• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan |OT| Heroes in a Bargain Bin

ezekial45

Banned
So was this on a tighter schedule and smaller budget than Transformers? Or is this just another case of poor design and misguided areas of focus.

LaNaranja

Is this really the same team as Transformers? That game was fun. It was super short but damn did that game have crazy replayability with all the different weapon types and difficulties. The gameplay was pretty tight too and the game was tuff if you didn't have good weapons.

Looking at a boss fight against Bebop on youtube makes the bosses look like unresponsive damage sponges. Compare it to a video of fighting two bosses in Transformers where your hits had impact.

TMNT boss on hard.

Transformers boss on hard.

Welp, I think I'm out. You get three continues per level, and if you use them all you have to start the level over from the beginning. I've been playing on Normal, fighting Slash (the third boss), and when you get him down to 2 of 7 health bars he goes nuts and kills everyone almost immediately. I tried the fight four times, and it happened every time. Bebop and Rocksteady did it, too, but at least you could get some hits in; Slash just does such insane damage, is so aggressive you basically never get a window, and the AI doesn't really seem to bother dodging so they all eat it straight away.

I don't feel motivated to git gud and beat him, like I would with a good Platinum boss. This just feels like he's a badly-designed damage sponge, and now if I want to try again I'll have to do that whole shitty level over again. Maybe tomorrow I'll bump it down to Easy and try again, but right now I really can't be bothered. Combat in this game is such a chaotic visual mess that most of the time I can't even tell which turtle I am, so precision blocking and attacking is all but impossible.

Paul Gale

0soMFj9.jpg

Dg93vxW.jpg

KhaHfdl.jpg

XJlqRxU.jpg

ZIBs9Bk.jpg

EClzobu.jpg

lV8Gmlo.jpg

Great post. Funny, well written, and in general...just creative. I know that issue very well, too. (Man that IDW series has been so good.) Again, nice one. :)

Teknoman

Anarchy Reigns and Mad World were both 30 as well as Vanquish. 30 fps can be fine depending on the action...but...is the action that great?

The other 30 fps Platinum games were also on last-gen consoles.

Limited continues sounds like a really unnecessary and dumb design-decision.

Anarchy Reigns and Mad World were both 30 as well as Vanquish. 30 fps can be fine depending on the action...but...is the action that great?

30FPS is disappointing, but it's the least of this game's problems, unfortunately.

Limited continues sounds like a really unnecessary and dumb design-decision.

Reminds me of Madworld, which is still the only Platinum game I've never finished specifically because it didn't give you a checkpoint when you hit a bossfight. I can't stand that shit. So many of my favourite memories from Platinum's games are fighting bosses dozens of times until I finally master everything they can throw at me and win the fight like a badass, and you just don't get that when the game throws some outdated limited continues bullshit your way. Baffling.

AHA-Lambda

Continues? Are you fucking kidding?? O_O

3 on normal? So how many on easy?

I thought it might be worth a rental still but having such an archaic system like continues in 2016 really turns me off immediately

Rymuth

Great OT

Welp, I think I'm out. You get three continues per level, and if you use them all you have to start the level over from the beginning. I've been playing on Normal, fighting Slash (the third boss), and when you get him down to 2 of 7 health bars he goes nuts and kills everyone almost immediately. I tried the fight four times, and it happened every time. Bebop and Rocksteady did it, too, but at least you could get some hits in; Slash just does such insane damage, is so aggressive you basically never get a window, and the AI doesn't really seem to bother dodging so they all eat it straight away.

I don't feel motivated to git gud and beat him, like I would with a good Platinum boss. This just feels like he's a badly-designed damage sponge, and now if I want to try again I'll have to do that whole shitty level over again. Maybe tomorrow I'll bump it down to Easy and try again, but right now I really can't be bothered. Combat in this game is such a chaotic visual mess that most of the time I can't even tell which turtle I am, so precision blocking and attacking is all but impossible.
Probably the same reason other posters from the early impressions thread turned the game down to Easy. Seems it's badly design and repetitive....shame, I was looking forward to this.

duckroll

Is this really the same team as Transformers?

Nope. Not the leads at least. Transformers Devastation was directed by Kenji Saito who headed up development on Metal Gear Rising. The lead game designer was Hiroshi Shibata, the game design lead on many of Kamiya's games dating back to Clover days.

Not sure who the "team" for TMNT is, but it's directed by the guy who led the Korra game.

Nope. Not the leads at least. Transformers Devastation was directed by Kenji Saito who headed up development on Metal Gear Rising. The lead game designer was Hiroshi Shibata, the game design lead on many of Kamiya's games dating back to Clover days.

Not sure who the "team" for TMNT is, but it's directed by the guy who led the Korra game.

And now everything makes sense. Shame I actually enjoyed Korra, repetitive as hell though.

ZoddGutts

Hope they hire Wayforward next time, give me a real TMNT beat em up game with local-co-op ala Double Dragon Neon, that game was worth 10 bucks too.

orbabsorb

Neo Member
Man I feel like I should cancel while I still got time...

Now that you mention it, Eiro is the guy behind Korra game, which was below average.

I pre-ordered it because I really loved Transformers game and said to myslef that nothing can go wrong after that.

Halp!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Man I feel like I should cancel while I still got time...

Now that you mention it, Eiro is the guy behind Korra game, which was below average.

I pre-ordered it because I really loved Transformers game and said to myslef that nothing can go wrong after that.

Halp!
Cancel cancel cancel

Quick

duckroll

RIP. I guess I dodged a bullet. Was waiting for more impressions anyway after the initial gameplay started to look questionable.

Something tells me this was built for co-op moreso than SP. I got the game mainly for that so I'm not worried but damn if the impressions don't sound terrible. Looks like Transformers is the best of the bunch when it comes to these low budget games.

I'm still hyped as hell. It may not be as big as other Platinum titles but the combat looks solid. Has anyone delved deeper into the mechanics? I knowe have switch turtles on the fly and dodge offset.

Zuzzissm0

Amazing OT!!! Not sure if I'm the only one with this problem but xbox one version first wouldn't sync and now just won't start, keep saying something went wrong wtf!?

edit:

moved it to external storage now and it seems to work but still won't sync :(

edit2:

it looks like there is something wrong with xbox live, social and gaming affected, I''m going to bed, so much from waiting.

Same problem here. And the preorder dlc doesnt work too. You can only play the game in offline mode but i think it's a problem from platinum and not Xbox live. The Support is a pain in the ass with this and i cant find a statement anywhere else

taoofjord

Hopefully the backlash will make Platinum more careful when it comes to picking projects and working on especially small budgets.

Ugh, I really wanted a good TMNT game from them too.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Hope they hire Wayforward next time, give me a real TMNT beat em up game with local-co-op ala Double Dragon Neon, that game was worth 10 bucks too.

The team that made Double Dragon Neon isn't there anymore; they left to form their own studio and made Shovel Knight.

WF also made a TMNT game for Activision a couple years ago; it's a metroidvania for 3DS (with PS360 up-ports) and it's... a budget game, like every other licensed game Activision puts out.

styl3s

RIP. I guess I dodged a bullet. Was waiting for more impressions anyway after the initial gameplay started to look questionable.
If it wasn't for Overwatch coming out same day i would of been out $50 :/

Bums me out because as a massive TMNT fan i really want to see it get treated with the same respect as Batman with the Arkham Series. I wish that TMNT/Rocksteady rumor came true :(

From what I can tell, game seems to almost be mimicking the old arcade games. Flashing red bosses, non reacting sponge damage tanks bosses. Hmmmmm.

MattXIII

Yo, I was sooo close to purchasing on PSN, glad I ventured into the OT first. 30fps is a legit surprise.

Will grab in the inevitable PSN sale.

The basic combat system is totally competent and fun. It feels like a Platinum action game; tight, responsive, with the usual slew of Platinum's mechanics and a few new twists. Like Korra it's a little on the mashy side, but totally enjoyable. The new Parry system is probably the highlight; I think you could really dominate if you got a feel for it. If you dumped one of the Ninja Turtles straight into any other Platinum game you'd have a great time.

Unfortunately, the game itself just doesn't hold up its end of the bargain. Imagine trying to play Revengeance, but there are three AI controlled Raidens running around at all times getting in the way, filling the screen with particle effects, and looking pretty much exactly like your Raiden so you regularly lose track of which one you're playing as. There's no way to play as a single turtle; the best you can do is tell them to 'Wait', which just makes them slightly less aggressive, but they'll still fight alongside you. On the rare occasion you get a few moments to yourself, it becomes clear that the game is balanced around having four turtles mashing away at once, because your individual damage output is pretty low.

Mission design and bosses are genuinely trash. Imagine Korra's empty corridors, only instead of just fighting enemies you're doing awful co-op bullshit like slowly carrying a heavy object to a waypoint while your buddies protect you from waves of guys, or holding Circle on an interactable object until a timer ticks down while your buddies protect you from waves of guys. Maybe all four of you will protect a thing from waves of guys, just to spice things up. Bosses are just big damage sponges that hit hard, and when they get to low health they get super aggressive. Forget phases, interesting attack patterns, any other Platinum-ness. Your AI buddies are terrible during these fights, and you only get three Continues per level. Lose them all and you have to start the level all over again.

Anyway, I'm going to drop the difficulty to Easy and at least finish the game. Platinum is my favourite dev, so I tried to stay positive even when the messy-looking gameplay videos started coming out, but so far this game is a big disappointment. I fucking loved Transformers, and I think Korra is at least totally decent, but this game is a real stinker so far.

EDIT - Though, I mean, maybe you'd get something more out of it if you played co-op? I'm just not a multiplayer guy, and I don't even have PS+ at the moment so I can't check, but it couldn't be worse.

Unfortunately, the game itself just doesn't hold up its end of the bargain. Imagine trying to play Revengeance, but there are three AI controlled Raidens running around at all times getting in the way, filling the screen with particle effects, and looking pretty much exactly like your Raiden so you regularly lose track of which one you're playing as. [...]
Bosses are just big damage sponges that hit hard, and when they get to low health they get super aggressive. Your AI buddies are terrible during these fights, and you only get three Continues per level. Lose them all and you have to start the level all over again.

I feared that it was pretty much built to be played online only since the first gameplay was shown. Apart from the 4 turtles, the bosses pretty much looked like online raids.
What a shame. I really like the art direction and what the story trailer teased. But I can't be bothered to get a game meant mostly for online coop.

Top Bottom