• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan |OT| Heroes in a Bargain Bin

RPGCrazied

k, just finished it. Probably 3-4 hours all up. It caught me by surprise doing the DMC3 thing where you have to fight enemies while the credits roll :p

All said and done, I really wouldn't recommend the game if you're just looking for a standard Platinum action game. Basic mechanics are solid, but I just didn't find the game enjoyable playing on my own. Bosses are grindy, mission design isn't fun. I've played every Platinum game, and I love them all to varying degrees, but this is the first game of theirs that I'm just not interested in replaying. Hell, I feel like I've already half-replayed it because of all the asset reuse in the main missions.

There aren't any Challenges to unlock after you finish the game. It seems like you pretty much just hunt down collectibles and replay missions on higher difficulties. Transformers was short and repetitive, but that game's combat is far, far deeper than this one's. The Autobots all feel different to play as, there are enough enemies to keep things interesting, the bosses are great; it's a meaty game when you really dig into it. I don't think TMNT has that depth. The turtles all feel much the same (in fact I'd kind of say the other three just feel like inferior versions of Leo), the bosses are all pretty much the same (a couple of the later ones are slightly above mediocre, maybe). There just isn't much to it.

The worst thing is that the game won't really get any better on replays due to the way its designed. You get dumped into a level, then you sit around scratching your butt until April tells you she's found some busywork for you to do (protect a thing, carry a thing to a waypoint, fight guys), then you do it, and repeat until you're allowed to go and fight the boss. This, along with the limited Continues, makes it pretty reminiscent of Madworld, at least in gameplay design. There's no way to just run through the levels to get to the fun stuff, because you're always going to have to do the menial tasks. Oh, but you get Trophies for doing each of them 30 times, though.

So, yeah. I don't know, a couple of the later levels are pretty cool and the writing seemed fairly authentically TMNT-ish (though I'm nowhere near an expert). The art style is nice, but it's the kind of art style that a developer goes with when they're aiming for 60FPS... and this is a 30FPS game. If you're going to be playing it co-op you'll probably have some fun with it. It's not the worst game I've ever played, but it is definitely my least favourite Platinum game. I enjoyed Korra quite a bit more.

Ack. Yeah, going to wait until its $20 or lower before I even think about it. Might just rent it.

Is there something wrong with the save system on xbox one, I have to start the game from scratch each time, wtf? Not only it's a bad gamd, I can't get a refound for it, I tried and now this shit, common!!!

It seems like there was no dev time to actually make like, levels. Oh well. I hope this paid the bills over at platinum for a little while.

Nintendad

Odd that the Achievements aren't live yet on Xbox One. I also keep getting an error with my save not being sent to the cloud.

Decided I'm going to keep my order on PS4, since I have 2 other friends who are gonna get it there as well. We'll see if I dig it or not solo later as I'm sure I'm probably gonna get it first but after hearing the impressions, I'm sorta doubting it.

Still, I guess for $16 it's not bad. Hearing it wasn't done by the Transformers Devastation lead is definitely a blow to me, since I spent tons of hours on that game even if it was short. It was really replayable and fun.

Don't get me wrong, I actually enjoy Korra's basic mechanics and such..but that game was also a pretty cheap affair. This is a full on retail game game so I really expected a lil more than that. But until I have it in my hands all I have are this threads impressions to go by.

rmanthorp

Boy these impressions are ROUGH... I loved TFD and was hyped for this as Turtles are my childhood but everything I'm reading is all I was worried about from the early demos :( I can't believe there is no Challenge Mode from TFD - such a simple addition that ALL PG action games should try to have... such a shame.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Some of these boss battles..its like the boss targets the turtle you're controlling and ignore the rest. I've mastered the "get your shit in and run until the cooldown is over" technique.

And the aftermath of the fights seem..unnecessary.
Everyone survives so far.. and in some cases, they help you out right after the fight.

I don't know what direction the game was trying to head to. Its like they started out trying to do a serious comic book TMNT game but it feels like a cartoon 80s-90s TMNT game.

Should've did a game based on TMNT Fast FOOOOORWARD arc

Odd that the Achievements aren't live yet on Xbox One. I also keep getting an error with my save not being sent to the cloud.
I was wondering why I wasn't getting any achievements. (I'm playing on hard difficulty)

After reading all the great positive impressions, absolutely pumped for this game! It's going to be terrific.

Getting it a little later on and playing co-op on PS4. With some pizza of course!

aF6aay2.gif

Could you direct us all to these positive impressions?

jluedtke

This is probably the best OT I've ever seen. Excellent work!

The game, on the other hand? So disappointing to read these impressions. TMNT + Platinum should = Gold. I'll need to wait until this hits the $20 or less bin. Dammit.

Zeta Oni

Is there something wrong with the save system on xbox one, I have to start the game from scratch each time, wtf? Not only it's a bad gamd, I can't get a refound for it, I tried and now this shit, common!!!

Every time i load the game up it try's to synchronize data from the cloud that does not exist. I can't play the game online at all currently, and I don't know if it saves my progress at all.

Zomba13

That might be the best OT I've seen.

I'm still hyped for this but Might have to put it off for a bit, Overwatch and all that...

Sorry Don and Mikey.

EDIT: Actually, it appears to be £14.99 at GAME. And I hate using GAME but it's the cheapest I've seen and I don't need to play it in 3 hours time so...

How did you manage that?

A lucky string of Bestbuy coupons (Not RZ certs, I didn't waste em on this - planning on using it to get Kirby next month) + GCU.

But I'm fairly sure you can find the steam version of the game for around the same price on regular key sites.

Sanjuro

excellent OT

too bad about the game, "Platinum-made TMNT game" sounds like a home run on paper.

I have no reference to Platinum games. I was skeptical out of the gate, however everyone seemed to be drinking their Kool-aid.

My initial impressions still stand. This game can be a blast online, and the length of the game actuslly assists in this.

Sanjuro is crazy for tortoises.

At least I'm not wearing turtle glasses!

Fady K

TMNT and Platinum sounded like a match made in heaven. Especially After how well Transformers was received. This is heartbreaking.

What the hell is wrong with the xbox one verdion? Did they even tested? Syncing to none existing save, online not working cause only offline mode is working, save is broken, nothing is saving for me and now I can't even start the game cause I keep getting something went wrong message? Not even achievements are up wtf? Sorry guys for the rant guys but I'm really pissed!!!

Paul Gale

If it wasn't for Overwatch coming out same day i would of been out $50 :/

Bums me out because as a massive TMNT fan i really want to see it get treated with the same respect as Batman with the Arkham Series. I wish that TMNT/Rocksteady rumor came true :(

Yeah, that game could have really been incredible and seriously just about the perfect recipe for a modern day TMNT title.

What the hell is wrong with the xbox one verdion? Did they even tested? Syncing to none existing save, online not working cause only offline mode is working, save is broken, nothing is saving for me and now I can't even start the game cause I keep getting something went wrong message? Not even achievements are up wtf? Sorry guys for the rant guys but I'm really pissed!!!

Didn't Transformers also have similar issues on day one? Or was it more twitch streaming than the other things?

Either way, having all that nonsense going on at launch is pretty poor. :\

UncleMeat

Ya, this is concerning. Has anyone been able to play the xbox one version online?

Didn't Transformers also have similar issues on day one? Or was it more twitch streaming than the other things?

Either way, having all that nonsense going on at launch is pretty poor. :\

Holy...shit... yes Transformers Devastation had the same issues at launch on Xbox One and took almost a month to fix.

I can't believe they had this issue again!!!

Superb OT but that impression was bad. 30fps Platinumgames brawler? Repetitive mision and shallow combat. FFS.

I enjoyed Anarchy Reign even If is my less favorite Platinum game. Is this game worst?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Fuckin' Korra/Madworld alumni. That lot just do not get it each and every time.

Time to clone Saito. Solid Saito, Liquid Saito. Make Platinum Great Again.

Zuzzissm0

i feel you

Fuckin' Korra/Madworld alumni. That lot just do not get it each and every time.

Time to clone Saito. Solid Saito, Liquid Saito. Make Platinum Great Again.

Is the Korra team the same as the Madworld team? That explains some things. TMNT's mission design reminds me a lot of Madworld; it's the same "do some busywork in a big level until you're allowed to fight the boss" design. And they both have limited Continues, for some inexplicable reason. I'd say TMNT and Madworld are Platinum's two worst games.

Amazing OT. I regret I won't be able to buy it at launch due to new budget constraints and less time. I will be buying this hopefully in early fall regardless of the price.

Top Bottom