• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

Fjordson

Foliorum Viridum said:
I haven't been reading this thread for fear of spoilers, so apologies in advance if this has been covered, but any word on PS3 vs 360 yet now that copies are out in the wild?

Still time for me to cancel my PS3 pre-order, if I must!
Going by the PS3 footage we've seen in all of Rockstar's media, the 360 version looks exactly the same. No Ars Technica level stuff yet, though.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Hahaha, shurikened.

edit: Hi Rockstar! I quite liked RDR. Looking forward to some GTA5 news. Bye!

Stampy

There is a mini impression from one poster (phoenix009) on Gamefaqs and his impression, is unfortunately, close to what I was fearing... that basically site investigation turns up to be just a series of on screen prompts and picking up objects which you rotate in hands. If that is really the case here, I am not that surprised that the novelty quickly wears off.

"Story is great and the characters are really well developed. The graphics are pretty good and the environment feels very immersive. That being said the gameplay is extremely repetitive and gets boring very quickly. You drive to the crime scene, collect clues, interrogate people, collect more clues, interrogate, chase down the bad guy and repeat all over again.The side missions are either a shoot out or another chase sequence. There is little incentive for exploring the city apart for looking at pretty landmarks, so the game becomes quit linear. Finding clues is far from hard and just involves walking around till you eventually feel a rumble. Its guesswork with no skill involved. The best part is the interrogations which can be tricky at times and involve some level of competence. Overall if it wasn't for the setting, and the great story to keep you playing to want to find out more, this game would be a complete chore and utter disappointment. I honestly expected better. Like having to solve puzzles instead of just picking objects up and putting them down. I'm a little over halfway through, so maybe it gets better but by the looks of things I'm not holding my breath."

Good on Rockstar and Justin TV for shutting these streams down, why anyone would want to pre-empt their own experience by watching someone else play on a shitty stream is beyond my comprehension!

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Gary Whitta said:
Good on Rockstar and Justin TV for shutting these streams down, why anyone would want to pre-empt their own experience by watching someone else play on a shitty stream is beyond my comprehension!

I agree.

Peff

Stampy said:
There is a mini impression from one poster (phoenix009) on Gamefaqs and his impression, is unfortunately, close to what I was fearing... that basically site investigation turns up to be just a series of on screen prompts and picking up objects which you rotate in hands. If that is really the case here, I am not that surprised that the novelty quickly wears off.

"Story is great and the characters are really well developed. The graphics are pretty good and the environment feels very immersive. That being said the gameplay is extremely repetitive and gets boring very quickly. You drive to the crime scene, collect clues, interrogate people, collect more clues, interrogate, chase down the bad guy and repeat all over again.The side missions are either a shoot out or another chase sequence. There is little incentive for exploring the city apart for looking at pretty landmarks, so the game becomes quit linear. Finding clues is far from hard and just involves walking around till you eventually feel a rumble. Its guesswork with no skill involved. The best part is the interrogations which can be tricky at times and involve some level of competence. Overall if it wasn't for the setting, and the great story to keep you playing to want to find out more, this game would be a complete chore and utter disappointment. I honestly expected better. Like having to solve puzzles instead of just picking objects up and putting them down. I'm a little over halfway through, so maybe it gets better but by the looks of things I'm not holding my breath."

Nooooo :(

On the other hand, from what I've been reading the rest of the cases have a decent degree of freedom for the player, you can interrogate a witness correctly and he'll tell you the next location or you can mess up and be forced to follow him instead, or finding the right solution with just the important clues. We'll see I guess...

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Stampy said:
"Story is great and the characters are really well developed. The graphics are pretty good and the environment feels very immersive. That being said the gameplay is extremely repetitive and gets boring very quickly. You drive to the crime scene, collect clues, interrogate people, collect more clues, interrogate, chase down the bad guy and repeat all over again.
Sounds like this guy was expecting an action game or something. This game sounds perfect to me.

MMaRsu

Banned
Stampy said:

This is what I have been fearing as well, investigation which boils down to holding the view down at an item.

Soda

Peff said:
Nooooo :(

On the other hand, from what I've been reading the rest of the cases have a decent degree of freedom for the player, you can interrogate a witness correctly and he'll tell you the next location or you can mess up and be forced to follow him instead, or finding the right solution with just the important clues. We'll see I guess...

can the rumble hints be turned off?

Fjordson

Stampy said:

I haven't played it, so for all I know the game could get boring as hell after a few hours. But in a game trying to at least somewhat realistically depict the life of a cop, having the player go around solving puzzles sounds a bit silly.

Also, topic on Giant Bomb from someone with the game said something similar about just walking around waiting for the audio and vibration hints. Thing is, he said that totally changed once he turned off all the hints and actually had to scour the crime scene for himself.

Sn4ke_911

Foliorum Viridum said:
Alright, I guess I'll keep my PS3 pre-order then.

Which is why you've been posting the link in several posts... :\

Oh no. Not you again. I mean if there exists a stream i would always take a sneak peak but now with no stream i can't ruin my experience which is great and that is why i agree. You need a new hobby man stop stalking me.

leavemealone.jpg

Sorry if this has already been answered, but if clue detection is based on rumble, what does this mean for people still using Sixaxis? Do the PS3 system reqs specify DS3?

"That being said the gameplay is extremely repetitive and gets boring very quickly."

I've heard this somewhere before. Oh, that's right - it's what every dissenter and their mom says about every Rockstar game.

Soda

Gary Whitta said:
Sorry if this has already been answered, but if clue detection is based on rumble, what does this mean for people still using Sixaxis? Do the PS3 system reqs specify DS3?

It means you'll enjoy the game more w/o the hints.

but I think there is also an audio hint feature (music)

Sn4ke_911

Gary Whitta said:

DS3 = easy mode

Sixaxis = hard mode

Angry Fork

Stampy said:

Disappointing, but i'm a huge noir fan and I think i'll get my money's worth just from the world, story and atmosphere in general. I loved Mafia 2 even though it was short and didn't have side stuff, this game should be at least twice as long so I don't think my money will be wasted.

Fjordson said:
Also, topic on Giant Bomb from someone with the game said something similar about just walking around waiting for the audio and vibration hints. Thing is, he said that totally changed once he turned off all the hints and actually had to scour the crime scene for himself.
This sounds exactly what I want. Hints being turned off it is!

Sn4ke_911 said:
Oh no. Not you again. I mean if there exists a stream i would always take a sneak peak but now with no stream i can't ruin my experience which is great and that is why i agree. You need a new hobby man stop stalking me.

leavemealone.jpg
Uh... you flatter yourself.

Fjordson

Soda said:
who else finds the front menu music to be incredibly therapeutic? lol
Yeah, sounds great. If that's an original track for the game, then they did an incredible job nailing that vintage jazz sound.

Stampy

chubigans said:
Sounds like this guy was expecting an action game or something. This game sounds perfect to me.

To me his opinion seems pretty objective. And although I believe that the interrogations will be awesome, the crime scene investigation is what worried me the most, and this first impression is not making things better. From that 15 minutes video you can already see that things could turn to be rather repetitive if the outline of the investigation doesn't change. It would be a bit disappointing if scene investigation just ends up being a series of prompts, be it on screen or with rumble, after which you rotate the object in question, while the game does all the work for yourself, like pointing out what is really important and what is not.

Sn4ke_911

Camper182 said:
is that bigevents streamer guy gonna play or what? omg

It just started but im not watching the very first beginning.

Yeah, definitely turning off all the possible cues for clues right off the bat. Don't want to turn this into a "Look for the rumble and/or music" type of situation.

Teknoman

Gary Whitta said:

People still use Sixaxis? You'd think everyone would have a Dual Shock by now...just like back in the PS1 days when everyone eventually had a Dual Shock or at least analog controller.

Top Bottom