• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014) | OT | Hey Dude, This Is NO Cartoon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even my girlfriend who was not a fan of the new designs originally, has come around to being on board after seeing one of the TV spots last night. I'm trying not to get too excited and keep my expectations in check, but I'm getting excited damnit.

nod022.gif

I'm watching the TMNT documentary on Netflix.

Laird said that April O'Neil is named and modeled after his high-school sweetheart and first wife. Eastman said that Casey Jones is based on Kurt Russell's character from Big Trouble in Little China.

I'm unsure if this was known. News to me.

.la1n

Laird said that April O'Neil is named and modeled after his high-school sweetheart and first wife. Eastman said that Casey Jones is based on Kurt Russell's character from Big Trouble in Little China.

There is a TMNT documentary on netflix? What's it called?

edit: found it, on Canadian netflix that's why I didn't see it at first.

There is a TMNT documentary on netflix? What's it called?

Turtle Power: The Definitive History of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

When the second issue came out, it sold more than The Avengers. I knew the cartoon was popular, but I underestimated how popular the original comic was.

G-Fex

That explains why he's a tough guy and a fucking dork.

I'll have you know I know how to par-tay.

Holy shit. David Wise (screenwriter) had originally wanted Michelangelo to be "street" instead of using surfer lingo. In fact, the very first line a turtle says in the original animated series is "what". I'm unsure if this made it into the cartoon, but from the screenshot of the screenplay they are showing, Donatello says: "Chill out, homeboy."

Hahaha. I guess the new movie is closer to his original vision. He must be pleased ! :)

Holy shit. David Wise (screenwriter) had originally wanted Michelangelo to be "street" instead of using surfer lingo. In fact, the very first line a turtle says in the original animated series is "what". I'm unsure if this made it into the cartoon, but from the screenshot of the screenplay they are showing, Donatello says: "Chill out, homeboy."

From IMDB:
David Wise (I) (Writer, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1987) )
David Wise (II) (Composer, Donkey Kong Country (1994) )

Shit I'm disappointed.

oh WOW. Wise got the "cowabunga" line from Snoopie. There was a comic in which Snoopie was surfing and uttered the iconic line. Wise took it and had one of the turtles say it while he was surfing and it stuck.

edit: guess who showed up. Liquid Snake himself, Cam Clarke.

SRG01

Hahaha. I guess the new movie is closer to his original vision. He must be pleased ! :)

Huh, I didn't know that.

I should give the documentary another try. I stopped watching because it got really really slow.

G-Fex

oh WOW. Wise got the "cowabunga" line from Snoopie. There was a comic in which Snoopie was surfing and uttered the iconic line. Wise took it and had one of the turtles say it while he was surfing and it stuck.

edit: guess who showed up. Liquid Snake himself, Cam Clarke.

Cam Clarke is always fucking Leonardo. He's just british Leonardo when talking in MGS.

If he wanted the real surfer lingo where's my grommets and Swoods?

Wow, Judith Hoag still lookin' good at nearing 50.

Oh man, she should cameo as April's mom in the new movie. That would be charming.

Mikey is fine in motion but in stills he is the worst of the new designs.

Mikey was beaten with the ugly stick non-stop, he looks more like Fionna than Shrek though... i want to get excited for this movie, but i can't because the character models are atrocious.

That Turtle Power documentary is AWESOME. Damn near cried at the end. Also Jim Henson is a God. How they were able to pull off those turtles suits is crazy. They were a lot more advanced then i thought.

I've been reading the visual history of TMNT so it's funny seeing the "x did y... what!?!?" posts. If you like the doc, check out the book. It might seem redundant (though I haven't seen the film yet), but it's an excellent package that shares a lot of unknown details and even has inserts glued to pages because I guess there wasn't enough room for even more scans of memorabilia haha. One such insert is an idea for a rapping Dontello toy with "rap" lyrics written above him that are pretty dirty haha. Seemed more like an inside joke than something they planned on having him say. I'll edit with the line when I get a chance.

Tex117

Banned
As a kid, I always like Leonardo (and still do), but I find I have much more in common with Ralph.

Those trailers look kinda awesome...Though I miss the original.....

Two new TV spots:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWkWBHpwCXM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm-GQSLkNf8

Not sure how I feel about the Foot being special ops soldiers.

these look pretty good. i've accepted the re-designs and can live with them. now i have a problem with their voices. they just don't seem to have the same amount of character that they had in the original film. either way, i'm pretty excited for this at this point. it looks like it's going to be a fun movie.

Tizoc

Never knew these as well, which kinda fits since Casey seems to get tossed into the most bizarre situations with the Turtles.

Turtle Power: The Definitive History of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

When the second issue came out, it sold more than The Avengers. I knew the cartoon was popular, but I underestimated how popular the original comic was.

Hope this gets released on iTunes, def. want to watch this!
...and one of these days I will get around to re-reading the original comic =_=

This is looking better everytime I see more footage. I'll probably try and catch this as long as it doesnt get totally panned by everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom