• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tantalus handling the Switch version of RiME, May release, Possible Physical Release

bomblord1

Banned
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/01/18/ask-rimes-developers-anything-about-the-game-a-ign-first

The following comes from an IGN interview.

The Nintendo Switch version is being developed by Tantalus, the studio behind the HD version of The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. We worked side by side with them to ensure the Nintendo Switch version is absolutely true to the original vision we have for RiME, and they are doing a terrific work indeed! We are really enthusiastic about Nintendo Switch and we are immensely happy about releasing RiME on that console, but it's too early to discuss future developments. Let's finish RiME first! :)

DougalsMD asks: Will the Nintendo Switch version release at the same time as the PS4, Xbox One, etc.?

There is still a lot of development to take into consideration, but we're working hard to get the Nintendo Switch version ready for release at the same time as the PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Windows PC versions in May. We'll have more info to share in the months to come.

chisberry asks: Will there be a physical release for Switch?

We're currently working with Grey Box to check on the production pricing for cartridge Switch releases. We'll ideally have additional information before long.

Game has had my interest at least from an aesthetic perspective from the first time I seen it. I'm curious to see it finished and how it reviews will definitely get it on Switch if I do get it. Tantulus handling the port seems like a good thing to me (Same Studio behind the Twilight Princess HD Port)

Damn, they're a busy studio! They're also rumored to be working on a Xenoblade X port.

EDIT: Maybe it's actually true that porting to Switch is very simple, especially when you consider LA Noire (supposedly) coming at the same time as other remasters. That should bode well for a lot of third party support, though other factors (like file size) might cause issues with huge games.

Tantulus seems to be doing hard work at bringing ports like Sonic Mania/Rime to the Switch? Can you bring UNDERTALE, The Witness and Owlboy to the #NintendoSwitch please?

jonno394

Dang and weren't they asking for other Port ideas recently? Wonder how many people are working on each project because I take it there's at least one more alongside this seeing as they said they've been working on several titles for some time?

This is kind of lame. All they're doing is bringing third party games to it. All this time I thought they were porting old Nintendo games...

Grylvak

Tantalus did a great job with Twilight Princess HD so I have high hopes for Sonic Mania and RiME. Best of luck to them!

psyfi

Banned
I'm really glad this is hitting Switch. I'll definitely get it there unless it's cheaper on PS4 (which may very well be the case).

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
At least the port will be technically competent. Still a little weary about the game itself.

So that's RiME and Sonic Mania? How big is this company?

Isn't this the company that ported Mass Effect 3 and Deus Ex to Wii U? (Or their sister company at least?)

Nice that they're still getting work on Nintendo consoles, though the suppliers of their work has certainly shifted over the last 5 years.

Oregano

Isn't this the company that ported Mass Effect 3 and Deus Ex to Wii U? (Or their sister company at least?)

Nice that they're still getting work on Nintendo consoles, though the suppliers of their work has certainly shifted over the last 5 years.

As Ridley327 pointed out porting smaller games will require smaller teams for a smaller amount of time. I'd definitely expect them to be getting more work from Nintendo.

Phamit

They also remastered Twilight Princess for the Wii U

Edit: that's in the Op, sorry should have looked closer

jariw

This is kind of lame. All they're doing is bringing third party games to it. All this time I thought they were porting old Nintendo games...

Nevertheless, they have made some really fantastic 3rd party ports for the Wii U (like Deus Ex: HR with the excellent Gamepad support). If they continue on the same level as that on the Switch, the port itself will be top notch.

They mananged to do mass effect 3, funky barn and human revolution all at roughly the same time

Sure. But I'm curious as to their size. Wikipedia says like 20-30 people. I suppose that's accurate...

Human Revolution on Wii U was everything I wanted from 3rd party games on that system. Too bad that it was only one of a few games that made things interesting.

Whose to say they don't got that going either, how big are they, like 30 people? They can have port projects in the oven and these ones seem the most immediate.

Sure. But I'm curious as to their size. Wikipedia says like 20-30 people. I suppose that's accurate...

Human Revolution on Wii U was everything I wanted from 3rd party games on that system. Too bad that it was only one of a few games that made things interesting.

Ports really don't take many people to do

As Ridley327 pointed out porting smaller games will require smaller teams for a smaller amount of time. I'd definitely expect them to be getting more work from Nintendo.

I know, I'm sure they will still be getting work from Nintendo. What I was meaning is that they don't seem to be contracted to bring the AAA-third party stuff anymore, instead opting for smaller titles because presumably the EA's and Square Enix's of this world aren't interested anymore.

Unless it's just a matter of timing...

jmizzal

They are the same company Tantalus uses Straight Right name on Mature rated games like Mass Effect 3, Deus Ex and Zombi port on PS4 and Xbox one

Richie

This console isn't gonna hurt for Nintendo games; can ya imagine NOT having Sonic Mania on the system? Keep 'em coming, Tantalus, you beautiful bunch.

Oregano

I know, I'm sure they will still be getting work from Nintendo. What I was meaning is that they don't seem to be contracted to bring the AAA-third party stuff anymore, instead opting for smaller titles because presumably the EA's and Square Enix's of this world aren't interested anymore.

Unless it's just a matter of timing...

Nah, you're probably correct there. Especially in regards to EA.

I wonder if buying this company (or otherwise positioning them as a "second party") might help Nintendo get more ports. It could ease the burden of some developers, but then you run the risk of having all AAA third parties asking to dump their port on Tantalus...

Calm Mind

C3H5VHxVcAA5wzi.jpg

Top Bottom