• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ted Nugent and Bill Maher Come Together on ‘No Violence’ in Political Debates Pledge

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Well, now I've heard it all.

Yes, someone who has been clamoring for universal healthcare for years, gay rights/marriage equality, higher taxes for corporations and the wealthiest among us, gun control, stricter environmental regulations, the decriminalization of marijuana and the end of mandatory minimums (which he has said largely and unfairly targets minorities), violence and abuse of power by the police, end of private prisons... Clearly the views of someone on the right.

In the age of thoughtless hot takes and groupthink, I guess I really shouldn't be surprised.

What someone does in the past has no bearing on what they do now. People change, and its not always for the better.

In addition to fighting against those arguing for systemic change and everything you listed there because "the people who want that shit are just whiny millennials" according to him, Maher recently used Terrence Crutcher's dead body to make a hacky political argument about the last election, and thats when a lot of people were done with him.

I was done when he shamed BLM and called them shitty people for holding politicians to account last year, this was in addition to his long standing attacks on islam(as a pretext for continued wartime aggression) and painting religious folks with a broad brush as well as playing patty cake with the alt right when it was convenient for his narrative.

I brought up Sam Harris for a reason. Bill Maher is dangerously close.

What someone does in the past has no bearing on what they do now. People change, and its not always for the better.

In addition to fighting against those arguing for systemic change and everything you listed there because the people who want that shit are just whiny millennials according to him, Maher recently used Terrence Crutcher's dead body to make a hacky political argument about the last election, and thats when a lot of people were done with him.

I was done when he shamed BLM and called them shitty people for holding politicians to account, this was in addition to his long standing attacks on islam(as a pretext for continued wartime aggression) and painting religious folks with a broad brush as well as playing patty cake with the alt right when it was convenient for his narrative.

Not at all like a Republican, tho.

Maxim726X

Sam Harris

I don't agree with that and uhh... I'm talking about Bill Maher?

And is any of what I said about his views untrue? If they're not, could someone explain to me (cogently), how he's basically a Republican as many have claimed?

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. I'm standing up for someone that I'm not really all that fond of because what I'm reading here is pure, unadulterated bullshit.

And is any of what I said about his views untrue? If they're not, could someone explain to me (cogently), how he's basically a Republican as many have claimed?

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. I'm standing up for someone that I'm not really all that fond of because what I'm reading here is pure, unadulterated bullshit.

"more in common with the right than with me" is not "basically a Republican." If you can't get past that then there's no point.

Slayven

Bill Maher
"I thought when we elected the first black president, as a comedian, I thought that two years in that I'd be making jokes what a 'gangsta' he was. You know. And not that he's President Wayne Brady, you know, I thought we were getting Suge Knight," Bill Maher said on CNN.

Inuhanyou

"more in common with the right than with me" is not "basically a Republican." If you can't get past that then there's no point.

This. People don't have to misinterpret what is being said to win an argument.

Of course people like Bill Maher are better than the GOP(although sam harris i would argue...mr "black people are genetically predisposed to be inferior"), but in trying to be an asshole rich white privileged hollywood comedian, he comes off very horribly and much closer to that lot than anywhere else.

People like Sam Harris and Sargon of Akkad are not to be taken seriously in any measure.

I'm not white, so having to have this conversation in the first place is very frustrating to me.

This. People don't have to misinterpret what is being said to win an argument.

Of course people like Bill Maher are better than the GOP(although sam harris i would argue...mr "black people are genetically predisposed to be inferior"), but in trying to be an asshole rich white privileged hollywood comedian, he comes off very horribly and much closer to that lot than anywhere else.

People like Sam Harris and Sargon of Akkad are not to be taken seriously in any measure.
What about my Skull shape and iq studies? Let me get out my calipers and show you

Ekai

Today I learned:
It's bullshit to not want to stand by Maher when he's shown as of recently (and in the past) that he:
1) Wants to bolster up right-wing extremists
2) Says incredibly racist things
3) Says incredibly Islamophobic things (and not in the way of criticizing religion itself as he has done in the past but quite literally buying into that Radical Islamic Terror talking point of the right)
4) Says that it's not unreasonable to say that people like me are sexual deviants who prey on women and children and commit the majority of sex crimes when one is a bs right-wing talking point and the other the outright opposite of the truth- trans people are often the victims of sexual crimes. Dude is not an ally of the T, I don't give a fuck if he claims he supports same-sex marriage.

Maher isn't some Saint and he clearly has ulterior motives to this since he's literally worked to bolster right-wing extremists before and happily admits to it.

Man I truly don't understand the fanatical obsession people have with Maher. Some random Joe on the street pulls half the shit he has and he wouldn't have anyone in his corner

Inuhanyou

Man I truly don't understand the fanatical obsession people have with Maher. Some random Joe on the street pulls half the shit he has and he wouldn't have anyone in his corner

3 words

televised comedian personalities

Mahonay

Banned
He's witty and funny. People overlook glaring issues with him because he is entertaining. Hell, so did I before a year or two ago.

But yeah, just one look at the collection of inexcusable shit being posted in here should be enough proof that Maher at the very least doesn't give a fuck about anyone but himself, and doesn't actually care about some pretty big issues.
3 words

televised comedian personalities
Yes. This.

Chumley

Banned

I think someone can be flawed and have bad opinions about some things while still largely being a good person. I don't think responding to ignorance or selfishness with complete dismissal and anger accomplishes anything, and I've met enough real enemies of the progressive movement to know there's a huge gaping chasm between them and the kind of guy Bill Maher is on his show. I watch him every week and I just don't get the sense in any way that he's this god awful monster some people here make him out to be. I just think he's old, selfish, flippant about sensitive subjects like trans and LGBT, and smug. But that's still a very far bridge from a fake liberal or secret Republican.

If you think my voice is worthless, please do not pretend to speak for me.
It's not blowing me away so far, but I wasn't saying it's worthless. But, I would say your actions are worth more. The "we" I was referring to was the left. If you are not leftist, progressive, or liberal, then sorry to have presumed that you don't want Republicans to win elections.

Bill Maher: The overly politically-correct branch of the left refuses to call radical Islam what it is, saying what needs to be said and doing what needs to be done, letting it grow in influence and ruin the lives of people around the world, particularly women and minorities.

Also Bill Maher: I'm proud of propping up the careers of people like Ann Coulter and Kellyanne Conway, letting them grow in influence and giving them more power to make minorities lives shit.

Hmm... Radical Muslims want to treat women and the gays like shit and that's bad and we absolutely shouldn't prop them up or hear them out in even the slightest of ways to make sure they have as little influence as possible, but someone who's constantly thinking about how much he wishes all those niggers could just fuck off back to Africa or "eh, pedophilia's not so bad. What's the worst that could happen? on the other hand? In fact, those sound like views worth propping up and giving more influence and spread, despite my disagreements with them. I mean, to be perfectly clear, I definitely don't agree with it at all (and to be clear, I don't think Maher agrees with such stances, but yet...), but despite my disagreements the best way of dealing with that is too... help them spread their views further and give them more influence?"

Maybe... just maybe... It ain't minority rights that Bill Maher gives a fuck about. Anyone who actually did give a fuck would not simultaneously be decrying Radical Islam for being a threat to minority rights and the politically-correct left for not doing enough to stop its spread, but not just constantly have people like Coulter/Conway/Milo on, but also be proud of propping up their careers and giving them more influence to spread their hate.

Can't have it both ways like that. If you truly gave a fuck about that stuff, you can't be proud about propping up the careers of people like Coulter and Conway so they can be a threat to minorities and have more influence to argue for the restriction of their rights/well-being here at home.

Fuck Bill Maher and his disingenuous bullshit. But I suppose I'm just part of some type of toxic hivemind tribal mentality mob for thinking that according to certain people in here (since obviously it's totally impossible to hate him unless you're part of a hivemind--can't come to that independently. And to be clear on that point, I refuse to return the favor, because I realize that's nonsense. I'm able to recognize that both those who like him and those that don't almost certainly all came to those conclusions on their own and neither are engaged in any type of hivemind thinking. Of course, speaking frankly, I don't hold such positive assessments of Maher in particularly high regard because of Maher not only not caring but being proud of giving people like Conway and Coulter more influence despite how dangerous that influence is and having a generally positive assessment of the man despite such actions is off-putting to me to put it mildly, but I recognize they nonetheless came to those assessments on their own. Would be nice to see certain posters actually return the favor and assume the best of people such as myself in these discussions and stop assuming the worst of us just because of our differing positions...), and the discrepancies in this rhetoric when discussing radical Islam and when discussing the type of people he's proud of popping up will vanish, just like that.

Sorry for getting into this little rant at the end here, but it just ticks me off to see people get all upset that Maher's being unfairly attacked, but not be self-conscious enough to realize that they're doing the same exact stuff they're apparently so upset about when they lump anyone who dares to criticize Maher into some tribal mentality hivemind. It's just a completely disingenuous way to dismiss valid concerns and grievances people have with Maher and also dismissing the hard work a lot of those same individuals put into their arguments and posts and in no way helps the discussion. I wish I didn't need to say this and tack this onto the end of this post, but that stuff unfortunately comes up every Maher thread and it ticks me the hell off because it's just a shitty way of dismissing legitimate grievances and acting as if they're fake or aren't argued in good faith or aren't genuine feelings, based on nothing. Be better.

Armaros

It's not blowing me away so far, but I wasn't saying it's worthless. But, I would say your actions are worth more. The "we" I was referring to was the left. If you are not leftist, progressive, or liberal, then sorry to have presumed that you don't want Republicans to win elections.

With what you believe, why are you still in political threads in the OT then?

Going to chuckle when Nugent busts on Maher's face and he thanks him for it, while his stans shrug their shoulders and admonish minorities for daring to stand up for themselves.

It's not blowing me away so far, but I wasn't saying it's worthless.

Your method of comparison is directly intended to cut down the worth of people who post their thoughts online to near-nothingness. Are we who can but post online are worth nothing to you because don't have disposable income to fund political parties like millionaires do?

Are our voices not important because we do not have the money to back them?

Are you saying we should just shut up? Because that's what it comes across like. By putting forth this avenue of thinking, you are suggesting that if we are unable to directly finance a campaign our voices have no worth. Some of us just don't have the financial ability to do these types of things.

Also, believe me, I am very much on the side of the left. But I don't think someone disingenuously donating a million dollars as a shield from personal criticism is more valuable than our core base, who actually believe in and practice our values. And I think our core base would be very insulted if they knew people who felt that way.

And it is important to have a dominating voice in culture. You seriously underestimate the value of having a hold on the public zeitgeist. The Republicans WON by manipulating the crowd against Hillary. It didn't matter that they were lying. It mattered because they raised their fucking obnoxious voices as loud as they could. I wouldn't deride our "keyboard warriors". Because that way lies madness, and defeat.

If your point was "raising money is good", then we agree. The problem with your sentiment is everything beyond that. The value comparison between the capabilities of the rich and the capabilities of the poor especially. Donations made in bad faith with agendas behind them should be flat out rejected on a moral basis.

Going to chuckle when Nugent busts on Maher's face and he thanks him for it, while his stans shrug their shoulders and admonish minorities for daring to stand up for themselves.
They're looking at the big picture, which involves inviting this shitbird on his program to help heal these divisions within our modern political discourse. Bill Maher, doing the lord's work yet again.

fantomena

I agree.

The more I learn of Maher, the more I find he has more in common with right wing gutter trash than he does with me.

Whoops. I better reign it in. Wouldn't want to be accused of tribalism.

Gutter trash is right wing? What? He is a liberal, voted for the Canadian liberal party and worships Trudeau.

I think someone can be flawed and have bad opinions about some things while still largely being a good person. I don't think responding to ignorance or selfishness with complete dismissal and anger accomplishes anything, and I've met enough real enemies of the progressive movement to know there's a huge gaping chasm between them and the kind of guy Bill Maher is on his show. I watch him every week and I just don't get the sense in any way that he's this god awful monster some people here make him out to be. I just think he's old, selfish, flippant about sensitive subjects like trans and LGBT, and smug. But that's still a very far bridge from a fake liberal or secret Republican.

Why accuse him of being a fake liberal or secret republican when you can point out his own quotes denying germ theory or pushing HIV/AIDS conspiracies.

On second thought, maybe he's better off sticking with fake liberal.

Breads

Banned
Look at this shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh7ZiddrkmI

Show me all of the anti gop terrorism. Show me all the Nazis getting got.

Fuck all of y'all who are bringing this shit calculated shit to the table.

It's your people who are killing minorities and liberals on the reg and it is people like you, Ted Nugent, that have been making a call to arms against us for almost a decade.

All Bill Maher does is give dangerous racists and bigots a platform for their views, the exact people that encourage and legitimize violence against minorities, Milos, Ann Coulter, and the fucking editor of Brietbart. Certainly Bill Maher and friends are a huge huge influence on all the rightwing white terrorists popping up.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
At this point I'm not sure what Maher is but to call him a straight up liberal as far as American's know the affiliation seems off. Not saying he's a right wing nutjob at this point either but the dudes views are so all over the place I'm not even sure he know's where he sits at this point.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Ted Nugents not even being amicable on agreeing anything he said "implied violence" -- only idiots thought that apparently.

If gen needs to justify it to himself to reduce his rhetoric, I guess whatever, but I can't see it lasting too long cause something will trigger him again

At this point I'm not sure what Maher is but to call him a straight up liberal as far as American's know the affiliation seems off. Not saying he's a right wing nutjob at this point either but the dudes views are so all over the place I'm not even sure he know's where he sits at this point.

He is basically just a social liberal. He may have some libertarian streaks as well, but I think that's already baked into the definition of social liberal from what I remember

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Ted Nugents not even being amicable on agreeing anything he said "implied violence" -- only idiots thought that apparently.

If gen needs to justify it to himself to reduce his rhetoric, I guess whatever, but I can't see it lasting too long cause something will trigger him again

Shit wait till Obama makes a statement about Trump or something along those lines and you know Nugent will be blowing his god damned lid in no time flat.

Ekai

yep. consider that the starting point.

Also, the baseball shooter seems to have more in common with the right-wing than the left according to this video from a guy Hbomb told me about. Dude expressed a lot of Pro-Trump views and shared lots of hate filled messages from right-wing FB groups.

Bossking

Banned
Look, why can't the left just embrace Bill Maher as one of them? The right openly embraces every racist, misogynist, hateful piece of shit completely unchallenged! So much for the tolerant left.

Fuck Bill Maher.

Your method of comparison is directly intended to cut down the worth of people who post their thoughts online to near-nothingness. Are we who can but post online are worth nothing to you because don't have disposable income to fund political parties like millionaires do?

Are our voices not important because we do not have the money to back them?

Are you saying we should just shut up? Because that's what it comes across like. By putting forth this avenue of thinking, you are suggesting that if we are unable to directly finance a campaign our voices have no worth. Some of us just don't have the financial ability to do these types of things.

Also, believe me, I am very much on the side of the left. But I don't think someone disingenuously donating a million dollars as a shield from personal criticism is more valuable than our core base, who actually believe in and practice our values. And I think our core base would be very insulted if they knew people who felt that way.

And it is important to have a dominating voice in culture. You seriously underestimate the value of having a hold on the public zeitgeist. The Republicans WON by manipulating the crowd against Hillary. It didn't matter that they were lying. It mattered because they raised their fucking obnoxious voices as loud as they could. I wouldn't deride our "keyboard warriors". Because that way lies madness, and defeat.

If your point was "raising money is good", then we agree. The problem with your sentiment is everything beyond that. The value comparison between the capabilities of the rich and the capabilities of the poor especially. Donations made in bad faith with agendas behind them should be flat out rejected on a moral basis.
So, several things.

- While I appreciate that you put a lot of thought into this, I really think you're kinda running with the football a bit.
- Bill Maher didn't make a donation "in bad faith," or "as a sheild," he genuinely wanted Obama to win. He fails as an ally constantly, and doesn't deserve to be called one, but in his eyes he is a "liberal." Given the existence of groups like TERFs and partisan Democrats who justify things like Clinton's crime bill, there are plenty of people like him on the so-called left, and I believe they all think of themselves as "liberals" too.
- Donating is not just for rich people
- Volunteering is definitely not just for rich people
- I've already said that raising awareness of issues online is important, but I'd like to see a lot more donating and volunteering than online posting from people who seem to have the time and passion in their hearts. That isn't saying "shut up," as I also have already said.

So, several things.

- While I appreciate that you put a lot of thought into this, I really think you're kinda running with the football a bit.
- Bill Maher didn't make a donation "in bad faith," or "as a sheild," he genuinely wanted Obama to win. He fails as an ally constantly, and doesn't deserve to be called one, but in his eyes he is a "liberal." Given the existence of groups like TERFs and partisan Democrats who justify things like Clinton's crime bill, there are plenty of people like him on the so-called left, and I believe they all think of themselves as "liberals" too.

But I was speaking in general here. Your political theory was that money is important no matter what the person giving it actually believes, be they Maher or whomever. You were placing value on the money and not the ideas.
- Donating is not just for rich people
Donating is for people with disposable income, which not as many people have as you'd like to think. To some, having disposable income to be able to donate meaningfully IS the same as being rich.
- Volunteering is definitely not just for rich people
It's also not as simple as you're making it out to be.
- I've already said that raising awareness of issues online is important, but I'd like to see a lot more donating and volunteering than online posting from people who seem to have the time and passion in their hearts. That isn't saying "shut up," as I also have already said.

How do you know that the people who post online are not also rallying in the physical space? Seems like a massive assumption on your part. Also, given how integrated and hypervisible you can be on the internet these days, there's a lot that IS accomplishable online.

It's not an either or situation and you definitely should stop treating it like one. By taking the avenue of lambasting those whose deeds you know not, you are suggesting they should be doing something different, and how exactly is a person supposed to take that? It matters not what your intent behind saying this is, if indeed your intent isn't telling people to shut up. That's just how a message like this can come across. It's a very short-sighted way of expressing your desire that doesn't consider the people on the other end who are actually reading it.

Also, I believe this is important to say at this point, but I'm not an American, so all I can really do is post online about these things. I have a lot of friends who are, though. This is an incredibly self centered way of looking at things also, coming with a loaded assumption that anyone expressing an opinion about the political situation of the US is actually from there and therefore directly involved in the process. Though you'd be forgiven for that; the US tends to think the internet is mostly about themselves anyway. :p

The short version is; it's bad to make assumptions about people who are left-leaning and expressing opinions online, what they are and are not doing, their capabilities henceforth, and where they may or may not live. When you see people reacting online, the rest of the world is cringing too. Don't blame them for not voting or donating; they can't!

(rambling snipped)
When you see people reacting online, the rest of the world is cringing too. Don't blame them for not voting or donating; they can't!
I really have nothing to say to any of this and I don't think you actually have a point here. This really seems like you wanted to interject some contrarian idea to every line of my post because you think we're in some kind of argument. You don't have an overarching point and the last sentence of your post that tries to tie it all together isn't true. Please stop replying to me.

entremet

Nugent is one of the worse people for this. Dude has been extremely antagonistic toward Democrats and liberals in his garbage spiel for decades. There are better voices in the GOP, too bad they've been marginalized.

Mahonay

Banned
Nugent is one of the worse people for this. Dude has been extremely antagonistic toward Democrats and liberals in his garbage spiel for decades. There are better voices in the GOP, too bad they've been marginalized.
He also has a long history of attacking black people. It's not just "I hate liberals". It's also "I hate non-whites'.

Top Bottom