• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014) | OT | Hey Dude, This Is NO Cartoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanjuro

Just got some screening passes for Wednesday and Saturday. Check your local sites, they seem to be popping up in the last couple hours.

No matter how nasty I find some of the designs *cough* Mikey *cough* I'm still seeing this when it's released. I'm hoping it's really fun.
I know this is an (unfortunately popular) opinion and all, but they do not look that bad. Mikey actually looks... cute if I dare say so.

As I was watching some eps of the Nick show last night, I thought "how would I adapt the turtles to live action?" Most complained about nostrils... but they need nostrils if I was going to show turtles fighting and emoting which requires breathing. And if they're going to talk, I'd need lips. And because I don't care for the original series, they're not going to have rounded snouts. Seems the new movie ticks all of my boxes. I'd prefer slimmer, stealthier turtles to be honest, but that won't prevent me from seeing and enjoying this movie.

Back to the topic of lips, That's one thing that bugs me, animalistic or monstrous characters wihout lips, tongues, teeth, and/or throats being abke to speak (clearly). That works with puppets and cartoons, but not film. I found Smaug to be very well done though.

Going to a screening in Jersey tonight. I'll let you guys know what I think in the morning.

They're also buttering us up with free popcorn and soda, a tactic that only bad movies/TV shows use. So prepare yourself! :p

Penguin

Going to a screening in Jersey tonight. I'll let you guys know what I think in the morning.

They're also buttering us up with free popcorn and soda, a tactic that only bad movies/TV shows use. So prepare yourself! :p

That's not true, they did the same thing with Transfo...oh mah gawd! :O

Sanjuro

I was promised a blow job from April, you lucky son of a bitch.

G-Fex

Oh great Bronson impressions :p

Can't wait for impressions. I think. At this point I'm not sure how much it's going to matter with the Michael Bay stigma and people hating the designs and basically hating it years before a single take.

That's not true, they did the same thing with Transfo...oh mah gawd! :O

They didn't do that with the premiere for us in Philly! Damnit Wahlberg!

But ya, the only movie I can remember that did that that was good was We're The Millers, and that was a super private screening. Warner did one for Into The Storm last night with a full pre-screening reception at a restaurant. Free drinks/food and a Twitter Vending Machine! :O

I was promised a blow job from April, you lucky son of a bitch.

Wait, which one? Either way...ew

Oh great Bronson impressions :p

Suckit

Can't wait for impressions. I think. At this point I'm not sure how much it's going to matter with the Michael Bay stigma and people hating the designs and basically hating it years before a single take.

If it's any indicator, I'll basically watch anything, and I like the Transformers movies (but they should just get rid of all semblance of human plot)

They didn't do that with the premiere for us in Philly! Damnit Wahlberg!

But ya, the only movie I can remember that did that that was good was We're The Millers, and that was a super private screening. Warner did one for Into The Storm last night with a full pre-screening reception at a restaurant. Free drinks/food and a Twitter Vending Machine! :O

Wait, which one? Either way...ew

Suckit

If it's any indicator, I'll basically watch anything, and I like the Transformers movies (but they should just get rid of all semblance of human plot)
It was the lack of the human scenes in the third movie that really hurt it in my opinion. As trite and hackneyed as they were in the first two movies, it added a good balance between the action and moving the plot forward. The third movie was non-stop robot fighting for almost three hours and it gave me a headache. That's why I didn't even bother with the fourth.

It was the lack of the human scenes in the third movie that really hurt it in my opinion. As trite and hackneyed as they were in the first two movies, it added a good balance between the action and moving the plot forward. The third movie was non-stop robot fighting for almost three hours and it gave me a headache. That's why I didn't even bother with the fourth.

I thought Transformers 1 was the best out of all of them. 2 was hot garbage, 3 was alright, but you could just skip to the end fights and be cool.

4 is alright in my book, just needed a bit less human stuff. Like half an hour less. Make a 2 hour movie, Bay!

Sanjuro

it was cancelled way too early

I wouldn't go that far.

Worst iterations are the tours obviously, then the third film, then debatably the Image series.

The original series was all about giving independent creators the ability to make their mark on the concept. No problems with the turtles looking like they should in the real world.

Alternatively that's exactly why I thought the third one was far better than the first two, lol

The first two had horrible writing and story but the third one kept much of that to the first half and while it was still dumb it didn't have geezerformers with canes teleporting the Scooby gang from the Smithsonian to fucking Egypt and the second half of the third one was straight up well done action.

Man that shit in the second one was just insufferably idiotic.

Sanjuro

The third film is worse than anything. Humans have nothing to do in this franchise. This new film seems to be the attempt at making people give a fuck.

I wouldn't go that far.

Worst iterations are the tours obviously, then the third film, then debatably the Image series.

The original series was all about giving independent creators the ability to make their mark on the concept. No problems with the turtles looking like they should in the real world.
Having just watched the third film, the actual final battle scenes were really great. Suits didn't bother me there. Only when just their faces are shown while wearing the armor does it show how bad they were haha.

edit: Talking about Turtles lol.

Sanjuro

Having just watched the third film, the actual final battle scenes were really great. Suits didn't bother me there. Only when just their faces are shown while wearing the armor does it show how bad they were haha.

The first film while flawed attempts at common cinematic plot points.

The third film is basically a dying franchise flailing to suck dollars from parents in cinemas. The film opens to a workout video...

Platy

Can't wait for impressions.

And don't forget to warn us about the Usagi Yojimbo reference post credits scene !

The first film while flawed attempts at common cinematic plot points.

The third film is basically a dying franchise flailing to suck dollars from parents in cinemas. The film opens to a workout video...

To be honest, I only FINISHED watching the film the other day.... after months on hold beause I couldn't stand to finish it when I started it. I'm not saying the film is anywhere near good, but I'm saying the suits didn't bother me during the end battles. I was actually enjoying the fighting without being distracted.

Sanjuro

To be honest, I only FINISHED watching the film the other day.... after months on hold beause I couldn't stand to finish it when I started it. I'm not saying the film is anywhere near good, but I'm saying the suits didn't bother me during the end battles. I was actually enjoying the fighting without being distracted.

Fighting was never a big strong point for any of these films. The first balanced some sort of actual skill with slapstick humor though.

Fighting was never a big strong point for any of these films. The first balanced some sort of actual skill with slapstick humor though.
Which is why I bring it up, I was surprised that I enjoyed it. Maybe not the choreography or actual fighting, but the visual of guys in green turtle suits with weapons fighting samaurai.

Wazzy

Banned
Yassss I want impressions!

And sorry Moonsault, I've grown to not mind the other designs but Mikey will always look like an abomination. Blergh.

Sanjuro

Yassss I want impressions!

And sorry Moonsault, I've grown to not mind the other designs but Mikey will always look like an abomination. Blergh.

Free poster, foam finger, popcorn, soda, blowjob...

They are buttering me up for something!

Haines

Banned
I'll probably watch this because of my love of the first live action movie but it will probably be a one and done thing.for me

Sanjuro

I took more foam fingers than intended apparently. Have two now.

Movie was a lot of fun. The action sequences were some of the best this summer.

The interaction/chemistry with the turtles was what I desired the most, and this film delivered especially in that category.

G-Fex

The interaction/chemistry with the turtles was what I desired the most, and this film delivered especially in that category.

There you go Sanjuro says it's the greatest movie ever.

Well I'm convinced.

Impressions time!

Screening wise...

It was absolute chaos and it drew the biggest collection of angry parents/families I've ever seen. It was run pretty bad, too. They separated people according to their tickets, then made general people wait in line for an extra hour, then eventually sent 100+ home. Really sucked for everyone there.

The movie itself was surprising as hell to me. I quite liked it; lots of action sequences that definitely made it feel like more of a comic book movie than the originals. Definitely for that teenage demographic though.

If you were interested in it, it's totally worth your time!

Foam finger design will make or break whether I see this movie, need photos asap.

It's the 3 finger version, like their hands.

Is Mikey hitting on April??

Uh....get used to that. It happens a lot in the movie.

The CG was damn good, and there is a lot of it. Lots of long takes with it too, of course.

They establish the general quirks the turtles have almost immediately. Donatello was probably my favorite, then Mikey, then Raph/Leo.

Raph is a BEAST.

Humans are whatever.

I did not stay past all of the credits. I am not that patient.

Mariolee

New TV spot featuring more Shredder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNGtwDJPXvA

Is Mikey hitting on April??

That spot was actually really funny to me. I actually feel like I might like this movie.

Impressions time!

Screening wise...

It was absolute chaos and it drew the biggest collection of angry parents/families I've ever seen. It was run pretty bad, too. They separated people according to their tickets, then made general people wait in line for an extra hour, then eventually sent 100+ home. Really sucked for everyone there.

The movie itself was surprising as hell to me. I quite liked it; lots of action sequences that definitely made it feel like more of a comic book movie than the originals. Definitely for that teenage demographic though.

I need to see this just to proudly eat crow.

How is Shredder in the movie and how much do they mess with the ooze origin of the Turtles? Do they "Amazing Spider-Man" it up?

Also disclaimer: Take everything I say with a grain of salt. It's really hard for me to hate a movie. That being said, it was pretty fun, flaws notwithstanding.

I need to see this just to proudly eat crow.

How is Shredder in the movie and how much do they mess with the ooze origin of the Turtles? Do they "Amazing Spider-Man" it up?

Shredder is a hefty motherfucker in the movie. They do mess with the ooze origin to an extent. Beyond that it's pretty straightforward. They mess with Shredder too, but if you've seen spots and whatnot, then you know how they have.

So its ....good?!

I didn't like Fox in it (April in the first movie was waaay better/you could buy her as a real journalist), but the turtles/Splinter are awesome, and I liked Shredder. The fight scenes in particular were pretty sick. That snow chase scene is also pretty spectacular.

Hmm...interest rising. Might end up catching this in the theater after all.

Oh, that reminds me: We saw it in 3D, it was serviceable. You could probably see it in 2D and be fine, though.

How much Bay humor was present? Jokes relating to masturbation, dicks, farts, drug use, racist caricatures. That sort of thing.

Zero. This is a movie solely for kids/teenagers at most, but beyond the stuff that's in the trailers (Arnett being distracted by the butt), none of that is there.

A lot of slow motion during some action scenes though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom