• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Meat: 3DS eShop has a 2GB limit for DD. [Misquoted, not true]

Forkball

It's like Nintendo is learning from their mistake. Or an alien brain parasite has infected Iwata. I don't know which is more reasonable.

This reminds me, I've been meaning to upgrade my 3DS card from the stock 2GB it came with.

Is there any benefit to having a higher "class" card on the 3DS, or do the increased read/write speeds not matter?

I don't know much about DD but when I saw that memory figure I thought it sounded small

2GB is bigger than most retail games.

This reminds me, I've been meaning to upgrade my 3DS card from the stock 2GB it came with.

Is there any benefit to having a higher "class" card on the 3DS, or do the increased read/write speeds not matter?

Yes, the higher read and write speeds help a lot.

FyreWulff

More good news. It seems like Nintendo actually is learning in regards to DD.

Not excusing Nintendo or anything here, but all 3 of the companies didn't think DD would take off. Nintendo just had the worst escape plan in terms of how the Wii was set up, while MS had the best one. The Wii was limited by the fact that the system was set up to only run programs off the main memory, of which only 256MB was available (the other 256 reserved by the system).

Microsoft initially had something like a 50MB limit on 360 arcade games, but they were able to eventually increase the limit each time they released a bigger memory card, and then eventually went "fuck it" and allowed up to 2GB, which is actually due to a technical limitation of the 360 itself as well, similar to the Wii's situation. But the 360 also doesn't require anything to run off a specific media (unless the software itself is flagged to only run from that media)

I imagine the 2GB limit is because every 3DS comes with a 2GB card, so a developer would be silly to make their game unusable to every 3DS out of the box anyway. So I'm also guessing that 3DSes will eventually come with 4GB SD cards, and the 3DS eShop file size limit will be increased along with it, similar to Microsoft's strategy.

Luigiv

The problem with WiiWare was two fold.
1. The horribly low amount of internal storage that was not properly expandable by SD cards.
2. The fact that, for some obvious reason, WiiWare games had to be able to run right off the internal flash memory.

Fixed. Since the Wii wasn't built with SD card compatibility from the beginning, allowing people to load VC and WiiWare games straight off the SD cards would have broken many of them. The Wii's internal flash is consistently very fast in every Wii unit. SD cards have speeds all over the place. If your game isn't designed with variable load speeds in mind, you can end up with glitches.

As for why Nintendo didn't allow post firmware 4.0 releases to load straight off the card, I would assume it came down to keeping things simple for the consumers.

Maedhros

Why emulate them though? How difficult would it be to port a GameCube game to 3DS?

3D versions of Metroid Prime, Wind Waker and F-Zero GX on eShop = system sellers for me.

A port would be a lot more realistic, but it comes with a cost for them. It's not that easy to port games, they have to be optimized. And, if they are, would they be released DD only?

Majine

Banned
How? Both would be new fronts, on Nintendo's part, in the online market.

-One is releasing demos via e-shop
-One is releasing retail games via e-shop

Both would be part of Nintendo's new online presence.

For the demos they are releasing newer game demos and then filling the in-between time with demos of older games.

The only reason someone would say what you said is if they think Nintendo, as a company, was so stupid that even though they are releasing 3DS games via e-shop only old gaes would be released.

The exception would be if Nintendo put a month time restraint on when games would be available online, so as to please brick and mortar stores.

So, tell me how it isn't comparable at all?

Demos are released to to promote new physical products, full digital games are a threat to gamestop and others. If you've been following PSN updates, the downloadable PS3 titles released are almost always old titles, that's why I'm not expecting more from Nintendo.

antonz

It's like Nintendo is learning from their mistake. Or an alien brain parasite has infected Iwata. I don't know which is more reasonable.

Nintendo has a stubborn habit of being late to the party. In this case internet wise really late but the good thing is when Nintendo finally hooks in and "gets it" they really get it

LOCK

Not surprised by the high limit, but surprising compared to the Wii's.

Nintendo is learning lessons people. That's awe-inspiring!

Michan

Letting eshop games go up to 2 GB isn't very smart, given that the system only takes SD cards up to 32 GB.

Nintendo caps file size at 40MB: They don't know what they're doing with online, they're messing everything up.

Nintendo caps file size at 2GB: They don't know what they're doing with online, they're messing everything up.

FyreWulff

This. :/

But that's great, I wonder if it's possible to make it more for the potential 4GB games ?

There's a ton of games on the DVD systems that don't even get close to 4GB. They're actually maintaining parity with the 360 here. PSN games that also release on XBLA are effected by XBLA's 2GB limit, so Nintendo is just matching parity for any potential XBLA ports.

Nintendo caps file size at 40MB: They don't know what they're doing with online, they're messing everything up.

Nintendo caps file size at 2GB: They don't know what they're doing with online, they're messing everything up.

Basically Nintendo has "no idea what they're doing and is messing everything up" with every decision they make.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Higher class cards will make a difference, and no reason not to just get a class 10 card, considering how cheap they are anyways.

Javier

Man, this is great, nice to see I upgraded to a 16GB card. Can't wait to see what the eShop has in store for the future.

Moodkip

Does anyone else hope for DS games on the eShop? Call this wishful thinking but it would be a good opportunity to bring over DS games that were never localized (think Sin & Punishment on the Wii VC). With a 2GB limit, the bigger games wouldn't be a problem (Soma Bringer, Tales of Hearts, Ninokuni, etc.).

Does anyone else hope for DS games on the eShop? Call this wishful thinking but it would be a good opportunity to bring over DS games that were never localized (think Sin & Punishment on the Wii VC). With a 2GB limit, the bigger games wouldn't be a problem (Soma Bringer, Tales of Hearts, Ninokuni, etc.).

It would be awesome, if they could emulate it properly within the 3DS software (IE, not having to run it in DS mode).

Javier

I've been saying this for a while now, but yeah, it should definitely happen. Specially for localizing titles they passed on.

Besides, God knows Ninty could make millions by selling New Super Mario Bros. yet AGAIN.

Instro

Well DS games maxed out at 512MB so its certainly possible for them to do so. Seems like everything is on the table if they are planning to do full retail releases on DD. It would be a good opportunity for games that didn't make it over like AAI2, Soma Bringer, or the last FE game.

Bullza2o

I will only be interested in this if it offers good upscaling to 3DS resolution that is unlike the crappy looking ds games on 3DS right now. That's why I restrict ds gaming on my DSL or DSi.

I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean.

When you play a DS game, it enters a "DS mode" where you can't access any of the 3DS features.
It would be nice if they could emulate the games while still in 3DS Mode so I could see who's online and browse the net and stuff.

When you play a DS game, it enters a "DS mode" where you can't access any of the 3DS features.
It would be nice if they could emulate the games while still in 3DS Mode so I could see who's online and browse the net and stuff.

I seriously doubt anyone would put any effort into something like that when they can just make it run properly without any testing.

Also, I can't see DS RPGs being translated just for the sake of having it on the eShop. I doubt it would sell enough.

Special J

Banned
super meatboy is a horribly inefficient game tho. probably would have fit easily under 40mb if it were developed in a proper coding language and not in flash.

compare meatboy to a game like cave story which is only 900KB.

the entitlement of some indie devs is seriously getting out of hand.

edit: nvm, was wrong about coding

I seriously doubt anyone would put any effort into something like that when they can just make it run properly without any testing.

Also, I can't see DS RPGs being translated just for the sake of having it on the eShop. I doubt it would sell enough.

An RPG probably not.
Maybe some action games with little dialog.

Orayn

super meatboy is a horribly inefficient game tho. probably would have fit easily under 40mb if it were developed in a proper coding language and not in flash.

compare meatboy to a game like cave story which is only 900KB.

the entitlement of some indie devs is seriously getting out of hand.

Super Meat Boy was made with a new engine that was written from scratch in C++.

Super Meat Boy was made with a new engine that was written from scratch in C++.

His point still stands though, considering that they knew they were limited to 40 MB on Wiiware there's really no excuse for their inability to build the game to that specification. It's not like SMB is some super ambitious game that couldn't have been made to fit with some proper planning.

His point still stands though, considering that they knew they were limited to 40 MB on Wiiware there's really no excuse for their inability to build the game to that specification. It's not like SMB is some super ambitious game that couldn't have been made to fit with some proper planning.

They knew they were limited, but they also got ambitious within the scope of their game. Obviously they had to choose between creating a game that best fulfilled their ambitions and creating something that could still be on WiiWare, and their complaints probably stem from them wishing they didn't have to make that choice.

Less of an ability to make a game for WiiWare, and more of an inability to settle for less, I suppose.

I thought SMB wouldn't go anywhere else because MS had an exclusivity with it as far as consoles go. At least that's the reason I remember reading on why it would never be on PSN.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Do they mean just eShop or any DD (like the possibility of adding retail titles as DD)? But I guess for now it's just the former that is at all available so they'd only discuss that in detail, and if they ever really add the latter they'll have different rules for it.

Also, would it be possible to have SDXC support for 3DS in the future similar to how the Wii got SDHC support via a firmware update or does that kind of SD card with even higher capacity (32GB - 2TB) require altered hardware not included in it?

Maybe in a revision?

Orayn

I thought SMB wouldn't go anywhere else because MS had an exclusivity with it as far as consoles go. At least that's the reason I remember reading on why it would never be on PSN.

No, it's the other way around. Sony did or said something that made Team Meat mad, so they opted for a timed exclusive with Microsoft. They tried to slim it down to 40MB for WiiWare, then briefly explored Wii retail, but it just didn't work out.

Top Bottom