• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

Teknoman

Net_Wrecker said:
Yeah, definitely turning off all the possible cues for clues right off the bat. Don't want to turn this into a "Look for the rumble and/or music" type of situation.

Yeah, clue signals off for me. Dunno how that would effect the investigation music though.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Stampy said:
To me his opinion seems pretty objective. And although I believe that the interrogations will be awesome, the crime scene investigation is what worried me the most, and this first impression is not making things better. From that 15 minutes video you can already see that things could turn to be rather repetitive if the outline of the investigation doesn't change. It would be a bit disappointing if scene investigation just ends up being a series of prompts, be it on screen or with rumble, after which you rotate the object in question, while the game does all the work for yourself, like pointing out what is really important and what is not.
I guess so, and I'll be turning off all the hints as well. Glad to see the map doesn't have a GPS-style route indicator like GTAIV did.

Tr4nce

Amir0x said:
God I can't wait to start reading hands on impressions of the final version. I really hope the investigation has a reasonable level of freedom and requires real deduction skills. If they pull this off it'd be the dream game I've always wanted.

Hype...going too high...

Sorry for quoting this from Ami, from so many pages back, but this is exactly what I've been saying all the time. Real deduction skills, like an oldskool point n click or something. I hope the game doesn't take us by the hand too much. Haven't watched the first 15 mins footage. I'm on a media blackout, for the first time ever with a next gen game. And it feels good ;)

game looks amazing, why would you want to complicate finding clues? i think point and click is the way to go. The game is about story and the characters. Why did people play GTA IV throughout all of its 30 hours? for the story!!!

rdrr gnr

I think you can apply one's deduction skills as the game progresses, and as more clues stack on top of each other. I don't think every case can be solved by pure logic from the get-go.
chubigans said:
Actually I stopped playing GTAIV because of the story, hah.
And the controls.

Angry Fork

Yea mine isn't lagging, try resetting your modem which sometimes alleviates my problems. I kept the stream on for about 30 sec but I don't want to spoil anything so i'm just gonna wait it out.

styl3s

Only watching the first 30-40 minutes then im stopping, i don't mind spoiling around the first hour because the first hour in any "sandbox" game is always a long tutorial, which this clearly is, not that i am putting it down it looks fucking amazing.

im still torn between PS3 or 360 version.

edit-

I love the "Any lag is on YOUR end and not ours." under the video, note to that, no stream is perfect, im running 20+mbps and i had 2 lag hiccups, defiantly not on my end because i stream 720p-1080p content flawlessly

rdrr gnr

The quality of this stream is amazing. The game looks a lot better than people are giving it credit for. I hope the PS3 version is as sharp.

Im completely immersed into this game already with this stream, im going to dig this.

Uggh, although I hate when games lock the camera to the back of the car.

BluWacky

Heart Attack said:
game looks amazing, why would you want to complicate finding clues? i think point and click is the way to go. The game is about story and the characters. Why did people play GTA IV throughout all of its 30 hours? for the story!!!

Different people play games for different reasons.

I have no interest in GTA - my geek power fantasies don't lie down the fast-cars-and-hookers path - but LA Noire interested me because I've always wanted a genuinely great detective game. Most point and click adventures (which I'm a huge fan of) don't scratch that itch because they're not about investigation but a different kind of puzzle, so when I read that this game seemed to focus more on finding clues and interrogation I was more interested.

I thought Heavy Rain was going down something of an interesting path with Jayden's segments, but then that was a case of spamming the "highlight clues" button and picking everything up you could find. If LA Noire's going to go HERE IS A CLUE at every opportunity it'll be a bit insulting to our collective intelligence.

I'm not sure I agree with all the "well, just turn hints off then!" people. It's like Assassin's Creed 1 which was apparently so much better without the GPS indicators telling you where to go - if that's the case, then why are these things on by default? Surely it would be better to have them turned off automatically and then only kick in if the player seems completely stuck?

Regardless, waiting on more reviews of this before I see whether I pick it up - I've got A New Beginning coming next week which will probably satisfy most of my puzzling needs.

styl3s

Agent Ironside said:
Im completely immersed into this game already with this stream, im going to dig this.

Uggh, although I hate games that lock the camera to the back of the car.
i can't stop looking at the faces as the characters talk, i feel like im there listening to conversations between 2 real while making eye contact.

never in my life have i felt this way towards a game, fucking amazing.. the bodies can be a little janky but i don't care, im never looking at the bodies im always looking at the faces

HomShaBom said:

You got lucky...

Now I'm conflicted, I plan on buying a new Xbox this week, what a perfect game to purchase for the new machine..However I already have the PS3 version pre-ordered and with it being the lead, I'm just more comfortable with getting the PS3 version.

*frantically searches thread for stream link*

Sethos

Banned
Kagari said:
Wait for DigitalFoundry.

Unless that's up by Monday, afraid not - Need to know which order I need to cancel by Monday morning. All these deep comparisons are usually up a tad too late.

Ok, I have to stop watching. The facial animation on the
Drill Instructor
was omg holy shit awesome. I'm sold big time on this game.

Alex

Looks like a really good Rockstar game variant like RDR or Bully, I'm really pleased, I figured it'd stray or falter in areas with an outside developer but it def has that Rockstar polish on a lot of the presentation that I like so much.

Hopefully the original bits that keep it away from the GTA norm are a little more compelling, like Bully. I liked RDR, but I still think Bully is the best Rockstar game.

Teknoman

styl3s said:
i can't stop looking at the faces as the characters talk, i feel like im there listening to conversations between 2 real while making eye contact.

never in my life have i felt this way towards a game, fucking amazing.. the bodies can be a little janky but i don't care, im never looking at the bodies im always looking at the faces

Yeah that quick smile during the lets change the subject interrogation really sold me on the new motion capturing for faces. Hopefully it'll be used in GTA V...and maybe even Max Payne 3 as well.

Peff

Net_Wrecker said:
Gah, so does the day/night cycle really go by case to case? Someone just needs to stand still for an hour to make sure :p

It does.

Shooting looks exactly the same as Red Dead Redemption, down to the dot reticle.

Fjordson

Camper182 said:
blood splatter looks so good with shotgun kills
Yeah, haha. Combat looks surprisingly good.

Looks like there isn't any button mashing to sprint in this game.

Edit: Lmao, ladder fail.

Wasn't it said in this thread that the "aural hints" during investigations can be turned off? I imagine turning off that stuff would get the difficulty up a bit...

Top Bottom