• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014) | OT | Hey Dude, This Is NO Cartoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
Did they even say that it's Karai during the movie? Or was there a credit mention that it was Karai?

At any rate, I think the weakest part of the movie wasn't April -- she was serviceable -- but rather Splinter. He's only in a couple of scenes and doesn't really do much aside from the Shredder fight/aftermath and the exposition.

Lastly, as much as I liked the movie, my main complaint is that the movie commits one of the most worst filmmaking sins of all time: it tells rather than shows. I mean, I understand that kids need to understand what's going on, but some of the scenes are just unnecessary.

They explicitly mention the name. A total waste.

so what I am getting from critics is that Megan Fox is the Shia Leboeuf for this Turtles movie in terms of human screen time vs CG turtle screen time

so what I am getting from critics is that Megan Fox is the Shia Leboeuf for this Turtles movie in terms of human screen time vs CG turtle screen time
The difference is the Turtles look and act great and their action scenes aren't marred by close-ups and quick cuts in comparison to Transformers.

The difference is the Turtles look and act great and their action scenes aren't marred by close-ups and quick cuts in comparison to Transformers.

but they are still Hulked up at 7 foot tall and 400lbs which is not characteristic from their 5 foot tall at 150lbs turtles we were used to

G-Fex

but they are still Hulked up at 7 foot tall and 400lbs which is not characteristic from their 5 foot tall at 150lbs turtles we were used to

You're right I miss these suits.

aMVDfpg.jpg

MegalonJJ

Banned
When (Bay's) Leonardo looks like a cross between the Next Mutation and one of Rufio's lost boys, of course it was going to be shite.

Bro, see Purge: Anarchy. It's legit great and refreshing. I had no idea it was under that platinum dunes label.
I have to watch Anarchy. The first Purge was probably the second best Platinum Dunes movie after this one, IMO. Then again, I always felt the first one was more Blumhouse than PD(or at least FELT more Blumhouse, as both PD and Blumhouse had a hand in it).

She's bland and hell, and if you dislike her constant "exhausted mouth" expression, she's doing that throughout the movie. That being said, really, she's at least tolerable, unlike Shia in the Transformers movies. Or, better yet, she isn't offensively annoying like the MAJORITY of the human characters are in the Transformers movies.

You could actually register what's going on in the action scenes in this movie. The action scenes in the Transformers movies is basically a chaotic collision of techno-shit, debris and explosions moving at break-neck speed.

Sounds like a real piece of shit. Think im going to rewatch the 1990 movie instead

IMO, the 1990 one IS the better movie. If you haven't watched Guardians, I'd suggest just go to see that one.

Not sounding like I'm knocking it, but this movie is a passable popcorn flick. Like I said, other movies(even the cartoon series on Nick right now) have done and are doing the whole TMNT thing better(and the Nick show IS MUCH better than this by a longshot). If it's out of curiosity, as a fan, or to entertain your kids, there are far worse movies to go to(like the Transformers movies). Just go for it. I had an audience full of families and surprisingly it wasn't as bad as I COULD'VE been(and I've been in theaters with fuckin' shitstain parents letting their children run around, screaming like animals). Some of the jokes were funny(not much crude humor). Got the trailer for the 3D Spongebob movie that the kids seemingly went crazy over. Yup, had worse times in movie theaters seeing worse movies. Hell, like I said, I hated Amazing Spider-Man 2. I think this movie was WAY better than THAT one(that's just me, though the first ASM is better than this, IMO).

Sanjuro

The general consensus from people are pretty close to what I expected anyway.

The Michael Bay link is still poor, and generally from people that don't know what that even means.

Jett is correct as I stated before that April O'Neil is the primary focus moving the story along. Unlike the Transformers film series, she really doesn't do much in the way of action where the turtles take a backseat to her shit.

It's awful human direction based around some really nice action pieces.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
My favorite part of the movie was Will Arnett eating a mustard and parmesan sandwich. Great callback to Arrested Development.

Other than that, movie was not as bad as I was expecting it to be. The snow scene was really well done.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Soooo I thought it was actually a really charming and fun movie. The only issue for me is that it's not nearly as quotable as Secret of the Ooze. (No memorable quotes at all, in fact)

But as a long-time fan I walked away happy. Where as the CGI TMNT film left me just pleased that they were back, and Turtles Forever was pure lovable pandering, this movie was actually enjoyable. Great action that didn't cut a million times, a lot of times I was laughing out loud and I enjoyed that April wasn't a female "heroine' stereotype. Also, they handled the turtles being teens perfectly.

Sanjuro

Soooo I thought it was actually a really charming and fun movie. The only issue for me is that it's not nearly as quotable as Secret of the Ooze. (No memorable quotes at all, in fact)

But as a long-time fan I walked away happy. Where as the CGI TMNT film left me just pleased that they were back, and Turtles Forever was pure lovable pandering, this movie was actually enjoyable.

Yeah. A little too pandering...

Christopher

The movie was fucking awesome two things:

1.) I didn't like how the history between Splinter and Shredder wasn't there...their fued seemed meaningless.

2.) Shredders design..."too much" it was just too much.

Penguin

The general consensus from people are pretty close to what I expected anyway.

The Michael Bay link is still poor, and generally from people that don't know what that even means.

Jett is correct as I stated before that April O'Neil is the primary focus moving the story along. Unlike the Transformers film series, she really doesn't do much in the way of action where the turtles take a backseat to her shit.

It's awful human direction based around some really nice action pieces.

I will say this about the April focus that pissed me off

She got to finish off the Shredder? Really that was just like.. WHY!

This was the funnest movie I have ever seen at a movie theater hands down. The top-notch, well crafted, beautifully shot actions scenes were amazing. You might be thinking "hyperbole" but never has my heart fluttered with happiness while watching a popcorn flick until this film.

Judge for yourself folks. If you're interested because you like TMNT but are worried about Bayness, see it and see for yourself. I personally feel it was the best "episode" of the turtles I have ever seen. Going in thinking movies should only be either *insert best drama* or *insert best action/adventure* should stay home. Don't even see Guardians for that matter because that falls short too.

But as a long-time fan I walked away happy. Where as the CGI TMNT film left me just pleased that they were back, and Turtles Forever was pure lovable pandering, this movie was actually enjoyable. Great action that didn't cut a million times, a lot of times I was laughing out loud and I enjoyed that April wasn't a female "heroine' stereotype. Also, they handled the turtles being teens perfectly.

At least Megan Fox isn't made out to be a sex object in this than in that other toy movie franchise, that's nice to know.

I just got back from seeing it.

That movie was fucking awesome. The action scenes were a pure delight, in particular the snow slope one in the middle of the film. The camera work was just amazing. And yeah, no shaky-cam bullshit; you can make out what's happening on screen.

The banter between the Turtles was very well-written and genuinely funny. The part with the adrenaline had the entire theater erupt in laughter. It was great.

Even Megan Fox was fine. It's not as if her character was developped and demanded a deep performance anyway. I had no qualms with her, honestly. As someone else said, Splinter was the weak point of the film. I didn't much care for anything he said. He was cool in his one fight scene, but that's it.

Damn the critics. I am recommending this film to everyone who wants to have a good time, and I hope it makes enough money to green-lit a sequel.

Totally rad.

I'm hearing conflicting things.

I'm not saying I don't believe you jett

I'm saying don't believe jett, believe in me, your Movie Lord and Savior!

I suggest you watch it and make up your own mind, then. :p

Or this too

Empty theater watching this right now. Trailer for this movie "When The Game Stands Tall " shows you the entire story. They even tell you they lose.

I'm pretty sure the movie starts after they lose.

This was the funnest movie I have ever seen at a movie theater hands down. The top-notch, well crafted, beautifully shot actions scenes were amazing. You might be thinking "hyperbole" but never has my heart fluttered with happiness while watching a popcorn flick until this film.

With the flaws the movie has (and there are some), the action sequences are not one. Good lord are they good.

Hydraulic Staff for life.

tldr; always bet on me

I'm glad to see more people chiming in. I loved it, and it was just fun all around.

jett
LLShC.gif
I'm certain Jett didn't even see the movie. Or he/she was preloaded with his/her opinion before seeing the film.

The beginning dialog and the mountain being next to NYC bit were the only quesionable things in my opinion. Everything else was more than serviceable.

I'm certain Jett didn't even see the movie. Or he/she was preloaded with his/her opinion before seeing the film.

The beginning dialog and the mountain being next to NYC bit were the only quesionable things in my opinion. Everything else was more than serviceable.

Eh, I'm almost certain he did. The movie absolutely has flaws which he pointed out. He laid it on real thick with the April thing though, the Turtles really do show up in a hell of a lot of scenes.

I'm the happy medium between Sanjuro and Jett. I am Janjuro!

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Just got back from the movie with my wife. Wow...amazing. Definite buy on Blu-Ray day one.

I was born in 1980, collected every single TMNT action figure made (unfortunately sold them as a lot during a garage sale when I was younger) and owned the original trilogy of movies, just amazing stuff in this new one that really paid respect to the old films.

Critics can go f themselves.

Actually wanted to see it, got there at 7:45 to buy tickets for the 7:45 show :p L for me but it was sold out

RIP Guardians but I might be back for the 10:30 showing

hydruxo

I might go see this during matinee next week and check it out. Kinda curious since GAF seems to be enjoying it for the most part for what it is.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
I just got back from seeing it.

That movie was fucking awesome. The action scenes were a pure delight, in particular the snow slope one in the middle of the film. The camera work was just amazing. And yeah, no shaky-cam bullshit; you can make out what's happening on screen.

The banter between the Turtles was very well-written and genuinely funny. The part with the adrenaline had the entire theater erupt in laughter. It was great.

Even Megan Fox was fine. It's not as if her character was developped and demanded a deep performance anyway. I had no qualms with her, honestly. As someone else said, Splinter was the weak point of the film. I didn't much care for anything he said. He was cool in his one fight scene, but that's it.

Damn the critics. I am recommending this film to everyone who wants to have a good time, and I hope it makes enough money to green-lit a sequel.

Totally rad.

I agree. I think critics don't realize that we want to be entertained...not "awed" for oscar hopes. When I go to a movie, I don't go in expecting some life-changing moment, I want to be entertained. Having grown up as a kid with these figures and toys, I was laughing the entire time like I was 9 years old again. My wife was having a grand time, and what was funny was the people around us were mostly adults around the same age, that says something.

This movie was a time machine in my opinion, and it was great to be brought back to that age when we first discovered these great iconic toys and figures.

Eh, I'm almost certain he did. The movie absolutely has flaws which he pointed out. He laid it on real thick with the April thing though, the Turtles really do show up in a hell of a lot of scenes.

I'm the happy medium between Sanjuro and Jett. I am Janjuro!
The only flaws for me were time constraint related. The enemy plan thing was a bit weak and silly, but I get what they were going for.

I hope we get a sequel. I'm imagining turtle van chase scenes and Kraang invasions comomete with tentavled goodness and mutant Triceratops in space! With this film's quality effects!?

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Actually wanted to see it, got there at 7:45 to buy tickets for the 7:45 show :p L for me but it was sold out

RIP Guardians but I might be back for the 10:30 showing

I waited three hours in line for the firs turtles movie and they ended up being all sold out by the time we got to the front. Luckily, we went across town where the other school districts weren't on spring break and got into the movie really quickly...something we should have thought of in the first place back then.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
The only flaws for me were time constraint related. The enemy plan thing was a bit weak and silly, but I get what they were going for.

I hope we get a sequel. I'm imagining turtle van chase scenes and Kraang invasions comomete with tentavled goodness and mutant Triceratops in space! With this film's quality effects!?

I love what they did with Shredder, they made him real. He was evil and strong. His costume was freaking amazing.

Just got back from the movie with my wife. Wow...amazing. Definite buy on Blu-Ray day one.

I was born in 1980, collected every single TMNT action figure made (unfortunately sold them as a lot during a garage sale when I was younger) and owned the original trilogy of movies, just amazing stuff in this new one that really paid respect to the old films.

Critics can go f themselves.

Why do you care about the critics? Maybe some critics were big fans of TMNT too back in the day and just hated this. It's not like they'll stop your enjoyment of some movie. You're a critic too by having given your opinion, you're just not being paid or writing multiple paragraphs. There's not much of a barrier between critics and other people with opinions in the age of the internet. There is no us vs them anymore. We have people on youtube who are now film critics.

Well, I hated April in this because she seemed to have the drive and such that OG April did, but you couldn't buy her as a hard hitting reporter quite yet. Like she was just starting off.

But yeah, all that shit doesn't matter when they literally have best in show CG going on here. People can hate on a whole lot of things about the movie, but that shit can't be denied.

sigh, I want to watch guardians but it still hasn't released in my country, already bought tickets for Turtles for today, hope I had a good time, I have pretty low bar for entertainment. I did enjoy Transformers 4 for one.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
10571947_254110721379365_3063597913598986245_o.jpg

guys...Leo's tatted up...did not notice that. He's got one on his left arm and right arm. I think Mikey has one on his left arm too near his delt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom