• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Taylor Swift: Reputation

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
If Trump ends up using the phrase "look what you made me do" any time in the next 3 years

💀

CoolOff

This is terrible.

7iDmZAa.gif

Don't you see? By releasing bad songs, they've ensured that the monarchy will be abolished and a new age of democracy will be ushered in!

Alternate take: The era of DJs and Producers is here and your faves are gonna be reduced to "Feat." credits

I take this back, I forgot about Ariana Grande. It's definitely her.

Abylim

kasdfkjasdf screaming Katy's going to have the better album after all plus she's the better singer. The vindication! Let me go listen to Witness.

Talent won.

p5KehFz.gif

Both are garbage. I loved both Taylor and Katy's stuff up until their latest. It's all just edgy, revenge centric shit that caters to the "Mean Girls" thing.

They both try to act like they are above it and are moving on, but they both keep releasing songs about each other lol

GhaleonEB

I was grooving to this right until the 1:00 mark when the chorus hit and the song just falls apart from that point after. Just collapses into a mess.

Lorde keeps the crown so far this year.

thefro

Not completely awful, but it's definitely not a smash hit like "Shake it Off" was.

I think with different production the chorus could be fixed, so looking forward to people remixing this down the road.

Edit: Actually, I'd take the very last chorus at the end and make it the regular chorus, then add some more stuff for the final repeat.

Certinty

The chorus is truly bad. Sounds like something from a cheap electronic song.

I was hyped about this album for so long but after this I don't think I care much.

I've heard a few songs from it, but not the album, no. I can appreciate her, I'm not on that wavelength. Melodrama floored me.
It's a great album honestly so much diversity in the lyrics and the second half of the album is just so pretty musically. Yeah yeah avatar quote and all but Lana Del Rey continues to impress me with the way she manages to keep delivering great music.

riotous

Banned
What's with the werid thing where artists make their instagram look like they only have a few uploads, to make it look like a web site?

Are they hiding there other posts or do they really delete all their old stuff?

What's with the werid thing where artists make their instagram look like they only have a few uploads, to make it look like a web site?

Are they hiding there other posts or do they really delete all their old stuff?

I don't believe there is a way to hide Instagram posts, so they are all deleted.

Really weak chorus, but hey, usually singles are the worst stuff on the albums so i'm not that worried. It'll still crush witness when it's released.

GhaleonEB

NeoGAF is ridiculous. The chorus in this song can't be THAT baaaaaaaAAAAAAAAASFAFSAGKSAGK

I had the exact reaction. :lol

Really weak chorus, but hey, usually singles are the worst stuff on the albums so i'm not that worried. It'll still crush witness when it's released.

That's a pretty low bar. :p

My daughter got Witness, as a big Perry fan, and could barely get through one listen.

We bought concert tickets before the album landed. Whoops.

I had the exact reaction. :lol

That's a pretty low bar. :p

My daughter got Witness, as a big Perry fan, and could barely get through one listen.

We bought concert tickets before the album landed. Whoops.

Lol, ups. Katy trapped you. Still, it could be worthy for her other stuff.

Trunx28

Look what you made me do starts great until the chorus .. so much build up and then this dissappointment .. feels like a Marvel Netflix series
/s

See, this is why we need a PopGAF: to discuss this and better songs that outshine this in every concievable way.

As for the actual track, it's not awful, but let's just say the electronic production is a hell of a lot better than the lyrical content. Taylor is heading into a "darker sexier serious" direction, and it's exactly what I expected: more synths, playing into the facade breaking, and going full attack.

At this rate, her next album is going to be a singer-songwriter Miley Cyrus-esque mea culpa, apologizing and becoming a better person through this darker edgier phase.

Keri

I wasn't sure how I felt about it the first time I listened to it, but the more I listen the more I like it. I dig the whole "fuck it, I'll be a bad guy then" attitude.

Maybe Taylor Swift really is the victim in this?
I'm sure she's received a decent amount of hate to be considered victimized.

Lying about "Famous" aside, there's always been an element of slut-shaming associated with criticism of Swift. She dates a lot, but that's because she was a 20-something in Hollywood who could pretty much only date other famous guys. She used her dating experiences to write songs because she's a singer-songwriter, it's what she does. We, the public, don't know if the purported reason for the Katy-Taylor feud is true nor do we know if any of the Calvin allegations are true. All we know is some magazine said something plausible about this and Calvin angrily tweeted something about that, and accept it as gospel.

In short, she is a victim in some respects, but she's largely the victim of things that have backfired horribly on her and things that she hasn't spoken publicly about.

I only really like the pre-chorus the second time (at around 1m45s). That part's really well made with the multi-vocals.

The rest is monotone and boring. However, it being not very original aside (I've heard this simple monotone beat before quite a lot), it is different from what is on the radio right now. It's all shitty tropical house with female (sped up or slowed down) vocals and some cutesy/weird sound in the chorus. This is different, and it being bombarded on all radio stations might get stuck in people's head. And it's Taylor, so it will be a hit.

(my track record on predicting pop hits is bad)

i'm reeling from the lyrics about making a list and checking it twice, as if a santa reference is threatening

it is maaaaan! He knows if you're naughty or nice!

Code:
[IMG]http://static1.squarespace.com/static/51b3dc8ee4b051b96ceb10de/568e9e02a12f440d1796d9eb/568e9e03a12f440d1796d9ef/1452187142646/edvige-faini-krampus-edvige-1web-164599.jpg[/IMG]

BunnyBear

Still better than anything Kanye has done (well, besides Ultralight Beam. That was great).

I liked everything besides the chorus, which is not good. The whole thing is certainly different though. I'm intrigued for the new album.

It's all very high school isn't it, the name on a list of enemies and the she's dead shite. Taylor you're 27 and one of the richest/biggest popstars in the world this totally looks not pathetic sure.

But more importantly if you're going to base a song on I'm Too Sexy, try and top it.

Top Bottom