• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tearaway |OT| Super Iota 64

Beat the game and tried to replay but the scripted tutorials, forced "change your face" and even the rear touch pad stuff does not lend this game to much longevity. It's simply not a game that anyone can just pick up and play and, truthfully, the design is inconsistent (see: the barn as an example). Media Molecule continues to struggle creating something that feels simple and timeless.

Emotionally, this game did nothing for me. Hell at this second, I can't even remember the ending.

image.php

Impossible to disagree more.

Just cleared the barn. This game is fantastic so far and the Super Mario 64 comparisons are spot on. Loving every minute.

Though the "put eyes on blah blah" things are a bit forced. :p

Edit: to above, it works in store as well. Grabbed it today with a gift card I got for Christmas.

Bumhead

Banned
I loved the bits where you characterise things, especially the pumpkin.

That pumpkin had me laughing every time it cropped up.

Okay, I just beat the game yesterday. Thanks for the recommandation here ! It was a masterpiece, a game I will remember fondly and that I will keep playing. It's up there with some of my timeless classics (ICO, Okami, Wind waker, Azel, Gravity rush...)
I'm really happy sony greenlighted two of my favorite games this year, this and Puppeteer (although they both bombed hard :-()

stay gold

Finished this and got the plat yesterday, great game.

The visuals in this are incredible, it impressed me more than any of my PS4 games. Despite shitty sales it'll be a crime if Sony does nothing more with this IP.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
The best part of the game imo is the feeling adventure, the worst is the platforming parts. It's a great puzzle-lite adventure game, but a bad 3D platformer.

If they go further with the IP I really hope they further elaborate the puzzle-adventure parts and make them more advanced. That's where the central mechanics has the most potential in my opinion.

stay gold

I really enjoyed the 2 levels that focused on platforming. Made me feel like Mm have it in them to make a pure platformer for the first time.

Agent X

I also completed the game the other day. It was great fun, very beautiful and creative. I'll have to go back to clean up the areas I missed, and hopefully earn the remaining trophies as well. I'd also like to try my hand at assembling some of the papercraft models that I've received along the way.

Daigoro

just recovered my save from the PC. got a little nervous at it asking me to "overwrite" even though i knew there was no save data on the Vita itself.

im at 99% completion. lol. glad that wasnt lost. great game but i dont want to hunt down confetti again!

Shengar

Considering how very few people are playing it and we are talking about a game that can't even appeal to people on a superficial level, that's not saying much is it? :( and ultimately, stats mean nothing if it just simply didn't do anything for me.

I hated the demo but still decided to give it a chance at the very least. I don't think MM has created any magic since the first LBP imo. Sony's insistence that vita features be used here detracted from any magic MM could have displayed here imo. The irony is that the game intended for it to be your creation when all I wanted was to keep platforming without being interrupted to put a face on something, cut something or take a picture.

Well, at least now I know where your dissappointment come from. Most Tearaway charm come from the overall presentation, not the platforming itself. Your dissappointment is like expecting 2001 Space Odyssey to be something Star Trek only left dissappointed because it is something wholely different.

The best part of the game imo is the feeling adventure, the worst is the platforming parts. It's a great puzzle-lite adventure game, but a bad 3D platformer.

If they go further with the IP I really hope they further elaborate the puzzle-adventure parts and make them more advanced. That's where the central mechanics has the most potential in my opinion.

I can appreciate that. The fact that it wasn't a platformer through-and-through is what surprised me about the game, and how great the, as you say, "puzzle-lite adventure" parts were really clicked for me. I thought the platforming was fine, just not challenging.

I hated the demo but still decided to give it a chance at the very least. I don't think MM has created any magic since the first LBP imo. Sony's insistence that vita features be used here detracted from any magic MM could have displayed here imo. The irony is that the game intended for it to be your creation when all I wanted was to keep platforming without being interrupted to put a face on something, cut something or take a picture.

The last two stages were kind of weak for me because of the gyro controls. Other than that, I think the Vita stuff was well integrated.

These two posts make me consider whether I thought the last two stages were weak because of the platforming as well, though.

Just finished this and was really impressed.

The touch controls don't feel tacked on in any way. I think this is because the papercraft world is so believable looking that those kind of controls feel natural.

I completed all the "don't lose your stamp" achievements yesterday. Just some papercraft/gift/confetti collecting to do before I get the Platinum.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I can appreciate that. The fact that it wasn't a platformer through-and-through is what surprised me about the game, and how great the, as you say, "puzzle-lite adventure" parts were really clicked for me. I thought the platforming was fine, just not challenging.

To elaborate: I think the game had been better if they left out the basic enemies that you jump on, roll on or throw stuff at because those parts of the game felt dull and repetitive. The platforming segments that works best are the ones without enemies where you use the signature mechanics (touch screen and touch pad), typically climbing sequences. The reason these are fun are mainly because the mechanics feels fresh. At the same time, the paper folding touch screen mechanics would work even better in a more puzzle orientated setting where you had better time but where the puzzles were more complicated than a simple one way tear.

I can imagine it would be possible to create really interesting puzzle adventure set pieces within this world, with the same characters and story. You could also make a lot more out of the fact that Iota is a piece of foldable paper in such a setting, making him much more flexible and interesting to play.

I guess what I'm getting at is that MM should borrow more from 3D Zelda (zelda dungeons especially) than 3D Mario, in my humble opinion in an eventual next installment.

Skyzard

Banned
^ Even though the enemy combat wasn't outstanding, I had some fun with it, and I definitely wouldn't have liked it if they got rid of even more of the action! I know what you are saying about the game and the action not gelling, but it's a nice break, even if slightly a bit too repetitive in the game. I'd be annoyed if they got rid of it too though, they already bailed on the capturing wendingos.

What lol, Roto13? Even the shadows are great...there is a real light source, it's not faked, part of what makes the game look so good imo.

Mm should be teaching the world how it's done, not the other way round. Need MOAR from them, and full projects.

Considering how very few people are playing it and we are talking about a game that can't even appeal to people on a superficial level, that's not saying much is it? :( and ultimately, stats mean nothing if it just simply didn't do anything for me.

Doesn't matter what the sales are. I was talking about your statement about MM failing. And they didn't for most. In fact you are the outlier. So please don;t pretend that MM didn't create something special here.

Mine was sealed, and nothing was in that side of the case at all. No manual, no anything iirc.

Thanks. I thought it was the usual GameStop selling me a gutted copy as new thing.

Anyways, the game seems like a lot of fun so far. It was pretty rad dunking that gopher. I don't like being in the sun though.. mostly because I hate looking at myself.

Skyzard

Banned
I agree. I thought it was pretty awkward especially since the position of the Vita's camera meant only the top half of my head was in it.

I think they did that on purpose sometimes! Like they panned the camera so it looked like you were just peering in at the world in some parts, especially the beginning iirc. May be mistaken though.

I assume you don't have a ginormous head of course.

emb

Thanks. I thought it was the usual GameStop selling me a gutted copy as new thing.
No problem. I hate how 'no manual' is a (common) thing now. I ran into the same issue with The Last of Us and Dragon's Crown. It's hard to know, and it drives me crazy.

I agree. I thought it was pretty awkward especially since the position of the Vita's camera meant only the top half of my head was in it.
Yeah, the positioning makes it weird. I always have to move the Vita around to get in the right spot. I enjoy making faces as the sun though, lol.

Wanted to let you know that I let this post sink in and I think you're on to something. Your first two sentences could have been speaking about LBP1, a favorite of mine. I'll take a week off and approach it with different mindset when I boot it again.

I was initially disappointed with the game myself. I kept seeing comparisons to Super Mario 64 and was expecting just that. This game is definitely not a Super Mario 64. Its something completely different and unique and the comparisons do it no justice. I eventually figured that out after a few levels, but I wasn't feeling the game at first.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Having finished it, I think Fez is a much better reference point for this game than any 3D platformer (like sm64 -and that's why I always felt the "modern m64" stuff was so off). Fez is not a particularly interesting platformer per se either, but has the same epic feeling of adventure, interesting and inventive new gameplay mechanics and great endings.The puzzles in T are obviously not anywhere on the level of Fez, and as I've said earlier I would love for them to dig into the puzzle adventure platformer genre (in that priority) in a potential new installment.

Fez is one of my all time fav games, so this is obviously a huge compliment. :)

I think Super Mario 64 is a weird game to compare this to. I feel that Tearaway is more similar to Puppeteer despite being a 3D platformer.

I finished the Platinum for this game last night (finding those last pieces of confetti were a pain, haha). Great game! Admittedly I didn't care for LittleBigPlanet but I loved Tearaway and now I'm excited for MM's next project.

jacobeid

Banned
I bought this on launch day and saved it for my long flights to and from Israel. I loved every minute of it, even if the customization stuff got old by the end (I'm not nearly as talented as some of the people in this thread).

More importantly, I convinced all (yes, all 5!) of my vita-owning friends to buy it. Am cry about the sales.

HardRojo

Just started Tearaway today and I'm loving it, the game looks great on the Vita screen.

1510529_10152762807909057_479718791_n.jpg

Just went through this level and found myself smiling like a kid all the way through, this ride is going to be great :D

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Just started Tearaway today and I'm loving it, the game looks great on the Vita screen.

1510529_10152762807909057_479718791_n.jpg

Just went through this level and found myself smiling like a kid all the way through, this ride is going to be great :D
I'm 20mn past this point and the game is oh so charming.

So much so I spent the last hour doing the squirrel origami just to try, and the result is awesome! I will do a handful more for my girls :)

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Just tried the demo. Wow. The gameplay is fantastic as are the visuals.

Can anyone tell me if the final game is less framey then the demo?

Lunar15

Finished this a few days ago. Fantastic little game. A little short and simplistic, but very well made and polished nonetheless.

I made my Iota Koromaru from P3:

1519d743d122048c80acf043e9be5878d53086e1.jpg

It's weird, this game is perfect for children and seems very designed around them, but I have a feeling not many children own Vitas, nor will many children play this game.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So I finally finished this a few days ago. I'm really happy I did, but I seriously don't get why everyone is going crazy for this game.

Yes, it's a fun, charming platformer. Sure, it uses the Vita features well. But to compare it Super Mario 64 is...Well, no - not even close (at least to me). Mario 64 was something totally special and unique - the exploration, the experience, the magic. I think the comparison between Mario 64 and Tearaway has a lot to do with your exposure and experience with Mario at the time of release.

Tearaway was a neat game, but it felt more like an old folktale. I'm not into folky stuff like that, so that definitely took away from the experience for me. I think everyone who owns a Vita should at least try the game out, but I wouldn't go in expecting the system savior like some have touted it to be. I guess I was expecting more of an open world experience. Many folks said to me, "Just wait until you get to that last third to pass judgement." And I did. I forced myself to finish the game to make sure I was confident in my opinion on the game.

I'd say it's a good 8.5/10 game. Fun for what it is, great for showcasing what the Vita can do, but not a defining moment in gaming [for me]. I think everyone will have their own experience with it, and I think that's what will make Tearaway special and memorable.

Ellite25

Just finished. The game is downright beautiful. There were a ton of times where I was floored by the game's art direction and graphics. Also, I loved the music as well. Some of the best I've heard all year.

Overall I enjoyed the game quite a bit. Put a smile on my face more times than I could count.

Got it today, not having read any actual reviews or anything about it I had no idea wtf to expect.. It is nothing like I expected.... I fucking love this game. First game in a really long time to remind me why I still play games.

AEREC

I feel terrible that this game bored the shit outta me...still need to go back and force myself to finish it...last I checked it said 24%.

Got this at the same time as ALBW and SM3DW and those games were much more fun. In comparison Tearaway feels like you are just waltzing through a unique world with no sense of accomplishment.

I feel terrible that this game bored the shit outta me...still need to go back and force myself to finish it...last I checked it said 24%.

Got this at the same time as ALBW and SM3DW and those games were much more fun. In comparison Tearaway feels like you are just waltzing through a unique world with no sense of accomplishment.

That's exactly what it is.. yet some how it was amazing lol

Ludovico

Just finished!

I absolutely loved the second or third level
with the rain and drumbeats
, then felt like the game was becoming a chore. This was probably due to the lack of challenge and my general disinterest in collection based gaming.

However, the final few segments of the game totally redeemed my thoughts on Tearaway.
Utterly fantastic music, great visuals that tie in perfectly with gameplay, great whimsical designs with just the right touch of ominous sections.

While it takes awhile to really get to this point, the game does an excellent job of showing off the Vita's capabilities without feeling too gimmicky.
And did I mention the music?

Great job, MM.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

Yup. Game is fine for what it is, but it's not for me. I'm glad I finished it, but I have ZERO drive to replay or 100% the game. I sort of wish I didn't buy digital so I could sell it.

Cess007

I'm at the
desert level
but so far, it has been a fantastic game (and came perfect after the disappointment ALBW was); some times i wish the game has more challenge but it's still a great game with a lovely use of the Vita hardware. The music it's one of the best i've heard this year and i can't wait to go back and Platinum the game.

No reason to feel bad for not liking something. Both of those games are tough acts to follow anways.

For whatever it's worth, the last 2/3 of Tearaway are the best parts.

FrsDvl

So I got this game 2 days ago, played through it in one sitting, loved every second of it. Now I'm determined to get platinum. Alas, I'm stuck trying to find 5 Confetti in Wendigo Fissure. Anyone have any ideas where I could've missed them? I've ran through it 7 times in a row, and can't find them anywhere!

Shengar

So I got this game 2 days ago, played through it in one sitting, loved every second of it. Now I'm determined to get platinum. Alas, I'm stuck trying to find 5 Confetti in Wendigo Fissure. Anyone have any ideas where I could've missed them? I've ran through it 7 times in a row, and can't find them anywhere!

You should checked this: http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/tearaway/218133-sos-confetti-scraps-you-cant-find.html

I too, miss some confetti, though only two of them, in Wendigo Fissure. That two particular confetti were kinda glitched as they will only appeared if you die in that area.

Finally dove in last night. Has anyone seen my balls? 'Cause I'm pretty sure that they were charmed RIGHT OFF.

Now to make me some Dark Souls iota's.

Top Bottom