• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria will only be 30FPS on PS4 and PC

Adaren

Their explanation makes it sound like they really did try to port it to 60 fps and just couldn't. The fact that there are other non-trivial graphical improvements backs it up.

Hopefully they'll keep it in mind for future Tales games, though...

Buburibon

I think tying logic to framerate is forgivable if you develop a game with the intention of it only being on a platform that can only handle the visuals you want at 30fps. By the time they decided to do PS4 and PC ports for Zestiria they were most likely way too far along for it to be practical to go back and re-write all the code that was built around the assumption of a locked 30fps.

If the *next* Tales game has that same issue, then that's something worth shitting on them for, absolutely.

Can't say I'm happy about the 30fps cap, but I have to agree with what you're saying. So, I'll do my best to give them the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Rymuth

I remember Xillia being a lot choppier than Graces f. Didn't stop me from enjoying it, though.

The framerate is presumably tied to engine design limitations.

Your best hope for change in the future would be them switching to a new engine when they drop the PS3.
I've always wondered...Do these Engines have a name or are they simply titled Namco Internal Engine #23-11A or something?

Not really.
Yes really. There are many games from the PS360 era which skipped PC altogether, including some rather big titles like Bayonetta, Vanquish, Red Dead Redemption, and particularly in terms of Japanese games. Then you had stuff which came months later - GTA IV, Assassin's Creed (I remember the wait for 2 being particularly difficult as I only had a PC at the time), GTA V even. This doesn't seem to be the case anymore with far more console games coming to PC (which is great, more people get to play them).

Tommy DJ

Out of interest, how well does the PS3 version run?

Not well. The game seemed really plagued by budget issues in every single form.

They did it because they lack foresight. It doesn't cost money to not tie your frame rates to frame logic.

Also, how do you yell on a message board? I'm just saying that it was a dumb move. You're missing a lot of parts bro. The only tick box you care about is honing in on someone who thinks it's ridiculous to tie framerate to game logic. How about stop focusing on me and defend the reason why you think what they did was logical. Would make more sense to do that instead of attacking me.

You yell on the internet by the words and phrasing and, in turn, tone. You do come off as pretty aggressive in your posts even though you are right.

rhandino

Banned
Is there a batsignal for Durante? Cause the moment I read the title and 'PC' I swear I heard the first tones of the Batman Animated series intro.
I think that the problem with unlocking the framerate in this game will be similar to what happen if you try to unlock the framerate of the Naruto games or even Dark Souls I.

Weren't the battles originally 60 with overworld at 30?

This game has seamless transitions into combat though doesn't it?

Which would make that a really jarring transition

Portugeezer

I am glad that they are releasing the game on PS4 and PC. That outweighs the fact that they didn't do much work on PS4/PC specifically.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Is there a batsignal for Durante? Cause the moment I read the title and 'PC' I swear I heard the first tones of the Batman Animated series intro.

Durante is just a regular guy who presumably has a job and things to do. It's unreasonable to expect him to fix all these games for free even when it's possible to pull off (which it probably isn't here).

Momentary

Banned
Not well. The game seemed really plagued by budget issues in every single form.

You yell on the internet by the words and phrasing and, in turn, tone. You do come off as pretty aggressive in your posts even though you are right.

Maybe it's cause I'm a Marine. I'm not even mad. I'm just dumbfounded.

MUnited83

For you.
They did it because they lack foresight. It doesn't cost money to not tie your frame rates to frame logic.

How do you know it doesn't? Do you know what engine they use? Do you know if that engine would even allow for it? Do you think game engines don't cost money to buy or to do a massive rewrite of?
Because that's a pretty naive assumption if I ever saw one.

I am glad that they are releasing the game on PS4 and PC. That outweighs the fact that they didn't do much work on PS4/PC specifically.
I don't think this qualifies as "didn't do much work"
Both the PC and PS4 version will run at a 1920×1080 resolution with PC supporting resolutions up to 4K. Full HD here we come! They also benefit from many other graphical improvements: the draw distance is 2x times what it is on PS3, with the PC version having a “far” option improving it even more. Shadows, anti-aliasing and textures also got upgraded

Adnor

Banned
At least they told us before the game come out.

LOL at "Before you run off at the comment section", they know locked framerate is not ideal.

I'm going to guess that PC will be user nodded to 60fps within days of release.

No, because the game logic is tied to framerate.

Durante is just a regular guy who presumably has a job and things to do. It's unreasonable to expect him to fix all these games for free even when it's possible to pull off (which it probably isn't here).

Eh, I'm sure he would port the entire Atelier series for free if given the opportunity. :p

Gbraga

Are there benefits to tying your game's logic to the framerate? More consistent performance or something like that?

Also, how do you yell on a message board? I'm just saying that it was a dumb move. You're missing a lot of parts bro. The only tick box you care about is honing in on someone who thinks it's ridiculous to tie framerate to game logic. How about stop focusing on me and defend the reason why you think what they did was logical. Would make more sense to do that instead of attacking me.

I also think it's dumb, but I'm not going to get angry about it because I can't change it. You, sir, are angry and it's obvious. Why do you feel the need to come on here and spread your negativity?

You're a Marine? Alright man, I'm leaving this thread. Posting here was a mistake lol

Are there benefits to tying your game's logic to the framerate? More consistent performance or something like that?
Someone in a FFT0 thread was saying that in that particular case it was for performance reasons, as tying game logic to the framerate saved on CPU or something.

07/08 is about when Steam started getting popular and finally lost its reputation of having more bugs than most beehives.

That's when things started indeed. But it's only recently that major publishers consider Steam as a serious platform. I mean, back in 07/08, you would still have western AAA games that wouldn't come to PC/Steam for whatever reason. As for Japanese games... that was a no.

60fps is always better, but some people acting like 30fps is unplayable or unnaceptable is cringeworthy at best
What is it with people with Necalli avs spouting constant bullshit?

Momentary

Banned
How do you know it doesn't? Do you know what engine they use? Do you know if that engine would even allow for it? Do you think game engines don't cost money to buy or to do a massive rewrite of?

What engine do you know comes with forcefully tying framerate to game logic?

60fps is always better, but some people acting like 30fps is unplayable or unnaceptable is cringeworthy at best

What is it with people with Necalli avs spouting constant bullshit?

How am I bullshitting. How is that not having foresight to future endeavors like porting your game to another more powerful platform down the road?

Somewhere in the distance, a group of Steam users who weren't planning on playing it anyway are now bitching about 30fps on twitter and YouTube.

I mean really, how did any people who refuse to play 30fps games survive before PC hardware was affordable.

Didin't take long for the "I'm going to bitch about players with higher technical standards" brigade to arrive.

Dio

Banned
Bummer.

Is it really that hard to have a game run at 60? Just curious.

Basically, imagine the company created a game, and tied a bunch of things to framerate, assuming the game would only ever run on a PS3 - this means that since another company is porting Zestiria to PC, they'd have to go into the code and change fundamental things about the game itself, or even possibly redo the animations themselves, just to fix the game.

Think of it like a house of cards supported on a foundation of 30fps, and changing the framerate causes things to break.

Tagyhag

I don't think this qualifies as "didn't do much work"

You sound like someone who thinks capping resolution is less work than leaving it arbitrarily.

It's the same for framerates, they tie them to the game's logic to save performance. No engine is going to be made solely to tie a game's logic. That would be an extremely unwieldy and shitty engine.

Believe me, if they had been working with PS4 power, they wouldn't have tied it.

Tommy DJ

What engine do you know comes with forcefully tying framerate to game logic?

A bad engine done in-house on a shoestring time, manpower and monetary budget with the assumption that it would appear on nothing but on one family of consoles. The Tales series, despite what people may think, it a B tier series at best. Tales of Zestiria evidently has much bigger problems than the rest of the Tales series with regards to...everything.

koutoru

More 30 fps shitiness. .ini file tweaks it is then!

One more game for the TB 30 fps Steam curator spot.
If you want to play a broken game at 60 fps rather than a stable one at 30 then sure.

Edit:
That's even if you can even tweak it with ini file. I doubt it's that easy for this game and is probably tied to the engine logic.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Yes really. There are many games from the PS360 era which skipped PC altogether, including some rather big titles like Bayonetta, Vanquish, Red Dead Redemption, and particularly in terms of Japanese games. Then you had stuff which came months later - GTA IV, Assassin's Creed (I remember the wait for 2 being particularly difficult as I only had a PC at the time), GTA V even. This doesn't seem to be the case anymore with far more console games coming to PC (which is great, more people get to play them).

Well if you're defining a resurgence as "getting more console ports" I guess you're right. PC gaming has been big since steam blew up in like 2009.

funny people watching claim they simply want JRPG then when they get release they complain how it is only locked at 30 fps.

Funny to see people complaining that other players actually have standards, and won't just buy a game regardless of how it performs. Personal preference, yo.

Momentary

Banned
Like it blows my mind people are talking about money with Bandai Namco when you got indie developers who don't even make these kinds of mistake.

Choosing what engine you use during pre-development doesn't cost money. I'd figure it would be more of a hassle to develop your own engine than to get something that is free to develop on until your product is released.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I remember Xillia being a lot choppier than Graces f. Didn't stop me from enjoying it, though.

I've always wondered...Do these Engines have a name or are they simply titled Namco Internal Engine #23-11A or something?

Game specific engines don't tend to have names since they're tied to one specific game.

Namco does have an internal technology library set with a name that I forget, but it's not an engine so much as a variety of code that the games share to do specific things integrated into their own engines. I don't think they use it when they're using licensed engines though, which seems to be a direction they're pursuing on mobile with Unity and on PS4/XB1 with UE4.

Corpsepyre

Banned
If you want to play a broken game at 60 fps rather than a stable one at 30 then sure.

Edit:
That's even if you can even tweak it with ini file. I doubt it's that easy for this game and is probably tied to the engine logic.

Awesome excuse right there by the developers. We'll see how broken it is when the framerate is unlocked.

kewlmyc

Disappointing, but they explained why it's lock, which is beyond the porting team's control. Won't cancel my order and I look forward to their stream of the PC version on the 24th.

Considering that the developers only planned for the game to be released on PS3, tying the animations to 30fps is understandable, if not still very stupid of them. Considering Tales of Berseria is going to be on PS3 and PS4, hopefully this doesn't happen in the next game.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I don't care about framerate all that much, but i wish they would make up their minds.

Do you want 60fps, 30fps, 30fps out of battle and 60fps inside of battles, WHICH IS IT!?

Every other game recently in Tales has had a completely different FPS and scenario for that FPS. Just pick one!

Top Bottom