere else other than the Steam Store? All I can find is the base game on Amazon, GMG, Humble Store, etc...

I'm starting to really hate the way gear works in this game. I feel like nothing is ever an upgrade due to the way skills work. Really sucks and I hope they do something different next game

I'm starting to really hate the way gear works in this game. I feel like nothing is ever an upgrade due to the way skills work. Really sucks and I hope they do something different next game

Really?I kind of like how basic gear can become really awesome due to planning and maximizing unions and stacks. Like my sorey and mikleo are awesome cause of the SC and BG and HP recoveries, and with Mikleo the chain in which water breaks through resistances.

Top Bottom