• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TCL P607 P Series ( the new mid range/budget 4k/HDR recommendation)

Klocker

Some guys at avs reported having the same sharpness bug as me and rtings tweeted back at them confirming they could reproduce it too.

Sooo... Those settings where they say zero for sharpness they actually like it with a slight amount of sharpness?

i.e. Whatever sharpness the bug is adding.

So when HDR kicks in, does the TV revert to different settings? I noticed this last night when checking out Resogun in HDR. All of a sudden the jarring backlights kicked in when the game booted. Do I need to tweak the settings separately for HDR as well or is this simply due to HDR needing brighter backlights to display more vibrant colors?

Sorry, I'm new to this whole 4K HDR thing (this is my first 4K set) and I just want to make sure I'm getting the best picture quality I can.

It automatically turns the backlight up to 100 for hdr. You could turn it down it bothers you but it's supposed to be set to 100 for her, it helps create more dynamic colors.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Sooo... Those settings where they say zero for sharpness they actually like it with a slight amount of sharpness?

i.e. Whatever sharpness the bug is adding.

haha...that or they didn't run into the bug on their initial testing because they were testing sdr modes and then switched to hdr modes and had to re-adjust sharpness anyways which would have compensated for the bug.

Klocker

haha...that or they didn't run into the bug on their initial testing because they were testing sdr modes and then switched to hdr modes and had to re-adjust sharpness anyways which would have compensated for the bug.

True that's possible.

hopefully they will clarify although don't know as I've ever seen them recommend above 0.

Really hope they actually check to be sure 0 is not softening too much.

Been running 0 -5 for quality content and 15-25 for 1080i cable TV

RedAssedApe

Banned
True that's possible.

hopefully they will clarify although don't know as I've ever seen them recommend above 0.

Really hope they actually check to be sure 0 is not softening too much.

Been running 0 -5 for quality content and 15-25 for 1080i cable TV

yeah i haven't settled on a sharpness setting yet. sometimes i'll go 0 and for games sometimes i feel like the text doesn't look sharp so i bump it up to 5-10

StMeph

I just got the TCL P605 (didn't see the use for headphone input or voice remote) last week, and have been tinkering with settings and devices, but so far it's been great. The warmer colors that everyone suggests took a day or two to get used to, but after that adjustment period, it looks pretty good to me now.

I was originally looking at the Vizio P-series, and since there's no real difference between this and last year's models, I was expecting to maybe find one Black Friday for about the same price as the TCL, but decided it wasn't worth waiting the 3 months and losing 5" for better local dimming.

Using it did call to attention the lack of HDR content, and I initially forgot to order HDMI 2.0 cables, too. I'll probably get an Xbox One S come Black Friday for a cheap 4K blu-ray player to go with it. In the meanwhile I've been looking at setting up sound and starting with a receiver and 2.1 system with room to grow. Audio looks like an even deeper rabbit hole than video, holy hell.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I just got the TCL P605 (didn't see the use for headphone input or voice remote) last week, and have been tinkering with settings and devices, but so far it's been great. The warmer colors that everyone suggests took a day or two to get used to, but after that adjustment period, it looks pretty good to me now.

I was originally looking at the Vizio P-series, and since there's no real difference between this and last year's models, I was expecting to maybe find one Black Friday for about the same price as the TCL, but decided it wasn't worth waiting the 3 months and losing 5" for better local dimming.

Using it did call to attention the lack of HDR content, and I initially forgot to order HDMI 2.0 cables, too. I'll probably get an Xbox One S come Black Friday for a cheap 4K blu-ray player to go with it. In the meanwhile I've been looking at setting up sound and starting with a receiver and 2.1 system with room to grow. Audio looks like an even deeper rabbit hole than video, holy hell.

yeah seems like there isn't much in the way of hdr content outside of Netflix and Amazon originals. the rest are movies you have to pay for piecemeal to stream or have a device with UHD bluray drive.

i'm hoping more games start supporting hdr as a standard feature now that most consoles (outside of OG Xbone) support it.

In the meanwhile I've been looking at setting up sound and starting with a receiver and 2.1 system with room to grow. Audio looks like an even deeper rabbit hole than video, holy hell.

Yeah, purchasing some audio equipment crossed my mind recently and I attempted to browse around to see what things cost and stuff... Seems insane. Not only am I lost, but everything decent/good seems pretty damn pricey... Ugh

UncleMeat

Yeah, purchasing some audio equipment crossed my mind recently and I attempted to browse around to see what things cost and stuff... Seems insane. Not only am I lost, but everything decent/good seems pretty damn pricey... Ugh

Somebody here always recommends these so I guess I'll be that guy today: https://www.cnet.com/products/pioneer-sp-pk52fs/ Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers, not sexy but some of the best you can do until you spend a lot more money. They also tend to go on sale at a pretty good discount once or twice a year.

StMeph

i'm hoping more games start supporting hdr as a standard feature now that most consoles (outside of OG Xbone) support it.

I have an Xbox One already and didn't realize that it wasn't updated to support HDR like baseline PS4 until I loaded Forza Horizon 3 and was wondering why HDR wasn't working. Then I looked it up. GG Microsoft. This is yet another reason why you're so fucked this gen.

Somebody here always recommends these so I guess I'll be that guy today: https://www.cnet.com/products/pioneer-sp-pk52fs/ Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers, not sexy but pretty much the best you can do until you spend a lot more money. They also tend to go on sale at a pretty good discount once or twice a year.

I've been consulting Reddit about audio, and these are the guides /r/hometheater suggests, written by /u/zeos:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Zeos/comments/5zt8mw/guide_surround_sound_51/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Zeos/comments/5b1u99/guide_subwoofers/

The room I'm set up in now is fairly small, so I don't see the need for full surround, but I still plan to get a 5.1 receiver even though I'm probably only going to use 2.1 and expand later when I move.

An entry-level 5.1 receiver from Denon seems to be about $220. A pair of speakers for $200, and a subwoofer for $100 would bring the total for 2.1 sound to ~$550.

I have an Xbox One already and didn't realize that it wasn't updated to support HDR like baseline PS4 until I loaded Forza Horizon 3 and was wondering why HDR wasn't working. Then I looked it up. GG Microsoft. This is yet another reason why you're so fucked this gen.

I've been consulting Reddit about audio, and these are the guides /r/hometheater suggests, written by /u/zeos:

The room I'm set up in now is fairly small, so I don't see the need for full surround, but I still plan to get a 5.1 receiver even though I'm probably only going to use 2.1 and expand later when I move.

An entry-level 5.1 receiver from Denon seems to be about $220. A pair of speakers for $200, and a subwoofer for $100 would bring the total for 2.1 sound to ~$550.

This is good stuff, thank you! Doesn't seem to be as insanely expensive as I initially thought.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Be careful about entry level receivers. Many of them don't offer 4K HDMI passthrough.

The cheapest receiver that does that is (I think) the Yamaha VSX-383 and it's a GREAT receiver if you don't mind the lack of Dolby ATmos.

I find DTS-MA and Dolby TrueHD to be more than adequate for my needs.

StMeph

Be careful about entry level receivers. Many of them don't offer 4K HDMI passthrough.

The cheapest receiver that does that is (I think) the Yamaha VSX-383 and it's a GREAT receiver if you don't mind the lack of Dolby ATmos.

I find DTS-MA and Dolby TrueHD to be more than adequate for my needs.

I was looking at the Yamaha V383, but have been considering stepping up to Denon X1300, especially as a factory refurb through A4L.

Karish

My TCL just arrives. Is there a preferred settings page from rtings or something to follow for the best gaming experience?

The Rtings is amazing. I would just recommend putting the TV on "brighter" and then turning down the backlight to compensate. Everything follow from that guide.

DirtyLarry

Wish me luck tomorrow ladies and gentlemen. My replacement from Best Buy will be here between 12-4 and I am crossing my fingers it is dead pixel free! Will definitely post back.

I also realized I do not think even though I did get an update right when I turned the TV on it is the latest firmware. I am not losing sleep over it since I am getting the replacement but if that happens again, I will just need a link as to how to do it manually with a USB stick.

My TCL just arrives. Is there a preferred settings page from rtings or something to follow for the best gaming experience?

You can follow their calibrations if you want, though my TV didn't look too great on HDR or SDR after. I guess it varies with each TV since I had a noticeable black crush and the colors were overly saturated. I ended up using settings from someone on avs forums who was kind enough to post his 11 Pt WB settings. Turned the gamma down to 2.4 and color up to 80 for HDR Light and everything pops, especially sources of light and fire, with no black crush. Final Fantasy XV, Horizon Zero Dawn, and Mass Effect Andromeda all look amazing.

Karish

Just want to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong here. With soundbar hooked to ARC anything over 15 volume setting is crazy loud. Is this other's experience?

DirtyLarry

Replacement arrived. ZERO Dead Pixels.
Thanks again for pushing me all. Was a pain free process and I was being stubborn.

So what is the latest firmware supposed to be? Mine says 7.6.2 • build 4152-30
Is that the latest?

If not, how do I get the latest? Just checked TCL's support site and I did not see anything about firmware.

You can follow their calibrations if you want, though my TV didn't look too great on HDR or SDR after. I guess it varies with each TV since I had a noticeable black crush and the colors were overly saturated. I ended up using settings from someone on avs forums who was kind enough to post his 11 Pt WB settings. Turned the gamma down to 2.4 and color up to 80 for HDR Light and everything pops, especially sources of light and fire, with no black crush. Final Fantasy XV, Horizon Zero Dawn, and Mass Effect Andromeda all look amazing.

Would you mind linking to the AVS settings?

StMeph

If not, how do I get the latest? Just checked TCL's support site and I did not see anything about firmware.

There should be a option under Settings to check for new firmware updates. It should also show you when the last update was, and when the last automatic check (if enabled, though it is by default) was performed.

Would you mind linking to the AVS settings?

Sure. http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/2869161-official-2017-tcl-p-series-55p607-owners-thread-no-price-talk-61.html#/topics/2869161?page=185

Look for a post by username 'jyqureshi'

Here are the settings if you're unable to locate his post. I bumped up my backlight to 50 for SDR and maxed it at 100 for HDR

jyqureshi
Jul 29, 2017 · #1847
Here are my settings with 40 back light, attached is the calibration report.

TV Brightness Normal
Picture Mode Movie
Gamma 2.2
Noise Reduction Off

Advanced Settings
=============
Local Contrast High
Backlight 40
Brightness 50
Contrast 100
Color 45
Color Temp Warm
Game mode Off

11 PT WB
=======
Red Green Blue
100% 49 42 -255
90% 36 28 -150
80% 19 6 -155
70% 27 3 -125
60% 23 6 -101
50% 10 2 -95
40% 18 2 -67
30% 19 1 -50
20% 23 -5 -29
10% 33 -15 25
5% -1 -14 -46

Color Space
Red Green Blue
Red 0 3 0
Green 0 0 3
Blue 0 3 20
Cyan 0 8 0
Magenta 34 3 -34
Yellow 6 -6 0

RedAssedApe

Banned
Replacement arrived. ZERO Dead Pixels.
Thanks again for pushing me all. Was a pain free process and I was being stubborn.

So what is the latest firmware supposed to be? Mine says 7.6.2 • build 4152-30
Is that the latest?

im too lazy to look but it was posted a page or two back where to get the firmware download.

seems like newer owners are having this issue. maybe they rolled back the game mode/fald update and aren't auto pushing that to users anymore. it could be because the firmware resets all your settings? lol

I was not aware of this and should probably adjust my settings then. Thanks.

Should automatically be at 100 for any HDR setting. I recommended you crank the color up past 45 if playing any HDR content on PS4. I have mine set at 80 and the picture quality is astounding.

Vinc

Anyone can tell me if the PS4 Pro fits under the TV on its stand? Same would be appreciated for other consoles. Thanks!

RedAssedApe

Banned
Anyone can tell me if the PS4 Pro fits under the TV on its stand? Same would be appreciated for other consoles. Thanks!

unfortunately it doesn't. i think the spec page gives dimensions with and without stand so you can kind of estimate the height based on that.

funcojoe

I went with the dudes 20 bl setting:

Originally Posted by jyqureshi View Post
I was experimenting to see how backlight was affecting the white levels and colors, turned out it was affecting quite a bit

Here are settings for backlight 20:

Code:
11 PT WB
Red Green Blue
100% 13 44 -222
90% 6 32 -116
80% 2 23 -125
70% 12 13 -103
60% -6 8 -90
50% 9 20 -74
40% 9 11 -60
30% 21 16 -30
20% 17 3 -29
10% 24 -28 34
5% 11 5 -37
Color Space
Red Green Blue
Red 0 3 0
Green 0 0 3
Blue 0 3 20
Cyan 0 8 0
Magenta 34 3 -34
Yellow 6 -6 0

So far I can say it's def the most accurate color representation I've seen so far.

Still if you're expecting to be omg blown away by hdr you're gonna have to do what others in this thread have done, crank the color up, for me that's completely unrealistic and it's very jarring looking,

RedAssedApe

Banned
default 45 color is fine for me. bumping it up makes things too red and unnatural looking on my set. reminds me of vivid/torch modes in sdr.

Spasm

Well shit, I wanted the 50 since 55 is too large for me. Well this is disappointing since I have been waiting patiently.
Yup, I've been waiting for the 65" and my patience just ran out. I'll be picking up the 55" on the way home from dinner.

I can imagine the TCL CEO sitting in his office after this decision, reading comments such as mine, and muttering, "Excellent..." in his best Mr. Burns voice.

Karish

Yup, I've been waiting for the 65" and my patience just ran out. I'll be picking up the 55" on the way home from dinner.

I can imagine the TCL CEO sitting in his office after this decision, reading comments such as mine, and muttering, "Excellent..." in his best Mr. Burns voice.
You won't regret it

Karish

Following up on this:

Just want to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong here. With soundbar hooked to ARC anything over 15 volume setting is crazy loud. Is this other's experience?

DirtyLarry

There should be a option under Settings to check for new firmware updates. It should also show you when the last update was, and when the last automatic check (if enabled, though it is by default) was performed.
Nah yeah, I know where that is. It updated as soon as I put the TV on. I just do not have the firmware where you can keep Local Dimming with Game Mode. Perhaps that has something to do with...

im too lazy to look but it was posted a page or two back where to get the firmware download.

seems like newer owners are having this issue. maybe they rolled back the game mode/fald update and aren't auto pushing that to users anymore. it could be because the firmware resets all your settings? lol
Okay thanks for sharing this. It definitely checks every day so perhaps it is best to just leave as is. If they pulled the firmware, they did so for a reason I have to imagine.

Top Bottom