• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014) | OT | Hey Dude, This Is NO Cartoon

Status
Not open for further replies.
She was the main focal point in the 1990 film. She was both the audience surrogate and the focus by which the narrative arc moved. It starts with her, every major event in the movie is based on her choices, among the turtles only Raph does anything that moves the plot forward, and that was meet Casey Jones and bring April back to the lair (well and get beat up but really that didn't move the plot forward, it was April taking the turtles to her farm that did). Donnie and Mikey did nothing worth mentioning, Leo's only purpose was to argue with Raph, and Raph's only purpose was to get the humans involved in the story. Splinter had two big events, turning the one boy (but Casey turned all the kids), and defeating Shredder (but Casey actually finished him off).
Her character served a purpose for sure, but nothing like what Jett described before.

vareon

Just got back. Open minded but low expectations on this one, so I enjoyed it. The Turtles themselves are really fun, and way more memorable if we compare to, say, Autobots in the first TF. The battles with Shredder are cool despite Shredder being overdesigned IMO, and thank goodness most actions take place on a broad daylight.

I'm also the kind of guy who don't mind origin changes and stuff, but yeah they changed some stuff.

Below is spoiler territory, I can't find the spoiler thread somehow.

- April plays the stupid "person found something fantastical yet keeps being stupid so that no one believes him/her" trope straight. In fact, despite her having quite a big role, she doesn't strike me as a smart girl.
- Karai is brutally murdered in this movie that I don't even know why they included her?
- "Foot Clan" is just a generic terrorist group. But Shredder is badass.
- Origin story is OK, but the scientist being April's father sounds like a quick way to create a connection between April and the Turtles without developing relationships properly.
- Ninja book out of sewers is lol

Overall, I agree it's a mess. Still fun, though, so don't let my impressions stop you from seeing it.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Saw it last night, and yeah, not a very good film. It just glosses over the characterization of the turtles, the way Shredder was handled was weak, and the film just ended, without a satisfying conclusion.

Towards the end, one of the turtles tries to make a heartfelt emotional speech, but it just feels so out of place because we don't really know these characters well enough to earn those emotions. There were howls of laughter in the theatre during that scene.

icespide

Banned
saw it last night. didn't hate it, didn't love it. the actual turtles were pretty well done I thought but everything else was bad. I really don't like Splinter's design, he looks tooo much like a rat (those eyes).

I was surprised how much the origins in this movie borrowed from the new IDW comics

mreddie

Just ugh.

April, the Turtles and Splinter were all together from the get go. I wouldn't mind it if they did it correctly. Karai is only here just for name value.

But this film is 90% exposition. Action was OK but I'm sorry, I didn't like this and I wanted to. I liked Age of Extinction because it was so ridiculous. This was just sad.

Sanjuro

Saw it last night, and yeah, not a very good film. It just glosses over the characterization of the turtles, the way Shredder was handled was weak, and the film just ended, without a satisfying conclusion.

Towards the end, one of the turtles tries to make a heartfelt emotional speech, but it just feels so out of place because we don't really know these characters well enough to earn those emotions. There were howls of laughter in the theatre during that scene.

I think you know them enough for that moment, as it was used for a gag. Basically it's the Michelangelo Show, which in retrospect is fine for what this film accomplishes.

JimiNutz

Banned
Just found out this doesn't hit the UK until October.
Was bummed at first but then I came in here and read the reviews and now I feel a shit load better.
If Megan Fox is the main character then fuck this movie. I think I'll spend the money I had planned to spend on seeing this buying the Nick series on DVD instead.

Sanjuro

Just found out this doesn't hit the UK until October.
Was bummed at first but then I came in here and read the reviews and now I feel a shit load better.
If Megan Fox is the main character then fuck this movie. I think I'll spend the money I had planned to spend on seeing this buying the Nick series on DVD instead.

She was cast as April O'Neil a long time ago.

On the other subject, I would download the episodes of the Nick show. I think the HD quality is certainly worth it for particular episodes.

jett

D-Member
She was cast as April O'Neil a long time ago.

On the other subject, I would download the episodes of the Nick show. I think the HD quality is certainly worth it for particular episodes.

Now you say "oh oh, she was cast as April and has top billing, YOU SHOULDA KNOWN BETTER" Yet you kept downplaying "moviebob"'s tweet as if he hadn't even watched the movie, but this was absolutely true:

Okay, one more: Megan Fox is the STAR of the movie. Main character. 100% her (April's) story.

Sanjuro lied, baby jesus cried

I think I'll spend the money I had planned to spend on seeing this buying the Nick series on DVD instead.

I've got a nephew who absolutely loves the Nick series. I've watched a bunch of episodes with him and it's pretty damn good. I think it's a lot better than the series that came out a decade ago, honestly.

Sanjuro

I've got a nephew who absolutely loves the Nick series. I've watched a bunch of episodes with him and it's pretty damn good. I think it's a lot better than the series that came out a decade ago, honestly.

The 2003 series did not end well at all. Originally though, it has some of the best episodes in any iteration, as it's the only media to adapt issues directly from the Mirage Comics.

The 2003 series did not end well at all. Originally though, it has some of the best episodes in any iteration, as it's the only media to adapt issues directly from the Mirage Comics.

I really liked that movie that finished the series. The one where they met all the different Ninja Turtles from various series.

Sanjuro

I really liked that movie that finished the series. The one where they met all the different Ninja Turtles from various series.

That was pretty fun. I don't really count that much though as a part of the series. At that point they had already had a few spin-off shows which muddled the story telling to goop.

So, maybe the first few seasons. Selected episodes afterwards. Then the film for the 2003 series is probably the way to go.

BFIB

I'm planning on seeing this tomorrow, but with a newborn, I haven't got to see any of the summer flicks, besides Godzilla.

My buddy wants to see this, and he's already seen everything else. I'm tempted to just cancel w/ him and go see GoTG by myself.

y2dvd

Just ugh.

April, the Turtles and Splinter were all together from the get go. I wouldn't mind it if they did it correctly. Karai is only here just for name value.

But this film is 90% exposition. Action was OK but I'm sorry, I didn't like this and I wanted to. I liked Age of Extinction because it was so ridiculous. This was just sad.

Dang, I hated Age of Extinction so this says a lot to me. I think I'm going to flip a coin whether to see this or not. Maybe after a few more impressions.

I'm planning on seeing this tomorrow, but with a newborn, I haven't got to see any of the summer flicks, besides Godzilla.

My buddy wants to see this, and he's already seen everything else. I'm tempted to just cancel w/ him and go see GoTG by myself.

Just do yourself a favour and go see GoTG.....seriously. It's so good.

Experien

Dang, I hated Age of Extinction so this says a lot to me. I think I'm going to flip a coin whether to see this or not. Maybe after a few more impressions.

I don't see how you could like Age of Extinction...and hate this? Regardless, they are related besides CGI.

Action scenes are awesome. Maybe he prefers quick-takes and close-ups to panning shots where you can see ALL the fighting. Shredder fights are just great.

Fun movie, if you like the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and aren't TRYING to hate, you will like this.

fader

Sanjuro lied, people died.

MEGAN FOX ABSOLUTELY IS THE MAIN CHARACTER OF THIS PIECE OF SHIT

Anyone who says otherwise is a goddamn liar. This movie is fucking garbage of the smelliest order.

For weeks I've been hopeful this could be decent, a good time, not even as a regular movie, but just a good TMNT movie, by TMNT standards. Well, let me tell you something. The movie starts off with Megan Fox... And it carries with Megan Fox for 20 minutes without a single glimpse at the turtles. Megan fucking Fox. MEGAN FUCKING FOX. The whole plot revolves around Apirl O'Neil, the characters revolve around Apirl O'Neil, the turtles revolve around April O'Neil, their entire origin revolves around April O'Neil. Megan Fox has the most screen time by far. Oh and guess what happens during the final fight between the turtles and the Shredder? You guessed it, it cuts between a scene with Megan Fox doing who gives a fuck. And guess who gives Shredder the final blow? That's right.

Megan fucking Fox. Fuck this movie. It's sad, really. It's terrible for reasons that have little to do with the turtles.

does she give him some cheesy last line before she finished him off?

Damn!

Sanjuro lied, people died.

MEGAN FOX ABSOLUTELY IS THE MAIN CHARACTER OF THIS PIECE OF SHIT

Anyone who says otherwise is a goddamn liar. This movie is fucking garbage of the smelliest order.

For weeks I've been hopeful this could be decent, a good time, not even as a regular movie, but just a good TMNT movie, by TMNT standards. Well, let me tell you something. The movie starts off with Megan Fox... And it carries with Megan Fox for 20 minutes without a single glimpse at the turtles. Megan fucking Fox. MEGAN FUCKING FOX. The whole plot revolves around Apirl O'Neil, the characters revolve around Apirl O'Neil, the turtles revolve around April O'Neil, their entire origin revolves around April O'Neil. Megan Fox has the most screen time by far. Oh and guess what happens during the final fight between the turtles and the Shredder? You guessed it, it cuts between a scene with Megan Fox doing who gives a fuck. And guess who gives Shredder the final blow? That's right.

Megan fucking Fox. Fuck this movie. It's sad, really. It's terrible for reasons that have little to do with the turtles.

The Forbes review is on point. It spends a lot of time on exposition of the frankly really shitty plot that attempts to connect every character with each other, solely to inexplicably aggrandize Megan Fox's role. We just do not get enough material with the Turtles just being the fucking Turtles. The TV spots pretty much showed all the scenes in which the Turtles show up. I don't understand how you can make a TMNT movie like this. It should be made for the kids, why the shit is this movie a Megan Fox vehicle?

BTW, as if I didn't make it clear already, Megan Fox is really dreadful in here. No charm, no charisma, no personality, no acting ability. She has one of those "barely emotes" faces that has been under the knife way too many times.

I really don't get the decision makers in Hollywood. It's infuriating to just think about this movie. The turtles are good, they aren't amazing, but their personalities are well defined and they do kick some ass. Action is well shot, even if it is nonsense, contextually (what's the deal with those snow mountains). But that's like, maybe 20-30 minutes of footage. The rest is really bad. Like I said, if you've seen the TV spots, you've seen all the good moments with the turtles. The plot should've been just about the turtles with a minimal amount of April and the other ancillary characters. Inexplicably escalating into a "must save the entire city/world" plot is just moronic. Nickelodeon should've taken more care of their franchise, especially with the quality cartoon and merchandise they got. A disaster like this could really hurt it.

lol. I do believe large swathes of this movie were rewritten/changed in post production. I'm convinced William Fichtner is meant to be inside Robo-Shredder and that was a last minute change/reshoot due to major fan blowback.

It's exactly like Transformers. The turtles play second fiddle to the humans. Will Arnett might have more lines than any of the turtles. You know what his movie totally needed? A romance subplot between Megan Fox and Will Anett. Yep, that happens.

BTW, this never happened:

dOwZRxh.jpg

It's a majorly disjointed mess. There's no sense of storytelling or pacing. It's obvious it's a hackjob.

edit: since I'm dropping spoilers and nobody cares, the origin of splinter and the turtles makes even less sense than ever before. Splinter was always a rat, and never had a ninja master to look at and learn from either, because get this, a kiddie April O'Neil was the original owner of the rat and the turtles. :lol He learns martial arts from ragged books he finds in the sewers.

I don't get it. The origin story of revenge of the nick cartoon literally writes itself. It's so simple, and so effective.

Don't even ask me about the whole ooze business, it makes even less sense.

mreddie

I don't see how you could like Age of Extinction...and hate this? Regardless, they are related besides CGI.

Action scenes are awesome. Maybe he prefers quick-takes and close-ups to panning shots where you can see ALL the fighting. Shredder fights are just great.

Fun movie, if you like the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and aren't TRYING to hate, you will like this.

I liked the action and the Turtles. It's just this wasn't as enjoyably bad as Age. This was just bad.

Experien

aww... not even a Cowabunga!?!? That alone would of made the movie worth it.

Now I call into question if he has seen the movie. There are TWO Cowabungas in the movie. Heck they released a clip of it this week!

The movie is good, head and shoulders above Age of Extinction (which was AWFUL with no redeeming value). It is fun and it is a Turtles movie. I don't like Megan Fox but it wasn't that big of a deal to have her in it. She was decent in some parts. This movie also includes some of the best action scenes this summer. The best part about the action...YOU CAN SEE IT! I mean the big fights don't have quick-cuts and no super zooms.

edit: I misread where the nope came from...my bad. April served as the main connection to the turtles for the audience but once the turtles came...she wasn't the main character.

Minyobi

I was promised a movie that is fucking garbage due Megan fucking Fox and other fucking things mentioned by other folk.
What I got is a fun movie with good interplay between the turtles and some nice action sequences.

That said, I don't think that the movie does all that much to set itself apart from a number of other movies based on comics/cartoons.

Just got back. Open minded but low expectations on this one, so I enjoyed it. The Turtles themselves are really fun, and way more memorable if we compare to, say, Autobots in the first TF. The battles with Shredder are cool despite Shredder being overdesigned IMO, and thank goodness most actions take place on a broad daylight.

I'm also the kind of guy who don't mind origin changes and stuff, but yeah they changed some stuff.

Below is spoiler territory, I can't find the spoiler thread somehow.

- April plays the stupid "person found something fantastical yet keeps being stupid so that no one believes him/her" trope straight. In fact, despite her having quite a big role, she doesn't strike me as a smart girl.
- Karai is brutally murdered in this movie that I don't even know why they included her?
- "Foot Clan" is just a generic terrorist group. But Shredder is badass.
- Origin story is OK, but the scientist being April's father sounds like a quick way to create a connection between April and the Turtles without developing relationships properly.
- Ninja book out of sewers is lol

Overall, I agree it's a mess. Still fun, though, so don't let my impressions stop you from seeing it.

I feel that way too. Went in open-minded and with the low expectations anybody could(considering it's a Platinum Dunes flick), and I'd have to say, it's probably the better(or best) movie that production company has release(IMO). It's helluva lot more tolerable than Michael Bay's Transformers movies, that's for sure.

My only gripes were(spoiler territory):

- Early on, when we are introduced to April on the dock, we get a hand-held shaky cam shot of her approaching a dock worker to get a story. I first said to myself, "Fuckin shaky cam bullshit, this early?!" then realized, "Oh, she's a reporter. It's probably shaky because Vern is shooting her via news cam!". Then we pull back to see Vern is lounging by the news van, no cam in hand. It was just shaky for the sake of shaky. Urgh!
- Villain's motives seemed pretty piss poor. Sachs(which I don't know how they are spelling it, because on the building, it's spelled "Sacks") wants to release a toxin across NYC that basically looks like it's the flesh-eating bacteria, and wants to use the turtles' blood(which contains mutagen) to create a cure. He'd then come in and CURE everybody and get paid LOTS of money by the US Government because, somehow that would work. He says something like, "Then I'll be REALLY rich!", because, he's not ALREADY really rich(he IS). Somehow this will also allow him and Shredder to take control of NYC and rule like an empire... LOL.
- Still don't like the Foot clan being reverted to basic terrorist-type thugs. Regardless of reinterpretation, they just work better as being ninja, plain and simple. Hell, it's more badass.
-Karai was pwned like a little bitch. Really, a WASTE of a good character. They shouldn't have done that. If you are going to just include a throw-away character, use a rebooted version of Tatsu.
- I kinda "understand" why they went the robot suited Shredder(the turtles are fuckin' super, hulking heroes, and not many normal human men could face them on a proper level), but I would've loved to see them actually make Shredder(the man) be that one exception. He's supposed to be a badass martial artist. Seeing him as a human(maybe a more traditional Shredder outfit), kicking shit out of this bulked up turtles would've made him MORE cool.
- Didn't care for Splinter. Especially with all the other interpretations, this one felt to be the weakest of 'em all(character-wise).
- Megan Fox was the weakest part of the movie. Had they gotten an actress that could act(act as in react to scenes with emotion that make you feel for her and what she's experiencing), and hell, maybe touched up on that dialog(her's, in particular, was pretty horrible), she might've been a great character. I think the little girl they got to play her as a kid did a more convincing performance the Fox did.

Good movie, though I thought the 90s movie did a lot of the character relationship thing(and family themes) WAY better. Fun popcorn flick, but nothing groundbreaking. GotG is TOTALLY lightyears more enjoyable(and entertaining), and the CG Nick toon is an overall better interpretation of the these turtles(and characters).

jett

D-Member
This is what's very difficult for me. I might if it's a empty theater, don't want to be around a full theater with kids.

I went late at night and there wasn't a kid in sight. Regular folk go watch all kinds of crap.

Zombine

Banned
Empty theater watching this right now. Trailer for this movie "When The Game Stands Tall " shows you the entire story. They even tell you they lose.

SRG01

I feel that way too. Went in open-minded and with the low expectations anybody could(considering it's a Platinum Dunes flick), and I'd have to say, it's probably the better(or best) movie that production company has release(IMO). It's helluva lot more tolerable than Michael Bay's Transformers movies, that's for sure.

My only gripes were(spoiler territory):

- Early on, when we are introduced to April on the dock, we get a hand-held shaky cam shot of her approaching a dock worker to get a story. I first said to myself, "Fuckin shaky cam bullshit, this early?!" then realized, "Oh, she's a reporter. It's probably shaky because Vern is shooting her via news cam!". Then we pull back to see Vern is lounging by the news van, no cam in hand. It was just shaky for the sake of shaky. Urgh!
- Villain's motives seemed pretty piss poor. Sachs(which I don't know how they are spelling it, because on the building, it's spelled "Sacks") wants to release a toxin across NYC that basically looks like it's the flesh-eating bacteria, and wants to use the turtles' blood(which contains mutagen) to create a cure. He'd then come in and CURE everybody and get paid LOTS of money by the US Government because, somehow that would work. He says something like, "Then I'll be REALLY rich!", because, he's not ALREADY really rich(he IS). Somehow this will also allow him and Shredder to take control of NYC and rule like an empire... LOL.
- Still don't like the Foot clan being reverted to basic terrorist-type thugs. Regardless of reinterpretation, they just work better as being ninja, plain and simple. Hell, it's more badass.
-Karai was pwned like a little bitch. Really, a WASTE of a good character. They shouldn't have done that. If you are going to just include a throw-away character, use a rebooted version of Tatsu.
- I kinda "understand" why they went the robot suited Shredder(the turtles are fuckin' super, hulking heroes, and not many normal human men could face them on a proper level), but I would've loved to see them actually make Shredder(the man) be that one exception. He's supposed to be a badass martial artist. Seeing him as a human(maybe a more traditional Shredder outfit), kicking shit out of this bulked up turtles would've made him MORE cool.
- Didn't care for Splinter. Especially with all the other interpretations, this one felt to be the weakest of 'em all(character-wise).
- Megan Fox was the weakest part of the movie. Had they gotten an actress that could act(act as in react to scenes with emotion that make you feel for her and what she's experiencing), and hell, maybe touched up on that dialog(her's, in particular, was pretty horrible), she might've been a great character. I think the little girl they got to play her as a kid did a more convincing performance the Fox did.

Good movie, though I thought the 90s movie did a lot of the character relationship thing(and family themes) WAY better. Fun popcorn flick, but nothing groundbreaking. GotG is TOTALLY lightyears more enjoyable(and entertaining), and the CG Nick toon is an overall better interpretation of the these turtles(and characters).

Did they even say that it's Karai during the movie? Or was there a credit mention that it was Karai?

At any rate, I think the weakest part of the movie wasn't April -- she was serviceable -- but rather Splinter. He's only in a couple of scenes and doesn't really do much aside from the Shredder fight/aftermath and the exposition.

Lastly, as much as I liked the movie, my main complaint is that the movie commits one of the most worst filmmaking sins of all time: it tells rather than shows. I mean, I understand that kids need to understand what's going on, but some of the scenes are just unnecessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom