• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teaser for Netflix's Castlevania (July 7, animation, written by Warren Ellis)

Looks great! I wished I had played a Castlevania game before watching this. Are there are good ones on PS4?
Dude no, u just need to find a way to play Symphony of the Night.

One of the best games ever made, no lie this is one of the only things most of Gaf would prolly agree with

I like the visuals at least. Hope this ends up being good.

One of the best games ever made, no lie this is one of the only things most of Gaf would prolly agree with

Yeah this is true. He should play Rondo of Blood as well.

Choabac

I've heard that Symphony of the Night is fantastic.

This would have been an excellent opportunity for Konami to port over that and Rondo to current consoles to tie in sales.

Looks great! I wished I had played a Castlevania game before watching this. Are there any good ones on PS4?

None, unless there's a port of any of the below.

These are the ones worth playing, ranked best to worst (starred are metroid style, unstarred are classic style, 2 is a mix)

Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night*
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia*
Castlevania: Rondo of Blood
Castlevania: Bloodlines
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow*
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow*
Castlevania: Circle of the Moon*
Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance*
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin*
Castlevania
Super Castlevania iv
Castlevania II: Simon's Quest(with bisqwit hack)

Piichan

Banned
This looks leagues better than the expectations I had when I first heard about this project. Will check it out. Might be a good reason to actually get into the Castlevania game series as well.

These are the ones worth playing, ranked best to worst (starred are metroid style, unstarred are classic style, 2 is a mix)

Castlevania
Super Castlevania iv

I'd add Dracula X Chronicles(Rondo of Blood remake) is mandatory if you own a PSP or Vita.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

Castlevania
Super Castlevania iv
Putting Castlevania III first and Super Castlevania IV a distant last after all the metroidvanias will take a lot of explaining to make sense to me.

Pretty sure much of the CV fanbase regards SCIV as top 3 or top 5 material.

basically so long as you play Symphony of the Night, you're set

either Super IV, III, the original or Rondo of Blood will do for classic Castlevania, with the provision that Rondo is the one to play but it's a bit less accessible than the NES games

Reminds me of stuff like ninja scroll. Props to them for going in on the old bloody and violent anime aesthetic

If this looked more modern or western it wouldn't be as exciting

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Putting Castlevania III first and Super Castlevania IV a distant last after all the metroidvanias will take a lot of explaining to make sense to me.

Putting SC IV that low is a crime, but even the original should at least be above Portrait of Ruin.

Anyway, to play most of them your best right now is actually WiiU and/or (3)DS. WiiU has I-IV, Circle of the Moon and Aria of Sorrow on virtual console, which is one of the best metroidvanias.

Lord Fagan

Man, I totally thought this was gonna be live action. When it was announced.

That being said, the NES cartridge intro set just the right tone, and the animation looks slick.

I'm still on board, this looks quite alright.

Unexpected, creative...but quite alright.

Fbh

Hey so Netflix does actually have other animation partners aside from the studio making those ugly CGI shows?.

Anyway. Looks surprisingly better than I expected.

dan2026

This is an American production right?
So the original language is in English?

Are they dubbing it for Japan?
Sorry it just looks so anime its hard to believe its not Japanese.

Please remember that this is a list of vania games that I think are good - if I didn't think it was good it wouldn't be on the list at all, like all the 3d games for example.

That said it's low because it's way too easy for what it is.

Man, I totally thought this was gonna be live action. When it was announced.

That being said, the NES cartridge intro set just the right tone, and the animation looks slick.

I'm still on board, this looks quite alright.

Unexpected, creative...but quite alright.

Read a little more in the future. It was announced as an animated project. :p

Ripenen

Looks like this will be TV-14 or maybe even TV-MA kinda show. My kid loves the Castlevania games but this might be a bit above his age range.

TheShinobi

Neo Member
Putting SC IV that low is a crime, but even the original should at least be above Portrait of Ruin.

Anyway, to play most of them your best right now is actually WiiU and/or (3)DS. WiiU has I-IV, Circle of the Moon and Aria of Sorrow on virtual console, which is one of the best metroidvanias.
Honestly 4 is my least favorite of the classicvanias, besides 2 of course. I still love it, I just think that rondo and bloodlines were much better.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Hey so Netflix does actually have other animation partners aside from the studio making those ugly CGI shows?.

They have tons of animation studios they work with. Troll Hunters is from DreamWorks for example and looks better than a lot of theatrical CG movies.

How much... time have you spent looking at Netflix original animation?

They have their own anime, they're partnered with Dreamworks Animation which results in 2D (TURBO, Home, Mr Peabody & Sherman) and 3D shows (Troll Hunters), they have Bojack Horseman which is 2D done in ToonBoom, Castlevania coming in July, etc.

duckroll

Written and produced by american studios, with design/boards/preproduction from a texas-based studio and animation most likely from a korean studio.

Is it anime if a single native Japanese artist isn't involved in the pipeline?

Powerhouse is doing the animation as well, doesn't look like it's outsourced. Spencer Wan is the animation director.

So now we must ask, when is an anime, not an anime?

What makes an anime, anime?

Is it just the visual style? Where on the planet it's made? Who works on it?

If a Japanese studio made Adventure Time and it looked exactly the same as the one we have, would Adventure Time then be an anime?

*stares into the sun*

cntr

Banned
An anime is animation that comes from Japan. Most of it is shit, but some of it is good.

Why make it more complicated than that? It's not like the quality of the series hinges on whether it's called an anime or not.

Top Bottom