• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014) | OT | Hey Dude, This Is NO Cartoon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I'm just one of those fans that doesn't like when a script has to mess with an origin that's already established - I want to still watch the movie, but I find that totally unnecessary. The movie's story itself I don't mind, but don't mess with the origins.

Dogmatic adherence to source material can be a detriment sometimes. As things get adapted over and over, certain things can change to make more sense for the times they are being made in (ie Punisher no longer being a Vietnam vet). Others can just be improved. If the Ninja Turtles' origin was an integral part of their character or played on some larger theme that permeated the foundations of the franchise (ie Batman's parents being killed by criminals as a child), you would have a point. But their origin is literally a parody of Daredevil's. Nothing about their character or personality has anything to do with the fact that they are mutated from a canister of ooze after being dropped in the sewer, even if that's sometimes used as a plot element (like in Secret of the Ooze). It is literally just an excuse to explain why there are giant mutant turtles that are trained to be ninjas. I think there's some room to mess with there and I don't have a problem with that.

I'm not even processing how anyone cares about this nonsense...

It's basically the determining factor of whether or not a sequel gets made which is kind of a big deal. The GotG one is already greenlit but that's abnormal. It doesn't matter how good the Turtles movie is, if it doesn't make enough money we still won't get a sequel. That's why people care about that stuff.

Sanjuro

It looks like there is another music video that is about to premiere soon.

Brian Tyler's score is also going to be released tomorrow.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
They were directly responsible for their mutations.

Alien ooze, but not from a planet where mutant turtles and rats are from.

Dogmatic adherence to source material can be a detriment sometimes. As things get adapted over and over, certain things can change to make more sense for the times they are being made in (ie Punisher no longer being a Vietnam vet). Others can just be improved. If the Ninja Turtles' origin was an integral part of their character or played on some larger theme that permeated the foundations of the franchise (ie Batman's parents being killed by criminals as a child), you would have a point. But their origin is literally a parody of Daredevil's. Nothing about their character or personality has anything to do with the fact that they are mutated from a canister of ooze after being dropped in the sewer, even if that's sometimes used as a plot element (like in Secret of the Ooze). It is literally just an excuse to explain why there are giant mutant turtles that are trained to be ninjas. I think there's some room to mess with there and I don't have a problem with that.

I'm sure that I can think of a few examples of some origin stories that aren't directly liked to their character, but I don't think it would change our viewpoints on this. I'd just be fine if they didn't mess with their origins. I didn't mind that the Turtles somehow time-travelled to feudal Japan, or had to fight some immortal guy while trying to find some legendary monsters since they kept the origins intact the way they were.

Sanjuro

Alien ooze, but not from a planet where mutant turtles and rats are from.

I'm sure that I can think of a few examples of some origin stories that aren't directly liked to their character, but I don't think it would change our viewpoints on this. I'd just be fine if they didn't mess with their origins. I didn't mind that the Turtles somehow time-travelled to feudal Japan, or had to fight some immortal guy while trying to find some legendary monsters since they kept the origins intact the way they were.

Not sure how that matters.

Sanjuro

Comixology has a big sale on the IDW TMNT series.

$.99 ffor each issue and $3.99 for all the collected volumes.

So I saw Guardians last night and it was filled with "Bayhumor" based on the definitions of it in this thread. Are people crying about that, or is that property less sacred than Transformers toys and cowubunga Turtles? Yes, this is a sarcastic strawman argument but my point about hypocrisy effected by bias still stands.

So I saw Guardians last night and it was filled with "Bayhumor" based on the definitions of it in this thread. Are people crying about that, or is that property less sacred than Transformers toys and cowubunga Turtles? Yes, this is a sarcastic strawman argument but my point about hypocrisy effected by bias still stands.

Eh, Guardians was written better than any Transformers movie to date. Transformers goes for the real low hanging fruit, humor wise.

Eh, Guardians was written better than any Transformers movie to date. Transformers goes for the real low hanging fruit, humor wise.
I remember laughing during the original Transformers. Nothing seemed too bad. Hell, some of it was worse in Guardians... still laughed. You have to admit, there is a a big director/actor bias.

I remember laughing during the original Transformers. Nothing seemed too bad. Hell, some of it was worse in Guardians... still laughed. You have to admit, there is a a big director/actor bias.

I liked the first Transformers the most out of all the films, and think Bay does large-scale action better than almost anybody.

Bumblebee didn't need to pee on people, man

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Saw a new trailer last night while watching TV...so not wanting to watch anymore TV till Friday. I feel like the latest trailer is giving away too much from the film.

I really hate when production companies do that through releasing too many trailers. To be honest, it would have been nice not even knowing what the turtles looked like until this Friday.

Or the fact that GoTG is a great film by a director who can actually direct.
So are you telling me that Michael Bay has never directed or will never be able to direct a special effects heavy film with over the top action, a sarcastic, scruffy hero and multiple factions vying for a mysterious device and having to unite with an unlikely team?

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I loved GotG and don't care for Bay overall. But I'm also open minded enough to see through the bias/hypocrisy.

Goliath

Saw a new trailer last night while watching TV...so not wanting to watch anymore TV till Friday. I feel like the latest trailer is giving away too much from the film.

I really hate when production companies do that through releasing too many trailers. To be honest, it would have been nice not even knowing what the turtles looked like until this Friday.

That's on you. When I decide I will watch a movie I change the channel when trailers come on for it because they get more spoilery as it get's closer to release. I even stick my fingers in my ear and say lalala if I am put in a position where I can't change the channel.

Sanjuro

The score is pretty much a one note theme, isn't implemented in any meaningful way.

It's not god awful. Just generic.

ZoddGutts

So are you telling me that Michael Bay has never directed or will never be able to direct a special effects heavy film with over the top action, a sarcastic, scruffy hero and multiple factions vying for a mysterious device and having to unite with an unlikely team?

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I loved GotG and don't care for Bay overall. But I'm also open minded enough to see through the bias/hypocrisy.

Your're trying too hard and no.

The main theme is very Marvel-y, but it's a decent theme and I love the action beats. It also has some slower, emotional stuff that I dig.

Adrenaline is a great track.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Not sure how that matters.

A planet with mutant turtles and rats?

That is just too ridiculous, even if we look at the actual origin story. That at least kinda, somehow, made sense.

I gotta check these new vids posted in here soon, but looking at the official trailer #3, if all of the Turtles had Mikey's body, and Leo's head, I'd be a lot more fine with them. Raph would be fine being a bit more buff, but Don doesn't have to be THAT much slimmer than everyone else - he's the science guy, but I'm sure that they always trained together whenever Splinter was involved.

Sanjuro

That is just too ridiculous, even if we look at the actual origin story. That at least kinda, somehow, made sense.

I gotta check these new vids posted in here soon, but looking at the official trailer #3, if all of the Turtles had Mikey's body, and Leo's head, I'd be a lot more fine with them. Raph would be fine being a bit more buff, but Don doesn't have to be THAT much slimmer than everyone else - he's the science guy, but I'm sure that they always trained together whenever Splinter was involved.

I guess I don't understand your point.

G-Fex

There's a planet with mutant turtles and rats in this movie or are you just making stuff up?

You're right, let's all have them look the same and generic.

I know a lot of people don't like michelangelo's face ( I don't really either) but come on.

chaosaeon

Saw Megan Fox on the view talking about the movie and at the end of the segment they gave everyone in the audience a book about the history of the Turtles. All I could think was, "You really think getting all these people up to snuff on Turtle history before seeing THIS rendition is a good idea ?" That's like handing out box sets of the original Star Wars to people on their way to see episode one.

Sanjuro

I would say that 90% of people that believe they understand the franchise, really don't understand the franchise.

A big giant picture book can only help.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I guess I don't understand your point.

All I'm saying is that I can kind of be fine with varying degrees of ooze affecting regular turtles and a rat on Earth, versus them being aliens from a planet where mutant turtles and rats live. The original script that had that idea, that people were angry about was silly, even for a movie about giant ninja turtles taught by a rat master. There was no reason to go that far outside of the origins.

There's a planet with mutant turtles and rats in this movie or are you just making stuff up?

You're right, let's all have them look the same and generic.

I know a lot of people don't like michelangelo's face ( I don't really either) but come on.

The original script had them as aliens from another planet, but was luckily scrapped.

And them having the same body shape from the beginning for decades (they even started off with all four of them looking exactly the same, with all four of them wearing red bandanas) would make them generic now? You're a funny guy.

I was meaning to mention that they could have had their different shades of color too but I forgot. And when I meant Leo's head, I only meant the shape of his head - not the face, eyes, lips, etc. Your comment is still funny though.

G-Fex

All I'm saying is that I can kind of be fine with varying degrees of ooze affecting regular turtles and a rat on Earth, versus them being aliens from a planet where mutant turtles and rats live. The original script that had that idea, that people were angry about was silly, even for a movie about giant ninja turtles taught by a rat master. There was no reason to go that far outside of the origins.

The original script had them as aliens from another planet, but was luckily scrapped.

And them having the same body shape from the beginning for decades (they even started off with all four of them looking exactly the same, with all four of them wearing red bandanas) would make them generic now? You're a funny guy.

I was meaning to mention that they could have had their different shades of color too but I forgot. And when I meant Leo's head, I only meant the shape of his head - not the face, eyes, lips, etc. Your comment is still funny though.
LOL but this isn't the original script now is it? Great.

yes same body shape but I don't mind them being a bit unique. Especially if they didn't have all the same faces. I suppose the head shape could be the same yeah that'd be fine.

Not as funny as your comments or anyone elses.

It's true, this movie has been through a lot of crap and it's still going through it.

I would say that 90% of people that believe they understand the franchise, really don't understand the franchise.

A big giant picture book can only help.
Helped me. I'm nearly through it as I own only read it to my son my nights for story time. He's 4 1/2, he doesn't care about what I'm reading, he just wants "History of the Turtles!" (as he shouts it) just for the imagery.

OT, Laird sounds like a dick. Just the way he rubs me when I read his input. Very arrogantly proud of HIS version/vision of the turtles and that's it.

Thankfully his involvement is not unlike Spielberg's for Transformers. Those are Spielberg films right? smh

I think there's a difference. The movies(and television shows) Spielberg produces are of varying degrees of quality. Some suck, others are mediocre, while some are actually really good.

Bay, on the other had, tends to produce movies that all share an overall feel with each other. Particularly everything under the Platinum Dunes banner. That being said, the Purge movies(as stupid as the concepts are), weren't half bad(and they were Platinum Dunes), and being a bit TMNT fan(and liking the trailers and tv spots), I'm giving this a chance. The majority of their horror movies pre-Purge, though, were crap.

It wasn't, and did not feel like a Michael Bay film.

There was one fart joke in a early sequence.

This is a good thing. All that crap(masturbation/sex organ jokes, drug references, stereotypes) made the Transformers movies even more annoying. Don't get me wrong, without those, the movies would still be mediocre, but I think I might've been able to tolerate them MORE had all that stupid shit was never in them to begin with.

The Michael Bay comparisons are going to get very old now. Basically it's going to come down to "Does this movie have jokes!?" as stylistically there is nothing else to bridge the two close together.

There is crude humor, but nothing really out of the characters of the turtle's own stereotypes.

So there's nothing like:

Mikey(to April): "So, you're that reporter chick! Yeah, love your work!!"

Raph: "He sure does! Why do you think his right hand's bigger than his left?"

or Donatello whipping out his Bo staff and saying, "Yeah, THAT big and as hard as my shell!"

I think there's a difference. The movies(and television shows) Spielberg produces are of varying degrees of quality. Some suck, others are mediocre, while some are actually really good.

Bay, on the other had, tends to produce movies that all share an overall feel with each other. Particularly everything under the Platinum Dunes banner. That being said, the Purge movies(as stupid as the concepts are), weren't half bad(and they were Platinum Dunes), and being a bit TMNT fan(and liking the trailers and tv spots), I'm giving this a chance. The majority of their horror movies pre-Purge, though, were crap.

This is a good thing. All that crap(masturbation/sex organ jokes, drug references, stereotypes) made the Transformers movies even more annoying. Don't get me wrong, without those, the movies would still be mediocre, but I think I might've been able to tolerate them MORE had all that stupid shit was never in them to begin with.

So there's nothing like:

or Donatello whipping out his Bo staff and saying, "Yeah, THAT big and as hard as my shell!"
I heard a line that went something like
my shell is getting tight
so there's that. I laughed.

Oh and hiding within the bra area of a lingerie billboard and smirking.

New video :

Pentatonix - We Are Ninjas (Official)

Much better than the other, but still the worst thing I heard from Pentatonix =P
Better than the hip hop song, though am I the only one that likes the fact that, at least, both these songs were made SPECIFICALLY for this movie(and reference it)? I mean, I see a lot more movies do the "license already popular music" thing over contracting songwriters to make pop songs specifically for a movie" and even songs that reference the movie's characters or scene situations. Not that it doesn't exist(there are some that do this), but there seems to be less of that now than decades past. I'm glad we got music for this movie that talks about the turtles!

I heard a line that went something like
my shell is getting tight
so there's that. I laughed.

Oh and hiding within the bra area of a lingerie billboard and smirking.

If that's the most extreme of the "crude"-ness, I can dig it. At least it's not Mikey trashtalking Shredder about all his long blades, telling him that "Maybe he's compensating for something". "Y'know what they say about guys and big cars?". That or, "Dude, how do you jack off with all that shit on your hands and don't Benihana you dick off?"

Sanjuro

Mikey is infatuated with April. So, there is some teenager sexual innuendos towards her, but there isn't anything close to what you're referring to.

The bra sequence is just a credits gag really.

Guardians was tame compared to the Transformers movies by a LONGSHOT. Also, it was better written and featured more likable characters. Of course, the Guardians WERE the main characters of the movie(namesake, at least). Oddly enough, Star Lord is a dick, but he's also charming as hell and has some really good tender moments. He's a well balanced character, unlike the majority of the Transformers human cardboard cut-outs. Hell, I've seen more emotion in Groot than Sam Witwicky in all the Transformers movies.

The Transformers(Autobots and Decepticons) were supporting characters to Witwicky and a lot of the other human characters in it's series(which given the name is "Transformers" is pretty damn sad). At least, from the nuggets of info read here, the turtles are front and center with the humans in the supporting role(the way it SHOULD be).

I don't like the designs much but the way they move, breathe and so on is fantastic work by the special effects team. I'm even taking to Knoxville voicing Leonardo. I'm supposed to be taking my nephew to see this over the weekend so if he enjoys it then great but I'm not expecting much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom