• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tamping.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Can someone please translate this to American? I'm having trouble following along.

This post appears to be a humorous and exaggerated account of someone's frustrations with their living situation and recent events in the UK. Here's a translation to clarify the content:

- The author is upset about living in the UK, particularly about their experience with a prepayment electricity meter, which they refer to as a “smack head lecky” meter. This type of meter requires the user to physically take a USB-like key to a local store to add credit for electricity.

- The process of topping up the meter is described humorously and with disdain. The author mentions having to navigate through unpleasant environments, encountering drug addicts and young gangsters, and dealing with chaotic situations in the store.

- After returning home and using the meter, they express their dislike for this system and their preference for a traditional monthly electricity payment plan.

- Amidst this, the author mentions spending a significant amount of money on a high-end OLED monitor for gaming. A technician comes to install a new electrical system, which requires turning off the power for about 30 minutes.

- Later, after finishing some housework, the author wants to play games and discovers that their PlayStation 5 (PS5) was on standby mode, causing the image of the PS5's home screen to burn into the new monitor. This results in frustration and anger, as they believe the monitor was on for hours, causing the damage.

The post uses a lot of slang and strong language to convey the author's frustrations and humorous take on their experiences.

- ChatGPT

Last edited:

Irobot82

This post appears to be a humorous and exaggerated account of someone's frustrations with their living situation and recent events in the UK. Here's a translation to clarify the content:

- The author is upset about living in the UK, particularly about their experience with a prepayment electricity meter, which they refer to as a “smack head lecky” meter. This type of meter requires the user to physically take a USB-like key to a local store to add credit for electricity.

- The process of topping up the meter is described humorously and with disdain. The author mentions having to navigate through unpleasant environments, encountering drug addicts and young gangsters, and dealing with chaotic situations in the store.

- After returning home and using the meter, they express their dislike for this system and their preference for a traditional monthly electricity payment plan.

- Amidst this, the author mentions spending a significant amount of money on a high-end OLED monitor for gaming. A technician comes to install a new electrical system, which requires turning off the power for about 30 minutes.

- Later, after finishing some housework, the author wants to play games and discovers that their PlayStation 5 (PS5) was on standby mode, causing the image of the PS5's home screen to burn into the new monitor. This results in frustration and anger, as they believe the monitor was on for hours, causing the damage.

The post uses a lot of slang and strong language to convey the author's frustrations and humorous take on their experiences.
What kind of third world shit is going on in England where they have to prepay for electricity.

ReBurn

Gold Member

- ChatGPT
Thank you

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Yeah in the UK, the utility companies can force you to have prepaid meters for all your utilities. It's dystopian shit.

Vs the American way which is they throw a switch and you don't get power until you pay off your debt.

I'm really confused why people think this is worse, as this way you get power restored as long as you pay (as you have proven prior that you won't) and they take a portion of the meter payment to pay the debt until its nilled, but still get power before its paid off.

Last edited:

darrylgorn

trainspotting GIF by MIRAMAX

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Is it like low income housing in US? Why the f are people forced to prepay for electricity like it’s an off brand mobile carrier?

That makes absolutely 0 sense.

Also, there is no way that a modern OLED monitor should get burn in after a few hours. Get that returned or sent in for repairs, OP.
The previous occupier maybe had a debt that they didn’t pay (you know the UK is backwards right but we have to PAY for things) so the electricity company more than likely fitted this meter that every time the previous occupier ‘topped up’ it paid off some of the debt.

There is also the distinct possibility that the previous occupier had the meter on purpose because it would have helped them budget their spending on utility bills.

Now any normal person when buying a house would surely have done due diligence before moving in and rectified this issue with his chosen electricity supplier but it seems not.

But somehow, it’s backwards Britain and the meter’s fault here…

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Is it like low income housing in US? Why the f are people forced to prepay for electricity like it’s an off brand mobile carrier?

That makes absolutely 0 sense.

Also, there is no way that a modern OLED monitor should get burn in after a few hours. Get that returned or sent in for repairs, OP.

Prepayment meters are rare in the UK. Mostly it's in rental housing and the reason for it is because it's a way to prevent the tennant getting into debt. In very rare cases, an energy supplier will install a prepaid meter if a customer has fallen into serious debt and has a large outstanding balance.

A vast majority of homes in the UK have a standard meter. If you do buy a home with a prepaid meter you can easily switch it.

It sounds like someone bought a grotty flat/house where the previous occupier has a prepay electricity meter (to stop them getting behind on their bills), and it all went downhill from there.

The burn in must be temporary surely? They must ship those things with oled care switched on by default.

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
Wait... Some of you UK GAFfers have to go pre-pay for electricity like it's a fuckin' Tracfone wireless phone?

That is absolutely ludicrous and now I have an even better understanding of why people in the UK were bitching when their electricity bills skyrocketed.
Yup. I switched providers to where its not quite as bad as OP, but I have to 'pre pay' for what I think I'll use, and then they deduct my actual bill from my balance. Same for Water. I don't have gas so I can't speak for that.

Edit: seeing some other (longer term UKers) folks saying this is common in worse off areas or renting, I live in an OK area, but do rent (only been here like 8 months) - so maybe it is quite different when you buy a house.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Yeah in the UK, the utility companies can force you to have prepaid meters for all your utilities. It's dystopian shit.

You know this isn't true, right? You pay for your electricity on a monthly basis based on your usage, using smart meters.

Fucking hell, America. Try actually learning about other countries, instead of just getting shit from random smackhead posts on gaming forums :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

Well OP, you see ...these are the kind of situations you can't avoid when you decide to live in the posher parts of the country...

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
You know this isn't true, right? You pay for your electricity on a monthly basis based on your usage, using smart meters.

Fucking hell, America. Try actually learning about other countries, instead of just getting shit from random smackhead posts on gaming forums :messenger_tears_of_joy:

My cousin is a social worker renting in the UK, and like the OP, her place is fitted with prepaid meters for electricity (and water too I believe). Her landlord refused to switch out the meters for standard ones.

In Australia, we generally pay every 3 months. Even if you're in arrears, you can be behind for nearly a month or even more before you start getting letters about payment plans and stuff. The utilities here tend to give you quite a bit of leeway before bringing down the hammer.

Go_Ly_Dow

UK here.

We use a lot of gas and electricity in our house between 3 people. I work from home, game etc... and we have a gas boiler and gas stove for cooking. We're constantly cooking. It's a 3 bedroom house. There's no such schemes as the OP is experiencing amongst my circles and I don't know anyone personally on such a thing. It's a working middle class town. So I assume you're in a poor council estate in a former industrial town?

The total cost per month is about £75-85 a month for electricity and also £75-85 for gas. We pay for 3 months at a time. I think between 3 people that's affordable considering inflation, comes to about £50 each per month for both together - about $70 for you yanky doodles..

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

UK here.

We use a lot of gas and electricity in our house between 3 people. I work from home, game etc... and we have a gas boiler and gas stove for cooking. We're constantly cooking. It's a 3 bedroom house. There's no such schemes as the OP is experiencing here and I don't know anyone else on such a thing. It's a working middle class town. So I assume you're in a poor council estate in a former industrial town?

The total cost per month is about £75-85 a month for electricity and also £75-85 for gas. We pay for 3 months at a time. I think between 3 people that's affordable considering inflation, comes to about £50 each per month for both together - about $70 for you yanky doodles..
What are you chatting on about saying there are no such schemes.. It is nothing to do with living in poor areas. It is an option. Some people are shit with balancing their money.

Just from the British Gas website alone:-

Xb5W4c0.png

If you have a standard meter and run into debt they will nine times out of ten fit one of these meters to claw some of the debt back - again nothing to do with council estates or being a dosser either.

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

"No such schemes here" referring to my neighbourhood and friends and family who have the usual arrangement. Of course they exist in other areas.
Understood Mr Kingston-Upon-Thames. It's nothing to do with living in 'poor' areas is all I mean.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

I feel like the UK needs some big wins to help pull its reputation back from this debacle. Maybe we can make another dreadful film or TV show about toffs living in some national trust stately home. The foreigners seem to love those.

Portugeezer

Vs the American way which is they throw a switch and you don't get power until you pay off your debt.

I'm really confused why people think this is worse, as this way you get power restored as long as you pay (as you have proven prior that you won't) and they take a portion of the meter payment to pay the debt until its nilled, but still get power before its paid off.
You can change it to monthly billing, no?

Is this some bizarre alternate steampunk 1897 reality? You have to top up your house’s electricity in $10 increments with a special dongle from the corner store?
You can do much more than 10 (don't know if there's a limit), but the rest is correct.

Gas can also be done via pre-payment (no dongle, it's a credit card style thing).

Nitty_Grimes

Is this some bizarre alternate steampunk 1897 reality? You have to top up your house’s electricity in $10 increments with a special dongle from the corner store?
I don't understand what is so confusing about this - how do you claw debt back in America? Just re-posses their house or something?

People with the debt fuck off but the meter doesn't follow them so remains in situ.

Last edited:

LostDonkey

It's usually for rental properties so that if they're left with no tenant for a while there's no nasty expenses.

OP probably bought an ex rental.

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
I'll be damned I go to the corner store full of 12yr old gangsters to pre pay my electric. I don't even know where I would find a corner store full of whine thieves and 12yr Olds. 🤣

Get in touch with your energy supplier about getting the meter changed. You've got good credit, since you bought a house, they will be dicks about it but you'll be stuck with that junkie meter til you do something about it.

Rosoboy19

Neo Member
A lot of American utility companies have pre-pay electricity options as well for those who prefer it or struggle with budgeting.
The corner store dongle does sound sketchy, though, ha.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Get in touch with your energy supplier about getting the meter changed. You've got good credit, since you bought a house, they will be dicks about it but you'll be stuck with that junkie meter til you do something about it.
Someone didn't read the OP. It's a story about what happened when his meter got changed

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I don't understand what is so confusing about this - how do you claw debt back in America? Just re-posses their house or something?

People with the debt fuck off but the meter doesn't follow them so remains in situ.
We rely heavily on credit scores that determine your reputation with money. If you’re not big on paying your bills it becomes difficult to get a car loan, a mortgage, or a good apartment rental. If you’re great at being on-time you’ll get the best interest rates and high probability of loan approval.

For the people always living on the edge of financial ruin there are payment plans and collection agencies. You can get several months behind on basic utilities like electricity and usually work something out with the power company as necessary.

Can someone please translate this to American? I'm having trouble following along.
SHEEIIT MANG

I bought a house and moved in but we have a shitty “smack head lecky” meter.
This means to have electric, you take some fucken wooly woofter USB style key to your local store that’s crawling with the scum of the earth and ask for an electric top-up. A terrible routine.

I boughts me a house (don't have no wheels on it) but we have us a shitty "junkie electricity" meter.
This means to have EE-LEK-TRISITY, you have to take some fuckin' God dang USB style key to your local store that's covered in assholes and thieves an' ask for an EE-LEK-TRICK voucher. Shit's whack, yo.

-navigate through crack addicts, the stench of weed and 12 year old gangsters (who kit themselves out in waterproof winter clothing regardless of the season)

-I walks though them crack addicts, the smell of dank and 12 year old Lil' G's (who wear themselves them waterproofs clothing regardless of the time of year)

-enter the store
-I makes my entrance to the store

at this point the store assistant is usually shouting “oh ya fucken kunt you avn’t paid for that!” As an upstanding member of the community runs out of the store with a bottle of white label budget wine.

at this time, the assistant is usually saying "HEY ASSHOLE, YOU STEALIN' MA SHIT!" as a lil' G runs away with some cheap alkiehawl

“What can I for you love?” She says.

"How can I help you sir?" She says.

“Give us a tennuh on me smack ‘Ed lecky please love. And a bag on M&Ms while you’re at it darling”

"Give me 12 dollars of EE-LEK-TRISI-TEE PLEASE. An' a bag of candy while you're at it, slut"

Then they try to extract trivial gossip from you.
(They try to find out some of your personal business)

“You been livin here long? Ain’t seen you before hun?”
"You bin' here long, honey? Ain't seen you 'round here before"

-“No, I have ball bag cancer and will die soon so I can’t gossip”
-"No, I GOTS THE BALL CANCER AND I'M GONNA DIE!"

Anyway you get home, plug in your USB stick and you get some electric.

AS YOU CAN IMAGINE - I don’t like this.

So I request to switch to traditional electric where you pay monthly.

In between this I DROPPED $€£1400 reddies of a 42inch ROG OLED monitor.
the technician arrived this morning and installed my new electric system.

“Electric needs to be cut off for about 30 minutes mate, that alright?”
"I GOTS TA CUT YOUR POWER FOR HALF AN HOUR"

In the meantime I’m working on renovating the house.
(I'm fixing up my house)

30 mins later, his work is done and the electric comes back on. He’s leaving
“Nice one Rodney, oi oi”

"Nice! everything works the way it should!"

I carry on working for the rest of the day.

I just finished and wanted to play some games - oh my PS5 is on standby?? Ahh yes because the power came back to it.

Turn on my FUCKEN MONITOR HAS BURN IN OF MY FUCKEN PS5 HOME WCREEN YOU STUPID KUNT I AM FUCKEN GOING MAD
THE FUCKEN THING MUST HAVE BEEN ON FOR HOURS WHILE I WAS WOLRING

"Turn on my FUCKIN' MONITOR AND IT HAS BURN IN OF MY FUCKIN' PS5 HOME SCREEN YOU STUPID CUNT, I AM FUCKIN' GOING MAD, THE FUCKIN' THING MUST HAVE BEEN ON FOR HOURS WHEN I WAS WORKING!"

Does that help any?

FunkMiller

Gold Member
My cousin is a social worker renting in the UK, and like the OP, her place is fitted with prepaid meters for electricity (and water too I believe). Her landlord refused to switch out the meters for standard ones.

In Australia, we generally pay every 3 months. Even if you're in arrears, you can be behind for nearly a month or even more before you start getting letters about payment plans and stuff. The utilities here tend to give you quite a bit of leeway before bringing down the hammer.

Trust me, the absolute vast majority in the UK are not on prepay meters!

And Aus is fine. Ergon’s had their fair share of cash out of me 😊

FunkMiller

Gold Member

Honestly, it’s really not something most people in the UK have, just folks on poor council estates.

STARSBarry

Gold Member

We rely heavily on credit scores that determine your reputation with money. If you’re not big on paying your bills it becomes difficult to get a car loan, a mortgage, or a good apartment rental. If you’re great at being on-time you’ll get the best interest rates and high probability of loan approval.

For the people always living on the edge of financial ruin there are payment plans and collection agencies. You can get several months behind on basic utilities like electricity and usually work something out with the power company as necessary.

So outside of the people who actually request to have a prepaid meter installed (landlords tend to do this in poor areas to avoid having to deal with tenants not paying and skipping out landing unpaid utilities with them), imagine you got to the end of that "usually work something out" and the person just wont or can't pay. Then it goes to court and some people show up and fit the meter either voluntarily or involuntarily (hence why it needs to be signed off by a judge)

it's a next step inbetween working something out and completely shutting off someone's utilities. It's only really an issue for people who do pay if they move into a property that the prior owner had a meter fitted because they didn't pay, or are renting from a landlord sick of people skipping out before paying their utilities and it landing with them instead.

Last edited:
Top Bottom