• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TCL P607 P Series ( the new mid range/budget 4k/HDR recommendation)

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I own both these TV's, and while the Vizio M is the only one comparable, the TCL is a much better TV imo. The only thing the Vizio M beats it in is viewing angle and that is it. HDR just looks better on the TCL (it has more zones). The darks are better. The TV Roku is just better than the glitchy Vizio M. I understand why the M gets good ratings, because of price but I still regret buying it. It's why I went and bought a TCLP605 at BB.
TCL 6 series 2018 is going to have 120 dimming zones. Nice

The TCl is slightly better, but the Vizio M series is no slouch. Vizio didn't seem to make an appearance at CES so we don't know what their 2018 plans are. I am definitely interested in seeing what their plans are for the P-series as those seem to have been discontinued already.

The 120 dimming zones applies to the 65", while the 55" will have only 72.

JG5253

The TCl is slightly better, but the Vizio M series is no slouch. Vizio didn't seem to make an appearance at CES so we don't know what their 2018 plans are. I am definitely interested in seeing what their plans are for the P-series as those seem to have been discontinued already.

Ah you're right. Still pretty good though

JG5253

Actually just saw a video that said the 55" will be increased to 92

Only gripe I have with the TCLs is the Dirty Screen Effect. They need to get more uniform panels. Other than that it's a fantastic display for the money.

TheShocker

Maybe my eyes are messed up, but I have to turn FALD off, and color all the way up for HDR content not to look completely washed out. And my gama is at 2.0, otherwise panel brightness seems too low. And I play in a completely dark room with now windows.

HoTHiTTeR

Maybe my eyes are messed up, but I have to turn FALD off, and color all the way up for HDR content not to look completely washed out. And my gama is at 2.0, otherwise panel brightness seems too low. And I play in a completely dark room with now windows.

This was my issue and many others over at avsforums; we returned our sets and tried to hit the panel lottery again, or gave up on the TCL.

This was my issue and many others over at avsforums; we returned our sets and tried to hit the panel lottery again, or gave up on the TCL.

most of the people who feel this way are people who are used to torch mode or extremely vivid/unnatural colors. i've read through owner threads on avsforum for several TVs ranging from the p-series to the x900e, and this exact complaint comes up throughout all of them. most of the time i've seen this, it's turned out that the person with the trouble was used to crazy settings.

anglis84

Neo Member
Turn FALD off? Color all the way up?

It could be something is wrong with your set but it seems you are used to LED Tv sets that have extreme unnatural brightness.

I came from a Samsung and Panasonic Plasma so I'm used to dimmer more natural colors. I think they make shows look much more beautiful that way. Test it out on Britannia, show on Amazon which has some gorgeous 4k viewing if you have it, or Dark on netflix. Turn all your lights out and sit in front of the tv.

HoTHiTTeR

most of the people who feel this way are people who are used to torch mode or extremely vivid/unnatural colors. i've read through owner threads on avsforum for several TVs ranging from the p-series to the x900e, and this exact complaint comes up throughout all of them. most of the time i've seen this, it's turned out that the person with the trouble was used to crazy settings.
Nah. Actually look at photo evidence at AVS and you’ll find plenty. It’s a FALD firmware issue on some panels. Programming, logic, or otherwise is failing to adjust the backlight on HDR (Dolby vision) sources. There’s quite a few examples, one I can remember is the guy who posted a million images of fifa 17 in hdr and non hdr. In every case HDR was so dim, the content washed out black.

Last edited:
Nah. Actually look at photo evidence at AVS and you’ll find plenty. It’s a FALD firmware issue on some panels. Programming, logic, or otherwise is failing to adjust the backlight on HDR (Dolby vision) sources. There’s quite a few examples, one I can remember is the guy who posted a million images of fifa 17 in hdr and non hdr. In every case HDR was so dim, the content washed out black.

i've read the entire avsforums thread and i didn't see people talking about this. i saw the fifa image you're talking about, and i don't know what his issue was, but it was definitely not something that other people corroborated. the only complaint i've seen a few times is that hdr/dv stuff is too dark (especially with streaming video). the only thing i've seen with the FALD is that the algorithm is kind of weak, but nothing about weak backlighting.

can you share some examples of people talking about this?

Last edited:

//ARCANUM

Has there been a solution to the washed out DV/HDR issue? When I got this tv last year, HDR content looked great. In a recent update, it’s become broken and now appears Super washed out. It has 100% changed.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
There is
Has there been a solution to the washed out DV/HDR issue? When I got this tv last year, HDR content looked great. In a recent update, it’s become broken and now appears Super washed out. It has 100% changed.
I noticed that glitch but what you should do is turn off the TV and restart it. The HDR should correct itself

//ARCANUM

There is
I noticed that glitch but what you should do is turn off the TV and restart it. The HDR should correct itself
I’ve had the issue for about a month now (that I’ve noticed). It’s been turned on and off plenty of times. (Full power cycles too.)

Maybe I should do a format/reinstall?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I’ve had the issue for about a month now (that I’ve noticed). It’s been turned on and off plenty of times. (Full power cycles too.)

Maybe I should do a format/reinstall?
No idea. The turn off and restart always worked for me.

This TV has since been replace with an LG OLED.

Top Bottom