• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria |OT| - Sorey, Modders did what Bamcouldn't!

ezodagrom

Nice! That's pretty helpful. I wonder which of those eras Berseria will take place in seeing as they say it'll be in the same world but earlier in history (sorta like Phantasia / Symphonia).
I'm thinking it may be around the
Asgard Unification Period (Graceful Asgard) - 1000 years ago
, mostly due to it mentioning the invention of ocean navigation.

So when does the game start to pick up? I'm in Marlind and just finished the haunted museum.

Ironically enough I would say the game picks up after the museum. That being said, I personally feel that this game is like a long plateau overall.

---------------------

Now that I finished the game and the DLC my overall feelings of the game are rather "meh" more than anything. Everything felt rather safe and the story was pretty predictable but as I stated before the way they described the past events was rather confusing in terms of placing them within a timeline. There are questions that were also left unanswered, like
who was Innominat
. The ending made sense, but it definitely wasn't satisfying, especially after the Alisha DLC which was screaming sequel bait. (And don't get me stated on that stupid dungeon at the end of that DLC.)

But at least the characters were interesting (Edna's the best) and the music was good, especially at the
Tiamat fight
where I felt the game reached it's zenith.

And lastly, I'm also glad that the game, for a JRPG at least, was on the shorter side and didn't really overstay it's welcome (with exception of the dungeon in the Alisha DLC).

I just noticed in a video that a guy has different artes in the up/down and left/right configuration, how do you achieve that?? When I put an arte in the up slot in takes the down slot too, same for the left/right

Cornbread78

I just noticed in a video that a guy has different artes in the up/down and left/right configuration, how do you achieve that?? When I put an arte in the up slot in takes the down slot too, same for the left/right

I have no idea, but it just let me start doing that and I'm at the final boss area.

You should be able to change it when you go down the arte configuration list. If it's highlighted in blue you should be able to change it without interfering with your other selected artes. (At least that's the case for me in manual mode.)

Ironically enough I would say the game picks up after the museum. That being said, I personally feel that this game is like a long plateau overall.

---------------------

Now that I finished the game and the DLC my overall feelings of the game are rather "meh" more than anything. Everything felt rather safe and the story was pretty predictable but as I stated before the way they described the past events was rather confusing in terms of placing them within a timeline. There are questions that were also left unanswered, like
who was Innominat
. The ending made sense, but it definitely wasn't satisfying, especially after the Alisha DLC which was screaming sequel bait. (And don't get me stated on that stupid dungeon at the end of that DLC.)

But at least the characters were interesting (Edna's the best) and the music was good, especially at the
Tiamat fight
where I felt the game reached it's zenith.

And lastly, I'm also glad that the game, for a JRPG at least, was on the shorter side and didn't really overstay it's welcome (with exception of the dungeon in the Alisha DLC).
Thanks, I'm guessing I more than likely won't finish this:/

I should've taken a break from tales like I said I would.

I have no idea, but it just let me start doing that and I'm at the final boss area.

You should be able to change it when you go down the arte configuration list. If it's highlighted in blue you should be able to change it without interfering with your other selected artes. (At least that's the case for me in manual mode.)

Thanks, I changed the blue ones!

Also I noticed this thing, is it normal that some attachments have clipping? Like the bones mask on Rose, it doesn't look good because it clips through the hair

Maebe

Nice! That's pretty helpful. I wonder which of those eras Berseria will take place in seeing as they say it'll be in the same world but earlier in history (sorta like Phantasia / Symphonia).

I wonder if it's "destiny dawn"? It's reaaaally far back but it states seraphim were visible to most humans, like the new seraph character in berseria seems to be. Unless he isn't and only Velvet can see him.

Cornbread78

Ok, I have the Santification boon checked off, but the option doesn't appear on the menu to actually sacrifice equipment. .. What's up with that?

So when does the game start to pick up? I'm in Marlind and just finished the haunted museum.

I think the game had always stayed up for me, though probably since you already start with the two best characters.
CXeQOWuWwAAhWxA.jpg

Zakalwe

Banned
I've never played a Tales game before, I've been searching for an RPG like this on PC for a while.

Maybe because I'm so bored with western style RPGs, and the fact I've missed this series, but so far this game is fantastic. I'm having more fun with this and Ori and the Blind Forest than any other game this year (Tales from the Borderlands aside, but I prefer games with more active skill based gameplay).

Is there anything else like it on PC? As modern as possible (not really interested in more retro ports/styles. Turn based is fine too - currently playing through FFLR and enjoying it))

(((Thanks)))

kewlmyc

I've never played a Tales game before, I've been searching for an RPG like this on PC for a while.

Maybe because I'm so bored with western style RPGs, and the fact I've missed this series, but so far this game is fantastic. I'm having more fun with this and Ori and the Blind Forest than any other game this year (Tales from the Borderlands aside, but I prefer games with more active skill based gameplay).

Is there anything else like it on PC? As modern as possible (not really interested in more retro ports/styles. Turn based is fine too - currently playing through FFLR and enjoying it))

(((Thanks)))

Try Ys Orgins or Ys Oath.

Zakalwe

Banned
Try Ys Orgins or Ys Oath.

I was turned off a little by the visuals and design. I'd love to play these games on a handheld device, but I have trouble getting into the on my PC.

Judging by the overwhelming feedback on Steam that;s worth trying to overcome.

What do you think is so great about the two you recommended?

demidar

I was turned off a little by the visuals and design. I'd love to play these games on a handheld device, but I have trouble getting into the on my PC.

Judging by the overwhelming feedback on Steam that;s worth trying to overcome.

What do you think is so great about the two you recommended?

In terms of gameplay in an ARPG, Ys Oath/Origin are some of the best in the entire genre.

Cornbread78

Anyone have a good way to get the trophy for getting an item with all 4 slots with the same ability? That or the 16 stack bonus trophy..

Zakalwe

Banned
I'll check both games out when I'm done here.

Just installed the fix, this game looks glorious at 60fps. I was happy with 30 as the frame pacing was so smooth, but was curious to see how it felt to play at 60.

Glad I was.

Cornbread78

OK, that ending, wtf.

Did they literally
kill off the entire cast other than Rose/Alicia? I had a feeling Sorey was going to die, but not the entire crew and even gramps, but that smile and the orbs at the end? Uggh.

From the Tales games this is a huge departure, no?
Bittersweet isn't even the word for this ending, it's actually really sad and frustrating at the same time. Then, they put that cut into the credits? What was that? A future Shepard?

kewlmyc

OK, that ending, wtf.

Did they literally
kill off the entire cast other than Rose/Alicia? I had a feeling Sorey was going to die, but not the entire crew and even gramps, but that smile and the orbs at the end? Uggh.

Bittersweet isn't even the word for this ending, it's actually really sad and frustrating at the same time. Then, they put that cut into the credits? What was that? A future Shepard?

...What kind of ending did you get?

Rose and Alisha are the only ones who die, and it's due to old age. The grave that Edna, Lailah, Zavied, and Mikleo are looking at is Rose, who died of old age eventually. Then we flash toward an older Mikleo roaming some ruins. Given that he's aged, it's implied that many years have passed since Sorey died. 700 to be exact. He isn't with the other seraph but I don't assume they're dead considering how long seraph live. The hand that grabs Mikleo is Sorey's. Sorey didn't technically die, he was sealed until all the impurities of the world are gone. Sorey is finally unsealed, leading him to grab Mikleo and save him. It's the same as the beginning of the game, but with Sorey grabbing Mikleo instead of the opposite.

No seriously, I'm confused as to what ending you got. There's only two, the bad end which doesn't match your description, and the regular end, which also doesn't match your description.

OK, that ending, wtf.

Did they literally

You should play the Alisha DLC because you really misunderstood the ending.

Cornbread78

...What kind of ending did you get?

Rose and Alisha are the only ones who die, and it's due to old age. The grave that Edna, Lailah, Zavied, and Mikleo are looking at is Rose, who died of old age eventually. Then we flash toward an older Mikleo roaming some ruins. Given that he's aged, it's implied that many years have passed since Sorey died. 700 to be exact. He isn't with the other seraph but I don't assume they're dead considering how long seraph live. The hand that grabs Mikleo is Sorey's. Sorey didn't technically die, he was sealed until all the impurities of the world are gone. Sorey is finally unsealed, leading him to grab Mikleo and save him. It's the same as the beginning of the game, but with Sorey grabbing Mikleo instead of the opposite.

No seriously, I'm confused as to what ending you got. There's only two, the bad end which doesn't match your description, and the regular end, which also doesn't match your description.

Uggh, maybe it was too late to fully grasp that. Damn ambiguous endings, lol

You should play the Alisha DLC because you really misunderstood the ending.

Yeah, started it up and I was getting serious FF X-2 vibes, LOL.

It's been years since I've played a proper tales game. I think vesperia? On 360 I am dying for a JRPG on my console after beating Yo-Kai watch. Is this halfway decent?

Zakalwe

Banned
It's been years since I've played a proper tales game. I think vesperia? On 360 I am dying for a JRPG on my console after beating Yo-Kai watch. Is this halfway decent?

I've never played a Tales game before and I'm in love with the game so far (about 5-6 hours in), not sure what that will mean to you.

Charming characters, decent story so far, excellent battle system (camera aside), beautiful art design (even it it's sparse in places due to the ps3 limitations, it looks lovely more often - especially the wonderful character animations).

My favourite JRPG before this was TWEWY or FF7/8, I'm not very well versed in the genre so I might not have as high a bar as some of you here.

Cornbread78

It didn't have any major flaws, IMO. The story was pretty good and game is what you expect from a Tales game; fast and fun.

Ok I'm about 6 hours in and I just beat the Drake after the haunted mansion.

loving the game so far but I have 2 questions.

where do I get the Alishas Story DLC on PS4 and when should I play through it?

Cornbread78

Ok I'm about 6 hours in and I just beat the Drake after the haunted mansion.

loving the game so far but I have 2 questions.

where do I get the Alishas Story DLC on PS4 and when should I play through it?

The DLC came free with preorders and early adapters, but should be up on PSN now as well. Play it after the main story, it's a follow up to the events.

Do the field bosses scale with level? Went back to the very first one at level 30 and it still hit like a truck, was getting one shotted on moderate.

Do they ever become pushovers?

Bowlie

Banned
Do the field bosses scale with level? Went back to the very first one at level 30 and it still hit like a truck, was getting one shotted on moderate.

Do they ever become pushovers?

I don't think so. When I got back to Lakehaven Heights, I crushed that blue/purple wolf (maybe that's the one you're mentioning) with no trouble at all.

Also, since the only benefit you get from defeating them is the HP+ item, you could just kill them all on the easiest difficulty.

Cornbread78

Fighting with Alisha with this dlc is so awkward after controlling Sorey. She is so slow and her moves are blah. I need a LOT of practice with her because I'm dying from regular enemies in the first dungeon area.

Top Bottom