• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teaser for Netflix's Castlevania (July 7, animation, written by Warren Ellis)

Not only is Warren Ellis one of my all-time favorite writers, but he's also an alternate-timeline version of Tom Hardy:

220px-Warren_Ellis_by_Gage_Skidmore.jpg

ZoddGutts

Cool this is happening, shame it's only 4 eps, maybe it's more of a pilot to see if it's popular enough to further continue it? Also wonder what happened to that Vampire Hunter D series by Digital Frontier (Resident Evil CG movies and Gantz:O CG movie), they were shopping the project hoping a TV network or a on-demand provided would pick it up late last year. Hope we hear something has come out of that.

Cool this is happening, shame it's only 4 eps, maybe it's more of a pilot to see if it's popular enough to further continue it? Also wonder what happened to that Vampire Hunter D series by Digital Frontier (Resident Evil CG movies and Gantz:O CG movie), they were shopping the project hoping a TV network or a on-demand provided would pick it up.

It's two parts for 8 eps total.

I suspect Netflix may be experimenting with their model a little here, since after all they're a streaming service who don't need to provide weekly updates. So if Ellis felt the best story he could tell was eight episodes long, they gave it to him.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
It's two parts for 8 eps total.

I suspect Netflix may be experimenting with their model a little here, since after all they're a streaming service who don't need to provide weekly updates. So if Ellis felt the best story he could tell was eight episodes long, they gave it to him.

Each episode is apparently 30 minutes too, so we're pretty much getting two 2-hour long Castlevania movies :D

Edit: Just noticed, the scene where he gets the scar is in the teaser, you see his face all bloodied up from a slash across his eye

Ashodin

I got SUUUUUUUUUUUUUPER Vampire Hunter D vibes from watching the trailer. ANyone who's an old school 90s anime fan will love this.

Crocodile

I'm impressed. This looks way much better than I expected :O

Hopefully they nail the proverbial landing

Anime style? That's a shame.

Putting aside that "anime style" can mean a million different things, did you watch the teaser? I don't know how even the most seasoned "anime hater" still doesn't seem something to like here"?

Really? Someone at Konami fucking up?

I mean, that's what they've been doing like professionals for years now.

Yeah, admittedly not getting my hopes up too much there.

Each episode is apparently 30 minutes too, so we're pretty much getting two 2-hour long Castlevania movies :D

Edit: Just noticed, the scene where he gets the scar is in the teaser, you see his face all bloodied up from a slash across his eye

Oh, that's another possibility - they basically are two movies (or to go with animation covention, potentially two OVAs) that Netflix have just split up for viewing purposes.

Nether!

Cool!
A few people in the thread have said the animation doesn't look good, what does that mean? It looks fine to me.

Instro

Looks great. Last I heard they are using a original Belmont character even though they are doing CV3 storywise which is a bit of a bummer. Oh well.

Probably a good idea to have it be short. There isn't a ton to do with Castlevania lore. Unless you start getting into the future Dracula of dawn of sorrow/aria.

Might actually be a good idea to do short seasons focused on a generation of the belmonts.

Cool!
A few people in the thread have said the animation doesn't look good, what does that mean? It looks fine to me.

Compared to other anime and animated productions it looks to have a moderate to low budget. Considering its also only 4 episodes with another 4 episodes airing at a later time also proves that point. For only 4 episodes it should look 10 times better. The coffin scene looked particularly bad to me but ill wait till the final thing is out.

Retro

Fuck me. This is hitting all the right buttons for me.

If this first season covers Castlevania 3 does that me we could see a season based on Symphony of the Night?

I mean, eventually. Following the games exactly would give you Christopher (CV Adventure 1 & 2), then Simon (CV1 & 2), then Richter (Rondo and SotN). They'd probably skip the Gameboy titles though. That also doesn't include non-Belmont games like Curse of Darkness, Harmony of Dissonance, etc.

Edit: Harmony of Dissonance is Juste Belmont, I forgot that. Juste like everything else about that piece of shit game.

Xe4

Banned

Retro

This may be a dumb question but didn't see it. Will the main character be a Belmont(if so which one) or Alucard?

It's based on Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse, so that'd be Trevor Belmont. Alucard is definitely in it though, along with Sypha and Grant.

I like it. If I have one complaint about the artstyle, it's that it is trying too hard to look like '90's TV anime. Everything else is pretty on point.

It's going to follow a different Belmont than Simon, Trevor or any other in a game already.
http://www.usgamer.net/articles/cas...lix-in-2017-from-warren-ellis-and-adi-shankar

It's based on Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse, so that'd be Trevor Belmont. Alucard is definitely in it though, along with Sypha and Grant.

Thanks. Was definitely hoping but for a symphony of the night storyline but castlevania III isn't bad either.

JCG

I hope Warren Ellis did more for this than what he did for the various Marvel Anime series from a few years back.

Top Bottom