• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TCL P607 P Series ( the new mid range/budget 4k/HDR recommendation)

1) Wait is there a panel lottery on the 605/607? How can you tell what screen type you have?

2) Also, kinda OT but which of the streaming devices supports Hulu Plus? I have a subscription of Hulu's streamining channels, including HBO, and would like to play them on my TV

RedAssedApe

Banned
1) Wait is there a panel lottery on the 605/607? How can you tell what screen type you have?

2) Also, kinda OT but which of the streaming devices supports Hulu Plus? I have a subscription of Hulu's streamining channels, including HBO, and would like to play them on my TV

panel lottery in the sense that you might have varying degrees of uniformity, clouding, etc? probably but that goes for any tv.

they are all va panels though if that's what you were asking. the poster before me was talking about another tv he owned that he said had good viewing angles (which i assume is IPS) as all VA panels have bad viewing angles.

Goodness, only been an owner of the P series for a day and having spent a few hours seeing what4K gaming and movies off a 4K uhd disc look like, it's hard for me to readjust for 1080p images especially when the bitrate is poor.Watching a movie on Vudu was okay to me just a few days ago.

JG5253

Goodness, only been an owner of the P series for a day and having spent a few hours seeing what4K gaming and movies off a 4K uhd disc look like, it's hard for me to readjust for 1080p images especially when the bitrate is poor.Watching a movie on Vudu was okay to me just a few days ago.
Yea I found it worth it as well. Imagine how I feel trying to play my ps3 games now lol

Klocker

I wonder why they pulled the update I already installed mine and it seems like it works better but I'm still curious.

I'm really not seeing the benefit of fald for games honestly. I turned it off. Makes the most difference in other media but maybe when I have an X and HDR games to play with will make more difference

Spasm

I had to download the update manually from the Roku TV website, transfer it to a flash drive, factory restore the TV and run the update from USB.
So the website DOES have 7.7.0 build 4135-50? It doesn't show version anywhere. Even though it seems it was Roku who held it up?

I downloaded it to USB, but didn't install it cause I don't want to factory reset. What a headache.

TV is sitting nicely at 650 but i wouldnt mind waiting for a special deal

Shit i wish i had jumped on it when Amazon was doing bonus cash back on TV purchases with your prime card

I didnt have my prime card setup at the time

KageMaru

I tested out a video where I was running into issues where the screen would flash consistent at the same spots and the recent update fixed that.

Unfortunately no. Not sure if it's true, but I think someone here said it may be related to an issue with the Roku OS in Europe.

I wonder why they pulled the update I already installed mine and it seems like it works better but I'm still curious.

I'm really not seeing the benefit of fald for games honestly. I turned it off. Makes the most difference in other media but maybe when I have an X and HDR games to play with will make more difference

Really wonder why it got pulled too. Hopefully whatever issues they found get patched on the TVs with the faulty update.

Regarding the benefits of FALD, have you tried flipping through the settings while in a darker area? With it off, you'll likely see some clouding in the corners of the screen. It's a huge improvement having it on.

So happy I took this thread's and others' advice and went for this TV. This will be a good stop gap until I can get HDMI2.1 OLED set for a reasonable price.

Can someone link me to the post that has the summary of what the update does?

Also, how can i verify my OG PS4 is doing HDR?

So happy I took this thread's and others' advice and went for this TV. This will be a good stop gap until I can get HDMI2.1 OLED set for a reasonable price.

I bought this TV for the same reason, I've had it for almost 2 months and am really happy with it. I'll be looking at budget sets going forward with my TV purchases.

RedAssedApe

Banned

Play a game that supports it. :)

funcojoe

You guys think when tcl goes public on our market it would be worth a buy?

I'm just in the same feeling people are going to stop paying so much for TV sets and the bargain brands are going to steal market share.

Klocker

I tested out a video where I was running into issues where the screen would flash consistent at the same spots and the recent update fixed that.

Unfortunately no. Not sure if it's true, but I think someone here said it may be related to an issue with the Roku OS in Europe.

Really wonder why it got pulled too. Hopefully whatever issues they found get patched on the TVs with the faulty update.

Regarding the benefits of FALD, have you tried flipping through the settings while in a darker area? With it off, you'll likely see some clouding in the corners of the screen. It's a huge improvement having it on.

Oh I definitely see it making blacks inky and removing bright spots on dark screens, but my issue is it seems to dim the bright a bit to much as well.
The algorithm may be not up to par. It isn't crushing blacks except in DV but it seems to be dimming the whole screen while darkening the dark, leaving brighter areas to be reduced as well.

In games especially the text on screen goes very dim from bright with a dark background.

I keep it on medium or high for Tv, movies, streaming but some games look too dimmed out and besides making black menus look good I don't think it's as effective form a results standpoint. But again that may change when I am playing HDR games

funcojoe

I just played cod ww2 beta in hdr and couldn't even notice. After playing Uncharted and horizon I expected a little better then this garbage.

O and it's the same old cod.

FaintDeftone

So the website DOES have 7.7.0 build 4135-50? It doesn't show version anywhere. Even though it seems it was Roku who held it up?

I downloaded it to USB, but didn't install it cause I don't want to factory reset. What a headache.

Unfortunately, the factory reset is required for a manual USB installation. Mainly because the option to install from USB isn't available unless you factory reset the TV. I know, it sucks, but that latest patch enables some important features, such as local dimming in Game Mode.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Personal opinion, this is the tv I'm going to buy for my pro and wait till 2019/2020 for a cheaper Panasonic/Sony OLED panel and a ps5.

Not trying to make a 2000+ dollar investment on Tv's that are still pricey and improving rapidly year over year for a console that mainly does checkerboard 4k.

In my experience FALD means a lot more for movies not games.

Most games aren't designed to utilize deep blacks.

Don't get me wrong FALD is amazing but in games it's value is less.

KageMaru

Oh I definitely see it making blacks inky and removing bright spots on dark screens, but my issue is it seems to dim the bright a bit to much as well.
The algorithm may be not up to par. It isn't crushing blacks except in DV but it seems to be dimming the whole screen while darkening the dark, leaving brighter areas to be reduced as well.

In games especially the text on screen goes very dim from bright with a dark background.

I keep it on medium or high for Tv, movies, streaming but some games look too dimmed out and besides making black menus look good I don't think it's as effective form a results standpoint. But again that may change when I am playing HDR games

I see and yeah I get what you mean. I have mine set to high for everything and have been happy with the brightness.

It's pretty noticeable when FALD was disabled in games like Horizon Zero Dawn. I was so happy when they enabled FALD in game mode.

Ashby

Hey guys, I just bought one of these! Is there a guide out for like, perfect settings or the like? I have zero experience with fancy tvs and all the calibration, what to put color and contrast on, etc.

KageMaru

Hey guys, I just bought one of these! Is there a guide out for like, perfect settings or the like? I have zero experience with fancy tvs and all the calibration, what to put color and contrast on, etc.

I followed Rtings guide but didn't touch the color space or white balance.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/p-series-2017-p607/settings

Basically:

Picture mode: movie
TV brightness: normal for SD, brightest for HDR
Picture size: auto
Local contrast: high
Backlight: 20 for SDR, 100 for HDR
Brightness: 50
Contrast: 100
Sharpness: 0
Color: 45
Tint: 0
Color temperature: warm

Under 'Expert picture settings' in the smartphone Roku app I have noise reduction turned off and gamma around 2.2.

Really happy with how everything looks at these settings. Almost everything will switch automatically, so you will have to calibrate for separate settings when watching in SDR and HDR. The only setting I change manually when viewing SDR or HDR content is TV brightness between normal (SDR content) and brightest (HDR content).

Hope that helps.

BHK3

Banned
Yea I found it worth it as well. Imagine how I feel trying to play my ps3 games now lol

is the upscaler not that good in this tv? Was looking at it for christmas but I still want to be able to play my ps3 and 1080p games without my eyes falling out

Klocker

is the upscaler not that good in this tv? Was looking at it for christmas but I still want to be able to play my ps3 and 1080p games without my eyes falling out

1080p content upscales pretty damn well but anything under 1080p has been pretty hit-or-miss with me

phanphare

Banned

fald does a good job of masking the uniformity issues which was affecting me most with video games on loading screens and stuff like that. with fald in game mode it essentially makes this tv near perfect for the price.

RedAssedApe

Banned
PS4 Netflix app was updated with hdr10 support. Someone a and b versus Dolby vision. :)

One thing I noticed is that launching of the app triggers hdr10 immediately and even when watching sdr content it's using hdr10 picture modes.

I think Xbox one s owners complained about this too...

Klocker

Thank you.

Mine is...not good. I can see bleeding randomly all over. Not just corners

https://imgur.com/C2IBndT

Down the rabbit hole! Haha

Yea the screen really has pretty good blacks without fald imo but I certainly have subtle bleeding grays without it, on black screens but with content on I never notice it. I think I got luck with this screen though

Then again this TV is in a dark room with ambient backlighting and I have TV backlight fairly low so that may explain why it doesn't bother me as much

Spasm

Unfortunately, the factory reset is required for a manual USB installation. Mainly because the option to install from USB isn't available unless you factory reset the TV. I know, it sucks, but that latest patch enables some important features, such as local dimming in Game Mode.

Yeah, I have this update (7.7.0 build 4111-50). What I'm looking to find out is if the version currently on tvupdate.roku.com is the one I already have, or 7.7.0 Build 4135-30 that showed up OTA 2 days ago, and was promptly removed. I don't want to do a factory reset if it's the same version I already have.

JG5253

No the upscale is pretty good but just playing old games doesn't compare. Been playing Bioshock infinite and looks decent but yea lol

//ARCANUM

When I saw people post about the firmware update, I immediately updated. Now I’m worried that I did so as it’s been pulled....

Down the rabbit hole! Haha

Yea the screen really has pretty good blacks without fald imo but I certainly have subtle bleeding grays without it, on black screens but with content on I never notice it. I think I got luck with this screen though

Then again this TV is in a dark room with ambient backlighting and I have TV backlight fairly low so that may explain why it doesn't bother me as much

I've played with all settings. No big improvements.

I think I'll deal with it rather than risk going through the trouble of taking it back, bringing new one over , finding dead pixels instead...and just repeating that entire process.

Top Bottom