• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teaser for Netflix's Castlevania (July 7, animation, written by Warren Ellis)

Powerhouse is doing the animation as well, doesn't look like it's outsourced. Spencer Wan is the animation director.
Powerhouse isn't a pretty small studio, especially for a project of this size. At best maybe they are doing all the layouts and keys in-house, but the inbetweens that have to maintain the quality in that teaser have to be done somewhere else, and they look tight enough to be from a korean studio that does action.

Either way, I hope this is their big break for more recognition. They've been doing great work for a while now.

cntr

Banned
There's a (non-fiction) anime, made entirely in Japan, about an American chef and his family. It looks like this:

sushi-and-beyond-epis2vzd4.jpg

As I understand it, in Japan 'anime' is just their word for cartoon. Spongebob is an anime, Pokemon is an anime, Wall-E is an anime, etc.

In English, we use anime specifically to refer to Japanese animation. This has a style that evokes anime, but as it's not from Japan I don't think it would actually be considered anime.

cntr

Banned
Japan has the opposite situation to English, where "anime" means all animation, but "cartoon" means only Western animation. Same for "manga" and "comic".

So now we must ask, when is an anime, not an anime?

What makes an anime, anime?

Is it just the visual style? Where on the planet it's made? Who works on it?

If a Japanese studio made Adventure Time and it looked exactly the same as the one we have, would Adventure Time then be an anime?

*stares into the sun*
Also, there were quite a bit of "American" animated series in the 80s that were animated in Japan, like G.I. Joe and The Real Ghostbusters, just to name a few. In some parts, you can see "anime face" with some of the characters too. Because they were animated in Japan, would that mean they technically are anime too?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I'm going to make an OT since there isn't one and this comes out Friday. Need a witty subtitle.

duckroll

Japan has the opposite situation to English, where "anime" means all animation, but "cartoon" means only Western animation. Same for "manga" and "comic".

Manga and comic are used interchangeably in Japanese. They mean the same thing. There's no distinction. In Kinokuniya the manga section is labeled "comics". When Japanese talk about western comics they tend to say "amekomi" (American Comics).
I don't think I've seen "cartoon" used in Japanese in that context much either. Just calling it anime like everything else seems much more common. Definitely not comparable to the widespread use of "anime" in English to refer specifically to Japanese animation.

Edit: Holy shit that post is more than a month old lol.

cntr

Banned
Huh, people told me otherwise. Guess they were wrong!

What do they call European comics? Just curious.

duckroll

Huh, people told me otherwise. Guess they were wrong!

What do they call European comics? Just curious.

I dunno if there's any common shorthand for that, since I don't come across people talking about European comics as an overall medium. Amekomi is very common these days because unsurprisingly there's a lot of interest these days due to the superhero boom in films and whatnot. Especially when Japanese animators and creators want to express the difference in artistic style and inspiration when talking about whether a superhero work they are making is Japanese style (Kamen Rider, Ultraman, etc) or Western style (Marvel, DC, etc).

God if this isnt available in Malaysia on Netflix I'll be sending a strongly worded letter to them :mad:

We already missed out on Voltron.

duckroll

God if this isnt available in Malaysia on Netflix I'll be sending a strongly worded letter to them :mad:

We already missed out on Voltron.

The reason Voltron is unavailable is being in South East Asia Dreamworks has their own animation channel on cable networks. Voltron is a Dreamworks and Netflix co-production, and Dreamworks kept the distribution rights for their own channel in Asia. It's lame, but that's why.

The reason Voltron is unavailable is being in South East Asia Dreamworks has their own animation channel on cable networks. Voltron is a Dreamworks and Netflix co-production, and Dreamworks kept the distribution rights for their own channel in Asia. It's lame, but that's why.

I didnt know that, and that sucks :(

Top Bottom