• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Taylor Swift: Reputation

lol @ These Shake it Off was the worst song on the album comments like it relates to this. I'm sure she throws out the worst song on the album first to get it out of the way. Yeah that's a thing.

And Shake it Off is way better than this.

I still don't know what to think on this one. I like the song overall, but the chorus is distracting. On the one hand, it sounds sinister and I like that; on the other hand, it doesn't fit and sounds a bit...boring.

Like, the prechorus is great and then it smash cuts into that.

I actually kind of like the phone call thing at the end. it's over-the-top edge, but that's not something I've seen from Taylor Swift. It's amusing.

Man, going from something on Speak Now to this is jarring.

Edit: This is gonna sound fucking stupid, but if she jumped into death growls for the chorus, I'd 100% love this song from now until the end of time. Fuck that would make me laugh so hard.

Certinty

While I'm not a huge fan of Shake It Off, it was a great lead single. Upbeat and catchy as hell, no way that was going to fail in gaining more popularity and hyping 1989 up. Sure there were many better songs on 1989 but none were like SIO in that sense.

This on the other hand just feels like it's the lead single because of the lyrics and meaning behind it. I mean that whole "old Taylor is dead" part might be the cringiest thing I've ever heard in a song but for attention it works. Really hope the whole album isn't like this but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Jakoo

This sounds so much like something that could have been off of Melodrama, but cut for being meandering. Lorde might body Taylor this year, at least from a critical perspective.

EDIT: Apparently the same producer behind Melodrama helped cowrite this song. I guess that explains the similarities.

Sick and tired of hearing all these people talk about
What's the deal with this pop life and when is it gonna fade out
The thing you got to realize, what we doing is not a trend
We got the gift of melody, we gonna bring it 'til the end

shandy706

Well that was awesome. It sounds like a track mimicking someone else rather than something original.

AWFUL...

A w f u l...not awesome...thanks voice to text...

picard-facepalm2.jpg

this is garbo lmao
I thought she'd do the bitchy villain thing well

Actually a bunch of the lines really pissed me off like getting called out on your lies makes you go into a little hissy fit about how actually it was everyone's fault but yours

Ristifer

Starts off decently, but then falls off a cliff. It's bad. And not "Oh, people will enjoy it more in two weeks" bad. It's just shitty.

Solo

Don't see how the phone convo is any worse than "you could've been getting down to this. sick. beat!"

Which reminds me of the hilarity of that line, as it's followed by some generic beat.

But Shake It Off was catchy as hell at least and 100x the single this is.

s_mirage

So edgy, Taylor...

Yeah, that wasn't a very good song. It could have been salvageable with a decent chorus, but that chorus was anything but decent.

I really liked 1989, so I hope the rest of this album isn't in the same vein as this song.

Ivan 3414

That 3 chicks dancing with some dynamic lighting is the greatest video of all time.

Say My Name was better.

Let's be honest. You don't have to like it, but 3 chicks dancing with some dynamic lighting has been far more impactful and memorable, even nearly 10 years later, than any video Taylor has ever done. Kanye shouldn't have gone up on that stage but Taylor had no business winning that award (or any VMA really. Her music videos are dry AF).

LionPride

Banned
Still better than anything Kanye has done (well, besides Ultralight Beam. That was great).

I liked everything besides the chorus, which is not good. The whole thing is certainly different though. I'm intrigued for the new album.
Still on with this shit?

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I remember when the Taytor Tots were comparing Taylor to Madonna. Taylor is NOT the next Madonna. She is intelligent and has the same business savvy as Madge I will admit, however:

- her discography pales in comparison to Madonna
- she has zero stage presence and charisma
- she can't dance
- she's not a better singer
- she dated try-hard Tom Hiddleston in the most blatant PR dating stunt in recent memory (which backfired and ruined his chances at James Bond lmao). Yikes!

Kyzer

Banned
Wow thats some hot garbage. And she basically continues to not deny the whole kanye thing in fact she concedes he, through his stunt, took her crown. Holy shit the lyrics are so bad

Kyzer

Banned
The song is terrible but Taylor is still good people. Kanye is just a fuccboi, always has been and always will be. I like Ye's music but he's an asshole. At least Taylor owns how uncool she is.

If by owns you mean totally denies and pretends to be a victim and then copies kanye "owning it" by having a persona that plays on what people hate about him then yeah youre right i guess she did own it

That 3 chicks dancing with some dynamic lighting is the greatest video of all time.

Say My Name was better.

Single ladies smashed and the video was a pop culture phenomenon. And the video still smashes today with references to it still carrying through social media and tv shows etc. You belong to me was a generic girl next door video, a troupe that has been done for literally years and everyone forgot about it.

Kanye didn't lie but what can you do when mediocrity is just always rewarded because it's done by a danty white girl.

If Rihanna or Beyonce or any other artist made this song that wasn't some indie girl, it would be dragged to hell. This song is garbage ....

BunnyBear

Let's be honest. You don't have to like it, but 3 chicks dancing with some dynamic lighting has been far more impactful and memorable, even nearly 10 years later, than any video Taylor has ever done. Kanye shouldn't have gone up on that stage but Taylor had no business winning that award (or any VMA really. Her music videos are dry AF).

She didn't choose to win the award genius?

Mean was a better video that Beyonce has ever done. Sorry.

Top Bottom