• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tarantino on Weinstein: "I knew enough to do more than I did."

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
He knew shit but didnt do shit cuz he needed his movies to be financed and whatnot...tarantino is a spineless coward and a enabler...jeesus

DocSeuss

I can understand not wanting to believe that someone close to you and who appears to care for you so deeply is horrible rapist scum. I can get wanting to pretend it's not a problem.

But, I dunno, maybe it's just having been a victim in a situation like this, but I still feel like basic human decency ought to win out and you should do everything in your power to see the motherfucker's empire burn, you know? It's a moral obligation.

But at the same time, I knew a woman who was a horrible abuser to her boyfriend, and I didn't know what to do, and I finally just noped out of the situation. I wasn't really in a position to tell anyone who could do anything though. I didn't know the boyfriend well enough to help him out. I just couldn't take it anymore and cut off all contact. I still feel like a coward about this. She was a monster.

It's better than the fake shock people spew out.

He's just like everyone else, wanting money for their movies and going along with the ride.

He knew shit but didnt do shit cuz he needed his movies to be financed and whatnot...tarantino is a spineless coward and a enabler...jeesus

Welcome to being a person

Sapientas

That's pretty much the best response possible, considering he didn't do anything effective at the time.
It sucks that everyone knew and no one managed to do something about it. It's incredible shitty, but I can't morally reprehend Tarantino on this.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
He is one of the few people being honest about it. He prioritised his own career over the safety of these women. I hope he does something about it, whether it is donating proceeds to relevant charities or whatever. Otherwise his contrition is worthless - he actually ahs teh clout to do meaningful things.

This does make me wonder about Smith.

I use to be a huge fan of Kevin Smith's podcasts a couple of years back. I forget which one it was on or what episode but he said something the effect of knowing something about Weinstein that would make him (Weinstein) look horrific. Smith then goes on to say but thats not my story to tell. Again, this was years back and I could be misremembering. Its been coming to the forefront of my mind lately though

My initial response is "Well duh."

Considering we aren't getting a swarm of people coming out and doing the same thing, a statement like this is good, but that's all it really is right now.

CrunchyB

Everybody knew, everyone was complicit and it worked this way because anyone rocking the boat would have been ostracized.

Taking a firm stand against this could have definitely hurt Tarantino's career, although it's unlikely it would have extinguished it completely.

Is it cowardly? Yeah, of course, but these people are not heroes. You don't go to Hollywood to become an activist. Speaking up would endanger their career and everything they worked so hard for, it's not a decision to take lightly. It is much easier to simply do nothing.

Also, Weinstein is obviously only the tip of the iceberg.

Scuffed

My initial response is "Well duh."

Considering we aren't getting a swarm of people coming out and doing the same thing, a statement like this is good, but that's all it really is right now.

I will definitely concede that, especially after the horseshit we got out of Matt Damon and Ben Affleck. Honestly from pretty much all the people that said they knew nothing but I believe the people who worked closely with him on many project much less. They had to know. So it is good that Quentin is saying at least that much.

RinsFury

At best he was an enabler of sexual assault. Fuck him for not doing anything, and if he is guilty of worse I hope he gets what is coming to him. The time to make this known was years ago.

I don't know that they all actually stayed silent only because they wanted to help their careers.

I'd imagine that many of them were probably fearful that they wouldn't be believed or that a powerful Hollywood executive like Weinstein would've sued them into oblivion if they spoke up.

At the same time, there is the possibility of a chain reaction. One person speaks up. Then another. Then another.

And he could have been careful with what he said. Even something like saying in public: "I will no longer work with Harvey Weinstein because of his treatment of women." Can't get sued for that can you? And it could start a reaction.

I do understand how hard this is. Without being in such a situation I'm not willing to guarantee I would do the right thing (although I am willing to hope that I would). But we shouldn't be overly defeatist either.

Ash735

This thread is a clear example of WHY most other people in Hollywood are lying and doing the whole "OMG, So Shocked, Never Knew" thing. I'm honestly surprised that people are surprised at this and no doubt expect Tarantino to used to take the blame on this seeing as he's the only one who's held his hands up and said "yep, I knew, that's just how Hollywood is".

Majority of people on the internet here need to take a step back and realise that this kind of abuse has been going on for decades to men, women and children in Hollywood, dating back to at least the 1940's, the sexual favorurs and drug trading amongst the elite of Hollywood is no exact secret, there's a reason it's gone on this long and became the "norm". Honestly if you're shocked by this and think Hollywood is all glam and glitz you really should read up on the cesspool side of it that is deep rooted in that scene.

Nipo

At the same time, there is the possibility of a chain reaction. One person speaks up. Then another. Then another.

And he could have been careful with what he said. Even something like saying in public: "I will no longer work with Harvey Weinstein because of his treatment of women." Can't get sued for that can you? And it could start a reaction.

I do understand how hard this is. Without being in such a situation I'm not willing to guarantee I would do the right thing (although I am willing to hope that I would). But we shouldn't be overly defeatist either.

Yes, you can get sued for anything. If someone wants to sue you there is no rule stopping them and it can cost tens or hundreds of thousands to stop it. Would the suit get thrown out? probably but you still need to pay to get that to happen. Our legal system is broken.

WarLox

What could he have done though? He was already being investigated by the police, he settled lawsuits out of court. Im not sure what qt could have done short of not working with his company i guess.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
This thread is a clear example of WHY most other people in Hollywood are lying and doing the whole "OMG, So Shocked, Never Knew" thing. I'm honestly surprised that people are surprised at this and no doubt expect Tarantino to used to take the blame on this seeing as he's the only one who's held his hands up and said "yep, I knew, that's just how Hollywood is".

Majority of people on the internet here need to take a step back and realise that this kind of abuse has been going on for decades to men, women and children in Hollywood, dating back to at least the 1940's, the sexual favorurs and drug trading amongst the elite of Hollywood is no exact secret, there's a reason it's gone on this long and became the "norm". Honestly if you're shocked by this and think Hollywood is all glam and glitz you really should read up on the cesspool side of it that is deep rooted in that scene.

Perfect post. I'd even go back further, to Arbuckle at least

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Everybody knew, everyone was complicit and it worked this way because anyone rocking the boat would have been ostracized.

Taking a firm stand against this could have definitely hurt Tarantino's career, although it's unlikely it would have extinguished it completely.

Is it cowardly? Yeah, of course, but these people are not heroes. You don't go to Hollywood to become an activist. Speaking up would endanger their career and everything they worked so hard for, it's not a decision to take lightly. It is much easier to simply do nothing.

Basically anyone starting out willing to self sacrifice and stir things up is probably weeded out before they have enough leverage to get anything done about it.

By the time you amass enough leverage to be able to get something done about it, you've probably grown pretty used to being rewarded for ignoring it.

Scuffed

Basically anyone starting out willing to self sacrifice and stir things up is probably weeded out before they have enough leverage to get anything done about it.

By the time you amass enough leverage to be able to get something done about it, you've probably grown pretty used to being rewarded for ignoring it.

Well said.

According to Courtney Love, she was banned from one of the biggest acting agencies in California (CAA) for telling women to stay away from Harvey on the red carpet of a roast. You might not have gotten sued (and even that's not necessarily true, maybe he doesn't sue him for that, but sues him for something else he in retaliation), but you could easily be blacklisted.

bill0527

He knew it. All of Hollywood knew it.

And now that it's come out they're scattering like cockroaches who just got a big spotlight on them. It's really sad watching them all scurry to their little corners and make their faux apologies.

This is how Hollywood has probably worked since the 1940s.

Yes, burn it all down and start over.

Nekofrog

Banned
These guys are making it really easy to never patronize any of their work ever again. Keep them coming, I have a whole spiral notebook to fill up with names.

According to Courtney Love, she was banned from one of the biggest acting agencies in California (CAA) for telling women to stay away from Harvey on the red carpet of a roast. You might not have gotten sued (and even that's not necessarily true, maybe he doesn't sue him for that, but sues him for something else he in retaliation), but you could easily be blacklisted.

Good points.

It makes me wonder just how deliberate people like Weinstein are. Making sure they have leverage over anyone who could get too much information on them? Making sure they have dirt, a counter-claim, or something to sue over on anyone who could potentially try to out them? Making sure that anyone seemingly squeaky clean and unwilling to look the other way would never advance far enough to learn enough or have enough power to accuse them?

As long as Weinstein uses the same tactics of criminal organizations, it's no wonder it is so hard to take him down.

Still, there is a difference between acknowledging why it is hard, and being defeatist.

You think he was making excuses?

The whole statement is. The fact he didn't do anything and waited for it to blow up to comment. It's a profound act of cowardice, and i'm pretty sure most of them would have remained silent if this was still put under the rug.

It's completely shameful.

Steejee

I give him marginally more credit than those who try to deny knowing anything or make excuses, but in a 'Scale of 1 to 100, with 100 being "You're a Saint in this Weinstein fiasco who fought the system" and 1 is "You practically brought him naive women to abuse", this puts him at like a 10, vs the 5s a lot of these other people have been hanging around at.

If Tarantino puts some effort into making amends then maybe I'll regain a little respect for him. An admission is a start, not a finish.

Jombie

Just an all-around shit show. I appreciate his honestly, but he doesn't deserve any credit for it. There's going to be a ton of awful stories coming out in the coming months.

OmegaFax

I use to be a huge fan of Kevin Smith's podcasts a couple of years back. I forget which one it was on or what episode but he said something the effect of knowing something about Weinstein that would make him (Weinstein) look horrific. Smith then goes on to say but thats not my story to tell. Again, this was years back and I could be misremembering. Its been coming to the forefront of my mind lately though

I don't know if Kevin Smith is out of the woods yet. He called out Weinstein but didn't say much about Affleck and not sure how he's distanced himself from his guest appearances from ScreenJunkies. I can't believe he's totally blind to all of this.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
The whole statement is. The fact he didn't do anything and waited for it to blow up to comment. It's a profound act of cowardice, and i'm pretty sure most of them would have remained silent if this was still put under the rug.

It's completely shameful.

"What I did was marginalize the incidents,” he recalled. “Anything I say now will sound like a crappy excuse.”

The whole point is that he should have done something and isn't making excuses for himself. Call it shameful and cowardice, I'm sure he would agree, but there are no excuses there.

20cent

Banned
"yeah, I knew it, but come on that guy is quite powerful in the business, I still want to be able to make movies in case he can get away with it as he did so far, and I kinda want the money so... sorry I feel bad, but that wasn't my fault!"

br3wnor

Said better than I could have. Hollywood is a cess pool of this shit, from molesting kids to sexually assaulting actresses, this shit by high level producers and executives has been rumored for decades and everyone involved had some idea it was going on and most did their best to ignore it in order to advance their careers.

Good on Tarantino for being honest at least, everyone else saying how surprised and shocked they were was such bullshit.

Did he really need Weinstein for Hateful Eight? There comes a point where it wasn't about "survival" and more about making stacks.

To do the 70MM roadshow? Most likely. Not even Christopher Nolan gets those kinds of rollouts.

I think that's assuming that a major studio would be willing to give Tarantino the budgets and creative control his movies eventually got for how non-mainstream most of them are, as well as knowing how to advertise them. Even the example that you gave with The Hateful Eight was given a 70mm roadshow engagement, and that was for a near 3 hour-long western/chamber mystery where nearly every character in it is an absolutely horrible human being and want nothing more than to kill each other in rather graphic ways. Harvey's an absolute garbage person, but he's also one of the few people out there that knows how to sell something like that to a big audience, let alone get the money for it in the first place.

Could he have set up shop anywhere else after Pulp Fiction? Absolutely. Would we have gotten the same films we've gotten since then if he cut his ties to Harvey at that point? I honestly doubt we would have.

Finally someone gets it. Tarantino could've walked unscathed but it could've gone either way whether victims would have come forward and then he'd be dealing with a typical studio. Miramax and the Weinstein Company are not typical studios and even Tarantino isn't immune to corporate meddling bullshit... Except when it comes to Harvey Weinstein because he seems to get what he's all about.

Alebelly

Trying to give him the benefit of the doubt that he's being sincere and didn't realise the extent to Weinstein's abuse but my instinct says he probably knew full well what he got up to and knows he can't really publicly deny it when it seems many in Hollywood had heard about him. Always got the feeling something was off about Tarantino, his whole demeanour is creepy not to mention strangling actresses on set.

A ton of people new, including the victims, point you're finger fine, but this is systemic, has nothing to do with your perception of Tarantino being creepy

Mr. X

I can't say I understand the fear of this man. Never been put into a position like these guys saying they knew and should've did more.

Ridley327

I can't wait to hear from other directors on this, especially Scorsese.

On the sex abuse in general, or on Harvey specifically? It's been said that they butted heads constantly on Gangs of New York throughout its production and in the editing bay, so I can't imagine he'd have anything pretty to say about him now, if not specifically pertaining to the women he's harmed, if any of them did happen to be while he was working on that film.

If it's the former matter, well... let's just say that few people are going to let him forget about his unwavering support for Polanski, even before he signed the petition in 2009.

Top Bottom