• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Target put up a page for Bethesda: Game of Thrones

Assuming it's real, who do you think is making this?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stiler

Yeah...DooM, Dishonored 2, Prey, Wolfenstein, what a bunch of shit games.

Of which Bethesda (the developer) made none of them...

Doom/Wolfenstein was ID, Dishonored and Prey were Arkane studios.

Last game they made was Fallout 4, before that it was Skyrim.

Both of which sold a ton of but were seen as neither the greatest of rpgs in terms of writing compelling characters or narratives.

That's the main issue with Bethesda games, they are excellent at world building and making you want to explore the world, but when it comes to actually writing icharacters an dstories they are extremely cliched and heavy handed.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I think the time period featuring the original Azor Ahai and The Long NIght -- 8,000 years ago or something, I think? -- would be well-suited to the medium.

BlackLiamNeeson

Neo Member
If they aren't setting the game during the events leading up to and during Robert's Rebellion, they're doing it wrong. That time period has a shit load of characters we care about and would be a great setting for a game.

Edit: I am hijacking my own post to feverishly gush over my own GoT vidja game pitch.

My pie-in-the-sky dream GoT game would be set before, during and after the rebellion taking place across the entire continent of Westeros sans perhaps north of the wall.

Imagine if the player character was a bastard born in one of the nine major regions (North, Vale, Iron Islands, Riverlands, Crownlands, Stormlands, Reach, Westerlands, Dorne), with the player choosing where they want their character to be from and which house they serve. They story at the beginning would differ depending on where you start from, but all 9 paths would mostly follow the same beats: the tourney at Harrenhal, battle of Ashford, The Trident, sack of King's Landing etc.

Your ultimate goal is to assist your liege lord in either defending the crown (Targaryen, Lannister, Tyrell, Martell), overthrowing the crown (Baratheon, Stark, Tully, Arryn) or take advantage of the chaos and reave where you please (Greyjoy).

Your skill tree could have 9 branches: Father, Mother, Maiden, Smith, Crone, Warrior, Stranger, The Old Gods and The Drowned God.

NPC's refer to you by your bastard surname (Snow, Stone, Pyke, Rivers, Waters, Storm, Flowers, Hill or Sand) for maximum immersion

Side quest potential is enormous here:
-Recruit/capture potential brothers for The Night's Watch
-take care of The Smiling Knight
-find all of the Weirwoods in Westeros to see visions of the past and future
-beat back Hill Tribesmen in The Vale
-investigate reports of a Faceless Man sighted in Westeros
-investigate an underground cult of religious fanatics called "Sparrows", join or destroy them
-fuck all the whores in Westeros and "make the 8"
-study at The Citadel in Oldtown like a nerd
-assist the head of customs in Gulltown with shady dealings (some dude named Petyr? Seems trustworthy)
-go to Gin Alley in King's Landing and give Karl Fookin' Tanner 6 silvers to kill a man

EZ DLC MONEY:

Greyjoy Rebellion DLC
"Beyond The Wall" expansion (Bronn mentioned he's been north of the wall before, get him in there)

Where's my check GRRM

Wow dude, seriously that sounds amazing! Sign me up! Really love your idea.

drotahorror

Of which Bethesda (the developer) made none of them...

Doom/Wolfenstein was ID, Dishonored and Prey were Arkane studios.

Last game they made was Fallout 4, before that it was Skyrim.

Both of which sold a ton of but were seen as neither the greatest of rpgs in terms of writing compelling characters or narratives.

That's the main issue with Bethesda games, they are excellent at world building and making you want to explore the world, but when it comes to actually writing icharacters an dstories they are extremely cliched and heavy handed.

The person I quoted never specified, and the poll is regarding both sides of their business. Wolfenstein (atleast the ones published by Bethesda) were done by MachineGames if we're giving lessons on which studios make games.

At the moment, Bethesda is the best publisher in the business in terms of the IP's that I enjoy. Unfortunately, the games they actually develop, I can't stand.

Pilgore

Neo Member
I just can't see them do another huge open world fantasy game when they already have their own massive world, that they completely own themselves. I think BGS is working on Starfield and whatever this is (if it's real) is not a BGS game. Just published by Bethesda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom