• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TEH FIANAL LOVDOWN. shufflemoveto the infooplace!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it insane for them to completely drop the free tier and instead take the most profitable aspect of Xbox to a wider audience and justify it by adding a enormous amount of new features? Not necessarily. Could MS have seen the popularity of PS+ and the subscription service being necessary to keep your games as a brilliant addition to the next XBLG and reason that with all these new exciting features they are announcing the public will embrace it.

Yes I can believe that.

dose

XBL gold to maintain licences of games bought at retail? If this isn't a troll, Microsoft is desperately out of touch and will lose the gen.
So bring out the console cheap but make people pay $60+ a year so they can play their games? Ouch.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
There is absolutely NO way that those games tied to Gold rumor has any credence to it. I know we all thought that about always online, but this is a new level of insanity.

It's plausible considering it's in reference to a subsidised purchase. As a general policy, however, sure, it's legal suicide.

Edit: I may be misunderstanding. Is the rumour that Microsoft will offer a subsidised purchase of an X1 with the caveat that ongoing access your library is tied to your XBLG subscription, with this being an option in addition to a full-price purchase at retail, or is it that Microsoft is introducing the aforementioned policy across the board in an attempt to keep the price of the console down in general?

Xbone is going to be Hindenburg'd faster than you'll see it coming. People running Xbox are clueless. This sort of a consumer ripoff and backstabbing with no PS4 stuff moneyhats is unheard of in gaming.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah. I normally don't post stuff unless I am hearing it from a lot of sources but this is only coming from one direction. I would take it with a grain of salt, no point in hating on MS for something not confirmed but I know for a fact CBOAT has access to a lot more information and he knows there is a slice of further crap that hasn't been added to this shite pie yet.

Could this be what he was referencing? Possibly but no one is telling me yes.

Too afraid of losing their jobs?

I'm curious to know what will transpire when journos inevitably ask about a PS4 version. Omitting info is one thing, but lying would be a whole new ball game.

"We're not discussing that at this time"?

Yep, or "we are only talking about XBO at this time, let's move on to another question". This happened with a couple of games last generation. SO4, Mass Effect 2, and Bioshock come to mind.

Zeth

I don't understand the coded language anymore. I've heard the reasoning, but it doesn't seem to hold up when it's instantly translated to succinct [crawlable] language several times over as soon as it's posted.

Karak

Is it insane for them to completely drop the free tier and instead take the most profitable aspect of Xbox to a wider audience and justify it by adding a enormous amount of new features? Not necessarily. Could MS have seen the popularity of PS+ and the subscription service being necessary to keep your games as a brilliant addition to the next XBLG and reason that with all these new exciting features they are announcing the public will embrace it.

Yes I can believe that.

Still doesn't make it right in my mind:(

Luigiv

There's around 40-45 mil Live accounts total, between silver and gold. Around 25 mil are gold, IIRC.

That can't be right. That would give the X360 a connection rate of only 58%. Even considering repeat buyers, that sounds way too low. You sure your figures are up to date?

Edit: Also put me #TeamBS. Free silver accounts are already a thing that exist so there's no need for this restriction.

Salaadin

Theres no way thats true. Thats so unbelievable. Id be floored if this ended up being the case.

It reminds me of the beginning of current gen when Sony sent out those fliers to justify the PS3 price. They compared the PS3 to the 360 and included XBL Gold there in the price for the 360 to make it seem like it was 50.00 more than it really was. If XBO requires XBL Gold to play...then it actually is more expensive than it seems.

Lakitu

st5fu
Would this be something MS announce during the conference though? It would be suicidal. Well, I guess it would be if it were true, no matter where they announced it.

I don't understand the coded language anymore. I've heard the reasoning, but it doesn't seem to hold up when it's instantly translated to succinct [crawlable] language several times over as soon as it's posted.

It's to hide a personal online writing style. If you went through my post history, which is only 65 posts, you'd probably notice certain structures and phrases that I use a lot and be able to pick me out on another message board.

It also means that no one will quote his posts as a direct source for media/press coverage.

Xater

People can be recognized by the style they write in. This way he/she is on the safe side.

"Be nice to Major Nelson"

I feel for this guy. I understand he's drinking the MS rite aid and all and he seems like a decent guy. But, he's just doing his job.

I wonder how he really feels about all the fallout if you could catch him off the record.

hesido

what a shit post. the red ring thing was an unfortunate production issue. It was sucky, but not some dirty asshole manoeuvre by MS.

The post does not really imply it was intention to have RROD, it just showed MS how much they can get away with, once you are tied to their system.

mjontrix

Would this be something MS announce during the conference though? It would be suicidal. Well, I guess it would be if it were true, no matter where they announced it.

I'm guessing they're only mentioning games today, the cloud and tv integrated into gaming. They're staying far far away from any Questions and Answers

nomis

Too afraid of losing their jobs?

Well...

ONE drm tos plans iws worse than you know. asmnow btw but I can;t get cororobating proof frrorm my fpeoples. theyr sadcared for jobs.

I have a feeling the "Be nice to Larry" message is because once this bomb drops, twitter is going to crash from the amount of hate lobbed at him, personally undeserved as it is.

That can't be right. That would give the X360 a connection rate of only 58%. Even considering repeat buyers, that sounds way too low. You sure your figures are up to date?

blertydcqaamgkfffy41.jpg

bebop242

probably counting multiple accounts on a single system. When I had my 360, we had 3 accounts, but only one Live Gold.

kingocfs

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Yes I can believe that.

All I could see when I tried reading that. What would they have to lose by doing it? Maybe even drop the price of Gold and add a Platinum tier that follows the PS+ model.

Could MS have seen the popularity of PS+ and the subscription service being necessary to keep your games as a brilliant addition to the next XBLG and reason that with all these new exciting features they are announcing the public will embrace it.

Yes I can believe that.
If that's the take-away Microsoft got when they look at PS+ then they really have lost it.

"Look people are paying a subscription to keep their games."

Ignoring that the subscription is what gives them the "free" games in the first place, and that the subscriber keeps anything they actually purchase even without a subscription.

The only thing that would be the same between PS+ and what's being described is that both require a subscription.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Well...

I have a feeling the "Be nice to Larry" message is because once this bomb drops, twitter is going to crash from the amount of hate lobbed at him, personally undeserved as it is.

Indeed.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yeah I think the Xbox One having all this DRM and features that have nothing to do with gaming is Microsoft going after their real competitors Apple, and Google. Both have similar functions out or coming out with Apple TV and such. Sony is their game competitor but Microsoft is trying to use their reputation and home familiarity with the Xbox brand to get a leg up on Google and Apple.

Probably.

It's odd really. Sony should be in a good position to try this, with actually making TVs. I'd consider buying a Bravia if it enabled me to merge signals from a PS4 and my STB in a meaningful way.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Yes I can believe that.

But PS+ isn't a mandatory feature on PS3

speedline

Banned
MS paying developers to not reveal a PS4 version of their game is probably the lowest shit I have ever seen. Are you that fucking desperate MS?

If I where Sony I would be in an uproar over that, might even charge them more to put PS4 games and cut their profits if they want to be on the #1 console next gen. Pulling that kind of stunt seems classic for Microsoft, but I'd be damned pissed at the developers for selling me out if I were Sony.

mclem

I remember when companies used to set out to make a really good, appealing product. Then people would buy that product and the company would get rich.

What happened?

They started to spend more making a good, appealing product than people were willing to spend to buy a good, appealing product. So they started making it less appealing and started looking for ways to get people to pay more.

In the end, this happened.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
MS paying developers to not reveal a PS4 version of their game is probably the lowest shit I have ever seen. Are you that fucking desperate MS?

If I where Sony I would be in an uproar over that, might even charge them more to put PS4 games and cut their profits if they want to be on the #1 console next gen. Pulling that kind of stunt seems classic for Microsoft, but I'd be damned pissed at the developers for selling me out if I were Sony.

This is really not that big of an issue imo. Sony did the same with Assassin's Creed back when PS3 launched. It's shady but it doesn't effect my enjoyment of games.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Probably.

It's odd really. Sony should be in a good position to try this, with actually making TVs. I'd consider buying a Bravia if it enabled me to merge signals from a PS4 and my STB in a meaningful way.
Isn't that kinda what HDMI-CEC (aka Bravia Link) already enables with the newer PS3 models and Bravia TVs? It's not HDMI overlay, but it's fairly seamless switching between the two without messing with separate video inputs.

mjontrix

It's simply business. They get essentially free money to not say anything - people will still buy the game regardless so the publishers aren't complaining

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I can see MS only wanting always-online gold members as their customers since they are more likely to spend money. But, that demographic might not be big enough to support a console.

Brofield

Though my initial instinct would be to do the same, it would hurt them over the long term, and hell even the short term.

If Sony wants to counter the money M$ spent, they need incentives, not threats.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Where is this from? The number of accounts being that low blows my mind, considering how online focused the 360 is.

Yeah but multiple accounts on a single system boost the number hence exasperating my point further.

It should not surprise you at all. There are lots of people with out good broadband. There are lots of parents out there that do not want kids online with console after the whole to catch a predator series on NBC. Some people just don't care about online multi-player or just play single player games.

Shadders

Sony aren't paupers. They could fight money with money if they wanted to. I think they're just trusting the E3 audience to see through Microsoft's silly games.

My guess:

- Gold: Access to online gaming, some sales. Needed to keep playing your games. 10$/€ month.

- Gold+ : Same as gold adding Netflix, NFL and all the other services, + space in the cloud and 1 free game each month. 20$/€ month

- Platinum: Same as Gold+, exclusive betas and demos, 2 free games each month and select one free DLC for the game you want. 30$/€

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
Where is this from? The number of accounts being that low blows my mind, considering how online focused the 360 is.

Wouldn't that also include Windows 8 and GFWL people?

Why bother paying to have devs no mention a PS4 version? They might get more hype today but by the time everything launches we'll know what's up.

The people who pay attention to E3 will see through this, and the ones that don't won't know or care.

hidys

Yes I can believe that.

This just seems to crazy... I would have been able to live with the other stuff, but this is a bridge to far and I ca say that unless there is some sort of miracle game on this system, I will not buy one.

zon

Sony aren't paupers. They could fight money with money if they wanted to. I think they're just trusting the E3 audience to see through Microsoft's silly games.

Not in the long run. They could do that for a while but not for as long as MS can, not by a long shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom