• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tarantino on Weinstein: "I knew enough to do more than I did."

At the Oscars we need to have a podium in the middle with people dropping NAMES yes we need names not references or winks or nods. Names and make that shit televised end the culture I don’t want anymore “well I coulda or we’ll i shoulda”.

The casting couch needs to go, and I feel so sorry, and disgusted for these young actors both men and women.

Gorillaz

Alot of these guys that have been around for decades obviously knew what the details were. Rather they bumped shoulders with him or not. I mean shit the guy IS hollywood

Yea there literally isn't any way out of this without looking bad

Basically anyone starting out willing to self sacrifice and stir things up is probably weeded out before they have enough leverage to get anything done about it.

By the time you amass enough leverage to be able to get something done about it, you've probably grown pretty used to being rewarded for ignoring it.

really well said and that is why in the end the real asshole is Harvey. Yes it would have been great if others did more and at least attempted to stop it early but I won't pretend to be perfect. I don't know what I would have done if it was my goal/dream/livelihood on the line. I'd like to think I'm a good dude but I don't even know what I'd do for certain.

anaron

This thread is a clear example of WHY most other people in Hollywood are lying and doing the whole "OMG, So Shocked, Never Knew" thing. I'm honestly surprised that people are surprised at this and no doubt expect Tarantino to used to take the blame on this seeing as he's the only one who's held his hands up and said "yep, I knew, that's just how Hollywood is".

Majority of people on the internet here need to take a step back and realise that this kind of abuse has been going on for decades to men, women and children in Hollywood, dating back to at least the 1940's, the sexual favorurs and drug trading amongst the elite of Hollywood is no exact secret, there's a reason it's gone on this long and became the "norm". Honestly if you're shocked by this and think Hollywood is all glam and glitz you really should read up on the cesspool side of it that is deep rooted in that scene.
Pretty much. :/

It seems fairly unheard of for someone to successfully navigate within Hollywood without encountering or being involved in shady shit.

duckroll

I appreciate his honesty. Just like I appreciate that Kevin Smith is putting his money where his mouth is. In the end, whether people associated with Weinstein walk away as better people is up to them. I don't think there's a real need to compare or compete to make a "better" statement or whatever. But the next time they sense something is not right with the people they work with, hopefully they will take some action.

sans_pants

avec_pénis
Tarantino could get a deal with literally any studio after Pulp Fiction (and still could). He knew what Weinstein was doing and stuck by his side anyway.

It's not just "can I go to another studio and get funding for my movie?"

It's also "can I go to another studio and get the same support and approach as this one"

You don't just hand a director a ton of money and they go away and make their movie, it's a massively complicated process that relies on hundreds of different people

norm9

Going on twitter, what's really bugging me are the other celebrities that probably knew there was something wrong with Weinstein chastising other celebrities for not speaking out soon enough, when they themselves could have spoken out because everybody knew about the rumors, but didn't.

Permanently A

I appreciate his honesty. Just like I appreciate that Kevin Smith is putting his money where his mouth is. In the end, whether people associated with Weinstein walk away as better people is up to them. I don't think there's a real need to compare or compete to make a "better" statement or whatever. But the next time they sense something is not right with the people they work with, hopefully they will take some action.

I have a sneaking suspicion Kevin knew but is just trying to get ahead of it by dumping the dirty money.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Disgusting but not really suprising

Why is he disgusting, or others who knew for not throwing their careers on the line, when the victims did the same thing but, and I agree, you can't blame them for the fear of ruining their careers.

Honest question.

Acerac

Banned
That's probably the best way to say "I watched a man sexually abuse lots of people and did nothing about it", but I'm not sure it is worth praising.

The Kree

Banned
That's probably the best way to say "I watched a man sexually abuse lots of people and did nothing about it", but I'm not sure it is worth praising.

It's not actually worth praising, it's just that the bar is that low for a lot of people.

Acerac

Banned
It's not actually worth praising, it's just that the bar is that low for a lot of people.

He is very famous, that is a real difference maker for most. Shockingly, even in courts being rich and/or famous is a great defense for garnering mercy.

Baki

The thing is....

All these statements talk about acting differently in the future....

...But there's still tons of predators in Hollywood that these people all know about it!

That said, QT statement, is probably the way most actors should have gone about it. Reform begins with acceptance of failiure.

The thing is....

...But there's still tons of predators in Hollywood that these people all know about it!

That said, QT statement, is probably the most honest way to go about it. Reform begins with acceptance of failiure.

Exactly!!!!!

Why is everyone giving the yes me too approach and not naming names now is like the perfect time to expose this shit and bring it down

He was complicit in something terrible, but I appreciate his honesty.

It doesn't mitigate what happened obviously, but I think it's at least somewhat classy to not do the whole "oh wow, that's news to me!" act we've seen from most everyone else.

It feels like everyone is coming out trying to cover their ass or dont look as bad for not doing anything instead of looking for a way to support the victims or trying to create an enviroment where other victims feel safe about coming out.

Baki

Exactly!!!!!

Why is everyone giving the yes me too approach and not naming names now is like the perfect time to expose this shit and bring it down

Precisely.

We have fucking child predators all over Hollywood. Those fuckers need to be stopped. Now. Today!

Fucking hell. This world man...

The thing is....

That said, QT statement, is probably the way most actors should have gone about it. Reform begins with acceptance of failiure.

Problem is those others don’t have powerful figures with financially or politically motivated agendas helping them like they did with Harvey. They’re still “protected.”

Just see the avalanche of stories about Harvey once it happened. And not immediately, either. Days between the rumors and article, everyone stayed quiet as Harvey was trying to sue, bury, and disrupt it.

Hollywood is a huge mess and it’ll be a problem if anyone thinks Harvey is the first or last of his kind.

Future

So what the fuck is happening now. Does someone need to press charges? I hate to fucking jump on the public vigilante bandwagon but clearly this dude is guilty of something

I wonder what this dudes day to day life must be like right now

Rktk

It feels like everyone is coming out trying to cover their ass or dont look as bad for not doing anything instead of looking for a way to support the victims or trying to create an enviroment where other victims feel safe about coming out.

Did you read the article? How is an admission of guilt and expression of regret covering his ass or mitigating his inaction?

norm9

Exactly!!!!!

Yeah, my perspective is EVERYONE knew what he was doing. This soapbox shit where some people are calling out others for not doing more is hypocritical.

Corey Feldman tweeted out he isn't naming names because of the inherent danger. If a dude shunned because he was a victim says it ain't cool to just drop names, I believe him and I don't give any credit to those trying to shame those that didn't do anything because we don't know the circumstances in which they didn't say anything.

I assume almost everybody in Hollywood knows AN example of something like this, even if they weren't privy to this specific series of horrors.

This shit bugs me. There's a reason some aren't saying anything, and it's not necessarily bc they're protecting their income.

Rival

Gold Member
Good on him to own it now I guess but that doesn’t make it forgivable yet. I don’t feel like I could support his movies right now but I also don’t know what else I would need to hear from him either.

MBison

I can't even believe most of you are applauding his honesty.

He is basically saying he ignored known rape/sex assault/harassment behavior for years cause hey, I was living a sweet life.

It's appalling. Great he was honest now but where was that honesty for the last 20 or more years. Didn't seem to care when you were winning Oscars or partying it up. How many girls got raped while you stayed silent.

Disgusting and no one should be commending his honesty.

Yeah, my perspective is EVERYONE knew what he was doing. This soapbox shit where some people are calling out others for not doing more is hypocritical.

Corey Feldman tweeted out he isn't naming names because of the inherent danger. If a dude shunned because he was a victim says it ain't cool to just drop names, I believe him and I don't give any credit to those trying to shame those that didn't do anything because we don't know the circumstances in which they didn't say anything.

This shit bugs me. There's a reason some aren't saying anything, and it's not necessarily bc they're protecting their income.

I didn't cast any aspersions on anybody's motives. Human beings are quick to accept evil as a feature of existence in a variety of contexts, for a variety of different (sometimes overlapping) reasons.

duckroll

While I agree it does little to change the environment nor does it mean much for the victims, I don't see how this is an ass covering or not looking bad. He literally admitted in the strongest language that he knew, ignored it, and that it was a bad decision he regrets. He also says he thinks he isn't the only one who knew, and that it was a known thing in some closer circles. He threw himself and everyone under the bus. That's the opposite of covering his ass?

Exactly!!!!!

A lot of people won’t give names because even supposed good people with vague pragmatic stances will bombard them with questions and challenge their claims. How a harassment victim wishes to come forward is their right. Powerful people, whether it be in small or large doses, frighten and can silence people.

I’ll agree and say that I’m surprised not more executives or people much farther down the totem poll aren’t being named is kind of surprising, but it is probably going to take a few very corageous people to get the the ball rolling like what is happening against Weinstein.

norm9

I didn't cast any aspersions on anybody's motives. Human beings are quick to accept evil as a feature of existence in a variety of contexts, for a variety of different (sometimes overlapping) reasons.

My bad. I didn't mean you in oarticular. Just that celebrities are using this opportunity rubs me the wrong way when everyone knew that something stinks in hollywood in regards to the explotiation.

Top Bottom