• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tamping.

RagnarokIV

What the fuck stupid country is the UK?

I bought a house and moved in but we have a shitty “smack head lecky” meter.
This means to have electric, you take some fucken wooly woofter USB style key to your local store that’s crawling with the scum of the earth and ask for an electric top-up. A terrible routine.

-navigate through crack addicts, the stench of weed and 12 year old gangsters (who kit themselves out in waterproof winter clothing regardless of the season)

-enter the store

at this point the store assistant is usually shouting “oh ya fucken kunt you avn’t paid for that!” As an upstanding member of the community runs out of the store with a bottle of white label budget wine.

“What can I for you love?” She says.

“Give us a tennuh on me smack ‘Ed lecky please love. And a bag on M&Ms while you’re at it darling”

Then they try to extract trivial gossip from you.

“You been livin here long? Ain’t seen you before hun?”

-“No, I have ball bag cancer and will die soon so I can’t gossip”

Anyway you get home, plug in your USB stick and you get some electric.

AS YOU CAN IMAGINE - I don’t like this.

So I request to switch to traditional electric where you pay monthly.

In between this I DROPPED $€£1400 reddies of a 42inch ROG OLED monitor.
the technician arrived this morning and installed my new electric system.

“Electric needs to be cut off for about 30 minutes mate, that alright?”

In the meantime I’m working on renovating the house.

30 mins later, his work is done and the electric comes back on. He’s leaving
“Nice one Rodney, oi oi”

I carry on working for the rest of the day.

I just finished and wanted to play some games - oh my PS5 is on standby?? Ahh yes because the power came back to it.

Turn on my FUCKEN MONITOR HAS BURN IN OF MY FUCKEN PS5 HOME WCREEN YOU STUPID KUNT I AM FUCKEN GOING MAD
THE FUCKEN THING MUST HAVE BEEN ON FOR HOURS WHILE I WAS WOLRING

RagnarokIV

I run the 6 min “pixel cleaner” and it’s still fucked. Any ideas guys?
“Literally shaking right now” and turned to the wine lol

I’ve got uncharted 1 (no hud) and rubber band the analog sticks so the camera is spinning and Nate running in circles

Bojji

I run the 6 min “pixel cleaner” and it’s still fucked. Any ideas guys?
“Literally shaking right now” and turned to the wine lol

I’ve got uncharted 1 (no hud) and rubber band the analog sticks so the camera is spinning and Nate running in circles

So how long it was on with PS5 home screen? I don't understand half of your original post, sorry.

RagnarokIV

So how long it was on with PS5 home screen? I don't understand half of your original post, sorry.
I don’t know. I was working about 12 hours before I saw the monitor, I doubt it was that long but the red ROG logo was still on and PS5 in sleep mode

envyzeal

Me after reading your posts:

FBmC6pMVEAMiiVk.jpg

Wanking emails is already a cult classic.

Nydius

This means to have electric, you take some fucken wooly woofter USB style key to your local store that’s crawling with the scum of the earth and ask for an electric top-up. A terrible routine.

Yup -- as a recent Expat to UK (from the good ol US of A) the way utilities are run here is absolutely baffling. I hate it. I miss that part of the US so bad.

Wait... Some of you UK GAFfers have to go pre-pay for electricity like it's a fuckin' Tracfone wireless phone?

That is absolutely ludicrous and now I have an even better understanding of why people in the UK were bitching when their electricity bills skyrocketed.

Last edited:

Bojji

I don’t know. I was working about 12 hours before I saw the monitor, I doubt it was that long but the red ROG logo was still on and PS5 in sleep mode

I don't say it's not possible but it's weird for modern OLED to burn out after few hours. RTINGS had to torture screens for dozens of hours before any signs of burn in appeared.

PS5 goes into rest mode afer maximum of 4 or 5 hours so it's not long enough (I think) to do damage. But if monitor is indeed fucked use warranty if you have it.

You used pixel refresher in monitor menu?

Last edited:

Duchess

RagnarokIV RagnarokIV - are you able to get an energy supplier (Octopus, EDF, whoever) to install a proper smart meter for you? Go for it, if so.

Oh, and setup a standing order to credit your energy bill, rather than letting them use a Direct Debit. They'll keep raising the price, and, despite what they say, it's a real shit trying to get the amount reduced.

RagnarokIV

I don't say it's not possible but it's weird for modern OLED to burn out after few hours. RTINGS had to torture screens for dozens of hours before any signs of burn in appeared.

PS5 goes into rest mode afer maximum of 4 or 5 hours so it's not long enough (I think) to do damage. But if monitor is indeed fucked use warranty if you have it.

You used pixel refresher in monitor menu?
Yes in the main menu, the ROG logo pulsed for a few minutes and then kicked back in but my game icons (GTA VC, MGS, MGS2 etc are still there.

Bojji

Yes in the main menu, the ROG logo pulsed for a few minutes and then kicked back in but my game icons (GTA VC, MGS, MGS2 etc are still there.

Some weird shit happened here. If you have warranty, use it.

You can try this video, it won't make things worse at least:

This doesn’t make sense. Joke post?

Why would your monitor power on automatically?

Why would your PS5 power on automatically?

The PS5 goes to the “press PS button” screen when powered on, why would your game icons be burned in?

StereoVsn

You bought a house with a meter key? Those are only for rented/council housing. Did you even view the house before buying.

Also, this clearly a drunk post. Sober up and delete it.
Is it like low income housing in US? Why the f are people forced to prepay for electricity like it’s an off brand mobile carrier?

That makes absolutely 0 sense.

Also, there is no way that a modern OLED monitor should get burn in after a few hours. Get that returned or sent in for repairs, OP.

StueyDuck

-navigate through crack addicts, the stench of weed and 12 year old gangsters (who kit themselves out in waterproof winter clothing regardless of the season)

-enter the store

at this point the store assistant is usually shouting “oh ya fucken kunt you avn’t paid for that!” As an upstanding member of the community runs out of the store with a bottle of white label budget wine.

“Give us a tennuh on me smack ‘Ed lecky please love. And a bag on M&Ms while you’re at it darling”

“Nice one Rodney, oi oi”

I just finished and wanted to play some games - oh my PS5 is on standby?? Ahh yes because the power came back to it.

Turn on my FUCKEN MONITOR HAS BURN IN OF MY FUCKEN PS5 HOME WCREEN YOU STUPID KUNT I AM FUCKEN GOING MAD
I can't trust someone who doesn't spell cunt the proper and most impactful way.

That hard C is important

Last edited:

RagnarokIV

This doesn’t make sense. Joke post?

Why would your monitor power on automatically?

Why would your PS5 power on automatically?

The PS5 goes to the “press PS button” screen when powered on, why would your game icons be burned in?

I don’t know big boy, how about you fucken explain it?
All the questions but no answers - the monitor is fucked.

Alebrije

-enter the store

“Nice one Rodney, oi oi”

Is this an advanced leak from Trainspotting 3?

EekTheKat

The Asus FAQ actually suggest running pixel cleaner 3x and/or leaving the set powered off for an hour or so.

Q&A

Q1. When does [Pixel Cleanup] need to be performed?

A1-1: When using the OLED display in your daily life, it is recommended to perform "pixel cleaning" every four hours
A1-2: If your screen has residual/image burn-in conditions, please turn off the screen for at least one hour (recommended one day) and it should return to normal, or it is recommended that you perform "pixel cleaning" three times (if the residual/image burn-in conditions have disappeared, to stop execution)

IMHO, it seems like generic support solutions but worth a shot if nothing else is working.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Wait... Some of you UK GAFfers have to go pre-pay for electricity like it's a fuckin' Tracfone wireless phone?

That is absolutely ludicrous and now I have an even better understanding of why people in the UK were bitching when their electricity bills skyrocketed.

Is it like low income housing in US? Why the f are people forced to prepay for electricity like it’s an off brand mobile carrier?

That makes absolutely 0 sense.

Also, there is no way that a modern OLED monitor should get burn in after a few hours. Get that returned or sent in for repairs, OP.

There installed in houses that have a history of not paying their utilities. OP lives in a shithole area (by his own admitance), so chances of that increases as more people in poor areas won't pay their utilities.

As protections for just shutting off people's utilities is stronger than in the US, utility companies can apply to have a meter fitted by the courts at an address, once its agreed a meter will be fitted at which point the home owner becomes responsible for pre paying for their electricity.

Essentially it avoids situations where people's electricity is just shut off with no warning. You are given warning and once a meter is fitted you understand that you need to pay beforehand before you can use it. Naturally this is an issue for people who move into the address afterwards as they will need to have the meter removed.

For example I have never even seen one in my entire life, they are normally relegated to very very poor areas.

The "smart meters" being pushed right now are actually a legal loophole that suppliers are using because of this. They can switch these meters to a prepay mode without needing to go to court to gain access to the property to fit one, that's why there such a push for everyone to go to a smart meter, because they can remotely shut you off, however the Gov is already being forced to tighten restrictions on the supplier because they love abusing shit like this until people freeze to death.

Last edited:

Woopah

As a student, there were multiple times where we'd be playing games late at night and the electricity would suddenly go because we hadn't checked the meter recently.

And then you have to wait until the morning to get any electricity. Great system.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Idk about the monitor, but ask your supplier to switch to a credit meter, and if they won't do it, just switch to a different company. I was on a gas card when I moved in, British Gas said they wouldn't give me a credit meter until I'd lived there for a year (the big cunts) so I moved to EDF and they switched it out in about 2 weeks.

Top Bottom