• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 7: How the fuck do they all understand each other?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Lol. I hadn't played a Tekken since 3 and just assumed the different language voice acting was because I bought my Steam key from CD Keys and must have gotten the Japanese version or something.

Izuna

Banned
Lol. I hadn't played a Tekken since 3 and just assumed the different language voice acting was because I bought my Steam key from CD Keys and must have gotten the Japanese version or something.

You thought every character spoke Japanese?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
You thought every character spoke Japanese?

No. I thought they just didn't dub the Japanese characters into English (and just subtitled them), but hired English speaking actors for those characters or something.

Granted it was a passing thought as I just quickly blew through story mode and went on.

RedAssedApe

Banned
How do you play video games or get immersed in anything if you can't suspend disbelief over this? There are much crazier things in this game lol

sub_o

No they don't understand each other, that's why they ended up fighting all the time.
It's a huge misunderstanding!

Nyoro SF

It's supposed to be that way for fun. I really enjoy all the different languages. Just assume that everyone in Tekken is multilingual. :p

Dunno, don't care. Love that they do this.

It's been like that for years. Since Tekken 5 at least, can't remember before then.

Anyone who wasn't Japanese, Korean, or Chinese, with some exceptions, spoke english in 5. It wasn't until Tag 2 that they had all the characters speak in their native language.

I love that someone in the Tekken Universe learned the jaguar language and that King never breaks character, he even growls in pain in Jaguar.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
I Love it.

Hearing characters in there native language is pretty cool, and i don't really see how its 'immerison' breaking when Tekken story is literally the dumbest thing ever, as it should be because i love it like that.

More like stay away from the Mishima family.

And Volcanoes

mas8705

Either all characters can understand all languages, or perhaps in the world of Tekken, they have little subtitles that appear when someone talks so that they can see exactly what the other person is saying.

And considering how much nonsense that is thrown into this series, I wouldn't be shocked if subtitles actually did exist on top of everything else.

Shifty

And considering how much nonsense that is thrown into this series, I wouldn't be shocked if subtitles actually did exist on top of everything else.

Please be excited for Zaibatsu brand Augmented Reality Contact Lenses. Available from your local retailer.

In a game where you have: devil people, sentient wood fighters, waifu androids, vampires, energy blasts, angels, sword wielding ninja robot squid monster and the ability to juggle the human body with a punch etc, people understanding each other's language isn't that far fetched.

poodaddy

Yes, the same way you believe a teenage girl with 0 muscle definition can knock out a 200 lb wrestler built like Mike Tyson.

Lmao.

Stop thinking about it OP, it's a fighting game. I mean Yoshimitsu's presence alone is enough to show the game is straight up bonkers, and that's without getting into Mokujin. It's a wild series man, ya just gotta take the ride.

I actually LOVED that part! I'm all for more languages in games.

But to answer you question, they all have Babel fish implanted in their ears. That's how they are able to understand each other.

googles-new-language-translation-app-is-astonishing.jpg

It started with Tekken 5.

I've always had this problem. It just didn't feel natural.

That is why Tekken 4 will always be my favourite. Characters spoke to others in different languages, for instance Jin spoke with Hwoarang in English but in Japanese with Kazuya and it all made sense.

You just gotta get used to it.

I really love that Tekken 4 did this, and I wished they continued that!

What they're doing now is hilarious though, and it's a nice touch to hear everyone's native language

Top Bottom