• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TEKKEN 7 releases June 2nd (PC/XB1/PS4, Season Pass, Eliza, more details)

dadjumper

Just preordered the deluxe edition on Steam. Hope the port is good! I was going to go PS4 for the costumes but I figure it'll run better on PC. I want 60FPS.

ZeroX03

Banned
I can grind out any execution I need, I just want to know who the best character to learn the game with is

Every character generally has every tool, so in that sense you can't go too wrong. I'd avoid anyone execution heavy because you're already trying to remember more than most other fighters. But I'd say...

Shaheen, Paul, Feng, Josie, Katarina, Lars, Miguel, Leo are all pretty simple in terms of juggles and executions. Really just pick a few characters you like the looks of and we can tell you if they're not too complex.

Gale007

How's Nina for someone newer, heard she had high execution. I also heard however you can adapt a lot of characters to fit a simpler play style if you stick to more basic bnbs and punishes. But if Nina really is too crazy then I'm down to try someone a bit simpler. (like Claudio or shaheen)

BossRush

Every character generally has every tool, so in that sense you can't go too wrong. I'd avoid anyone execution heavy because you're already trying to remember more than most other fighters. But I'd say...

Shaheen, Paul, Feng, Josie, Katarina, Lars, Miguel, Leo are all pretty simple in terms of juggles and executions. Really just pick a few characters you like the looks of and we can tell you if they're not too complex.

There's a LOT of characters I like is the problem, like it would be easier to list off characters in not interested in.

ZeroX03

Banned
How's Nina for someone newer, heard she had high execution. I also heard however you can adapt a lot of characters to fit a simpler play style if you stick to more basic bnbs and punishes. But if Nina really is too crazy then I'm down to try someone a bit simpler. (like Claudio or shaheen)

I'd recommend Anna over Nina in a heartbeat, a lot of Nina's good stuff is execution and movement based but my understanding (I haven't bothered going hands on with her yet) is that she's easier than the past few entries. Claudio and Shaheen probably better choices.

There's a LOT of characters I like is the problem, like it would be easier to list off characters in not interested in.

Haha fair enough. Maybe go through practice mode with each one when the game comes out and come back with your fave three?

sasuke_91

I can grind out any execution I need, I just want to know who the best character to learn the game with is

If you want a character to learn the fundamentals with, Jin or Kazuya would be your best choice. Jin is very technical but way less execution-heavy than Kazuya.

Just preordered the deluxe edition on Steam. Hope the port is good! I was going to go PS4 for the costumes but I figure it'll run better on PC. I want 60FPS.

Every version will be 60 FPS. The only sacrifice across the platforms will be resolution. Base PS4 Version runs at 900p for example. No word on Xbox One yet. PS4 Pro will probably run at 1080p, but no word on that yet either.

Her good stuff and stronger juggles are execution heavy, but as a beginner you can basically go ham with her. Her mixup game is really good.

Gale007

I'd recommend Anna over Nina in a heartbeat, a lot of Nina's good stuff is execution and movement based but my understanding (I haven't bothered going hands on with her yet) is that she's easier than the past few entries. Claudio and Shaheen probably better choices.
Ah I thought Anna wasn't in tekken 7 though?
Her good stuff and stronger juggles are execution heavy, but as a beginner you can basically go ham with her. Her mixup game is really good.

Ya I heard she can be a pretty oppressive character and that's what drew me into the idea of playing her. Thinking I'll try her for a while on and if things don't click I'll go to someone a bit more basic. I played a bit of tt2 (slim bob )though so I do remember a small amount of the fundamentals from back then.

RM8

Do we know anything about the Deluxe version? It's super expensive and I don't know if I should bite only because it has "hundreds of costumes". I do love extra costumes :x But I wish there was a preview or something...

Pachimari

Do we know anything about the Deluxe version? It's super expensive and I don't know if I should bite only because it has "hundreds of costumes". I do love extra costumes :x But I wish there was a preview or something...
Besides the pre-order content like the extra costumes and early access to Eliza, you'll get the Season Pass, and they should be revealing its content within the next 11 days.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod

I haven't read hundreds of costumes anywhere. There are some metallic, goldish recolors of the default outfits that you get with the season pass, and then there are supposed to be "more than 50 new costumes" in the Summer DLC pack. Whether that's full costumes or customization parts or some mix of the two is unknown.

The Deluxe Edition is just the same as the game + season pass though. No extra bonuses. Unless you're getting some special savings by purchasing the deluxe edition now, or you REALLY want those metallic recolors, there's no sense in not waiting.

Doomshine

It says "...a new game mode and hundreds of additional costumes". But yeah, as you guys say, I guess it's okay to wait. I think I'll pre-purchase the regular edition because I do want Eliza :x

That's the first DLC being released, so it would be part of the season pass:

oVDoBi0.jpg

joeblow

Trust me... I have no problems beating xiaoyu players with Julia. It almost seems unfair sometimes. Her 1 2 has very short range, no quick whiff punishes, her phoenix and backward stance are good but if you react faster than her, you can overpower her quickly. I main xiaoyi and Julia and understand both of their weaknesses.

Some incorrect observations there.

- The range of Xiaoyu's 1,2 can be extended quite a bit if you input f+1,2 instead. None of her frame data changes, so it's all reward with no risk.

- She has four great, standing whiff punishers:
** i12 f+1+2 knock down shoulder
** i13, b4,4 for nice chunky damage that also wall splats in T7 on natural hit
** i14 standing 3 juggle starter (T7 only)
** i15 d/f+2~1 long range juggle starter that was tag bufferable in TTT2.
Of course dropping into AoP is a fantastic whiff punish creator, but that's a different topic.

- Overpowering AoP and RDS? There are anti-strats vs. every character with stances to slow 'em down, but many agree AoP in particular is one of the best (if not THE best) stance in the game.

- All Tekken 7 matchups seem to be more player dependent than character dependent, but Xiaoyu has unique tools to deal with some of Julia's favorite setups in previous games. For instance, Julia's Shotgun mixups (d,d/f+1~ mid that has a transitional sidestep spin to her right into options) are easily shutdown on block by Xiaoyu's d/f+1. It tracks the evasive spin, high crushes the quick counter punch option, and interrupts the mid and low options - no more mixup.

~~~

Going back to the main topic that brought all this up, the poster above is actually proving that Xiaoyu is one of the more complex characters to get into since she is one of his mains and he got so much of her info wrong.

Perineum

I'm very hyped up to play this. No confirmation yet on DLC characters, correct? I hope we get Marduk. I'm sure I am the only one who wants him back.

MAR DOOK!

Early copies should definitely start showing up in 2-3 days.

Also a question as a Tekken newcomer: Do you guys think the analog stick on the DS4 is a viable method of input? I've had NO issues with it in a lot of other fighting games I've played.

Played SFV, got to Ultra Platinum playing FANG with the analog. Played Killer Instinct, almost got to Killer rank and my method of input was the analog. Played MKX even, and had no issues using the stick. Played a little bit of KoF XIV but the analog never gave me any issues.

But apparently some of the higher level movement in this series can be quite difficult to pull off (wavedashing I think it's called?) so I'd just like to know if I can still play at a decent level with it.

sasuke_91

Also a question as a Tekken newcomer: Do you guys think the analog stick on the DS4 is a viable method of input? I've had NO issues with it in a lot of other fighting games I've played.

Played SFV, got to Ultra Platinum playing FANG with the analog. Played Killer Instinct, almost got to Killer rank and my method of input was the analog. Played MKX even, and had no issues using the stick. Played a little bit of KoF XIV but the analog never gave me any issues.

But apparently some of the higher level movement in this series can be quite difficult to pull off (wavedashing I think it's called?) so I'd just like to know if I can still play at a decent level with it.

I think PrincessLing said that he played with the DS3's analogue stick back in TTT2 before switching to stick. He plays Ling and Lei though and those aren't high execution characters.
I never tried and don't know anyone who does. Your thumb will be a lot faster on the d-pad with the inputs though.

I'm planning on playing Claudio and Kazumi. Might replace Kazumi with Katarina if she doesn't gel with me but yeah. I don't think these are particularly high execution characters right?
Well Tekken is a 3D fighter with sidestepping along with hops and ducking. The speed at which you input movement commands determines what kind of movement you'll do. Quick taps up and down will give you a sidestep, while a more deliberate input will make you jump or duck.

The analog nature of the DS4's stick can sometimes get in the way of input quickness and precision. Say a digital input is either 1 or 9. An analog input leaves space for 2 3 4 5 6 7 and 8. It's great for games with freer movement, but in a fighting game, you only really need 1 or 9.
Hmm, good to know. Guess I should be mentally prepared for using the D-pad.

Creaking

Well Tekken is a 3D fighter with sidestepping along with hops and ducking. The speed at which you input movement commands determines what kind of movement you'll do. Quick taps up and down will give you a sidestep, while a more deliberate input will make you jump or duck.

The analog nature of the DS4's stick can sometimes get in the way of input quickness and precision. Say a digital input is either 1 or 9. An analog input leaves space for 2 3 4 5 6 7 and 8. It's great for games with freer movement, but in a fighting game, you only really need 1 or 9.

As a general rule, no. The reason is that Tekken frequently requires precise diagonal inputs (i.e. No flubbing between down, down-forward and forward) which is tricky on an analogue stick. The other problem is that the time to return to neutral on an analogue stick is really long, which will mess up things like while running and instant while running inputs.

As you noted, backdash cancelling is particularly problematic as the inputs required are b, b, d/b, n, b, d/b etc etc. If you accidentally hit a down or miss a neutral, the cancel either won't come out or, if you are using certain characters (e.g. Bryan), a backsway will come out instead. The latter will get you killed.

NEO0MJ

I'm very hyped up to play this. No confirmation yet on DLC characters, correct? I hope we get Marduk. I'm sure I am the only one who wants him back.

MAR DOOK!

Didn't Gigas borrow some of his moves and big guy role? I feel he's not a priority for the team.

AAK

You're playing games to have fun. Go with whatever control method that jives with you. While other control mechanisms may be objectively more viable but if you end up quitting the game because you could never get acclimated to the new controls then it's not worth it.

But just let it out there: if you want to play with a controller that is currently the best at maximizing the effort into execution it's the Hitbox.

Yeah, I'm not planning on getting tournament worthy with the game but I do like to practice execution and not have any barriers between me doing the "high level" stuff.

But I guess even if I don't master it, it's not that big a deal to me. Just planning on taking it fun and slow for the first few months at least while I get to grips with the actual game.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Danielsan

Hooked up the PS3 downstairs this weekend and played some Tekken 6 online. I was surprised to see that people are still playing that game online. Finding a ranked or player match isn't that hard. However, unsurprisingly, the people playing that game online are real good. I got absolutely clobbered online. I think I only won 5 out of 40 matches. A lot of cases of me getting combo'd across the room and into a wall, unable to break out of the combos/juggles. Especially against the players that had over a 1000 wins on their ranking, any round I managed to take I considered a victory. I really hope Tekken 7 brings in a lot of scrubs like me so that I can have some more wins sprinkled in with all the ass kicking that I'll be taking.

Jin's skin shader is super impressive. We're getting closer to that PS3 tech demo, lol.

fPHlPOh.png

Hooked up the PS3 downstairs this weekend and played some Tekken 6 online. I was surprised to see that people are still playing that game online. Finding a ranked or player match isn't that hard. However, unsurprisingly, the people playing that game online are real good. I got absolutely clobbered online. I think I only won 5 out of 40 matches. A lot of cases of me getting combo'd across the room and into a wall, unable to break out of the combos/juggles. Especially against the players that had over a 1000 wins on their ranking, any round I managed to take I considered a victory. I really hope Tekken 7 brings in a lot of scrubs like me so that I can have some more wins sprinkled in with all the ass kicking that I'll be taking.

Good thing about T7 is that the combo system has changed so that walls are less devastating. Rage arts make it a lot easier to come back because the inputs are simple and they do a ton of damage. That and a lot of other changes aim to lessen the gap between beginners and pros.

Creaking

Jin's skin shader is super impressive. We're getting closer to that PS3 tech demo, lol.

fPHlPOh.png

Yeah, I thought that looked particularly nice as well. Too bad about the hair, though. Maybe they can work on that next time.

「TEKKEN7」キャラクターエピソードトレイラー3
Characters' intro Trailer No 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntNYnmhALas

Oh Paul... Paul Paul Paul...

giphy.gif

Creaking

Would be cool if they did a Character Intro trailer #4 and it had new characters like Lei, Julia etc.

That'd be something really nice to show at some stage at E3, if those characters were to be included in updates, rather than hidden in the game at launch or the like.

But that's piling ifs upon ifs.

Top Bottom