• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales Studio is in trouble

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Would really suck if it's true... Tales is a pretty solid RPG franchise, and Vesperia is one of the best RPGs to come out this gen. And yeah, marketing these games in the US would help them at least get a few sales, or at least license them out to Atlus. If Atlus can bring out all these niche games to the states, competently translated, and turn a profit, they must be doing something right...

Well it took them forever to finally reach 10 million. I think they need to release Vesperia, no point having recorded all the parts and its just sitting their in their American office rotting away on PS3, lol.

I dont know, its hard to even take the series seriously anymore for anywhere outside of Japan because of how limited the releases are

Varion

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Probably the best thing to happen to the series since 2005.
358wjyp.jpg

MechaX

2San said:
Is it the same team that keeps making the Tales of Rpg's? Isn't it about time they do something else. I liked ToV since the RPG's this gen where so shitty, but come on it is the same thing all over again.

Well, Tales is really nothing more than a brand name. Even then, the radically different Team Destiny games (Destiny Remake, Rebirth, Hearts, Graces etc) never even get released outside of the US, so all we get is the Team Symphonia games which typically do follow similar plots and mostly use the same battle system.

As for the topic, given how I don't understand Japanese and also based on Duckroll's comments, I really can't say that this is anything conclusive. However, the fact that Namco has essentially run the series into the ground even in Japan is not really a good thing at all. Any sensible company would have let an outside publisher handle the western releases at the least (Atlus, XSEED, or even Ignition for God's sake), but who knows how the gears turn in the Namco upper management.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I like Tales... Well the only Tales game that I've actually played were Destiny and Abyss.

At worst (or best), they could go Digital Distribution in the Western continents.

sillik

Banned
yeah well, how long did they expect to survive on 13-a-dozen anual Tales releases, half of wich never leave Japan..

McNum

That's too bad, it's never fun to see any studio in trouble. On the other hand, I'd buy their games if they'd let me. It's no fun to be a Tales fan in Europe.

2San

Bel Marduk said:
No, there's two different "main" teams along with some Tales games being outsourced. Team Symphonia recently did Vesperia and Team Destiny recently did Graces.Then we have Alfa System that did Innocence, and a combination of TS and TD members who did Hearts. Dimps also did Tempest but that's the only (and final :p) Tales they did.
MechaX said:
Well, Tales is really nothing more than a brand name. Even then, the radically different Team Destiny games (Destiny Remake, Rebirth, Hearts, Graces etc) never even get released outside of the US, so all we get is the Team Symphonia games which typically do follow similar plots and mostly use the same battle system.
That's alright then started to feel sorry of those guys. :lol

I thought Tales of Graces was part of that Nintendo third-party deals, like Samuwai Warriors, Monster Hunter, and Dragon Quest.

I was wrong.

Tales_of_Graces_Cover.png

:(

Banned
Sammy Samusu said:
I thought Tales of Graces was part of that Nintendo third-party deals, like Samuwai Warriors, Monster Hunter, and Dragon Quest.

I was wrong.

Tales_of_Graces_Cover.png

Was it even good? I hear people whining about the game coming here like Xenoblade, yet i distinctly remember people bashing it when it was first revealed.

Synless

It's a damn shame Graces and Vesperia (PS3) didn't make it to the west. I was really looking foward to playing Graces and Namco yet again has ruined my dreams.

What get's me angry at Namco is they don't want to bring out TOV for ps3 that's okay but at least give it to someone else to bring it over .
The game is half way done already also the need to stop bringing out so many tales games a year.

FSLink

Banned
Was it even good? I hear people whining about the game coming here like Xenoblade, yet i distinctly remember people bashing it when it was first revealed.
Yeah, it's definitely one of the better entries, up there with Destiny: DC and Vesperia PS3 easily.

Aeana

The combat is the best in the series. It also has the best implementation of the title system. It's really cool. The rest is fairly decent, too, but I not as good as Vesperia.

Glad it doesn't really say somethign baout them being in trouble, but
Case said:
This would pretty much kill the rpg genre for me.
this is the case for me as well. Tales series and certain Nintendo RPGs are the only RPGs I really play and really enjoy.

At this point, I'd blame Namco for this. All I want is ToV on the PS3 or ToG on the Wii, and I'll be happy.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Coming from a long-time Tales fan, I rather have the series die than watch it being humiliated and abused continually by Namco Bandai incompetence.
What makes you think that would stop if Tales Studio closed? The only thing that would mean is Tales fans are no long guaranteed Team Symphonia and Team Destiny quality entries in any capacity.

Namco's had a lot of plans but ran into bad entries along the way because the milking stretched their resources way too thin, so the problem is that they had too many plans. Closing Tales Studio would just be the easy way out for Namco. If they're in trouble hopefully Namco stops the milking (too many ports to PSP) and come up with a plan that consists of games that don't sacrifice quality/expectations to get to something better (Tempest, Symphonia: DotNW). If they announce a new HD Tales that would be a good start, and I'm not say all ports are bad they just need a plan behind them (maybe ToPX will do better than ToR PSP).

I'm not sure what they should do in the west honestly. Not following up Symphonia right away was their biggest mistake then, and from what they've said recently they've given up on a lot when it comes to localization in general, much less when it comes to Tales.

Synless said:
It's a damn shame Graces and Vesperia (PS3) didn't make it to the west. I was really looking foward to playing Graces and Namco yet again has ruined my dreams.

Vesperia did make it here cause they recorded the new lines and such (I think revealed just mere days or so ago). I think the code is just sitting in their office here rotting away for some reason, lol.

flsh

Banned
The problem isn't the amount of Tales games, it's the amount of platforms they are on. If they would release all of them on 1 platform, or 1 console and 1 handheld, they would create a fan base on said platforms. As it is, there are Wii games, an Xbox game, a PS3 game, DS games and PSP games. Do they really expect a niche franchise to be successful on all of those? There is a fan base, don't make it buy so many platforms.
The equivalent I can think of is FF7 on PS1, FF8 on N64 and FF9 on Saturn. The games might be very popular, but you can't make your fan base buy so many consoles.
I really hope Nintendo or Sony buy stocks in that team. The west is starving for RPGs :(

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Hell no. I fucking love Tales of games =(. They are fun, quirky in their own way and usually solid. Hell, I know I am gonna get flamed for this but Tales >Final Fantasy. Don't go under Tales studio! Just make Vesperia 2 and I'll buy like 50 copies. For fuck's sake I bought TOS 2 for Wii :lol

miserable

In light of this news i have one question: how is the progress on the fan translation for Tales of Destiny DC and Tales of Destiny 2?

The Tales series is my favourite RPG series, so this is such a downer. Hopefully it isn't as bad as it sounds and they'll pull through okay. I have to wonder if I'd even notice a difference if the company went under, as it isn't like we've been getting much of their recent output anyway. :(

FSLink

Banned
snk2 said:
In light of this news i have one question: how is the progress on the fan translation for Tales of Destiny DC and Tales of Destiny 2?
For Destiny, it's in hiatus for Tales of Phantasia (PSX) and Tales of Innocence (DS). The two fan translation groups who are collaborating on that are waiting until they're done with their respective projects to work on it more.

For Destiny 2, I heard they'd start it up more at the same time as Destiny DC.

Culex

Banned
Real shame about Graces, too. Namco and Nintendo both made out very well in bringing Symphonia to the States. It sold much more than expected.

I would love to hear the reasoning behind Nintendo not wanting to publish Graces here, though...

madara

snk2 said:

Given that they are still working on Tales of Phantasia PSX the small chance of those actually happening would be around 2020.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Synless said:

It also a damn shame that Radiant Mythology 2, Innocence, and Hearts never came out. Each of them were also wonderful games.

GAF loved it and Famitsu ranked as the best Tales along with Tales of Abyss.

Patryn

Dedication Through Light said:
Vesperia did make it here cause they recorded the new lines and such (I think revealed just mere days or so ago). I think the code is just sitting in their office here rotting away for some reason, lol.

If you're talking about what that VA said, people showed that he had little idea what he was talking about, and he's given a lot of contradictory statements on the matter.

Plus, we have a poster who works at the studio that has done all the Tales localizations basically confirm that they have done no work on the PS3 version.

thuway

The studio has talent, unfortunately, it doesn't have the proper businessman up-top to actually make use of it.

I really wish Sony would acquire them :-/.

Relix said:
Hell no. I fucking love Tales of games =(. They are fun, quirky in their own way and usually solid. Hell, I know I am gonna get flamed for this but Tales >Final Fantasy. Don't go under Tales studio! Just make Vesperia 2 and I'll buy like 50 copies. For fuck's sake I bought TOS 2 for Wii :lol

In a Tales thread? I don't think so. :lol I agree with you, though. I think Tales is the best RPG series period, though.

Culex said:
Real shame about Graces, too. Namco and Nintendo both made out very well in bringing Symphonia to the States. It sold much more than expected.

I would love to hear the reasoning behind Nintendo not wanting to publish Graces here, though...
Considering the RPGs Nintendo won't localize (well, there's still some hope for them, but still) I don't think they'd go for another company's RPG.

ToG fan translations are in the works... there's already been a partial menu translation patch released:
Update: v0.6 released
http://www.mediafire.com/?35zjxmmgnrd

-All item types are now translated
-Shop menu completely translated
-More translations and other buttons
-Battle menu camera options translated
-Battle status modifications translated
-Battle targeting info translated (press A for detail on enemy, etc, etc...)
-Some battle result info translated (not done, for example if a skill gets a new effect, that's in English now)
-Various dialogs in the menu are translated
-Some arte information translated
-Other stuff I can't remember

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/959197-tales-of-graces/55240542

And from the same thread...
Hi,

There is already a group working on a full translation of this game. Rather than compete, it would be better to work together, no? We work in #Graces on irc.freenode.net. We intend to produce a full, professional quality patch of not only the menu and interface text within the dol but the entire game, including all scripts and resources.

- Tempus

Googling this guy's name led to some more information...
Hi. I’m not certain if your team is still active or checks these forums, but I’ll put my request here. A group of hackers and translators have gotten together to do a Tales of Graces Translation. We believe it will not be brought over for several reasons. Though we are not 100% certain, we are certain enough that we feel like starting now will not be a waste of effort. We are still looking for a dedicated translator of high quality to head the translation front.

If you're interested, we're having a meeting at 6pm on IRC. Server: irc.freenode.net, channel: #Graces. You can use http://java.freenode.net for webchat if you're not familiar with IRC. If you miss it or just aren't interested, let me know at Tempus@shaw.ca.

Several of the names which have begun working on this are well known in the Wii hacking community, including PhantomWings and Dantarion of Brawl fame (FPC and Brawl+), Aaron of Riivolution fame, myself, of NSMB hacking and the Fatal Frame 4 translation, and a few others. Let us know.

Tempus
http://abyssc.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=help&action=display&thread=4084&page=1
(This last post was from March)

So basically I wouldn't give up hope of playing ToG in English just yet.

Why would you do that? said:
In a Tales thread? I don't think so. :lol I agree with you, though. I think Tales is the best RPG series period, though.

Considering the RPGs Nintendo won't localize (well, there's still some hope for them, but still) I don't think they'd go for another company's RPG.

I think Tales is the best GAME series, period :lol

jj984jj said:
What makes you think that would stop if Tales Studio closed? The only thing that would mean is Tales fans are no long guaranteed Team Symphonia and Team Destiny quality entries in any capacity.
Haha, sad but true, I guess raping a dead corpse fits Namco well. But still, right now it feels like Namco Bandai wasted, is wasting and will waste Tales Studio potential with their series management. If they get rid of Tales Studio and continue to mismanage the series, that's too bad but at least no one would need to look forward to its deterioration anymore.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Haha, sad but true, I guess raping a dead corpse fits Namco well. But still, right now it feels like Namco Bandai wasted, is wasting and will waste Tales Studio potential with their series management. If they get rid of Tales Studio and continue to mismanage the series, that's too bad but at least no one would need to look forward to its deterioration anymore.

Agreed, the Tales Studios show over and over that they are capable of creating amazing world-class games.

It is a pity that management keeps the franchise from being as popular as it should be in Japan, USA, Europe, and other other countries. I mean, Japan is getting inundated with tales games, the USA and Europe are NOT GETTING ENOUGH of them. Rule number 1 in building your customer base is to satisfy customer desire by creating a need. You are not creating a need for tales games if they are not even being released in countries that WANT to like your games. If they cannot be profitable selling 100k copies of Graces and Vesperia PS3 (which are all but guaranteed in the states), there is something wrong with budgeting.

Market a Team Symphonia RPG well that is released simultaneously on the PS3 and the 360 and the potential for sales in the USA and Europe is great.

kswiston said:
Last 2D tales game with an english release was the PSP port of Tales of Eternia in EU. Other than a Tales of Phantasia port on GBA, North America hasn't had a 2D tales game in 9 years.

Well, I guess they won't be getting my money.

MechaX

snk2 said:

The Tales fan-translators do good work, but are notoriously slow/understaffed. Says something when games like Dragon Quest V, Front Mission 5, and even Namco X Capcom can get fan-translations quicker than a Tales game even despite how all three probably have just as much text as a Tales game. Hell, the Front Mission fanbase is considerably smaller than the Tales fanbase and that project got off the ground due to just one guy on GameFAQs and they're already working on translating the other unreleased FM games.

Personally, I always wondered why they never just get the menu/item stuff out of the way first for their projects like they did with Destiny 2.

Blader

This thread reminds me that I still need to get around to playing Vesperia. I loved Symphonia and Abyss, so I'm not sure why it's taken me this long to play it.

nincompoop said:
ToG fan translations are in the works... there's already been a partial menu translation patch released:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/959197-tales-of-graces/55240542

And from the same thread...

Googling this guy's name led to some more information...

http://abyssc.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=help&action=display&thread=4084&page=1
(This last post was from March)

So basically I wouldn't give up hope of playing ToG in English just yet.
That's been my only hope for quite a while on the Tales series. Innocence should drop any week now, Hearts appears to be in good hands, and now Graces seems to be getting a foundation as well.

Blader5489 said:
This thread reminds me that I still need to get around to playing Vesperia. I loved Symphonia and Abyss, so I'm not sure why it's taken me this long to play it.

Funny this thread reminds me I need to get around to playing Abyss.

Top Bottom