• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Techspot 'Xbox One's struggles are traceable to one bad decision'

BriGuy

I'm still going to place the lion's share of blame on the DRM policies and the "yeah, I suppose it also plays games, but have you seen those TV features?!" mentality for the Xbone's current woes. To Microsoft's credit, they've bent over backwards trying to reverse a lot of those poor decisions, but many people are still bitter that they attempted them in the first place.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Xbox One's struggles had nothing to do with power, and everything to do with their original anticonsumer vision. That was a train wreck that spread like wildfire on social media. The fact that PS4 is more powerful, and was $100 cheaper ensured that Microsoft wouldn't be bouncing off the ropes, but rather hitting the mat.

Lucky for them they've made the changes they needed, and are really offering some great deals as well as very strong content. Gamers will forgive and forget as time goes on, as long as you provide them with a killer library of games.

Wii U will top both for sure, but looking at the release schedule for 2015 I'd put Xbox One way at the bottom on the games front.

That's a very nearsighted outlook considering the X1 and PS4 will outlast the Wii U for a number of years, as their libraries keep growing.

Guerrilla

stupid article is stupid. No a console war is not determined by one decission.

There isn't even a lot of reasoning in that article, it's mostly "I have a gut feeling that it is due to the ram" There could be an equal or better case be made for other bad decissions like drm or higher price point due to kinect. There could even be a case made that no matter what ms would have done, sony would have won. Last time they were pretty much head to head and the xb360 had better multis, 200$ cheaper price, and was A FULL YEAR faster to market. These are huuuuge advantages, still only managed to match sony. The playstation brand is fin strong.

Derpcrawler

Theoretically, if the XB1 had used GDDR5 and used the freed-up die space for the GPU, would the two consoles have been almost the same both in terms of architecture and performance?

Xbox would be slightly more powerful, because ESRAM + APU takes more die space than whole PS4 APU. They would either end up exactly same or if Microsoft would keep die budget, get GDDR5 and drop ESRAM Xbox would have extra 2-4 CUs over PS4, if they would use same CPU.

IMO its actually the GPU that's the problem. The 8GB DDR3 with 32mb esram could have stood up reasonably well against the 8GB of GDDR5. However if your GPU is significantly less powerful, then you have no shot at parity.

It seems to me that the resolution disparity between the two consoles has more to do with the different in GPU power than the pools of RAM.

Derpcrawler

IMO its actually the GPU that's the problem. The 8GB DDR3 with 32mb esram could have stood up reasonably well against the 8GB of GDDR5. However if your GPU is significantly less powerful, then you have no shot at parity.

It seems to me that the resolution disparity between the two consoles has more to do with the different in GPU power than the pools of RAM.

No, it's more complex than that. Microsoft wanted 8Gb RAM from the get go, back then only 2-4Gb of GDDR5 was possible and they didn't want to make 2 huge RAM/VRAM pulls, so ESRAM acted as a band aid to DDR3 performance issues, due to nature of on die memory it took way too much space from APU. Read my post above, if not for ESRAM Xbox would have bigger APU than PS4.

Sony got lucky that GDDR5 just barely did hit the density needed to ship PS4 with 8Gb, there was much higher chance that PS4 would end up with 4Gb of RAM.

From the article:

Can you imagine if Microsoft had just opted for DDR5 memory? The Xbox One and the Playstation 4 would have the same exact hardware.

lol @ "the exact same hardware". A website called "tech spot" that doesn't even understand that the biggest difference between the two consoles is the GPU and not the RAM. Garbage article written by someone who apparently doesn't understand what they are talking about.

This analysis is hilariously off the mark IMO. Bundling the kinect and a $500 price point was a huge mistake, and the DRM policies were equally damaging. Those two things had way more impact than some games running at a lower resolution on XB1. I understand the site writing this has a tech perspective, but try and see outside that narrow box you're in.

This quote was also a bit silly.

The game's publisher sees that the Playstation 4 version sold better and concludes they should put more resources behind the winning platform. Those resources translate to better games which gives consumers even more reason to choose Sony. Microsoft itself earns less revenue to make up for its loss leader, the console itself.

More resources? Better games? I guess he's talking purely about resolution here? That doesn't require "more resources", it requires a stronger GPU, which the PS4 has.

Jack cw

I used to have the same opinion as yours, but someone told me that the brand reputation is nowhere to give PLAYSTATION such lead in Europe...
PS3 made it's lack of sales in NA and US up with mostly sales in mainland EU and JP of course. Different territories, different priorities. I'm not saying brandpower alone is the reason, but a combination of things. Still, PS4 is marketed as a must have "lifestyle" product like an iphone and is pretty popular with kids and teens too. I think Sony willingly and also randomly nailed the "playstation" phrase and that's why it's selling so much. As conservative as the console is, Sony managed to differenciate it from the competition with clever design and marketing and with help of the word of mouth.
The 360 was everything but dead in Europe and if MS would have continued like they did in the early years of the 360 I am quite certain they'd lead in Europe as well. Brand power is something very fragile and Sony almost screwed it. They only had luck the MS fucked it up good.
Still a very mediocre performance, if you consider the price, launchdate, games library, great online. In all keymarkets, 360 performed better than the original xbox but was nowhere as close to Sony. I'm talking about Germany, France, Italy and Spain. And do not underestimate Sonys efforts in the last few years with PS3 and their support with exclusives, they struggled but maintained the brandpower, and we will never now how 360 performed if it hasn't been for the stop in brand and portfolio development.

TyrantII

Putting 8GB of DDR3 or a beefier on die GPU wouldn't have done much. You're limited by your bus speeds and the bottleneck is between the DDR3 and eSRAM.

And that's the issue. You can't increase the eSRAM pool without drastically increasing production costs (lowering yields) due to the size on die. That also leaves less room for the CPU/GPU. Increasing the GPU makes no sense when you're limited to a 32MB buffer.

This is the no good options decision of going with a DDR3 machine.

you know I got mine for Halo and xbox exclusives.
I got my ps4 for cross platroms and sony exclusives.

I really couldn't care less if it's 900p or 1080p as long as the games are fun and awesome.

First of all, most people won't be buying 2 consoles and will have to make a decision between the two.
Second of all, there must be a reason behind you choosing PS4 for multiplats and XBox just for exclusives, no?

Xando

This quote was also a bit silly.

More resources? Better games? I guess he's talking purely about resolution here? That doesn't require "more resources", it requires a stronger GPU, which the PS4 has.

To be fair if PS4 continues to outsell XB1 at this pace i could see developers doing more optimization for PS4, pushing for better framerates or more graphical effects basically investing more time in the PS4 version.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
stupid article is stupid. No a console war is not determined by one decission.

There isn't even a lot of reasoning in that article, it's mostly "I have a gut feeling that it is due to the ram" There could be an equal or better case be made for other bad decissions like drm or higher price point due to kinect. There could even be a case made that no matter what ms would have done, sony would have won. Last time they were pretty much head to head and the xb360 had better multis, 200$ cheaper price, and was A FULL YEAR faster to market. These are huuuuge advantages, still only managed to match sony. The playstation brand is fin strong.

Pretty much, it wasn't only one thing that made Sony so successful it was a combination of Microsoft's mistakes and Sony's handling of those mistakes.Once you add all that stuff up the Xbox one had a certain perception that made it a hard sell, that's why Microsoft is doing a crazy 350 bundle. I don't understand how Microsoft could fuck up so bad this gen, they fucked up bad.....kinda like Sony last gen except i don't think Microsoft has the worldwide brand recognition to recover unlike Sony. Playstation 4 won this gen and i don´t think Microsoft can really do anything to change that.

I blame the failure so far of the Xbox One on one thing:

jallardinterview.jpg

The lack of J Allard

Vyer

Mainstream doesnt really give a shit about RAM in their video game console.

Kinect/$100 compared to the competition is the 'one' mistake, if we have to choose.

No, it's more complex than that. Microsoft wanted 8Gb RAM from the get go, back then only 2-4Gb of GDDR5 was possible and they didn't want to make 2 huge RAM/VRAM pulls, so ESRAM acted as a band aid to DDR3 performance issues, due to nature of on die memory it took way too much space from APU. Read my post above, if not for ESRAM Xbox would have bigger APU than PS4.

Sony got lucky that GDDR5 just barely did hit the density needed to ship PS4 with 8Gb, there was much higher chance that PS4 would end up with 4Gb of RAM.

I seem to remember someone (Cerny?) saying in an interview that they took a real gamble with the GDDR5, as they may have had to make do with 4GB at the time. Thankfully the gamble paid off.

nullpoynter

This article is full of it, DRM and the price did way more harm then the ram, the power difference is real and a factor in the sales gap, but everyone I know, knew about DRM due to twitter, and everyone saw the 500 vs 400 at launch, very few knew about the power difference. Being extremely NA focused did not help either.

Exactly, first impressions mean everything. I still have a sour taste in my mouth from that launch. I know others who haven't transitioned to the next-gen yet, and they're still considering the PS4 mainly due to the One's launch disaster.

Bgamer90

Banned

Bingo.

I'm really amazed at how many don't realize that the Playstation brand is simply more popular worldwide. MS made mistakes no doubt but even if they didn't the results would more than likely be the same. You pointed it out -- PS3 still matched the Xbox 360 in sales even though the latter came out a year earlier. Foreign countries (outside of US and UK) helped with that.

I would go as far as to say that releasing one year (or more) ahead of the PS4 was the only way the Xbox One could have beat the system in overall sales. It was pretty much a wrap in terms of who would be "number one" this ten when it was stated that both consoles would release at the same time (months before they launched).

TSS21

Neo Member
I think it's ignorant (or click bait biased) for a website to blame the sales gap on a fine line. It's a combination of things. From the memory, to the DRM, to the rumor mill. Heck I'd wager that the "Xbone" name even had a ripple effect.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
TechnicPuppet said:
The 360 was weaker? PS3 had some worse multi plats than the XB1 will ever have.
There were none that both ran-worse and at 50% lower resolution - I'm not sure that ever happened in history of consoles actually - there's certainly no historical precedent for lower-resolution on one platform being a standard.
Not to mention PS3 actually had a few multiplatforms that ran at higher-resolution and/or had other improvements.

Nah, it was definitely more than the article makes out. I bought mine at launch, but if there was one thing that would've put me off, it would have been down to the system being released in a broken state, which is what some of the "insiders" would have you believe.

In terms of the public at large, MS should have taken a hit on Kinect and swallowed the cost. The confused messaging around the always online and buying/selling used games was also bad. Those aspects are worse than it being the less powerful console.

Man

Weak hardware hurts, but the PS2 also had week hardware, and so did the Wii.
The PS2 was considered extremely hot tech. Emotion Engine etc, humongous R&D.
It just released in a *very* turbulent and maturing hardware age so that the original Xbox (which released almost two years after the PS2) could step in with 'off-the-shelves' parts that were from a new paradigm (programmable gpu shaders).

Bgamer90

Banned
Sony won't have much trouble selling much more PS4s, Microsoft has slipped and misjudged the market. They could have gotten away with DRM, policies of all kinds so as long as the hardware was on par or better than its direct competitor.

No way. Hardware is no where near that important. As someone else brought up, the Xbox One pre-orders were low before news came out about the difference in resolutions with some of the launch multiplats. People didn't want to put up with the confusing policies.

bombshell

40% difference...WUT? Did they mistake the GPU disparity for the gap in sales?

No, they sourced Ars Technica, who recently published an article estimating the sales gap.

They estimated the ceiling of Xbox One sales, meaning the most optimistic, best-case sales.

They estimated the floor of PS4 sales, meaning the most pessimistic, worst-case sales.

This put PS4 at a minimum 40% more sales, in reality the worldwide sales gap is much closer to 100% than 40%.

spekkeh

Banned
Hardware site says main reason xbox one is losing is hardware.

News at eleven.

Personally I think the real main reason is that Sony worked hard near the end of the last generation to create a positive Playstation vibe. Strong exclusives, artsy games, free games everywhere, cool commercials. Meanwhile, Microsoft didn't give a shit and actively milched their users. Ads, ads, here's more basic functionality behind a paywall, and some additional ads. The conferences just confirmed what everybody was already feeling. Playstation: good. Xbox: bad.

DC R1D3R

Banned
considering the success of xbox 360, microsoft were way too frugal in their X1 hardware outlay budget. they fucked themselves.

Sony gambled with ambition and beat the shit outta microsoft!

numbers don't lie.

Jack cw

No way. Hardware is no where near that important. As someone else brought up, the Xbox One pre-orders were low before news came out about the difference in resolutions with some of the launch multiplats. People didn't want to put up with the confusing policies.

Agreed. Most people on social netweorks were talking about the anti consumer stance and only a hardcore part about power differences. The race would have been much closer if Microsoft had a clear communication pro consumer and a focus on games. I just hope the learned their lesson. I was 8 years with 360 because it was modern, user friendly and focused on games (at leat in it's first 4 years).

D.Lo

Too early and current Xbox One users will be annoyed. Why would you buy a new console after a company straight up abandons their previous one early.
Yeah Microsoft would never have done that exact same thing before.

Scotch

'Techspot' writes DDR5 instead of GDDR5, and completely ignores the GPU side of the equation. I want my click back.

This was my reason to go from a decade of XBox over to Sony but I'm not sure it's the main reason for falling behind its biggest competitor.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
How are you going to exhibit differences in resolution when you don't even provide them in full resolution.

2014-10-30_01-38-46.jpg

2014-10-30_01-39-11.jpg

And no, I don't really agree with their reasoning the blame lies solely on the power differential.
Isn't that Call of Duty Ghosts?

You remember that, when Ghosts first launched on PS4, the campaign only ran at 720p like on Xbox One, right? Some sites made comparisons between the two with people noting that it looked identical. It was entirely due to this fault. Once patched, however, the PS4 version is 1080p across the board.

Trashbat

For me it was the TV TV TV message.

I used my 360 A LOT. Loved Halo, Gears, Fable, etc. Couldn't wait for the big revel and almost cried when it was over. I was sure I'd get an X1 even before it was officially announced, but i really felt they'd abandoned the gamer. Later down the line, when they came out with the 24 hr connection, DRM etc, I knew there was no way back. I wanted a new console in the launch window and in my opinion there was only 1 sensible choice.

Personally I think the real main reason is that Sony worked hard near the end of the last generation to create a positive Playstation vibe. Strong exclusives, artsy games, free games everywhere, cool commercials. Meanwhile, Microsoft didn't give a shit and actively milched their users. Ads, ads, here's more basic functionality behind a paywall, and some additional ads. The conferences just confirmed what everybody was already feeling. Playstation: good. Xbox: bad.

100% on point!

E92 M3

The initial "vision" was what messed the console up. Worst console reveal in a long time. A water cooler launch could have had better publicity than the Xbox One.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Specs are low because they had to keep the cost of the included Kinect in mind. Kinect was included because it was designed to be more than a game box. If MS is in for another gen it's likely they will not repeat that mistake and beef the specs as much as they can. They really care about the resolutiongate. Now imagine if the Xbone was 499 but all of it was spent on internal hardware, they didn't start revealing the console with the TV and sports stuff, never had the DRM debacle. MS wouldn't have the negative buzz, even the more price tag could work to its advantage with the early adopters (we have more FLOPs, all games are 1080p). PS4 would still had the price advantage but I reckon sales would be more equally split.

disagree. The APU is a common approach that both Sony and MS have taken. Both have APUs about as big as you can get without completely screwing yields (I think MS's is actually a little larger than Sony's?)

So the limitations technically stem from the choice to go with DDR3, resulting in the need for embedded ram to help keep the GPU fed, resulting in less space on the APU for the actual GPU.

Kinect was responsible for it being $499 though, which was a factor in it performing less well.

And then the whole DRM-gate followed by every Xbox spokesperson putting their foot in it and digging the hole even deeper.

a triple-whammy that they are still trying to recover from

Arguably the price/DRM are the two biggest factors. The lower performance probably doesn't have the same impact. However, the performance may have affected people when considered in conjunction with the price. $100 more than the PS4 *and* less power is a very bad combination. $100 more and the same power? Hmm maybe thats acceptable to more people, especially with kinect included to add some perceived value.

't was DRM killed the beast.

There's no way around it. The general public doesn't know the console's weaker, they've been scared by all the DRM and always online-talk when the console was first announced. MS basically shot themselves in the foot the day they announced the damn thing, they must've had alarms on at MS HQ for weeks.

People are only really slowly coming 'round, and at this point I'd argue it's too late. A lot of people have PS4's already, so more people will be inclined to buy that because their friends are on the platform already. The best the Xbone can do is hope to catch up.

Jea Song

Did the right thing
To me it was the reveal and E3 that sealed their doom. The rest is a domino effect. At the reveal it was too much talk about T.V. The DRM turned people off, and.turned them off badly. The fact that kinect was mandatory. Then at e3, the lower price of the PlayStation 4 , along with the statement that ps4 would not support DRM sealed the deal.

Later, the resolution talk came. The perception at that time was the ps4 would be cheaper, more powerful, not require a camera, and not have DRM.

More of your friends were buying ps4, thus the domino effect. This is why ps4 will lead the majority of this generation until perhaps the end when xbox will catch up. Much how like it took years for the ps3, to finally catch io to the Xbox 360

prag16

Banned
I think this article hit the key point.

Xbox One was in the trouble when IW announced that Ghost was 1080p on PS4 and 720p on Xbox One. Since the resolution-gate was open last year, Xbox One started to fail in the consumers' mind.

Just imaging you go to mediamarkt to buy a console, and the employee tells you that PS4 games are 1080p and Xbox One games are 900p, what choice will you make even you just have small knowledge of resolution?
I doubt it. Maybe it seems that way in our hard core little bubble here, but this didn't help the GCN or Xbox vanquish the PS2 (yes circumstances were different, but..).

Most people pay very little attention to this stuff from what I've seen.

I feel that is not the main reason. If the situation was reversed, I don't think xbone would be selling more than PS4.

I think it has more to do with MS's poor reveal, and subsequent change of direction. Yes they fixed their mistakes, but it happened too late and consumers don't really care to educate themselves and reconsider which platform to buy. I actually have a theory that most consumers make up their mind very early in the life cycle, even though they may not buy until years later.

Top Bottom