• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Meat: 3DS eShop has a 2GB limit for DD. [Misquoted, not true]

Glad to hear the 3ds is so liberal with size limits, I still don't understand why the Wiiware limit was so Low surely they could've increased it to 64mb without any problems, in fact I to this date have no idea why half of the Wii's internal storage was reserved to the os

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Are we sure they weren't talking about XBLA?

Letting eshop games go up to 2 GB isn't very smart, given that the system only takes SD cards up to 32 GB. Thankfully none of the games on the eshop so far are too bloated.
I wish there was some way to put another card, or to copy its data to a computer hard drive to free space, or to erase and redownload stuff when needed.

Tenck

Letting eshop games go up to 2 GB isn't very smart, given that the system only takes SD cards up to 32 GB. Thankfully none of the games on the eshop so far are too bloated.

You've basically said this twice and given no reason as to why it's a bad idea. If you have money for games, you certainly have money for SD cards.

Edit: Isn't Team Meat huge Nintendo fans?

Glad to hear the 3ds is so liberal with size limits, I still don't understand why the Wiiware limit was so Low surely they could've increased it to 64mb without any problems, in fact I to this date have no idea why half of the Wii's internal storage was reserved to the os

The problem with WiiWare was two fold.
1. The horribly low amount of internal storage that was not properly expandable by SD cards.
2. The fact that, for some reason, WiiWare games had to be able to run right off the RAM.

Glix

What?

Why should everyone be held back by people who won't buy bigger cards?

The angles you people take on issues sometimes fucking astound me.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Shiiiiiiiiiiiiit. I really should invest in a 32 GB card. Considering probably 98% or more of the games on the PSN for the PSP are less than 2 GB (including full retail games), we could really see some amazing games on the eShop if developers decide to take advantage of this.

Nintendo should allow full retail games on the eShop. That would really speak volumes about their online efforts. I know they've mentioned it before, and I would be ecstatic if it goes through.

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiit. I really should invest in a 32 GB card. Considering probably 98% or more of the games on the PSN for the PSP are less than 2 GB (including full retail games), we could really see some amazing games on the eShop if developers decide to take advantage of this.

I think Nintendo should allow full retail games on the eShop. That would really speak volumes about their online efforts.

It'll probably happen, if Iwata is to be believed.

The problem with WiiWare was two fold.
1. The horribly low amount of internal storage that was not properly expandable by SD cards.
2. The fact that, for some reason, WiiWare games had to be able to run right off the RAM.

Doesn't change the fact that 40mb was arbitrary and could easily have been increased to 64mb without causing any problems

Misguided

Banned
I would imagine so, considering their two titles are pretty much hardcore Mario + Zelda. (Simplifying I'm sure, but the influences are definitely there)

Classic Nintendo fans; Edmund McMillen has had some choice words to say about Nintendo in recent years, if I remember correctly.

lenovox1

Doesn't change the fact that 40mb was arbitrary and could easily have been increased to 64mb without causing any problems

But AceBandage just said it was technical. Wouldn't you have to change the entire OS to get WiiWare games to not run off the RAM? That was stupid on their part, but it doesn't seem like something you could easily change.

fernoca

Having a 2 GB limit is pointless given that the system only takes SD cards up to 32 GB. Thankfully none of the games on the eshop are too bloated.

:p

Nice news anyway, no biggie. XD
Plus the unit also has internalmemory, but that's for Nintendo DSi Ware games, camera pictures and some other files.

But AceBandage just said it was technical. Wouldn't you have to change the entire OS to get WiiWare games to not run off the RAM? That was stupid, but it doesn't seem like something you could easily change.
Yep, the Wii per se couldn't stream content from the SD Card directly, so whatever you had stored in there, to use it directly in the games that allowed it (Guitar Hero, Rock Band) it created a copy in the internal memory before using it.

Was apparently the reason Black Ops while having the hooks for DLC, never got any DLC. Since teh maps eahc took over 40MB and they could save it on the SD, but couldn't use it from there.

Retail games being released as DD titles would be crazy good. Flipping on the 3DS and playing through SM3DL? Yes please. (That's if it's ~2GB, ha)

Anyway, they should release SMB on eshop.

Retail games being released as DD titles would be crazy good. Flipping on the 3DS and playing through SM3DL? Yes please. (That's if it's ~2GB, ha)

Agreed. Pilotwings would make so much sense as a $7 downloadable title, for example.

They just have to get the pricing right. I like my boxes and cartridges. I need incentive to give em up.

fernoca

Anyway, they should release SMB on eshop.

300+MB for Mario 3D Land
600+MB for Mario Kart 7

EDIT:
Actual sizes...
Super Mario Land: 307.43 MB
Mario Kart 7: 656.53 MB

EDIT 2:
And a few others...
Cave Story 3D: 466.15 MB
Dead or Alive Dimensions: 96.2 MB**
(**some places report it as over 100MB; so it seems to vary or something)

massoluk

Banned
Wow, I take this as a good sign regarding WiiU shop. That 64 GB card I stuck into my 3DS doesn't sound so crazy anymore.

The fact that you cannot get retail games digitally on the 3DS is ludicrous. Of course I guess I really wouldn't want to DL anything until Nintendo gets a proper account system anyway though.

Xellos

Good to see that Nintendo set a reasonable limit this time. 2GB should be enough for any eShop game and most retail games.

pa22word

Good to hear, and I'm glad they've seemed to learn from their mistakes in this regard. Now if only we could get a revamped eShop that isn't an incomprehensible mess (random categories, search "Wayforward" and only one game comes up despite them having threeish titles on the shop, etc)...

Orayn

That's enough for any of the 3DS' currently available retail titles isn't it? Very good move, Nintendo. I'm hoping to see some devs push that limit on the near future.

test_account

XP-39C²
Do you have any source to this? Just curious to read more about it. I can see some reason if it is to run the games of a SD card, but the ability to do so wasnt added before later on. I dont see any reason to run it from RAM when it initially was designed to run from the internal memory.

That's enough for any of the 3DS' currently available retail titles isn't it? Very good move, Nintendo. I'm hoping to see some devs push that limit on the near future.

All except RE:R.
Do you have any source to this? Just curious to read more about it. I can see some reason if it is to run the games of a SD card, but the ability to do so wasnt added before later on. I dont see any reason to run it from RAM when it initially was designed to run from the internal memory.

It might have just been for games read of the SD card, now that I think about it.
Though, making the limit less than the RAM in the system would also make sense if you wanted the games to run easily.
Dunno, though.

Socreges

Banned
Super Meat Boy is so very good. Just got it recently and trudging through.

Wouldn't SMB be even more difficult/frustrating at lower resolutions?

D_prOdigy

Good to hear, and I'm glad they've seemed to learn from their mistakes in this regard. Now if only we could get a revamped eShop that isn't an incomprehensible mess (random categories, search "Wayforward" and only one game comes up despite them having threeish titles on the shop, etc)...

Why would you type it in search? You can just select them from the publisher drop-down box and voila...

Orayn

Well, even if it's not enough for ALL retail titles, it's still a massive improvement over WiiWare. God willing Nintendo will decide to put some of their first part stuff on DD when sales cool down or a price drop is being considered.

L00P

Good news. I still don't know why they didn't do this in the first place. The Wiiware size limit is just so goddamned small

Waitwaitwaitwaitwait. Gamecube discs had a max capacity of 1.4GB.

Theoretically, couldn't Nintendo totally release Wind Waker on eShop

hatchx

Banned
If they release Super Meat Boy on eshop, I would buy it right fucking now with no hesitation.

Broke my heart when I found out it was XBLA only. I have a pre-wifi 360 and didn't want to shell out for Live either, so online gaming on 360 was out of reach.

Is that a new feature? I haven't used the shop since early January due to the Wifi setup at my college campus conflicting with the 3DS.

Google "Connectify". You'll thank me later. For restrictive college internet, it's a must.

Waitwaitwaitwaitwait. Gamecube discs had a max capacity of 1.4GB.

Theoretically, couldn't Nintendo totally release Wind Waker on eShop

Don't you play with my heart :(

If they release Super Meat Boy on eshop, I would buy it right fucking now with no hesitation.

Broke my heart when I found out it was XBLA only. I have a pre-wifi 360 and didn't want to shell out for Live either, so online gaming on 360 was out of reach.

You could easily download XBLA titles without an actual Live sub. Just connect your 360 via Lan for one time.

Top Bottom