• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TEKKEN 8 - GET READY FOR THE NEXT BATTLE Live-Action Trailer

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Honest question: why does the gameplay bit look like it's running at 20fps ?

It's not the first time either I've witnessed this, I mean, it's an official promo from the official dev/publisher, why show the actual product in a bad light ?
And no, and I don't think it's because of the "casuals" not being able to perceive the difference between 30 and 60 fps, again, that gameplay bit looks like it's running at 15-20 FPS (with stutters) ffs.

So, is it YouTube shenanigans? Original upload quality? The publisher not giving 2 fooks ? I really don't get it.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Honest question: why does the gameplay bit look like it's running at 20fps ?

It's not the first time either I've witnessed this, I mean, it's an official promo from the official dev/publisher, why show the actual product in a bad light ?
And no, and I don't think it's because of the "casuals" not being able to perceive the difference between 30 and 60 fps, again, that gameplay bit looks like it's running at 15-20 FPS (with stutters) ffs.

So, is it YouTube shenanigans? Original upload quality? The publisher not giving 2 fooks ? I really don't get it.

The live action part is filmed at 25fps (or finished at least), making the video that framerate, so the game footage is running at 25fps as well.

They could have doubled the framerate and made it 50fps, but some displays would incorrectly convert it to their native refresh rate and add judder, it's easier to just convert the game footage to 25 unfortunately.

TL;DR - They should've stipulated the live action production house to use a workflow that would produce a final output that can be easily converted to 60fps, so 30fps probably.

That was super lame and dumb as hell. Zero fighting? Really? I much prefer this collaboration for Tag 2:

This is unfair though. Looking back, Tag 2 probably had the best ad/trailer campaign runs in Tekken history.

The Ladies of Tekken ad music collaboration:

And then let's not forget, the Snoop Dogg song is also legendary:

(full/uncut version)

Gamers were too hard on it at first, but that Snoop Dogg song aged very well and stayed memorable.

OP's trailer reminds me of the old Xbox 'Jump in' ads that they used to have. It's a solid C+ rating trailer but we've seen it done before and better.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
yikes-cringe-blonde-girl-o1ntn8h2u6tfxq9i.gif

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
That was... something, I know they are made for casuals but I really don't get how these strange ads actually attracts customers.
Yea I agree. It comes off as being corny. What was so cool about Tekken Tag was the intro. Tekken felt like a world pieced together by characters with a backstory. The ads don’t make me feel like it’s an actual tournament. I haven’t really felt the whole “Iron Fist Tournament” vibe since 3/Tag. Tekken 5 added so many new characters that made me feel so out of touch with the franchise. Tekken 6 was good and so was 7, but 8 is where I’m getting more excited about actually playing the games. For a while it felt like the same roller coaster over and over again. Nothing bad, but nothing to keep me coming back.

Top Bottom