• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All Stars official thread ~ Going across the border!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
ref.jpg

Changes:

New stages.

New characters.

Online play.

Original music.

Tweaked mechanics and statistics.

New mini-game.

Official English Site
Official Japanese Site

IRC stuff:

Milabrega said:
IRC:
Server: irc.globalgamers.net
Channel: #gaf_wfc

For those without IRC clients: http://www.globalgamers.net/?p=webchat

price.jpg

US - January 26th, 2010 - $49.99
JP - January 28th, 2010 - ¥3990
EU - January 29th, 2010 - £29.99
AU - February 4th, 2010

Boxart:

US

us.jpg

EU

eu.jpg

JP

jap.jpg

Bundle:

Madcatz Stick + Tatsunoko vs. Capcom bundle

(Import)Tatsunoko vs. Capcom Ultimate All Stars + Audio CD

audio2.jpg

audio1.jpg

Audio tracks contain:
1.Across the Border 2010
2.Where The Wind Blows (English version of Kaze Yo Tsutaete)
3.Across the Border (Cross Generation of Heroes)
4.風よ 伝えて…'08 (Kaze Yo Tsutaete '08)

Last two are sung by asami.

(Import) Tatsunoko vs. Capcom Ultimate All Stars + Audio CD + Capcom's 27th Secret Files: Tatsunoko vs. Capcom

bundle3b.jpg

bundle3a.jpg

award-1.jpg

award.jpg

Gamespy: Best E3 2009 - Fighting Game of Show
1UP: Best OF E3 Fighting Game
Game Critics Award 2009: E3 Game Critics Award Best Fighting Game
IGN: Best of E3 Fighting Game
XPlay: G4TV Best Fighting Game
multiplayer.it: Best Beat'em Up

Reviews:

Nintendo Power - 9/10
Official Nintendo Magazine - 91%
Game Informer - 8/10
Edge - 7/10
IGN - 9/10
G4 - 5/5
GameTrailers - 9/10

video.jpg

Trailers:

E3 Trailer
TGS 2009 Trailer
Tekkaman Blade's Gameplay
Frank West's Gameplay
Zero's Gameplay
Joe the Condor's Gameplay
Jump Festa 2009 Trailer
Yatterman 2's Gameplay
Ultimate All Shooters!

Interviews:

IGN interviews Ryota Niitsuma
Seth K. tells about TvC before the release date
Seth and Justin teach you!
Unboxing the Beast!

stick.jpg

Note: peripherals aren't region locked.

(Import) Wii Hori Fighting Stick

hori.jpg

(Import) EXAR Tatsunoko vs. Capcom Stick

exar.jpg

(Import) Neo Geo 2 Wii Stick

neogeo.jpg

Madcatz Tatsunoko vs. Capcom Stick - buy from CAPCOM / EBGames / GameStop / GameShark / Amazon

madcatz.jpg

(Import) Classic Controller PRO (For European players)

pro.jpg

Arcade Fighter Stick for Wii

micro.jpg

character.jpg

TATSUNOKO

(Note: Clicking the title of the anime will reveal the OP/ED of the anime they are featured in. Despite having the same anime origin, like say Ken, Jun and Joe, they'll have different vids.)

Ken the Eagle - Science Ninja Team Gatchaman
Cashhan - Neo Human Casshan
Tekkaman - Space Knight Tekkaman and SPACE LANCE
Yatterman 1 - Time Bokan Series' Yatterman
Polimar - HaRiKen Polimar
Gold Lightan - Golden Warrior Gold Lightan
Doronjo (and Boyacky and Tonzra) - Time Bokan Series' Yatterman (villain)
Karas - The Karas
Jun the Swan - Science Ninja Team Gatchaman
Ippatsuman - Time Bokan Series' Turn-About Ippatsuman
Tekkaman Blade - Space Knight Tekkaman Blade
Joe the Condor - Science Ninja Team Gatchaman
Yatterman 2 - Time Bokan Series' Yatterman

CAPCOM

Ryu - Street Fighter
Chun Li - Street Fighter II
Batsu - Rival Schools: United by Fate
Alex - Street Fighter III
Morrigan - Darkstalkers
Kaijin no Soki - Oni Musha Dawn of Dreams
MegaMan Volnutt - MegaMan Legends
PTX-40A (VS Ivan) - Lost Planet
Roll - MegaMan
Saki - Quiz Nanairo DREAMS
Viewtiful Joe - Viewtiful Joe
Frank West - Dead Rising
Zero - MegaMan X

Character-specific strategies coming soon!

universal.jpg

system.jpg

control.jpg

BASICS:

The active (or point) character is the one that is currently fighting. His life bar is the one on the top.

The partner is the one whose life bar is below. He or she sits out on the fight, but he or she can be called to tag in or do various assists. Note that your partner is still vulnerable to attacks. And also, after performing any form of assist will have your partner temporarily disabled until you hear the ASSIST OK! sound trigger.

The timer will determine the length of the game. Obviously, if the time runs out, the victor is the one whose YELLOW health total has more than the opponent.

The level tells how much stocked levels you have. If the meter goes full, a stock is added and the meter is reset. However, you can only have up to 5 stocks. Levels are used for many things.

The life bar is important - it is composed of the yellow health and red health. The yellow health goes down whenever your character gets hit, and when it is fully depleted, the character gets KO'd. Sometimes, it will leave a red health. When you tag out, the now resting character has the yellow health slowly recover up to the amount of red health he or she has. However, when tagging in, the character will lose all red health but will maintain the yellow health he or she has accrued. Note that the red health has some other uses.

ASSIST RELATED:

Note: All assist-related moves won't work when one of the characters are KO'd.

Variable Assist

assist.jpg

By pressing the Partner button, you will call your partner character to do an assist. The character will jump in, do the assist, taunt, then jump away. Note that you can call your partner any time - during on combos, while standing, etc. The only time you can't call them are when you're crouching, performing a hyper move or when you're super-jumping. These are the assists of all the characters.

Ken the Eagle - Bird-Run (doesn't return)
Cashhan - Zaniwa Chop
Tekkaman - Tekka Whip
Yatterman 1 - Kendamagic
Polimar - Tsunagiashi Katana Kick
Gold Lightan - no assist
Doronjo - taunt (blows a kiss)
Karas - Kumo Soto Kagami
Jun the Swan - Bind Bomb
Ippatsuman - Justice Liner
Tekkaman Blade - Zanga Kazaguruma
Joe the Condor - Angle Shoot
Yatterman 2 - Electric Stick
Ryu - Hadouken
Chun Li - Tenshoukyaku
Batsu - Guts Upper
Alex - Slash Elbow
Morrigan - Soul Fist
Kaijin no Soki - Tetsu Sai Hazaki
MegaMan Volnutt - Drill Arm
PTX-40A (VS Ivan) - no assist
Roll - Roll Splash
Saki - standing forward fierce attack (swings her gun)
Viewtiful Joe - Shocking Pink
Frank West - Camera Flash
Zero - Ryuuenjin

Tag/Variable Switching

tag.jpg

By pressing Back + Partner at the same time, you call in your partner and your point character switch places with him or her. Note that the partner will come in with an attack then taunt for a bit before you fully control him or her. This is the most basic switching of characters, but it isn't safe to do unless you have knocked the enemy off. As noted before, the character's red health vanishes when they tag in.

Variable Counter

counter.jpg

By pressing Forward + Partner while blocking and having at least 1 stock of level, your character will immediately tag out while blocking, and your partner will tag in with an attack that would knock out the enemy in the air helplessly. This is a safe tagging method, as your characters are both invincible while they are glowing (however, the character coming in has little invincibility time and will get hit if you're in a middle of an incoming attack). Also, the partner's red health is maintained, meaning you can restore it later or perform baroque.

Variable Air Raid

vair.jpg

By pressing Hadouken Motion (Down, Down Forward, Forward) + Partner, or even just Forward + Partner, while in mid-air and having at least 1 stock of level, your character will glow and perform an attack. If this connects (whether it hits or gets blocked), your character will switch with his or her partner. The beauty about this tagging method is that not only is it safe, but it also allows the combo to continue. Like Variable Counter, the red health is maintained.

Delayed Hyper Cancel/Variable Cancel

vhc.jpg

By inputting any hyper move motion of your partner while the active character is performing a hyper move, the screen freezes for a bit as your character tags out, and your partner tags in while doing the hyper move of the motion you inputted. While this costs at least 2 levels, it is another safer way of tagging in, as you are in a hyper move. If you feel lucky, you can even cancel your partner's hyper move into a hyper move of the character you just tagged in. Like the previous two, the red health isn't removed when you tag with this method.

You can only do up two Delayed Hyper Cancels (meaning three hyper moves total). Not all hyper moves are cancelable too. For instance, basic hyper moves can be canceled by another any hyper move. An auto combo hyper move (a hyper move that requires it to hit the enemy to continue the rest of the hyper move) can be canceled by any hyper move before it actually connects. A level 3 hyper move cannot by canceled at all.

Variable Combination/Crossover Combination

vc.jpg

If you have at least 3 stocks of level, you can peform Variable Combination by inputting any hyper move while pressing Partner button along with it (for instance, Ryu's Shinkuu Hadouken is Down, Down Forward, Forward + any two attack buttons. You can perform a Variable Combination with Shinkuu Hadouken by pressing Down, Down Forward, Forward + any two attack buttons along with Partner button). This will make your partner jump in and perform the hyper move along with the active character. Note that the partner will perform a specific hyper move.

Ken the Eagle - Kagaku Ninpou Bird Smash
Cashhan - Brutal Axe
Tekkaman - Voltekka
Yatterman 1 - Dashing Yatterwan
Polimar - Tenshin Polimar Drill
Gold Lightan - no combination
Doronjo - Zen Tehakokokara
Karas - Zaneijin
Jun the Swan - Scratch Burst
Ippatsuman - Ippatsu Gyakuten Home Run
Tekkaman Blade - Voltekka
Joe the Condor - Feather Assault
Yatterman 2 - Electric Love
Ryu - Shinkuu Hadouken
Chun Li - Kikkoushou
Batsu - Zenkai Kiai Dan
Alex - Boomerang Raid
Morrigan - Finishing Shower
Kaijin no Soki - Joukaken
MegaMan Volnutt - Machine Buster Sweep
PTX-40A (VS Ivan) - no combination
Roll - Roll Sweep TURBO
Saki - Positron Storm
Viewtiful Joe - Six Majin Cannon
Frank West - Real Mega Buster
Zero - Rekkouha

INDIVIDUAL-RELATED

Chain Combo

chain.jpg

The bread-and-butter of all things - chain combo is what you call when your attacks naturally cancel with another. The most basic chain combo is Weak -> Medium -> Fierce. Depending on the character, you can cancel them into a special attack, and you can cancel special attacks into hyper moves. You can cancel normal attacks into hyper moves, etc. Note that while attacks may cancel, they may not necessarily hit (for instance - Alex's standing Weak -> Medium -> Fierce will miss at the end due to his Fierce having short range). You can chain a combo while in the air or even while crouching, and you can chain an attack from the air to the ground, etc.

Launcher

launch.jpg

By pressing Down Forward + Fierce, your character will perform a launcher. When it hits, you can immediately press Up to do a super jump to follow the launched enemy. Very useful as it sets them up for air combos.

Note that some characters have strange launchers too. For instance, Ken has two launchers - regular one and his standing Fierce. His standing Fierce will only launch enemies that are airborne.

Advancing Guard

push.jpg

Advancing Guard, or Push-blocking, is done by pressing Weak, Medium and Fierce at the same time while blocking. This will create a "zinging" sound effect as you push the enemy off. This will also reduce the block stun (the "stun" effect while blocking) and chip damage (damage received when blocking). This is mandatory to survive attacks that attempt to chip your life.

Mega Crash

megacrush.jpg

By sacrificing 2 levels and a portion of your yellow health, your character will perform Mega Crash. If you've played Guilty Gear XX, then you are familiar with Burst - which Mega Crash is similar to. Hailing from Super Gem Fighter: Mini Max, this move will make the character yell out, releasing a burst of energy, freeing the character from the enemy's attack and putting him in a neutral, controllable state. That means if you're in a tight fix (like say, an air combo), you can simply pull out a Mega Crash to escape. And while you may have lost 2 levels and some of your yellow health, the latter is replaced with red health instead. Mega Crash can also be used to cancel your current attack animation to put you in a neutral state, but not necessarily a safe state (e.g. you'll still get hit by the remaining hits if you Mega Crash within a beam hyper move).

You cannot Mega Crash out of hyper moves. Mega Crash can be blocked (albeit due to its surprising nature it's really hard to do) and Mega Crashes can be canceled with another Mega Crash (that is, if both you and your opponent performed Mega Crash at almost the same time).

Baroque

baroque.jpg

If you have any amount of red health, then by pressing any Attack button + Partner will activate Baroque. Baroque will make your character flash in a rainbow color. Upon activating, the character's current attack animation will be canceled, putting him or her in a neutral state. With this in mind, you can pretty much extend combos using Baroque. Baroque also improves damage output - the more red health you have when you activated Baroque, the more damage the attack during Baroque will deal. The expended red health will vanish after activating Baroque, however. Like Mega Crash, this is also used defensively as a way to cancel any current attack to avoid being punished.

Baroque ends when your next attack will not chain. So if you performed Baroque and you do a punch, but the punch is blocked, then Baroque ends. Also, you cannot Baroque out of a hyper move, but the effects of Baroque can still go to hyper moves provided that they are part of the chain when Baroque is activated.

Hyper Move

hyper.jpg

By inputting a hyper move, you expend 1 level and your character performs a powerful attack. This is noticeable as the screen freezes and the character's zoomed in model will appear. This is pretty common in versus games and is generally one of the most important aspects of the game.

MISCELLANEOUS

haunt's Ultimate Guide for Tatsunoko vs. Capcom UAS!

SRK thread of changes from Cross Generation of Heroes to Ultimate All Stars

Keits' Tatsunoko vs. Capcom primer for UAS!

You miss the old Tatsunoko vs. Capcom character themes? Check out my playlist!

And for UAS stage themes!

Wallpapers!

Epic Commercial is Epic!

Hiltz said:
According to the ad agency that made this Tatsunoko vs. Capcom tv commercial, it should start airing tomorrow on USA, SyFy and Adult Swim (Cartoon Network).

For the record, they said that it took 60 minutes of work to achieve 1 second of stop-motion animation. Overall, it took around 20 hours to make.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Gah they just had to add MMX Zero to this. Now I have to get it. ...eventually...

N4Us said:
It's weird looking at the boxarts and suddenly Zero just pops up.

JP boxart has it right. :p

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I imported the Japanese version, but I'm so double dipping! New characters and it'll be in English? Count me the fuck in, baby. ;D I'm still not a fan of the english opening though. Maybe it'll grow on me.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Ookami-kun said:
Wii peripherals are not region locked.

And so far no news of voice chat.

Cool, found a cheaper domestic option regardless. Hype building :)

Can't beat a decent fighter plus probably crummy stick for less than my 360 TE :lol

Tenbatsu

Finally! An official thread for TvC! As compared to my 'lame' thread, this is so much better! Good job Ookami-kun!:D

AniHawk

I suck at fighting games, but I love MVC2 and online play where I can get my ass kicked regularly sounds like good times.

I really want to get this but I think it'll have to wait a bit. If only it didn't come out the day after my next
final
semester starts and on the same day as Mass Effect 2.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Tenbatsu said:
Finally! An official thread for TvC! As compared to my 'lame' thread, this is so much better! Good job Ookami-kun!:D

Aww thanks, but I still like your thread. I just had a template to follow. XP

Andrex said:
Gah they just had to add MMX Zero to this. Now I have to get it. ...eventually...

JP boxart has it right. :p

Theirs is just to advertise the new characters. Which is why if there were any other new characters they'd likely be advertised as well =X

also, just pre-ordered the JP version from capcom's site. Thanks for the link OP. I have the North american version on order as well. It's just that my US Wii won't read discs right now so I can't play the US version for the time being <=-(

Great job OP!!!
The layout is awesome and all the information is BOOM in your face!:D

I have been so excited for this game since it was announced for JP all those many moons ago.
Ordered mine from estar since I had credit.

Any new info on the wii Mad Catz stick?

I have a wii classic pro so I think I should be good to start worst case.

I want to say kudos and tip my hat to this well done OP. I think its high time to invest in a Lan Adapter for the Wii. Hmm, Ookami-kun was banned?

Ookami-kun said:
Yup, updated, thanks. However, the Karas links work. :O

That might be something on my end then because YT tells me that the vid isn't available. It may be a territory issue or something. And don't worry about it though. If you keep getting the same complaint from others then let me know and I'll link you to a Karas intro that works.

Effect

What no Ken? Ryu never goes anywhere with out Ken. That being said I've never used an arcade stick for a fighting game. Never really played them in arcades just on consoles. This makes me want to try one out. They seem easy enough of to use and actually sort of seems a bit more inviting then the controller. Does control seem to flow better using one?

I've been wanting to play this. However wasn't sure if it was in my budget but it just might be. Hoping I can rent it first though.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Effect said:
I've been wanting to play this. However wasn't sure if it was in my budget but it just might be. Hoping I can rent it first though.

No Buy it it is totally worth it a great game. (have the import version)

if you buy it and it sells enough I am hoping Capcom will bring SFIV to the Wii (here's hoping) Seth if you are reading this make it happen awooo

Nice thread,
but isn't it a bit too early? thought GAF likes official threads a week before release.

there's a little bit of mis-information in the OP regarding assists: you CAN call assists while crouching, you can't call an assist while blocking (because the command overlaps with a tag)

also for you West Coast cats, be sure to check this out

http://www.capcom-unity.com/s-kill/blog/2010/01/01/tatsunoko_vs_capcom_ultimate_all-stars:_community_hands-on_sneak_preview!

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
McBradders said:
Can't see why the OP would be banned :/

Maybe for starting the thread too early? :/
Nope,thats not ban worthy. In that case the mods just lock the thread and re open it at the right time.

Also guys don't forget that you can use Gamecube controllers and arcade sticks with the game as well.

a wired GC stick would be preferred since you don't get any interference. The Wii remote can receive interference at times and can cause weird things to occur with the input in game (for example, random Mega Crashes)

Effect

DoubleTap said:
Can't wait for the Madcatz stick too! In the meantime, I have the Hori stick and a 6-button pad by dreamgear:
3735779590_9b43209c7c.jpg

What actually bothers me the most about the Wii classic controller is that the cord for the controller is on the bottom and not the top. That annoys me so much.

viewtiful_dru said:
Also guys don't forget that you can use Gamecube controllers and arcade sticks with the game as well.

a wired GC stick would be preferred since you don't get any interference. The Wii remote can receive interference at times and can cause weird things to occur with the input in game (for example, random Mega Crashes)
Yeah, I'm going to use one of my PS2 sticks and my Cube Joybox Pro GCN converter like I do with the Wii version GGAC+

Threi

notag
sweet, getting this day one.

I will most likely just use CC for this, unless there is a cheap 360/GCN converter that I don't know about.

ReiGun

Love the thread. Nice work Ookami-kun.

Just preordered my copy yesterday, so I'm ready. I really hope they announce another Tatsu character soon, if only because seeing the uneven character page on the main site is bugging the hell out of me.

Sadist

Oh yes. Excellent thread, nice info.

Pre-ordered my copy too yesterday, for just € 34,99 :D

Gotta love price wars

SaintZ

Awesome Thread! I can't wait for this, I'm fucking pumped! Only 22 days away :D This and No More Heroes 2 = Heaven.

DoubleTap said:
Can't wait for the Madcatz stick too! In the meantime, I have the Hori stick and a 6-button pad by dreamgear:
3735779590_9b43209c7c.jpg

How long are the cords on these controllers? Thinking about picking one up just because the GC's controller cords are so freakin' short.

Teknoman

Im thinking of just using the classic controller for this...especially since this'll probably be the only fighting game I get for Wii.

Any comments on how well it works with the fighting style?

EDIT: None of the tracks from the original game made it in? That Alex SF3 mix sounded great, and the character select music was awesome.

TreIII

Nice work, Wolfy. A pity it cost you in some way. ^^;;

Any way...def will import this sucker again (it basically works out that i would more or less pay the same thing for either domestic or importing a JP/Asian version, so I'll try my luck at getting those JP-only goodies!).

Sadist

In anticipation for this title, I'll play me some Guilty Gear X.

Totally different, but I didn't use my CC for a few months now

M3d10n

riceandbeans said:
How long are the cords on these controllers? Thinking about picking one up just because the GC's controller cords are so freakin' short.
These plug into the wiimote, so cord length shouldn't be an issue.

Top Bottom