• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tearaway |OT| Super Iota 64

Yay!

ZY6u8Qf.jpg

Incredible game, hope to see more in the future.

Got the same today :) Im not even sick of the game after platinuming it

RalchAC

The credits are LOOONG though, wtf. I thought I heard someone say that a 15-people team at Mm made this, but they just kept scrolling and scrolling and listing random Sony people lol

I thought the same thing when the credits were scrolling xD

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Beat it yesterday evening. What a game.

The last time a video game ending made me feel so happy was Journey.

The credits are LOOONG though, wtf. I thought I heard someone say that a 15-people team at Mm made this, but they just kept scrolling and scrolling and listing random Sony people lol

I thought the same thing when the credits were scrolling xD
Have you seen the credits of some indie games? Games are made by few people but there are many other people for localization, bureaucratic stuff, parent companies, distributors and more.
Iirc limbo was made by a single person, but look at the credits(of the vita version at least).

Foshy

Have you seen the credits of some indie games? Games are made by few people but there are many other people for localization, bureaucratic stuff, parent companies, distributors and more.
Iirc limbo was made by a single person, but look at the credits(of the vita version at least).

I knew that there were gonna be more people listed, but I didn't expect Ubisoft-level credits lol

I knew that there were gonna be more people listed, but I didn't expect Ubisoft-level credits lol

It's a Sony release, it's to be expected with all the marketing, localization, external studios, Sony WW studios etc. Our credits for LBP Vita is way long as well and we gave a badge for watching all of them. xD

Elvick

Banned
It's a Sony release, it's to be expected with all the marketing, localization, external studios, Sony WW studios etc. Our credits for LBP Vita is way long as well and we gave a badge for watching all of them. xD
I remember that badge. I laughed when it popped up.

Got this yesterday with a brand new Vita from Amazon.de's lightning deal for 139€ - hell yeah! :D
Only played a bit so far, but I'm blown away by the level of detail. Dat paper craft water... :eek: And the way Iota flattens the creases of the paper he's standing on, strangely one of the first things that caught my attention.

nampad

The Amazon.de Cybermonday deal for the Tearaway Vita bundle will be available again today at 20.00 CET. The price was €139 the last times.

soultron

Banned
Got this yesterday with a brand new Vita from Amazon.de's lightning deal for 139€ - hell yeah! :D
Only played a bit so far, but I'm blown away by the level of detail. Dat paper craft water... :eek: And the way Iota flattens the creases of the paper he's standing on, strangely one of the first things that caught my attention.

You can do this with your finger on the touch screen as well!

I'm trying to contain my desire to gush over this thing until I've completed it. This honestly wasn't what I expected this game to be, but it's much better in most regards because of it. Best integration of touch controls I can think of for starters, doesn't feel either tacked on or random or undercooked, and the way it doesn't break the flow of the game reflects that.

muteki

Well, you get more papercraft plans and with all the confetti (not really all, since you have left overs) you can unlock more pre-set stuff to customize your messenger with.

If you don't use a guide, then taking the pictures of all the whited out stuff really helps you to appreciate the game's art design even more. :p

Otherwise, not really.

That is....disappointing. Great game otherwise but I don't think I'm going to bother going for 100% if all I get is warm and fuzzies and a self-pat-on-the-back.

At least let me see Yoshi on top of the castle or something.

It seems Tesco have screwed up my delivery and I sent a complaint email yesterday. However, I've just had a call, they're refunding the money and I'm gonna buy it digitally. Already got the demo downloaded so I'll just upgrade to the full game. I'll do this when I get home; looking forward to giving it a whirl tonight :)

nded

Good to see the Media Molecule tradition of excruciatingly drawn out introductions and tutorial sequences still going strong. When do I get to jump?

Good to see the Media Molecule tradition of excruciatingly drawn out introductions and tutorial sequences still going strong. When do I get to jump?

I feel your pain, but it's gotta be less than like 15 minutes. It's before the end of the first stage. I dunno why I'm even replying because you're probably already there :p

AniHawk

playing tearaway after 3d world was a poor decision on my part.

also, i might not be too sure on this, but i could swear that 'you' were called 'god' in the e3 demo.

Theorymon

playing tearaway after 3d world was a poor decision on my part.

also, i might not be too sure on this, but i could swear that 'you' were called 'god' in the e3 demo.

Oof. Is it just 3D World being extremely awesome, or is the platforming as lame as Little Big Planets?

Still probably gonna get this game for xmas alongside that PSV Killzone game. My PSV is hungry for games!

VanWinkle

Oof. Is it just 3D World being extremely awesome, or is the platforming as lame as Little Big Planets?

Still probably gonna get this game for xmas alongside that PSV Killzone game. My PSV is hungry for games!

The platforming is fantastic on Tearaway. It's nothing like LBP.

Number45

Getting those perfect runs on Between the Pages and The Tear were painful, but platinum get. ^_^

Magnificent game, and one I expect to stay on my memory card indefinitely.

Skyzard

Banned
Slowly progressing, loving each moment! Pretty tough sometimes too (after the tavern).

No more floaty jumps? (I've not played the Vita version, but I never really did enjoy the platforming/jumping/overall physics implementation of LBP on PS3)

Less input lag, automatic switching between layers, tighter controls and jumping in general. I feel it nails it. Never played the second LBP but I really preferred LBPVita over LBP1, I'm able to enjoy the actual platforming now. Also lets you save downloaded levels to play offline, handy for a portable. Looks great too.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member

Geez guy, why you gotta be all up ins with your moaning?
Surely you see that by giving you the jump later, they're teaching and encouraging the use of touch controls, as well as getting you to look around for helpful bits of the environment. Plus when you eventually get the jump, it feels kinda special.

krioto

Platinumed - I think this may just be may portable game of the year - it's a toss-up between this and KZ-Mercs.

This was such a great experience. I want more.

AniHawk

Daaaamn... Tearaway is that good?

both games are extremely good at what they do. 3d world becomes this insane skill-based platformer at the end. one level took me hours. it's really hard but oh-so-satisfying.

tearaway is more about world-building and exploration. it's much slower-paced, so coming off something that was such a frenzy is really really jarring. i should have separated the games out a little more, but i really wanted to get started on tearaway (and regardless of how i feel right now, it's pretty much the perfect first vita game).

as far as presentation goes, i think calling the player 'you' goes from whimsical to childish. i liked it better when the player was god, or 'the sun' (from what i could recall of the demo), and not just because it plays into my already overinflated ego.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm at my sister's house and everyone went to bed way earlier than usual for thanksgiving. Why didn't I bring my vita? I wish I could be playng this right now

My older brother and I used to game all the time. It was our thing, aside from him beating me up for our amusement. But two or three years after we got the PS3, his interest in gaming started to fade to the point where all he plays are the Elder Scrolls games on release. I continued to love gaming but he left it behind. It always made me sad. It's been 3 or 4 years at least since he's been into and excited about video games. But I put Tearaway into his hands and he can't get enough. We're only together for a couple of days over thanksgiving, but it really makes me happy when he walks into the room and is excited about playing Tearaway. He's practically gushing about the game. I doubt it will make him a gamer again, but I can tell that while he's playing he feels like he used to in the days of our PS2. Thanks, MM.

Elvick

Banned
Whew, finally platinum. Damn Tower of Doom Trophy...
That trophy was the hardest in the game. Those damn guys would die all the time. Ugg... and it's sooooo tedious to get back to that part of the game. Only to have them walk into a leaf and die, or walk against a wall and die, or be shot by the guy on stilts and die... D:<

Getting perfect runs in those three levels was much more fun and satisfying than that trophy.

PS Vita hungry for games... doesn't have Killzone yet...
you're doing it wrong

Number45

UK gaf, is Floella Benjamin one of the narrators on this? I can hear a slight carribean twang in her voice. Just bumped the game from a "ehh" to a must buy.

Never thought id hear a authentic carribean in a video game lol.
I don't recall her having much of a twinge in her voice when I was younger, so I'm not sure. I actually though it sounded more like the accent put on by Calypso in Pirates of the Caribbean (not sure of the name, played Moneypenny in Skyfall (
spoiler
)), albeit a bit more subdued.

I also recognise the thick Yorkshire accent of the male narrator.

I don't recall her having much of a twinge in her voice when I was younger, so I'm not sure. I actually though it sounded more like the accent put on by Calypso in Pirates of the Caribbean (not sure of the name, played Moneypenny in Skyfall (
spoiler
)), albeit a bit more subdued.

I also recognise the thick Yorkshire accent of the male narrator.

Nah, Calyspo sounded off to me. That sounded more put on and a mixture of Bajan and trinny. But it might not be floela, as she is trinny and the voice sounded more Jamaican.

Still im fucking shocked. I had no interest in this game before, (i only downloaded the demo to pass the time) now I feel i may buy it. My nephew will love it even if i dont.

reminder

That trophy was the hardest in the game. Those damn guys would die all the time. Ugg... and it's sooooo tedious to get back to that part of the game. Only to have them walk into a leaf and die, or walk against a wall and die, or be shot by the guy on stilts and die... D:<

Getting perfect runs in those three levels was much more fun and satisfying than that trophy.

Yes, all this happend to me ALL THE TIME. And it was only a bronze trophy :lol

Top Bottom