• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TEH FIANAL LOVDOWN. shufflemoveto the infooplace!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fuck me I only had a quick nap in preperation for tonight...

Just read through from where I left off this morning..

mother-of-god-meme33u6i.jpg

bebop242

PS3 - $599 PS3 was almost a dead system but Sony did a great job at re-branding the system. No one fell for Cell or the RSX. Everyone saw Sony as arrogant thinking it will be a huge success regardless the price.

Wii U - How do you go from 100mil to a complete flop? Gamers want a next gen system with next gen games. Nintendo went for the casual crowd and they didn't bite either

Vita- Great system, complete flop. Why? who knows, I assume it's the price and the stupid memory cards. Plus Sony is doing a horrible job at marketing. Where's the games?

and if you want to get old school just look at the 32x, SEGA CD, Jaguar, Saturn, Virtual boy, etc etc

Well, when you said they don't fall for bullshit, I was thinking more in terms of anti-consumer stuff.

nbthedude

oh shit.

now to translate

You left out the most important stuff:

1. aAll praisee neogaf

1. Accolades implying but not confirming deified status to the Neogaf community for their communal support.

2. athanku alLL doubtersn ivirals, youre bitter tearzr are my bidet

2. The expressions of sorrow by those who lack faith in the veracity of CBOAT's statements will be used by CBOAT to wash defecation from his backside. He enjoys having a clean backside and therefore he would like to thank those who do not believe in his staments for supply him with free hygiene products.

3. be nice to mrajor nelson, he has ijob to do. like al snow

3. Major Nelson is like an affable muscular guy in spandex putting on a show. Be nice to him. Spandex can chaff.

4. my balls, my wordd

4. CBOAT's testicles are the substantial representation of his gender identity and procreative capability. They are important to him. However, his linguistic expression also represents a potent social force and is therefore also something he values highly.

mclem

Wii U - How do you go from 100mil to a complete flop? Gamers want a next gen system with next gen games. Nintendo went for the casual crowd and they didn't bite either

The question there is if they're willing to pay a 'next gen price'.

And I'm not talking strictly monetary.

Poona

Now I'm going to be nervous as hell during every game reveal hoping to not hear the words "exclusive to XB1". If they get ME2, DR3, and PoP, they got me :(. The last two are in my top 10 IP.

There is no game they could release that would make me buy the system if they force everyone to pay for their stupid paywall even in single player games.

I'll just go with Sony/PC/Nintendo or keep playing 360.

Surely the wider public would not stand for it either? Just ridiculous. Bad enough being always online, but imagine some kid wanting to play his single player game and then ends up crying to his parents because he can't play it anymore as the fee to be able to play his purchased games hasn't been paid. Utterly horrible. It'd have those who work in EB/GameStop, etc being abused as the games people bought from them are no longer able to play.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
PS3 - $599 PS3 was almost a dead system but Sony did a great job at re-branding the system. No one fell for Cell or the RSX. Everyone saw Sony as arrogant thinking it will be a huge success regardless the price.

Vita- Great system, complete flop. Why? who knows, I assume it's the price and the stupid memory cards. Plus Sony is doing a horrible job at marketing. Where's the games?

and if you want to get old school just look at the 32x, SEGA CD, Jaguar, Saturn, Virtual boy, etc etc

all this shows is that companies don't learn from success, only failure

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
mrklaw said:
sure, but havne't they been trying to do this for a decade? Web TV for instance, remember that?

Yep, but this way is much more subtle. Maybe I'm just a bit dim (!) but I hadn't really grasped the enormity of the possibilities a device like xbone offers to them in this regard.

I feel like the games aspect is just a Trojan Horse for their larger ambitions in a very concrete and real sense. Its just one form of content within a much more expansive monetization strategy.

Durante

Think about the big picture guys:

"Owning" the living rooms of America is not just about putting a box servicing their products in every household.

Its about establishing themselves as gate-keeper ahead of all other services, both gaming and entertainment, so that everything is funnelled through their system.

Xbone is pitched as a convergence device, when its actually the perfect choke-point to exert control over all their competitors. Xbone sits ahead of the cable providers boxes, it doesn't filter through them, they pass their product through it. So if they want to mux in system messages or advertising, what's stopping them?

In a broad programming sense they also get to prioritize their offerings in a preferential way over whatever is being fed via the HDMI-in. Given how critical visibility is in these sort of services thats another hefty advantage they get to keep for themselves.

Gaming is just a piece of the pie. This is so much bigger than just that, its actually pretty brilliant in a Machiavellian sort-of-way.
Exactly. Every bone-headed anti-consumer decision MS has made over the past few years has the same underlying reason: they saw the profit Apple makes on iOS app sales and want that, on everything. So they introduce a new, incompatible user experience on PC for which the only way to get applications is their own store, they try to expand this to locked up phones and tablets, and they lock down distribution and re-distribution of content on their console even harder than usual in this space.

This is the endgame of software as a service. RMS has warned us about this for years.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

The reason Vita is a flop seems pretty obvious to me: it is designed for a market that does not exist.

roddur

For some people the next Halo is apparently more important than their consumer rights.

in my workplace one person is really interested about getting xbone. i told him about the rumors. still he preferes it because of xbox live where he doesn't have to wait for COD maps longer.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Well, when you said they don't fall for bullshit, I was thinking more in terms of anti-consumer stuff.

Divix is a dead on apples to apples and the public told them to get bent. People take physical ownership serious in the US at least. Try and tell someone what they can and can't do with physical property and it does not turn out well.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yet again for every Kinect 1.0 there is W8/WP7/8/Kin/Zune. MS has not been able to buy its way to success in a while.

Zune? That service where you got to download music for free each month, but could only keep it as long as you had a paid subscription? :p

There's no way this Gold thing is true. That would be worse than anyone could have ever imagined. What are they thinking?

Subsidized console, throw some offers, the NFL thing and the rest and don't forget the fact that millions and millions of people pays already for Gold = this may sell like hotcakes.

Liamario

Banned
I can believe the XBLG rumour for one reason:-

How surprising would it be if MS said that there was no longer a silver membership?
With no silver membership, how else could your console always be online, except with a gold membership...

kick51

Banned
The reason Vita is a flop seems pretty obvious to me: it is designed for a market that does not exist.

The market that wants a system with no games?

If they actually release compelling stuff for it, it'll pick up in sales, just like any system.

There's a lot to blame on the Vita's current state before saying nobody would buy it in the first place (which is just patently false. Anyone who tries it knows it's great hardware.)

Corto

what a shit post. the red ring thing was an unfortunate production issue. It was sucky, but not some dirty asshole manoeuvre by MS.

It absolutely was a dirty asshole planned maneuver by Microsoft. They knew the console had hardware problems that would result in early failure. They made the critical decision to go ahead with a early release to beat Sony to the start as the benefits (they hoped) would outweigh the drawbacks nonetheless.

http://venturebeat.com/2008/09/05/x...istory-of-microsofts-video-game-console-woes/

Subsidized console, throw some offers, the NFL thing and the rest and don't forget the fact that millions and millions of people pays already for Gold = this may sell like hotcakes.

millions pay for gold, but iirc there are about 30 million xboxes that don't use it. nearly half their install base. This is potentially suicide.

velociraptor

I can believe the XBLG rumour for one reason:-

How surprising would it be if MS said that there was no longer a silver membership?
With no silver membership, how else could your console always be online, except with a gold membership...
You can still access some online services with Xbox Silver, such as a marketplace for demos.

You just can't play online games or use Netflix etc.

Liamario

Banned
in my workplace one person is really interested about getting xbone. i told him about the rumors. still he preferes it because of xbox live where he doesn't have to wait for COD maps longer.

I hope you'd slapped him round the back of the head?!

Liamario

Banned
You can still access some online services with Xbox Silver, such as a marketplace for demos.

You just can't play online games or use Netflix etc.

Yes, but what if they get rid of silver completely, while making the console online only and not just for DRM checks!

Zeroth

I hope for everyone"s sake that he is not a representation of most people.

Tamanon

Banned
I dunno, needing Gold to play even your offline games seems a touch too far for them. It would only make sense if the games were free, not if you've paid for them.

so am i correct in thinking that one cannot play games on the xbox one without gold? if so, dafuq?

we don't know that yet. there are a couple of rumors that suggest ms is combining features found in PS plus and xblg, suggesting at least some titles may not play without an active sub.

this one seems to be snowballing like crazy, I don't think we will see gold required for literally everything.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
If gold is required, then they'll probably just go subsidized console only. Drop it at $250 with 2 years gold required. They win. We lose.

Someone explain to me why we're taking these scoops seriously? Not trolling, I just don't know why we trust this CBOAT guy.
Why don't you read the thread?

Dead Man

You left out the most important stuff:

1. Accolades implying but not confirming deified status to the Neogaf community for their communal support.

2. The expressions of sorrow by those who lack faith in the veracity of CBOAT's statements will be used by CBOAT to wash defecation from his backside. He enjoys having a clean backside and therefore he would like to thank those who do not believe in his staments for supply him with free hygiene products.

3. Major Nelson is like an affable muscular guy in spandex putting on a show. Be nice to him. Spandex can chaff.

4. CBOAT's testicles are the substantial representation of his gender identity and procreative capability. They are important to him. However, his linguistic expression also represents a potent social force and is therefore also something he values highly.
LOL, perfect translation!

Someone explain to me why we're taking these scoops seriously? Not trolling, I just don't know why we trust this CBOAT guy.

Pretty solid history.

how much are you willing to pay to give up certain rights and freedoms?

To be fair, PC gamers sacrificed some rights in exchange for lower prices. Same for MP3s and digital movies.

It's not like the exchange is unprecedented by any means. It's just terrible to see it infect the console market and in the way MS is attempting to do it is just disgusting.

Lakitu

st5fu
I read the OP just now, got the jist of it but I'm not going to read another 48 pages. Can anyone summarise anything else please?

bebop242

If gold is required, then they'll probably just go subsidized console only. Drop it at $250 with 2 years gold required. They win. We lose.

Whats the point of requiring 2 years of gold service if you would need gold to play any games anyway. No one is going to pay 250 for just a blu ray/dvd player.

quest

Not Banned from OT

Actually it be 249.99 and 2-8 years of gold depending on how long the generation is. They would basically have anyone sucked in after the 2 years because their games would not work with out that monthly fee. That is brilliant and completely evil at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom