• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan |OT| Heroes in a Bargain Bin

So...I just put up this DF video. Kind of an analysis but also kind of a "lite-review"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzM0pHy7B2s

D3dnCGA.gif

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Platinum starting to lose their luster? Can't believe last gen I as ready to buy everything from them day 1.

Star Fox Zero was heavily flawed, TMNT seems unfinished.

Betting Scale bound will have problems too when it releases I bet.

I know Platinum gotta eat but putting out shovelware like this for scummy publishers like Activision only harms their reputation.

I can't belive that Xbox One bullshit isn't somewhere in the news on gaming sites, people need to know. This and the whole no refund policy on digital games is just pure bullshit, not even broken shit like this. Spent half a day on the phone and chat and nope, no fucking refund.

Great OT.

A little more than halfway through the game and man, I am so glad I rented this from Redbox. It's not a bad game by any means, I'm actually just pretty damn bored. Maybe online co op will be different, as the AI is so brain dead in single player, they just run straight into enemy attacks and get wiped out instantaneously, leaving you running in circles until they revive. I actually didn't need to continue once until the
Wingnut
boss and had my continues eaten up by my shit-for-brains teammates.

Bummer...

Platinum starting to lose their luster? Can't believe last gen I as ready to buy everything from them day 1.

Star Fox Zero was heavily flawed, TMNT seems unfinished.

Betting Scale bound will have problems too when it releases I bet.

I know Platinum gotta eat but putting out shovelware like this for scummy publishers like Activision only harms their reputation.

It's a B team that is making these licensed games sadly and Star Fox Zero isn't really Platinum's entirely if we go on some of the stuff we hear that Miyamoto does now a days.

RS4-

Reading the OT, then reading impressions and that DF video.

From amazing to worse to complete shit show. Unreal.

Lijik

Based on what I can tell, it is locked at 30fps on PC.

I'm really trying to determine this for myself as, well, we just can't justify buying another copy of this shitty game just to see if it has a frame-rate cap.

There are videos of it out there on the PC uploaded at 1080p60 (capped using high-end GFX cards) and they are still 30fps.

Just finished downloading it on steam and can confirm that its locked 30 on pc.

MUnited83

For you.
Holy shit, 30 fps on PC as well? What the flying fuck? What happened with this game's development? Did they change engines or what?

I briefly played this yesterday. It's a lot better than the recent TMNT games Activision has been pooping out lately, but...it's still not as good as it SHOULD be. We deserve an awesome TMNT game dammit. Is it really that hard to make a good one?

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
I briefly played this yesterday. It's a lot better than the recent TMNT games Activision has been pooping out lately, but...it's still not as good as it SHOULD be. We deserve an awesome TMNT game dammit. Is it really that hard to make a good one?
So platinum game rankings are
Bayo 2
Bayo 1
Rising
Vanquish
Madworld
Viewtiful joe
Transformers
Tmnt
Korra

Sanjuro

Why suggest when I can affirm that it's worse than Out of the Shadows. And the 30fps cap on PC is the cherry on top of it all.

FPS is comically irrelevant.

Out of the Shadows had glitches to where you'd fall through the map and couldn't complete levels, and the online was broken. The complaint here is the game is just boring.

Mechazawa

Game begrudgingly refunded. ;_;

I'm hoping someone will come in and pull an RE6 Neiteio and say it's actually secretly amazing, but I'm not holding my breathe.

Bayo 2
Bayo 1
Rising
Vanquish
Madworld
Viewtiful joe
Transformers
Tmnt
Korra

This game is well below Korra from what people are saying. Korra didn't have MMO refresh timers for moves and had a great combat system(once you actually got all elements)

RPGCrazied

As long as Activision holds the rights to make the games, its not going to change honestly.

georly

Bayo 2
Bayo 1
Rising
Vanquish
Madworld
Viewtiful joe
Transformers
Tmnt
Korra

joe is clover tho.

If you're gonna put joe in, you gotta put other clover games in, like god hand and okami.

And joe should be above madworld at the very least, debatably even vanquish depending on your personal taste.

Sanjuro

A 30fps cap on PC is not irrelevant in general not for me anyway because there is literally no excuse for it.

But yes, the game ultimately looks shit anyway so in this instance it is irrelevant like you said.

I get it. I just don't see how comparing the FPS to two different types of games stacks up.

Out of the Shadows was an incomplete release.
This seems to be a capable, but rushed released.

Bayo 2
Bayo 1
Rising
Vanquish
Madworld
Viewtiful joe
Transformers
Tmnt
Korra
I actually like Transformers better than Joe and Madworld. Also Vanquish should be close to top. Bayonetta 2 and Vanquish have been my favorite P* games.

Anyways I rented the games and I will give impressions. I will try to be fair because unlike THPS5, I want to like this.

Buburibon

Out of the Shadows had glitches to where you'd fall through the map and couldn't complete levels, and the online was broken. The complaint here is the game is just boring.

I can't speak about the online portion of OOTS, but I never encountered any bugs or glitches during my playthrough on PC.

In any case, frame rate is most definitely not irrelevant in this case when it's the "final touch" that makes an already subpar, boring experience, even worse. But then again, that's just my opinion.

UncleMeat

Well the online is broken right now on xbox one. Normally I wouldn't sweat it but with how softly they rolled this game out I'm a little worried. And if it ever does get patched any possible community will be long gone if they wait too long.

edit: not saying it's worse than that other game....

Neff

+

The Wonderful 101
Bayonetta
Vanquish
Metal Gear Rising
Transformers Devastation
Bayonetta 2
Star Fox Zero
Anarchy Reigns
The Legend of Korra
MadWorld

-

(I also own Infinite Space but I haven't played it enough to place it)

Holy shit, 30 fps on PC as well? What the flying fuck? What happened with this game's development? Did they change engines or what?

Their engine has always been capped at their target framerate and is somewhat framerate dependent. MGR/Transformers on PC cannot go higher than 60 (their target) and MGR in particular exhibits big problems if you go too low. It just happens that with this game they targeted 30. Perhaps someone can mod out the cap with enough effort but most likely it would exhibit some problems, and even if it did not I doubt Platinum would want to QA it just for PC.

To be honest I assume this is the same reason Vanquish never came to PC despite the obvious demand. I doubt Sega of Europe or whoever contracts it would want to release it with a 30FPS cap and probably don't want to pay to rework it (or... maybe it is being ported right now, a man can dream).

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Honestly after reading the new IDW comics of tmnt, I am way in there that i dont care if the game fails to mert my expectations. I already picked my copy tmnt at gamestop (1 of 3) and got the cool poster too.
Will post impressions soon.

vala

joe is clover tho.

If you're gonna put joe in, you gotta put other clover games in, like god hand and okami.

And joe should be above madworld at the very least, debatably even vanquish depending on your personal taste.

Actually, it was made by Capcom Production Studio 4.

duckroll

Is the Korra team the same as the Madworld team? That explains some things. TMNT's mission design reminds me a lot of Madworld; it's the same "do some busywork in a big level until you're allowed to fight the boss" design. And they both have limited Continues, for some inexplicable reason. I'd say TMNT and Madworld are Platinum's two worst games.

There isn't really a fixed "team" though. A lot of it probably comes down to who the project lead is.

Here are the game design credits for TMNT fwiw:
Director:
Eiro Shirahama (Lead Game Design on Anarchy Reigns, Director on Korra)

Battle Designer:
Takahisa Taura (Lead Game Design on upcoming Nier Automata, Game Designer on Mad World, Anarchy Reigns, Wonderful 101, Metal Gear Rising, and Korra)

Game Designers:
Sota Kotajima (Game Design on Korra)
Hiroshi Shibata (Lead Game Design on Okami, Bayonetta, Wonderful 101, Transformers)
Yuto Abe (Game Design on Bayonetta 2, Transformers)
Mari Fujita (Game Design on Transformers)
Shinji Iwase (New?)

In comparison here are the game design credits for....

Transformers:
Director:
Kenji Saito

Lead Game Designer:
Hiroshi Shibata

Game Designers:
Yuto Abe
Mari Fujita

Korra:
Director:
Eiro Shirahama

Game Design Lead:
Isao Negishi

Game Design:
Takahisa Taura
Sota Kotajima

Metal Gear Rising:

Director:
Kenji Saito

Game Designers:
Takahisa Taura
Junichi Oka
Takanori Satou
Taku Saito
Tomoyuki Hayashi
Akiteru Naka

Bayonetta 2:

Director:
Yusuke Hashimoto

Game Design:
Hirono Sato
Junichi Oka
Akiteru Naka
Kenji Saito
Eiro Shirahama
Teruaki Konishi
Ryoya Sakabe
Yuto Abe

Feeroper

I have this pre-ordered and was not able to take my lunch at work today where I would have gone to pick it up normally - now I see these reactions.

I so badly wanted this game to be good, but this isn't really helping. Even okay would be fine, I don't even care about 30fps, but it doesn't look graphically intensive. I was bummed no couch co-op when that was confirmed, but now finding out its only 3 hours, and the combat is not even that good? Aw man, I really wanted something at least serviceable. I was hoping for something akin to the old arcade game and Turtles in Time.

I wont lie, I'm still tempted, in hopes Ill be able to find something redeeming here. Is it comparable at all to the old arcade game? Technically those games were over in a couple of hours and were repetitive as well. I may still pick this up, but I feel like in the back of my mind there has been a nagging doubt placed. I have until the end of the work day to make up my mind.

Lijik

Played the tutorial solo and the bebop level online with 2 other players. I really like how the movement feels and at least in the bebop level, the pacing for the various events was pretty zippy which can make or break the madworld template for me. I didnt care for Anarchy Reigns' singleplayer because the downtime between things was just too long compared to Madworld. Dont know how the other levels are gonna shake out on that front.

The simplistic combat was really noticable during the bebop fight. The seven health bars was just too much for how simple his patterns were. Felt more like a war of attrition than a satisfying fight. The biggest bummer of what little Ive played so far.

Other than being 30fps im digging the presentation. The music is really jazzy and the writing is fun.

Overall its left a better first impression than the Korra game, but I also seem to like the basic madworld formula more than most of Gaf. I suspect sticking with mutliplayer is the way to go based on impressions. Might replay the stage ive played solo just to compare

Llyranor

Okay, I played through the first level on hard.

First off, I request a Steam refund because I will not accept 30fps for a character action game on PC.

Second, the complaints people have mentioned beforehand are mostly true, but the game is actually kind of fun.

The combat mechanics are solid. It still feels like the Platinum groundwork is there. Combos are simple but work, dodge offset is in (but not that important), and I quite like the defensive options. Tapping RT is dodge (and you can perfect dodge if you time it right). Holding RT makes you go in a defensive spin on your shell, in which you can move and gain some evasive properties. Releasing RT at the right time = parry. I'm not sure about the exact workings of this yet, but (according to the move list) holding RT = block. It seems to work in that shell-spinning while inside an explosion area or Bebop's lasers neutralizes the attack. I think the parry would stun the enemy a bit, then? I haven't experimented with it enough, as it IS very chaotic with 4 turtles. I also like how if you can only dodge or shell-spin so much before you get dizzy, to discourage spamming it. Overall, these mechanics work well, and in a better game this would be pretty nice.

The level itself is just an empty 'open world' where they give you boring mmo-esque 'missions'. I mean, it's just an excuse to get into fights, I guess, but this part seems pretty unimpressive/mediocre.

The Bebop fight was actually a lot of fun. Playing on hard, most of his attacks would knock me out in 1-hit, so the fight was a lot about avoiding/mitigating damage properly while trying to dish out your own as quickly as possible (that meant switching between turtles often to maximize Ninjutsu attacks). He'd have large area attacks (lasers, bombs), but the defensive moves you get let you avoid these fairly nicely.

The problem is that this seems to be made mostly for 4p online coop. The AI seems serviceable-ish, but when 3/4 out of your team is out of your control, it makes the continue system annoying. If you go down, your teammates have 3 secs to get to you and revive. If you die before then, you have to play a pizza-eating minigame to get back into the fight. If all turtles die, you can use a continue. The AI is good at quickly trying to revive you, but is bad at self-preservation. Sometimes all 3 of them will go down in one explosion.If you deplete your 3 continues, it's back to the beginning of the level. This seems tailor-made for multiplayer (the yawntastic open-world design/missions seem to support this), even more so because of the suicidal AI

So, I didn't actually beat Bebop. I shaved off 8 of his 9 hp bars, and brought him down to his last legs (he was glowing red in a berserk state) when I used my last continue. So, I'd have to restart the level. Without the continue system, I'd just jump back into the beginning of the boss fight like in other Platinum games, but here you start all over, as in an arcade game. I'm fine with that system for a multiplayer game, but it's a tad annoying for singleplayer. I can see why a few GAFer felt like they needed to play it on easy 'just to finish it'. I don't have that inclination (nor do I see the point), though, playing on hard was good fun and I don't feel like the boss was too meatgrindy. You do damage pretty fast when all 4 turtles are together.

But, I requested a refund because there is just no justification for 30fps here. I'll get it on a Steam sale later on when I can convince 3 online buddies to tag along, because it feels like that's how the game would be at its most fun.

I'm a huge Platinum character action game fan, and this is worth a Steam sale at most for me.

Top Bottom