• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014) | OT | Hey Dude, This Is NO Cartoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanjuro

Regardless of how fictional or ridiculous the origins are, the fact is that there are established origins that had no need to be rewritten. You can't blame fans for not being happy about that, especially when it was all detailed for decades.

The origin was never cemented outside of what I mentioned.

Regardless of how fictional or ridiculous the origins are, the fact is that there are established origins that had no need to be rewritten. You can't blame fans for not being happy about that, especially when it was all detailed for decades.

Eh. Origins change. Sometimes the Joker killed Batman's parents. Sometimes Brainiac caused Krypton to explode. Sometimes Iron Man was being held during the Vietnam War.

The details of the Turtle's origins were never that integral to their characters anyway. In the cartoon, Splinter was a human that turned in to a rat man. In the movies, he was a rat that turned in to a rat man. In the end he was a rat man that taught ninjutsu. You can not like the new version of the origin over the old one, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't or couldn't be deviated from.

Going back to the original comic series...

What's interesting is that the ooze that falls on the turtles was actually alien in nature and created by the Utroms (the alien race that Krang's design was based off from the 87 cartoon). So it's funny how people aren't really aware of the FULL origin story and call foul when something seems a little off though there is a lot to the origin.

So to recap:

What happened: The 4 household pet turtles are involved in a freak accident which makes them not only fall from their owners hands but also get covered in a mysterious ooze when they end up in the sewer.

More backstory: The ooze was actually created by the Utrom, an alien race that look like brains with faces who control robots, who have been on earth since the 60's.

Food for thought: During the fight with The Shredder in the first issue of TMNT, Shredder beckons Leonardo and calls him "Kappa". Kappa is the word for river-child in Japanese, and here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kappa_(folklore).)

So all in all, the well-known origin story that everyone knows happened (the turtles getting oozed after falling into the sewer), the alien thing has some merit due to the origins of the ooze, and the Japanese folklore story also plays a part since Shredder is Japanese and would have been familiar with the folk story about the Kappa.

I don't mind deviations from the original origins, there has been enough of them and I've enjoyed them well enough, so I can accept change there. It's the turtles looking like armored hulks that has me worried.

Sanjuro

I don't mind deviations from the original origins, there has been enough of them and I've enjoyed them well enough, so I can accept change there. It's the turtles looking like armored hulks that has me worried.

Their size is probably the best thing in the film when applied to the action segments.

MisterHero

Utroms were supposed to appear in TMNT II. The Professor would've been one.

Take that for what it's worth (slightly more than nothing!).

Their size is probably the best thing in the film when applied to the action segments.

Pretty much. Also, the only one who's a really big fucker is Raph. The rest vary in size. It's just a little thing to help tell them apart.

Neoxon

Especially since if Guardians lands like I think it will, this will get caught in the crossfire. Bit of a shame, really.

Also Sanj, I can't remember the song Mikey is singing at the end, my bad. Actually, no, it's his bad, his singing sucks
Actually, good chunk of the movie & comic book community believe the opposite, that TMNT will screw over GotG.

Neoxon

Here's the thing, had both movies opened together, GotG would have kicked TMNT's ass without mercy. However, GotG has the handicap of it being its second week when TMNT drops. Even with TMNT tracking pretty low at the moment, it could still win out if GotG's second week drop is significant enough. Good word of mouth on GotG's part will limit the drop, but will the likely decreased drop be enough?

Just want to thank you fellows for the impressions. They have kept me sane as I anticipate the hell out of this movie. I wish I could play a game with these skins in them. That mobile game doesn't count.

jadedm17

I've been talking to some TMNT fans about the film. Many are a bit delusional and are trying to believe there is only a particular way to create the origin.

Basically, you need to head into this film knowing you are going to be told a story about four mutated turtles and their surrogate rat father. Outside that, of course there are going to be liberties taken.

That first part is sad to hear because there are great reboots of the origin story : The IDW comics are a great example.
I enjoyed that April named them in their version.

Honestly I'm getting more excited for this film with each awesome trailer; Turtle designs and reveal trailer aside it looks great.

Rootbeer

Banned
Just saw that TV spot 20 posted on youtube... I'm on blackout but they are trying their damnest to entice people into seeing the film. I feel like they've shown way too much footage considering the runtime of the film.

Christopher

Here's the thing, had both movies opened together, GotG would have kicked TMNT's ass without mercy. However, GotG has the handicap of it being its second week when TMNT drops. Even with TMNT tracking pretty low at the moment, it could still win out if GotG's second week drop is significant enough. Good word of mouth on GotG's part will limit the drop, but will the likely decreased drop be enough?

I'm not even processing how anyone cares about this nonsense...

SRG01

I've been talking to some TMNT fans about the film. Many are a bit delusional and are trying to believe there is only a particular way to create the origin.

Basically, you need to head into this film knowing you are going to be told a story about four mutated turtles and their surrogate rat father. Outside that, of course there are going to be liberties taken.

The problem is that many turtles 'fans' are only familiar with the 80s cartoon and nothing else. :(

The problem is that many turtles 'fans' are only familiar with the 80s cartoon and nothing else. :(
These same 'fans' have shitted up every "Bayturtles" thread in the last year. They all wanted round snouted, nostril-less cute turtles and mocked the "edgy-ness" portrayed in the initial designs and teasers (despite ending the teaser with a funny quip from Mikey). But the original turtles WERE "edgy" and this film is actually light-hearted to a degree. I haven't seen it yet, but aesthetically, they seem to have taken the best of both worlds.

[Edit: I say the above as only ever having been a fan of the original series and movies and then abandoned the franchise until the Leonardo pic leak]

I've learned to hate the original cartoons because of these new designs and the new series. I'm torn between which I like more. I think I'll need highly detailed movie figures to go next to my Revoltech Nick Turtles (coming soon) to decide!

phileep

Just saw that TV spot 20 posted on youtube... I'm on blackout but they are trying their damnest to entice people into seeing the film. I feel like they've shown way too much footage considering the runtime of the film.

Yeah they have shown entirely too much with this movie. You've seen clips from nearly every single action sequence if you've seen a few of the trailers. Its also another movie where it's possible you have also seen not only the last bit from the movie, but the super quick scene right before the credits start to roll. All of this stuff is in the trailers. Trailers are just the worst anymore. :(

edit: Also, the Turtles in this movie are not edgy at all despite looking it. They're all giant goofballs that fall right in line with the Turtles most people are used to.

edit: Also, the Turtles in this movie are not edgy at all despite looking it. They're all giant goofballs that fall right in line with the Turtles most people are used to.

Exactly. In terms of actually acting their age, the Turtles definitely do here, to varying degrees.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Yes to the first, no to the second.

The Turtles weren't aliens.

None of those origins are even in this movie.

they were created in a lab but not as weapons. They were test subjects and the mutation was a side effect.

Not gonna read the spoiler, but the first story trailer said that they were bred to be military weapons.

Eh. Origins change. Sometimes the Joker killed Batman's parents. Sometimes Brainiac caused Krypton to explode. Sometimes Iron Man was being held during the Vietnam War.

The details of the Turtle's origins were never that integral to their characters anyway. In the cartoon, Splinter was a human that turned in to a rat man. In the movies, he was a rat that turned in to a rat man. In the end he was a rat man that taught ninjutsu. You can not like the new version of the origin over the old one, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't or couldn't be deviated from.

I guess I'm just one of those fans that doesn't like when a script has to mess with an origin that's already established - I want to still watch the movie, but I find that totally unnecessary. The movie's story itself I don't mind, but don't mess with the origins.

Going back to the original comic series...

What's interesting is that the ooze that falls on the turtles was actually alien in nature and created by the Utroms (the alien race that Krang's design was based off from the 87 cartoon). So it's funny how people aren't really aware of the FULL origin story and call foul when something seems a little off though there is a lot to the origin.

So to recap:

What happened: The 4 household pet turtles are involved in a freak accident which makes them not only fall from their owners hands but also get covered in a mysterious ooze when they end up in the sewer.

More backstory: The ooze was actually created by the Utrom, an alien race that look like brains with faces who control robots, who have been on earth since the 60's.

Food for thought: During the fight with The Shredder in the first issue of TMNT, Shredder beckons Leonardo and calls him "Kappa". Kappa is the word for river-child in Japanese, and here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kappa_(folklore).)

So all in all, the well-known origin story that everyone knows happened (the turtles getting oozed after falling into the sewer), the alien thing has some merit due to the origins of the ooze, and the Japanese folklore story also plays a part since Shredder is Japanese and would have been familiar with the folk story about the Kappa.

The original script idea was that the Turtles themselves were from another planet, and came to Earth - not mutants or anything like that. So it's nothing like the ooze being alien in nature.

But Michael Bay humor! Or edginess! I'm confused. [/s]

The turtles in this movie are puke inducingly hideous, no getting around it, this looks more like a cross between that monster from the goonies and shrek, i though the turtles from the TMNT: Coming Out of the Shadows game were horrible... well they sure were one upped in the fugly department by this atrocities. I hope it bombs horribly and forces Nick to go back to the drawing board literally with the turtle designs, i don't care how good the movie actually is, i can't fathom looking at the screen for an hour an forty minutes with those things taking up space on it. I foresee hundreds of kids with TMNT induced nightmares.

G-Fex

The turtles in this movie are puke inducingly hideous, no getting around it, this looks more like a cross between that monster from the goonies and shrek, i though the turtles from the TMNT: Coming Out of the Shadows game were horrible... well they sure were one upped in the fugly department by this atrocities. I hope it bombs horribly and forces Nick to go back to the drawing board literally with the turtle designs, i don't care how good the movie actually is, i can't fathom looking at the screen for an hour an forty minutes with those things taking up space on it. I foresee hundreds of kids with TMNT induced nightmares.

exaggerate much?

Sanjuro

Trying a bit too hard there.

icespide

Banned
happy to see the positive impressions, I'm a big turtle fan and basically had zero expectations for this movie.

also calm down eddfromtheriver

exaggerate much?

Trying a bit too hard there.

Not at all, i really hate what they've done to the turtles. Kind of like watching your pretty little daughter grow up to become a disfigured prostitute... OK i may be overreacting a tad... but i have always loved the turtles, and i wanted to get excited for this movie but i just can't get past the way they look, they're truly a visual aberration.

Edit: Yeah guess i need to ease up a bit...

Not at all, i really hate what they've done to the turtles. Kind of like watching your pretty little daughter grow up to become a disfigured prostitute... OK i may be overreacting a tad... but i have always loved the turtles, and i wanted to get excited for this movie but i just can't get past the way they look, they're truly a visual aberration.

Fucking deal with it. The kids at the screening I went to loved them just fine. Nobody cares, especially the kids.

Yeah, i'll just pretend that this movie (and any sequels that use the same character designs) don't exist and just let it go, i'm not gonna change a thing so... but i'm still hella mad at whomever green-lit those designs...

phileep

I personally think the suits used in TMNT3 are the most visually disgusting versions of the movie turtles. They look like dog shit and I'm sure you watched that disgrace. The Turtles in this movie might be a bit ugly, but they're great. Your loss if you can't get over it.

And like Bronson said, the kids coming out of the screening loved them.

Sanjuro

At my screening there were kids after the show playfully phantom kicking and punching one another declaring what turtle they were. Was kind of funny to watch considering my age now and seeing the original film on opening night.

That being said, there were far more kids at the Guardians of the Galaxy showing I saw. Was kind of strange.

Yeah, i'll just pretend that this movie (and any sequels that use the same character designs) don't exist and just let it go, i'm not gonna change a thing so... but i'm still hella mad at whomever green-lit those designs...
That's funny how we clash. I loved the designs from the very beginning with the original leaks (Mikey costume doesn't count haha). I knew exactly what the artists were going for. They weren't going for CG Garfield staying true to the illustrations nor were they going for scientifically accurate representations of the characters. They found what I feel is the perfect middle ground for THIS particular imagining of the characters and story.

They look fucking fine. Always have.

I went to see Hercules the other day and there was a trailer for this before it. I was very apprehensive about the movie until I saw that trailer, some genuinely funny moments.

I am now looking forward to this quite a bit, and waiting until the 17th of October is gonna suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom