• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tarantino on Weinstein: "I knew enough to do more than I did."

Honestly, if the decision was between having a career in film-making in exchange for looking the other way on certain things, how many of us would do the same?
Considering how liberal Hollywood is and how many are big supporters of socially progressive causes, I think it's quite likely that the vast majority of people wouldn't do anything at all in exchange for living their dreams.
Really easy to judge when standing on the sidelines.

RDreamer

As others said, I'm disappointed and not surprised.

I hope he goes on from this to become a fiery advocate and never turns back, though. This answer, I think, facing the actual truth of it and saying he fucked up big time is much much better than the non-answer bullshit a lot have been doing in the industry. Not giving him props, though, trust me. This is the bare minimum every person in the industry should be doing now. As I said, he needs to come out and be and advocate for absolute, sweeping change.

Ridley327

Come on Tarantino had clout after Pulp Fiction he could have worked with anyone for the entirety of his career instead he chose Harvey for almost all of his movies! Did he really need Weinstein for Hateful Eight? There comes a point where it wasn't about "survival" and more about making stacks.

I think that's assuming that a major studio would be willing to give Tarantino the budgets and creative control his movies eventually got for how non-mainstream most of them are, as well as knowing how to advertise them. Even the example that you gave with The Hateful Eight was given a 70mm roadshow engagement, and that was for a near 3 hour-long western/chamber mystery where nearly every character in it is an absolutely horrible human being and want nothing more than to kill each other in rather graphic ways. Harvey's an absolute garbage person, but he's also one of the few people out there that knows how to sell something like that to a big audience, let alone get the money for it in the first place.

Could he have set up shop anywhere else after Pulp Fiction? Absolutely. Would we have gotten the same films we've gotten since then if he cut his ties to Harvey at that point? I honestly doubt we would have.

Ash735

Imagine the women. They are the ones that actually got abused and they stayed silent so they could continue their amazing careers in Tinseltown.
That comes across as very sexist and naive considering men were abused sexually and even children in Hollywood over the past few decades dating back to the 1940's.

Maridia

Just wanted to say that the NYT interview is very much worth reading. He says a lot more than just what's in the thread title.

Scuffed

That's how I interpreted reading about his victims who some mentioned how Weinstein would bury them with his clout and legal team. Just seams fear of these people for one reason or another played a significant part in everyone letting shit slide.

I am not speaking about victims I understand where they are coming from. I don't even expect Tarantino to have outed Harvey because he needs proof. I do expect him to not work with him anymore or pal around with him and Tarantino did both. Tarantino wouldn't be sued for no longer working with him.

That comes across as very sexist and naive considering men were abused sexually and even children in Hollywood over the past few decades dating back to the 1940's.

You're right. I shouldn't mention the women who are coming forward in droves. You know, the subject of all the news the last few days.

Scuffed

I think that's assuming that a major studio would be willing to give Tarantino the budgets and creative control his movies eventually got for how non-mainstream most of them are, as well as knowing how to advertise them. Even the example that you gave with The Hateful Eight was given a 70mm roadshow engagement, and that was for a near 3 hour-long western/chamber mystery where nearly every character in it is an absolutely horrible human being and want nothing more than to kill each other in rather graphic ways. Harvey's an absolute garbage person, but he's also one of the few people out there that knows how to sell something like that to a big audience, let alone get the money for it in the first place.

That is fine, then he stayed with Harvey for the money but lets not act like not having Hateful Eight made would have ended Tarantino's career. Tarantino is a multimillionaire if he was, this late in his career, still working with Harvey then it was simply greed not survival.

Flux

Damn sucks to hear it. Tarantino movies shaped my high school experience. I wish he stood up or spoke out, but I can't really fault him because no one did anything until now.

Ash735

You're right. I shouldn't mention the women who are coming forward in droves. You know, the subject of all the news the last few days.
You might want to read back what you typed "Imagine the woman, they are the ones that actually got abused" implying that they were the only ones to be abused, not men or children. As for your second sentence, Men have come forward too, such as Terry Crewes and James Van Der Beek.

At least he's honest and doesn't hold back. Disappointing, but given how the industry works and the power Weinstein had, I'm not surprised.

I think Tarantino mostly worked with Weinstein because he was the only one who was entirely willing to fund his films and vision. If he had gone to a different studio, things may have been entirely different, just for historical context. That's just how things are / were unfortunately.

Fisty

Could he have set up shop anywhere else after Pulp Fiction? Absolutely. Would we have gotten the same films we've gotten since then if he cut his ties to Harvey at that point? I honestly doubt we would have.

Agreed, I can't think of a single studio that would let Tarantino run around with a blank cheque and complete control. He's done a 2-part kung fu flick, a 70mm roadshow, and a double-feature grindhouse film... Who the hell would fund something like that?

This doesn't excuse anything from any side, but the man was having his dreams fulfilled constantly without question. It takes a hell of a human being to give that all up for what very likely would have been a lost cause with huge legal ramifications. Not saying it's right, but I'm willing to see how he moves forward from this, and if he genuinely sees the error of his ways.

I don't know what I would have done. It seems like a dream come true for these people. I imagine it's really hard to put that at risk. Imagine the women. They are the ones that actually got abused and they stayed silent so they could continue their amazing careers in Tinseltown.

I don’t know that they all actually stayed silent only because they wanted to help their careers.

I’d imagine that many of them were probably fearful that they wouldn’t be believed or that a powerful Hollywood executive like Weinstein would’ve sued them into oblivion if they spoke up.

aliengmr

I would have done the same thing, I think. I'm definitely capable of selfishness and playing the "ignorance is bliss" card.

I honestly can't judge the guy knowing that more than likely I would have acted the same way.

Linkura

I appreciate his honesty and candor about it. Doesn't excuse it, but he's not making excuses either. He can't undo the past. It's either own up to it or lie at this point. I'm glad he chose the former unlike some people in Hollywood.

Zubz

Banned
Trying to give him the benefit of the doubt that he's being sincere and didn't realise the extent to Weinstein's abuse but my instinct says he probably knew full well what he got up to and knows he can't really publicly deny it when it seems many in Hollywood had heard about him. Always got the feeling something was off about Tarantino, his whole demeanour is creepy not to mention strangling actresses on set.

His ex-girlfriend was yet another victim. He definitely should have realized the extent.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I don’t know that they all actually stayed silent only because they wanted to help their careers.

I’d imagine that many of them were probably fearful that they wouldn’t be believed or that a powerful Hollywood executive like Weinstein would’ve sued them into oblivion if they spoke up.

Which is a completely rational fear, considering what has come out about how Weinstein destroyed those who had accused him earlier.

I mean, the dirty secret is that we all know people who in hindsight, would have been giving off signals that they do this. It's just that there are plenty of people who are just weird and creepy without being assaulters. Based on the statistics; it's pretty much certain everyone posting in here (including me) knows and has unwittingly or lying-to-themselves enabled them.

Scuffed

You might want to read back what you typed "Imagine the woman, they are the ones that actually got abused" implying that they were the only ones to be abused, not men or children. As for your second sentence, Men have come forward too, such as Terry Crewes and James Van Der Beek.

I really want the child predators exposed. People like Bryan Singer were very tied in with DEN(Digital Entertainment Network) in the late 90s. So many with that company were charged with abuse but Singer escaped all of it despite child testimony stating he was there.

The pedophile stuff is the next damn to break I hope.

Dabanton

Expected and sad.

But hand on heart who in this thread who would have acted on those allegations and probably blacklisted themselves in the process after getting what amounts to your dream job? Lets be honest here here Weinstein was an intimidating force in Hollywood and also one of the only places certain film makers knew they could make the movies they wanted. It's a disgusting catch 22 deal with the devil situation.

That his behavior has been a running open secret, almost a joke. For a long,long time even us people outside of Hollywood knew about it from the blind gossip items.

But nearly everyone was prepared to turn a blind eye. As long as the money, patronage and prestige rolled in.

I do hope this downfall has perverts and abusers at every level quaking I personally know of women who've had to deal with the same kinda crap in post production. One very close to me who had to be chaperoned to an evening studio work session so a old very valuable film client with a 'reputation' would not get her alone. After commenting on how eager he was to 'have her'

I do hope all this outpouring and emotion. Isn't just lip service, as they're are a lot more men like this guy in the business some of them well respected. Who hopefully get dragged into the light.

phanphare

Banned
I appreciate his honesty on this

it's definitely a stain that he didn't do more though. hopefully he can actively work toward bettering the industry going forward. that's what's important now. I can only assume weinstein isn't the only one out there.

Over the years, he learned of other accounts. Another actress friend told him a troubling story of unwanted advances by Mr. Weinstein in a hotel room. Mr. Tarantino confronted Mr. Weinstein, who offered the woman what the director described as a weak apology. (She confirmed the account to The Times but declined to be identified.)
As sad and weak as this is, at least he did something at some point I guess and this makes me hopeful he at least is not a dirty pig himself

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I mean, he admitted it and said he should have done more. He didn't try to make up an excuse or pretend he never knew. What he does from here is going to tell us a lot about him as a person.

Ridley327

That is fine, then he stayed with Harvey for the money but lets not act like not having Hateful Eight made would have ended Tarantino's career. Tarantino is a multimillionaire if he was, this late in his career, still working with Harvey then it was simply greed not survival.

I don't know if greed is really the right word to use in this situation, since Tarantino has never come across as the type to put the money he's making on a project ahead of the art that went into it. It's extraordinary that he found even the one guy that was willing to make those aspirations a reality, and that's not something that's going to be easily replicated now that Harvey is nuclear waste to everyone on the planet.

Oh Quentin, you know better and you damn sure knew better. Good job normalizing and enabling his behavior by not saying a damn thing. Asshat.

Because so many other Hollywood bigshots are chomping at the bit to name names.

What he did was wrong, but it was also the status quo. We all talk a big game, but the fact is that very few of us can claim with absolute certainty that we'd act differently in his position.

Faiz

Why do people keep saying this? Burn what exactly? The world? Hollywood?

It will do nothing and we'll sit here thinking that industry is the problem.

I'm sorry but I've experienced enough casual indifference to suffering over the years that I don't think for one fucking second that it's one specific group. People are not inherently good. But humanity does have an inherent darkness (Jung called it the shadow self) within it that arises from the juxtaposition of higher intelligence and the animal.

It's just an expression of disgust with the whole town and system, and really this situation in particular. Its not that deep.

Ridley327

Kinda different imo.. Paterno was basically king of that school. I think it's a lot harder to come out against someone that's positioned above you.

Yeah. As well-known as Tarantino is, he's still a creative type that needs the help of a willing producer to make anything happen. While I don't doubt that there was a genuine friendship between Harvey and himself, I can't help but feel that Harvey knew that the power dynamic was still heavily tipped in his favor at all times and subtly leveraged that over the years. Not in an outwardly malicious way, but I don't doubt that in the back of him mind, he could keep repeating the mantra of "Quentin needs you more than you need him" and take comfort in being right about that.

RMI

Banned
It sounds like he did confront Weinstein on at least one occasion. He and A lot of people could have done more, and I'm sure a lot did less. Hopefully things get better.

I can't rake the guy over the coals for this. I don't think he was actively weighing the benefits of continuing to work with Weinstein instead of doing the right thing at the time. I believe him when he says that the culture was a certain way and it just seemed normal to a lot of people. He was wrong, and admits as much.

Not terribly surprising.

Weinstein's behavior honestly seemed like an open secret, and many people could have come forward, but chose not to. That's not okay obviously, but Hollywood is a cesspool, and it'll probably stay a cesspool for the foreseeable future, because it's pretty easy for people to say "It's not my problem."

Scuffed

I don't know if greed is really the right word to use in this situation, since Tarantino has never come across as the type to put the money he's making on a project ahead of the art that went into it. It's extraordinary that he found even the one guy that was willing to make those aspirations a reality, and that's not something that's going to be easily replicated now that Harvey is nuclear waste to everyone on the planet.

I think greed is the right word. He wanted his movie made and Harvey would give him the resources to make it so he stayed with him despite knowing that he was a sexual predator. I don't see how it was "for the art" makes it any better, it's still self-enrichment.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Not surprised. At least he admits it. Might want to make some Kevin Smith-style overtures to make up for it...

RangerX

Banned
His honesty is welcome and while he should have done more I'm not one to throw stones. Still, and I include myself in this, its interesting how willing we are to cut him slack. I imagine if it was Uwe Boll that gave this interview people wouldn't be so forgiving. I guess people don't want his films completely tainted.

Scuffed

Not surprised. At least he admits it. Might want to make some Kevin Smith-style overtures to make up for it...

This right here. Kevin Smith actually put his money where his mouth is.

Everybody in Hollywood knew about it apparently.

Dude I knew about it like a decade ago and I'm in Canada and not at all tied to the entertainment industry. I mean it was just online chatter on movie boards but it was almost like common knowledge. I find it hard to believe anyone that had any association with him didn't know.

Top Bottom