• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan |OT| Heroes in a Bargain Bin

Zomba13

k, just finished it. Probably 3-4 hours all up. It caught me by surprise doing the DMC3 thing where you have to fight enemies while the credits roll :p

All said and done, I really wouldn't recommend the game if you're just looking for a standard Platinum action game. Basic mechanics are solid, but I just didn't find the game enjoyable playing on my own. Bosses are grindy, mission design isn't fun. I've played every Platinum game, and I love them all to varying degrees, but this is the first game of theirs that I'm just not interested in replaying. Hell, I feel like I've already half-replayed it because of all the asset reuse in the main missions.

There aren't any Challenges to unlock after you finish the game. It seems like you pretty much just hunt down collectibles and replay missions on higher difficulties. Transformers was short and repetitive, but that game's combat is far, far deeper than this one's. The Autobots all feel different to play as, there are enough enemies to keep things interesting, the bosses are great; it's a meaty game when you really dig into it. I don't think TMNT has that depth. The turtles all feel much the same (in fact I'd kind of say the other three just feel like inferior versions of Leo), the bosses are all pretty much the same (a couple of the later ones are slightly above mediocre, maybe). There just isn't much to it.

The worst thing is that the game won't really get any better on replays due to the way its designed. You get dumped into a level, then you sit around scratching your butt until April tells you she's found some busywork for you to do (protect a thing, carry a thing to a waypoint, fight guys), then you do it, and repeat until you're allowed to go and fight the boss. This, along with the limited Continues, makes it pretty reminiscent of Madworld, at least in gameplay design. There's no way to just run through the levels to get to the fun stuff, because you're always going to have to do the menial tasks. Oh, but you get Trophies for doing each of them 30 times, though.

So, yeah. I don't know, a couple of the later levels are pretty cool and the writing seemed fairly authentically TMNT-ish (though I'm nowhere near an expert). The art style is nice, but it's the kind of art style that a developer goes with when they're aiming for 60FPS... and this is a 30FPS game. If you're going to be playing it co-op you'll probably have some fun with it. It's not the worst game I've ever played, but it is definitely my least favourite Platinum game. I enjoyed Korra quite a bit more.

Decided to cancel the £14.99 GAME order. Might get it if it goes on sale below that in the future. I really liked Transformers so was hoping for another one of those. Where, yeah, it was short and had a lot of asset reuse but the combat was great and there were the different abilities on the autobots and the different weapons and the challenges and the loot stuff. I liked Korra and it was fine for a cheaper, budget action game but to hear this compared to Madworld which I never really liked the structure of. Yeah, I'll just wait for a sale or something.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Is the Korra team the same as the Madworld team? That explains some things. TMNT's mission design reminds me a lot of Madworld; it's the same "do some busywork in a big level until you're allowed to fight the boss" design. And they both have limited Continues, for some inexplicable reason. I'd say TMNT and Madworld are Platinum's two worst games.

As someone in the other thread said, there probably aren't whole 'teams' that stay locked together, but you can definitely tell when the "not as good" lot get mixed into a project and as you say remind you of the worst Platinum games (Korra, Madworld). Looks like they all made it onto this one :(

I started to have a bad feeling about this game as soon as I saw the dull freerun open levels with April constantly yammering in your ear. The fight against Beebop didn't look very good either. I may still pick it up from the bargain bin at some point but after these impressions I'm glad I didn't preorder.

As much as we can blame the Korra team I think these low budget games are starting to wear thin on Platinum. I can believe the Korra team can put out some quality if they were given more time and a budget.

k, just finished it. Probably 3-4 hours all up. It caught me by surprise doing the DMC3 thing where you have to fight enemies while the credits roll :p

All said and done, I really wouldn't recommend the game if you're just looking for a standard Platinum action game. Basic mechanics are solid, but I just didn't find the game enjoyable playing on my own. Bosses are grindy, mission design isn't fun. I've played every Platinum game, and I love them all to varying degrees, but this is the first game of theirs that I'm just not interested in replaying. Hell, I feel like I've already half-replayed it because of all the asset reuse in the main missions.

There aren't any Challenges to unlock after you finish the game. It seems like you pretty much just hunt down collectibles and replay missions on higher difficulties. Transformers was short and repetitive, but that game's combat is far, far deeper than this one's. The Autobots all feel different to play as, there are enough enemies to keep things interesting, the bosses are great; it's a meaty game when you really dig into it. I don't think TMNT has that depth. The turtles all feel much the same (in fact I'd kind of say the other three just feel like inferior versions of Leo), the bosses are all pretty much the same (a couple of the later ones are slightly above mediocre, maybe). There just isn't much to it.

The worst thing is that the game won't really get any better on replays due to the way its designed. You get dumped into a level, then you sit around scratching your butt until April tells you she's found some busywork for you to do (protect a thing, carry a thing to a waypoint, fight guys), then you do it, and repeat until you're allowed to go and fight the boss. This, along with the limited Continues, makes it pretty reminiscent of Madworld, at least in gameplay design. There's no way to just run through the levels to get to the fun stuff, because you're always going to have to do the menial tasks. Oh, but you get Trophies for doing each of them 30 times, though.

So, yeah. I don't know, a couple of the later levels are pretty cool and the writing seemed fairly authentically TMNT-ish (though I'm nowhere near an expert). The art style is nice, but it's the kind of art style that a developer goes with when they're aiming for 60FPS... and this is a 30FPS game. If you're going to be playing it co-op you'll probably have some fun with it. It's not the worst game I've ever played, but it is definitely my least favourite Platinum game. I enjoyed Korra quite a bit more.

too bad it was too late to cancel yesterday

kitsuneyo

I was excited about this game, but after watching a Twitch stream earlier I think I'm out.

This amazing OT deserved a better game, massive big-ups OP :D

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
As much as we can blame the Korra team I think these low budget games are starting to wear thin on Platinum. I can believe the Korra team can put out some quality if they were given more time and a budget.

I dont really believe Transformers: Devastation was given more budget or time than this. I just think its sadly the gap in capability between what Saito can drag out of a limited time/budget and what the rest of Platinum can. He did it twice now.

These guys got fixated on big open roam maps for whatever reason and AI Turtles with you at all time, while Saito once again drilled down on incredible combat systems and great encounters. From watching footage, I can't even tell if theres any sense of depth to the combat in this Turtles game at all which is crazy.

Llyranor

I dont really believe Transformers: Devastation was given more budget or time than this. I just think its sadly the gap in capability between what Saito can drag out of a limited time/budget and what the rest of Platinum can. He did it twice now.

These guys got fixated on big open roam maps for whatever reason and AI Turtles with you at all time, while Saito once again drilled down on incredible combat systems and great encounters. From watching footage, I can't even tell if theres any sense of depth to the combat in this Turtles game at all which is crazy.

Yeah, this might be true. After all, the exploration/level design in Devastation is nothing to write home about. It's just that the combat is so freaking good that those of us that love it are willing to overlook it.

But even if the combat mechanics are competent, take away good enemy design to take advantage of those mechanics, and the game can fall flat (and then the other flaws become more apparent since there's nothing to salvage the game)

SkylineRKR

Saw a lets play. I expected a take on TMNT arcade with Platinum signature gameplay. But its a slow grindy mess. Protect ATM all over the place, defeat x amount of enemies... its a bit like the Anarchy Reigns and Mad World SP it seems.

This game looks like shit to be honest.

Let me just read these impressions..

4 hour campaign?
Bad level design?
No couch co-op?
Not much character differentiation?

j9wPON9.gif

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
This just ruined my day. Man I was looking forward to this for months :(
I know, I was too. The only reason we covered it at all was due to buying the game since Activision would not send any review codes. :(

Was really hoping for the best (at least better than Korra) but it's actually worse. I do think it's far and away the worst game Platinum has made.

jtrov

Anyone on Xbox One able to get online to work? Can't create a session, find a session, or anything...

Game definitely feels rough and structured quite differently, but I'm having a fun time so far. I've been enjoying the hell out of running on roof tops, grinding on cable wires and diving into a group of Foot Clan soldiers. Trying to play on hard has been uneven so far since some objectives just seem ridiculous if you haven't aquired any upgrades or playing solo. Bomb difusal with unlimited spear foot clan members was a pain in the ass for instance. And yoooo wtf those foot clan soldiers run at Sonic levels of speed with those money bags lol.

Game has some nice charm to it, but it just doesn't have the polish to make everything feel cohesive and tight. I've been having fun treating it like The Warriors, semi open world with the ability to just kick ass at will, but that's really it. I feel like I would be able to have such a better time if I could get online to work, because it feels ripe to have proper teamwork at times instead of hoping the cpu joins in on the objective.

In spite of the rocky early goings, I'm still enjoying it and the humor and story has the right feel thus far.

dark10x

Not that it matters much but do you know if the game is 60fps on PC?

I will pick it up in the steam sale at Christmas if it does, no way am I paying more than 10 bucks for this though (if I do ever decide to get it that is, which after this I doubt very much I will.)
Based on what I can tell, it is locked at 30fps on PC.

I'm really trying to determine this for myself as, well, we just can't justify buying another copy of this shitty game just to see if it has a frame-rate cap.

There are videos of it out there on the PC uploaded at 1080p60 (capped using high-end GFX cards) and they are still 30fps.

Pie and Beans

Putting a mini-review of the game to the inserted bgm of Turtles In Time is cruel and goes to show that this project clearly lacked the passion of Transformers as well. Was something I feared when the game first unveiled and wasn't completely steeped in 80's nostalgia from the show.

Anyone on Xbox One able to get online to work? Can't create a session, find a session, or anything...

Game definitely feels rough and structured quite differently, but I'm having a fun time so far. I've been enjoying the hell out of running on roof tops, grinding on cable wires and diving into a group of Foot Clan soldiers. Trying to play on hard has been uneven so far since some objectives just seem ridiculous if you haven't aquired any upgrades or playing solo. Bomb difusal with unlimited spear foot clan members was a pain in the ass for instance. And yoooo wtf those foot clan soldiers run at Sonic levels of speed with those money bags lol.

Game has some nice charm to it, but it just doesn't have the polish to make everything feel cohesive and tight. I've been having fun treating it like The Warriors, semi open world with the ability to just kick ass at will, but that's really it. I feel like I would be able to have such a better time if I could get online to work, because it feels ripe to have proper teamwork at times instead of hoping the cpu joins in on the objective.

In spite of the rocky early goings, I'm still enjoying it and the humor and story has the right feel thus far.

No, cause X1 version is broken in general. If you couldn't sync your game to none existing save and you picked offline mode, then online wont work from obvious reasons.

I don't mind game being bad, I've played some terrible shit and got enjoyment out of it, but the fact the X1 version is so broken prevents me from playing the game.

prag16

Banned
30fps on PC? "Protect the ATM"??

Watching these videos makes me recoil in disgust, and wish Turtles in Time Reshelled was still available.

A lot of people would probably be down for a new Turtles game. I don't think this is the game that anybody was asking for though.

I'm really trying to determine this for myself as, well, we just can't justify buying another copy of this shitty game just to see if it has a frame-rate cap.

There are videos of it out there on the PC uploaded at 1080p60 (capped using high-end GFX cards) and they are still 30fps.

Jeeeeesus, this is getting worse all the time.

Watching these videos makes me recoil in disgust, and wish Turtles in Time Reshelled was still available.

A lot of people would probably be down for a new Turtles game. I don't think this is the game that anybody was asking for though.

So many people at the time hated that remake but I thought it was pretty good. Not as good as the original but good enough.

Coolade

Could this have just been a rush job to release the game in time for the movie release on June 3rd? It's the most rational explanation. Activision setting a hard deadline. Mad Max game was released on its own time frame and it was excellent. Hate feeling like TMNT was used as a cash grab. Especially after TMNT: out of the shadows flopped. Sigh.

Sanjuro

30fps on PC? "Protect the ATM"??

Nobody is asking for anything. That is the problem.

Skilletor

wtffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Can't wait for people to once again pretend Transformers was bad too when they trash this and Korra for being low quality budget titles. Environmental variety aside, that game was awesome and focused with proper challenge and aggressive AI

Really bummed this didn't come together, but can't say I'm surprised after the gameplay footage. They nailed the aesthetic but that's about it....

kodecraft

Fuckin' Korra/Madworld alumni. That lot just do not get it each and every time.

Time to clone Saito. Solid Saito, Liquid Saito. Make Platinum Great Again.

Korra and Madworld did NOT have the same team. Some of the Madworld team left Platinum to go with Mikami over to Tango.

Plus like I've said before I want the Rocksteady TMNT, I understand this was a budget game, but even if it wasn't I don't think a Platinum TMNT would ever be better or more fitting than a Rocksteady TMNT.

I wonder if there were Deadpool style budget cuts during development. Shirahama's clearly not a good Director but it shouldn't have been this bad.

Kinda crazy a Platinum TMNT game comes in a dud. I just finished that Transformers game finally and really enjoyed the hell out of it despite the not great environments.

dark10x

Playing the awesome music over the top of this game kinda made it appealing to me.... DAMMIT PLATINUM WHY :(
Heh, I loaded up TMNT4 on my Super Famicom for capture and, man, I was grinning as soon as the game started. It's still fun and the music adds so much. I had so much more fun capturing TMNT4 for 15 minutes than all of my time with Mutants in Manhattan.

Karak

Can't wait for people to once again pretend Transformers was bad too when they trash this and Korra for being low quality budget titles. Environmental variety aside, that game was awesome and focused with proper challenge and aggressive AI

Really bummed this didn't come together, but can't say I'm surprised after the gameplay footage. They nailed the aesthetic but that's about it....

Or people just didn't like it as much as you.

Tain

Is the Korra team the same as the Madworld team? That explains some things. TMNT's mission design reminds me a lot of Madworld; it's the same "do some busywork in a big level until you're allowed to fight the boss" design. And they both have limited Continues, for some inexplicable reason. I'd say TMNT and Madworld are Platinum's two worst games.

Limited continues would be dope... in a good Platinum game.

This is sounding like such a bummer.

OT of the year, here's hoping the game is in the same vein. No local co-op killed my day one interest, but if reviews are good I'll get it soon.

These impressions are leaving me upset. Seems like this is their B team. TMNT is an IP that needs to be developed by the Bayonetta team, all they had to do really was just reskin Bayonetta and have all 4 turtles playable on the fly....that is all I want from a modern TMNT game.

Guh, impressions just keep on getting worse.

Guess I'll wait for my copy to arrive and return it to Best Buy tomorrow. Put my reward zone certs toward KOF XIV or something.

At least I still have Transformers Devastation to finish.

Zeta Oni

I can't imagine how I would be feeling if I paid 40 for this.

The entire multiplayer flat out doesn't work on Xbox, because the only way to play the game is offline due to these cloud shenanigans.

That's a whole 3 bucks down the drain for me, since I used redbox. But the whole reason I redboxed it was to see if the multi was any good, so I'm still kinda bummed out.

If the community for this game was not DOA already, it is now on Xbox one at least.

Weird, Platinum's combo system seems tailor made for a Ninja Turtles game. I mean witch time would fit way better in a Turtles game in a Transformers game (although they managed to put it in Devastation with no hitches). Transformers was so damn good, shit.

Top Bottom