• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team 17 announces Worms Revolution (PC, consoles - 2D gameplay) + teaser

The Hermit

back in the day the one thing I really wanted from worms was hats. you could write names for your team and all your worms, you could change the voices - even record your own .wav files and use those, but you could never modify the worms' appearance. this is the final frontier team17.

give me hats.

I will give you money for hats.

I once used a database of the simpsons sounds.... it was glorious!

oh shit look at the first coment on the youtube video!

Amir0x is gay

moogrose

just give us Worms: The Last One

all landscapes, worm types, missions, voices, weapons, and shit. make it play online and cross platform.

oh.....give me Vita version please.

Seconded. Especially the vita version bit.

This looks a little strange art wise, but I'll take it if it's all I can get on the vita... Cross platform play would also be nice.

Platy

On the one hand I am most definitely tired of these constant lame ass Worms rehashes.

On the other hand, concrete donkey.

concretedonkeyi6lsl.png

My exact feelings

And they still can't touch Armageddon, despite releasing how many games since? This looks like another aborted attempt at making a decent Worms product. Oh well. Long since given up getting a decent new release.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Basically seems like what a Worms 3 should be. Side-view polygonal with more modern effects and simulation, like fluids and 2D pixel-like (voxel?) collision and deformation and such.
2D, turn based Worms already peaked over a decade ago. It's time for them to do something else.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Jesus fuck, how are they still whoring this out? The series hasnt done anything for me, any significant changes (in 2D titles), or warranted a purchase in like a decade.

Who keeps buying these games?

deleted

Team17 has perfected the art of making an imperfect follow-up to a once perfect game, only to have a reason to make another imperfect follow up.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I want to see a real time, 3D artillery type game. I don't see any reason why that shouldn't exist. Even a semi-real time mode might have salvaged the 3D Worms franchise by speeding up its glacial pace.

Suairyu

Banned
This is totally nostalgia talking, but not using sprites = nope, and the modern-look sprites they had in the PSP-era were garbage, too.

And this isn't nostalgia talking: the original Worms: Armageddon is the only entry you need. It is still played today by a very dedicated community.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
This is totally nostalgia talking, but not using sprites = nope, and the modern-look sprites they had in the PSP-era were garbage, too.

And this isn't nostalgia talking: the original Worms: Armageddon is the only entry you need. It is still played today by a very dedicated community.

The Revolution engine really is beautiful when you see it first hand, loads of nice touches and use of 3D in neat ways. It also has a running theme which will make sense when you see more of it. It's very refreshing, and the new physics engine allows a lot more scope for things to do.

Armageddon was also actually missing half the game. You haven't seen the complete vision of Worms yet, trust me ;)

Emitan

Take Gunbound. Make it not shitty. Ship it. That's all I want.

EDIT: MOVE THE FUCKING MOUSE CURSOR OUT OF THE VIDEO

Piano

Banned
I have completely lost track of the series naming conventions. Just browsing through the titles I can't figure out which one came when.

Have they made any good ones since Armageddon? I briefly played 3D back in the day and it sucked.

Suairyu

Banned
Armageddon was also actually missing half the game. You haven't seen the complete vision of Worms yet, trust me ;)
The original Armageddon, the sequel to Worms 2, released in the 90s, was missing half the game?

No.

It's pretty damn complete. Simple, yet lots to master. Which was kind of the entire appeal of Worms in the first place. Maybe this new game has some new mode or feature invented to pad its checklist, but to make claims that the (thus far) most perfect entry in the series, untopped for over a decade, is missing shit is just bull.

IceMarker

I have completely lost track of the series' naming conventions. Just browsing through the titles I can't figure out which one came when.

Have they made any good ones since Armageddon? I briefly played 3D back in the day and it sucked.

I thought Reloaded was decent, but a combo of Worms 1, Worms 2, Armageddon, and Reloaded, I never need another Worms title in my life again.

Mr_Zombie

Make it more like Armageddon/WWP and less like Reloaded, and maybe I'd consider buying it.
Reloaded sucks with its ugly UI (why the hell everything is so big? why are menus so generic and clumsy?), small teams and even smaller levels :/ The whole game screams "a lazy console port!".

Suairyu

Banned
I loved Armageddon and I like what they tried to do with the 3D games, but people hated the 3D ones, that where trying to do something different, so...
From a tech point of view, the 3D destruction engine more or less translating the mechanic from the 2D games was fascinating.

However, it diluted the appeal of worms - simplicity. The added dimension just confused things.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I have completely lost track of the series' naming conventions. Just browsing through the titles I can't figure out which one came when.

Well Armageddon was called Armageddon because it was meant to be the last of a trilogy, the completed vision for the game that was in my head.

As it turned out I wasn't able to make that happen, so a lot was missing and the 'last' Worms wasn't finished in my eyes. So I felt I had to walk away from it all, which was a very hard decision indeed but the only one I was comfortable with.

The original Armageddon, the sequel to Worms 2, released in the 90s, was missing half the game?

No.

It's pretty damn complete. Simple, yet lots to master. Which was kind of the entire appeal of Worms in the first place. Maybe this new game has some new mode or feature invented to pad its checklist, but to make claims that the (thus far) most perfect entry in the series, untopped for over a decade, is missing shit is just bull.

No, it's fact.

I know because I was there and Worms is my game.

I bought Worms: Ultimate Mayhem. That's the 3D one. The options screen has a setting for inverting the camera control Y axis, so you can play like a civilized person, but it's a lie. The setting does nothing. It's just a checkbox that's not hooked up to anything. But rather than fix that, they're just going to release another game. Fuck these hacks.

Suairyu

Banned
No, it's fact.

I know because I was there and Worms is my game.
Then I apologise for my tone, but not my sentiment. Armageddon is as complete a Worms game as I could conceive. I'll be watching to see what more you felt was missing but I am incredibly wary that any addition to the formula would just be a dilution to a game I have consider perfected (and subsequently all sequels un-perfected) since 1999.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Then I apologise for my tone, but not my sentiment. Armageddon is as complete a Worms game as I could conceive. I'll be watching to see what more you felt was missing but I am incredibly wary that any addition to the formula would just be a dilution.

I sort of know how the game works and what its appeal was designed to be, I did spend 4 years writing it for me and my mates before I even showed it to Team17.

And I'm glad you can't conceive what was missing, because that means it would have been doing something new, which was always the plan as far as I was concerned.

troopershades

Neo Member
Worms 2 had better customization. All you could do in Armageddon was change power on a scale of 1 boom to 5 booms. Worms 2 you could modify damn near everything. For example the number of clusters or bananas and the angle at which they popped and at what force and being able to pick the damage done by initial explosion AND the clusters AND THEN the amount of force they exerted on worms....yeah. When they took that out of Armageddon I was greatly butthurt.

Top Bottom