• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bill Maher on bringing Milo back, Le Penn, Vaccinations, Islam.....

By talking out of his ass. He has zero data to back it up, he just says it and becomes his usual, cavalier arrogant as fuck self and claims he knows best. This is the person who claimed 1.6 billion (with a b) people were wrong for their beliefs.

I disliked Mather for a long time but found myself at least agreeing on a few points with him, but after reading the shit he came out with, especially Lee pen. Fuck all of that, I'm off the train.

typo?

anyways, through the thread there have been some sources showing the majority of the Muslim world does support sharia law - but the law varies from country to country and not all Muslims support all parts of it.

Sapiens

Well he's not completely anti-science due to his views on climate change. And he also supports BLM last time I checked. And he also really like Obama, even gave him a small donation of 1 mill. And he also supports gun control. And he is pro-choice.

And he got sued by Trump for wanting him to prove Trump isn't the son of an orangutang.

Bill_Maher_1_embed.jpg

Yeah, but other than that, they are very much alike.

He DID NOT GIVE Hilary 1 mil though. If he had, well, you know, this is all Maher's fault.

I keep refreshing HBO's schedule page but Real Time is still listed for Friday. WTF HBO?

Joe T.

I keep refreshing HBO's schedule page but Real Time is still listed for Friday. WTF HBO?

Ice Cube is supposed to be one of his guests this week. He was originally scheduled to talk about the 25th anniversary of Death Certificate, but looks like he'll now be spending some time talking about what happened last week on Maher's show. Cynical me thinks this was planned, an attempt to bring race back into the spotlight just before the scheduled appearance of black guests so he can make himself look like the good guy seeking out civil discourse. It likely didn't work out quite as he envisioned it. Doubt it will give him the ratings bump he probably wanted either.

Gattsu25

Banned
Has this been posted yet:
Bill Maher in 2001, hosting a discussion with with one Black person, an Asian and three Whites about the word "nigger" and how Black people ought to feel about non-Blacks using the term.
Politically Incorrect - "Racist" jokes - David Spade Sarah Silverman Bill Maher
He starts off by,
1. questioning a Black woman's Blackness. ("I wouldnt have known you were Black if you hadnt told me")

2. Claims all Black people use the word "nigga" so he should be able to say it too. Then goes on to say it repeatedly in his Black guest's face because, he argues, since all Blacks use the term, we shouldnt be offended by him saying it.

Yeah, this is what I remember him for.

This is why I've never understood why progressives championed him.

People should stop quoting that Pew poll; there are so many things wrong with it, that it's ridiculous it keeps getting bought up.

And if you want to educate yourself about Sharia Law (rather than just equate it to the Hudud punishments which is like 5%), I recommend to read this post.

I don't really see an issue with him hating religion, because Islam and Christianity have been nothing but historically awful tools to oppress minorities. I struggle to rack up sympathy for people who follow and practice religions that have core beliefs saying I shouldn't have the same rights as them.

Yes, religion has only be used for that /s 🙄🙄🙄

My god, I don't even know where to begin. The ignorance of that comment is astounding.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Idiots like this will bring back diseases we no longer have a natural barrier against. There will be epidemics, tens of thousands of children WILL die.

This is a clear display that both sides have crazies and extremist.

VariantX

Maher in that profike says he is proud his show "launched" Kellyanne Conway and Ann Coulter's careers...

It's clear Milo is his next project. He actively wants to help him succeed as a "media" personality.

That's the uselessness to progress I was talking about

Wow, fuck this guy.

Arkeband

Banned
He DID NOT GIVE Hilary 1 mil though. If he had, well, you know, this is all Maher's fault.

You're completely out of your mind if you think his show is getting cancelled. HBO might squeeze him a little harder on a renewal deal, but he'd have to ramp up his stupidity exponentially (and lose a metric assload of viewership) to get cancelled on HBO.

He's 100% wrong. Not all speech deserves a platform and some speech DOES need to have laws against it, especially the shit Milo says AND does.

I could only buy into this if you make equal laws for consuming said speech and ideologies as for producing them.

Even then though, where to draw the boundary of what kind of content is covered by such laws would probably be a contentious point.

Milo, for example, doesn't actively advocate violence against anyone, whereas religious extremists do. I'm not sure where exactly to draw the line.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I could only buy into this if you make equal laws for consuming said speech and ideologies as for producing them.

Even then though, where to draw the boundary of what kind of content is covered by such laws would probably be a contentious point.

Milo, for example, doesn't actively advocate violence against anyone, whereas religious extremists do. I'm not sure where exactly to draw the line.
Yes he does, he has actively doxxed and sent his band of cronies to harass specific individuals and has even advocated for ethnic cleansing. A good baseline would be everything Milo stands for. ENOUGH with this "where do we draw the line" crap whenever it comes to discussing insanely toxic individuals like Richard Spencer and Milo.

Crossing Eden

Not doubting you, but link or source?

Edit: Also Richard Spencer is a clear case for me, but he's worse than Milo IMO
Refer to page 6. To reiterate. ENOUGH with this "where do we draw the line" crap whenever it comes to discussing insanely toxic individuals like Richard Spencer and Milo. Milo is just as bad if not worse than Richard Spencer. In fact, even Richard Spencer draws the line at Milo.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Bill Maher in 2001, hosting a discussion with with one Black person, an Asian and three Whites about the word "nigger" and how Black people ought to feel about non-Blacks using the term.
He starts off by,
1. questioning a Black woman's Blackness. ("I wouldnt have known you were Black if you hadnt told me")

2. Claims all Black people use the word "nigga" so he should be able to say it too. Then goes on to say it repeatedly in his Black guest's face because, he argues, since all Blacks use the term, we shouldnt be offended by him saying it.

HOLY CRAP!!!! I had no idea Maher was this open to racist speech. Game changer for me considering that I watch his show alot.

Refer to page 6. To reiterate. ENOUGH with this "where do we draw the line" crap whenever it comes to discussing insanely toxic individuals like Richard Spencer and Milo. Milo is just as bad if not worse than Richard Spencer. In fact, even Richard Spencer draws the line at Milo.

Just looked at page 6. I think I'm with you on about 80% of it.

Slayven

He starts off by,

Mahr has a long history of questioning folks blackness. Considering his gauge for blackness is Suge Knight.....

What's the other 20%?

The other 20% was stuff that is still pretty vile, just not vile enough that I think it shouldn't be covered under the 1st Amendment. Like if he wants to say that women don't work as hard, or the stuff you categorized under "Homophobe", or to make fun of people. I mean it's gross and infantile, but I'm not sure it's worth the slippery slope of reducing our civil liberties over. Doxxing people, suggesting women should be in camps, joking about the holocaust, that stuff I'm more on board with limiting.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Never liked Bill Maher because of his pseudoscience horseshit. But lately it's gotten worse. Every time I hear about Bill Maher recently it's about him doing or saying something super shitty. Man, fuck that guy so bad.

Do you have any examples of these nations?
Canada, UK, most of the EU?
Germany is the biggest example. They don't allow Nazi shit at all.
Yep. Though that's a bit annoying, they censor stuff like Wolfenstein. That goes too far IMO, but it's just an annoyance, not a police state dystopia kind of thing.

Crossing Eden

The other 20% was stuff that is still pretty vile, just not vile enough that I think it shouldn't be covered under the 1st Amendment. Like if he wants to say that women don't work as hard, or the stuff you categorized under "Homophobe", or to make fun of people. I mean it's gross and infantile, but I'm not sure it's worth the slippery slope of reducing our civil liberties over. Doxxing people, suggesting women should be in camps, joking about the holocaust, that stuff I'm more on board with limiting.
What benefit does society have with that stuff not being covered under the law like in other places?

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.

They already said his show is set to air Friday and Maher will addresses what has been said.

Ekai

Ummm, lolwhut.

The dude actively threatens people and encourages his followers to attack others all the time. Hell. he literally used a university speech to out and attack a trans student there for a long period of time. Why would you even defend this pos when it's so damn well known how vile he is?

Ummm, lolwhut.

The dude actively threatens people and encourages his followers to attack others all the time. Hell. he literally used a university speech to out and attack a trans student there for a long period of time. Why would you even defend this pos when it's so damn well known how vile he is?

The poster linked me to some examples on a previous page and I agreed that that type of stuff should not be allowed.

I don't really see an issue with him hating religion, because Islam and Christianity have been nothing but historically awful tools to oppress minorities. I struggle to rack up sympathy for people who follow and practice religions that have core beliefs saying I shouldn't have the same rights as them.
Well, it's kind of a side debate but don't you think religion also brings a lot of community, charity, and comfort to people's lives? Bad beliefs track more strongly with geography than religion, which typically espouses the orthodoxy of the local culture. I'm an agnostic atheist myself but I often wish I had that community in my life, and comfort in the belief I wasn't entering a dark void when I die, and a regular avenue to commit to local charitable causes.

Slayven

Milo got banned from twitter for editing tweets to get his turds to attack leslie jones

TviT4YM.png

Oh boy, looks like Maher fell through the purity test. Principal PC is not amused.

If you want to believe that that's the issue, you're free to. Reality is though that sometimes not everything is a purity test. Sometimes people who seem alright have some backward, fucked up and dangerous ideals that they spread and do damage with. This would be fine if those same people acknowledged their faults and tried to change unlike Maher who either doubles down, says nothing, or let's his hangers-on act like he's being persecuted for not being politically correct enough.

Maher is a fucking asshole. Yes he's done progressive things, but in the face of choosing to continue to be a douchebag, I can find and support other progressive people with or without platforms who are at the very least self aware enough not to become a liberal extremist caricature.

Nepenthe

Oh boy, looks like Maher fell through the purity test. Principal PC is not amused.

He...he questions vaccines.

At what point can we say "Hey, maybe Maher's got reasonable ideological conflicts with progressives and we should criticize them?" Or is the whole point of the "purity test" charge at this point in its lifespan to ultimately let everyone into the fold who just happens to hate Republicans regardless of whatever else they stand for?

Slayven

If you want to believe that that's the issue, you're free to. Reality is though that sometimes not everything is a purity test. Sometimes people who seem alright have some backward, fucked up and dangerous ideals that they spread and do damage with. This would be fine if those same people acknowledged their faults and tried to change unlike Maher who either doubles down, says nothing, or let's his hangers-on act like he's being persecuted for not being politically correct enough.

Maher is a fucking asshole. Yes he's done progressive things, but in the face of choosing to continue to be a douchebag, I can find and support other people with or without platforms who are at the very least self aware enough not to become a liberal extremist caricature.

He...he questions vaccines.

At what point can we say "Hey, maybe Maher's got reasonable ideological conflicts with progressives and we should criticize them?" Or is the whole point of the "purity test" charge at this point in its lifespan to ultimately let everyone into the fold who just happens to hate Republicans regardless of whatever else they stand for?
Look at his post record, just trying to save you some time
Yep. Creating fake tweets in order to direct his thousands of followers to harass people was his downfall from twitter.

People always forget that, wonder why....

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

Nonsense. Some shit are just dealbreakers. This isn't a politician who voted on a sketchy bill once 15 years ago or who took money when they shouldn't have. No fucking mercy for anti-vaxxers, they are dangerous scumbags.

Crossing Eden

Letting the government define what "hate speech" is when people like this can be in office? http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387117

Think things through man. That's a power nobody should be able to wield.
The stuff Milo and all his ilk do are extremely definable as hate speech.

First of all, stop getting your views on life from south park. Second of all, read the OP.

Mael

It's hilarious to see people claiming that we shouldn't "purity test" Maher when the guy is at the forefront of any kind of purity test when it suits him.

L Thammy

Letting the government define what "hate speech" is when people like this can be in office? http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387117

Think things through man. That's a power nobody should be able to wield.

I'm going to ask this again. Why is that the US can't do this while so many other countries can? What is the unique dysfunction of the US that your government cannot add something like "Every one who, by communicating statements in any public place, incites hatred against any identifiable group (any section of the public distinguished by colour, race, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, or mental or physical disability) where such incitement is likely to lead to a breach of the peace is guilty an indictable offence" without leading to abuse? How is the US special?

I'm starting to that that Maher's most adamant defenders are the type of people who don't really care whether or not anyone else is harmed, but live in constant terror of morality. They see someone like Maher, who relishes in political incorrectness, receive scrutiny and are horrified to think that someday someone may call them them too on the things they do and say.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Dude is supporting anti vaxxers. He didn't fail a purity test, he shat on the floor in front of everyone and then called it chocolate pudding. Nah no thanks.

MarionCB

Yeah, along with everything else which is unforgivable, trying to bring Milo back burns Maher for me for all time. Fuck him, I never want to him from either of them ever again.

Top Bottom