• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT3|

galvenize

So this may come off as a noob question but I was watching Tekken SAI top 8 and was noticing how some moves are never used such as Jin's spinning low kick move which AFAIK, is an iconic mishima move. Is it so bad that's it's not competition viable?

stn

What do you guys mean Raven was replaced by Master Raven? Was he completely removed from the canon universe or is he just on a leave of absence to make way for the new character? I haven't followed Tekken since 5.

cordy

Banned
What do you guys mean Raven was replaced by Master Raven? Was he completely removed from the canon universe or is he just on a leave of absence to make way for the new character? I haven't followed Tekken since 5.

Master Raven is his boss. She's just assigned to this job rather than him.

Numb

So this may come off as a noob question but I was watching Tekken SAI top 8 and was noticing how some moves are never used such as Jin's spinning low kick move which AFAIK, is an iconic mishima move. Is it so bad that's it's not competition viable?
The hellsweep?
It's actually good but very unsafe on block

Master Raven is higher ranked in their group
Regular Raven is a grunt compared

Doomshine

If you're thinking of the move I think you are it was definitely used, he gets a full combo off it now. As for other moves, people tend to strip down the movelists to the most useful/abusable moves. Some moves can be very situational and others are simply not as useful.

CSX

f, f, f + 2 at point blank is tricky, and his ws4 pickups from ch running 2 take practice,

i said that as a joke no worries :p

what's actually hard is doing running 2 right after a d2 T__T

the ws4 after ch running 2 i can do on pad by holding DF really hard after doing the qcf and then let go of my thumb and press 4

AAK

Since 2005, there have been 2 Jin's that occupy their own character slots on the select screen: Regular Jin and Devil Jin. Devil Jin has Tekken 3/Tekken Tag 1's moveset (including the legacy hell sweep animation) while Regular Jin has a completely brand new movelist. It's as vast of a difference as Oni and Akuma in SF4.

Spuck-uk

Banned
i said that as a joke no worries :p

what's actually hard is doing running 2 right after a d2 T__T

the ws4 after ch running 2 i can do on pad by holding DF really hard after doing the qcf and then let go of my thumb and press 4

Yeah, that's basically how I do the WS4, but on stick :p

I think I'm convinced of your idea, AAK. This was my response to this quote of an article shared in the T7 release info thread.

Interesting article on the game on CNET.

https://www.cnet.com/news/tekken-7-arcade-street-fighter-death-fighting-game-community/

He's said it before but that's so true. In a previous interview he said if they didn't have this arcade model we wouldn't have had a Tekken past 5.
If they bailed arcade altogether, I can see them using AAK's suggested free-to-play/pay-to-continue console beta model while working on the game proper for a full release (or discounted upgrade if you're in the beta and put in a certain amount of time/money).

cordy

Banned
In somebody's preview they mentioned something about possibly playing previous stories in the series but they didn't wanna spoil anything so I wouldn't be surprised if you can play as T3 Jin.

Hyun Sai

Can someone remind me the argument on why cross play with PC was not possible ?

I just saw the GWENT OT, and it seems like Xbox players can play against PC players, and PS4 players can also play against PC players. Xbox against PS4 is not possible.

I just saw the GWENT OT, and it seems like Xbox players can play against PC players, and PS4 players can also play against PC players. Xbox against PS4 is not possible.

Something regarding P2P connection i think.

Rajang

Server based games vs P2P.

In somebody's preview they mentioned something about possibly playing previous stories in the series but they didn't wanna spoil anything so I wouldn't be surprised if you can play as T3 Jin.

Wouldn't surprise me. You could do a bunch of fights from the previous for most characters fairly easy. Paul VS Kaz, Kaz VS Lee, etc.

I've been wondering why I don't really care about Story Mode compared to others, and basically I think it's come down to the fact that none of my mains have ever had a shot of winning the tourney. Jun, Paul, Lei, Ling, Asuka... not a chance. Okay, technically Paul won the third tourney, but that was just Harada trolling Paul fans. I stopped caring about the Mishima storyline after 2, so basically I don't have any skin in the game. And even within the stories my characters have, they're mostly treated as jokes or given some throwaway plot.

So that's why I'm extra salty about the fact that Story Mode exists, but a mode I actually play all the time (Team Battle) and have played since T2 was removed. As someone who is not casual, but not quite competitive enough to really care about Tourney mode, I feel like Tekken is slowly changing into a game that's not for me anymore.

cordy

Banned
Me I care because Tekken's lore is one of the main things I love about it. It's hard for a fighting game to have a lore that's constantly changing and Tekken Team somehow keeps it evolving as the times change. You add that in with new music, new clothing for characters, new dynamics, interesting personalities, overall you've got a great lore. Even the characters I don't care about much I'm impressed that they put some thought into what they're doing as the storyline progresses. That's one of the main reasons I've kept with the series so long.

I love the fighting and gameplay, that's important to me but it's Tekken so I know it'll be there. The lore though is important to me.

Tekken sits in a weird spot. A lot of other fighting games have a ton of information but it's hidden away in side material and artbooks. Capcom and SNK does this shit like crazy, and it's insane how much people miss. Tekken never really had that problem. All of the information is straightforward and right in your face. It makes for a more cohesive storyline

But that being said, because they've had that time to get their shit together, you expect the story to be good. It doesn't have to string things together and pickup pieces and glue them together.

So far from what I've seen, it looks pretty good. There are a few moments that had my eyes rolling, but nothing too terrible. But it's all gonna be about the payoff, so we'll see how things conclude.

I've been wondering why I don't really care about Story Mode compared to others, and basically I think it's come down to the fact that none of my mains have ever had a shot of winning the tourney. Jun, Paul, Lei, Ling, Asuka... not a chance. Okay, technically Paul won the third tourney, but that was just Harada trolling Paul fans. I stopped caring about the Mishima storyline after 2, so basically I don't have any skin in the game. And even within the stories my characters have, they're mostly treated as jokes or given some throwaway plot.

So that's why I'm extra salty about the fact that Story Mode exists, but a mode I actually play all the time (Team Battle) and have played since T2 was removed. As someone who is not casual, but not quite competitive enough to really care about Tourney mode, I feel like Tekken is slowly changing into a game that's not for me anymore.

This sentiment has been around since the game was released in its beta form and everything about Tekken 7 has be scrutinized and back thoroughly ad nauseum. Changes to the wake up system? This isn't my Tekken. Super moves? This isn't my Tekken. Oh Paul is still a joke? Tekken hasn't changed. No T4 level story pieces? Tekken doesn't work anymore

At some point we have to accept the game as is and I feel like outside of legit issues, there's too much of an attachment to this series that when it tries to actually change things up or even keeps certain things the same.

Its ok not to like Team Battle mode being gone, that's fine. Its ok for shit NOT to change drastically, that's fine too. I think after T7 going forward we need to detach the series because people are getting way too hurt by it as seen in multiple threads and I know I was guilty of it too.

If the game is not for you anymore, then let go of the game or get it later when you're not so hurt by what changes or non changes it makes. Not to "stick it to the man" but to give yourself some needed separation from the series.

Hype culture is terrible and I feel that Tekken 7 was a HUGE victim of that outside of Namco's flubs in Marketing and transparency.

Sorry if I seem too "heartless" but that's just some shit I've been noticing since the Jun debacle back in TTT2 and I had to sit through all that.

This sentiment has been around since the game was released in its beta form and everything about Tekken 7 has be scrutinized and back thoroughly ad nauseum. Changes to the wake up system? This isn't my Tekken. Super moves? This isn't my Tekken. Oh Paul is still a joke? Tekken hasn't changed. No T4 level story pieces? Tekken doesn't work anymore

At some point we have to accept the game as is and I feel like outside of legit issues, there's too much of an attachment to this series that when it tries to actually change things up or even keeps certain things the same.

Its ok not to like Team Battle mode being gone, that's fine. Its ok for shit NOT to change drastically, that's fine too. I think after T7 going forward we need to detach the series because people are getting way too hurt by it as seen in multiple threads and I know I was guilty of it too.

If the game is not for you anymore, then let go of the game or get it later when you're not so hurt by what changes or non changes it makes. Not to "stick it to the man" but to give yourself some needed separation from the series.

Hype culture is terrible and I feel that Tekken 7 was a HUGE victim of that outside of Namco's flubs in Marketing and transparency.

Sorry if I seem too "heartless" but that's just some shit I've been noticing since the Jun debacle back in TTT2 and I had to sit through all that.

Well I haven't been bitching about T7 until recently, so excuse me for sharing my thoughts. I could care less about the gameplay changes -- we've had those in every title -- but I don't think it's participating in "hype culture" to point out that many of the traditional things that make a Tekken console game an awesome value and experience are now gone.

As someone who has been playing since Tekken 1, and who actually worked with Namco on the marketing for 2 and 3, Tekken is very close to my heart, and I think Harada has fucked up the console release by stripping it bare of what made them special. Maybe doubling down on the competitive scene will work out for them financially, or maybe casuals will love the Story Mode so much that they won't care about the rest, but I think many longtime Tekken fans who are not tuned in to the loss of traditional features and characters will be pretty surprised.

Onemic

Well I haven't been bitching about T7 until recently, so excuse me for sharing my thoughts. I could care less about the gameplay changes -- we've had those in every title -- but I don't think it's participating in "hype culture" to point out that many of the traditional things that make a Tekken console game an awesome value and experience are now gone.

As someone who has been playing since Tekken 1, and who actually worked with Namco on the marketing for 2 and 3, Tekken is very close to my heart, and I think Harada has fucked up the console release by stripping it bare of what made them special. Maybe doubling down on the competitive scene will work out for them financially, or maybe casuals will love the Story Mode so much that they won't care about the rest, but I think many longtime Tekken fans who are not tuned in to the loss of traditional features and characters will be pretty surprised.

By not including Team Battle and Lei?

Do realize I'm not just talking to you but everyone in the thread I just used your quote as an example of then on going trend that's been happening in the Tekken OT threads since the T7 Beta footage was released

Your "Tekken" story, outside of Marketing, is very familiar but it doesn't disregard my point at all. Losing Team Battle and Survival may hurt you because you have some sentimentality to those modes and that's ok but they haven't been the core Tekken experience for a LOOOONNNGGGG time. I feel for you but that's not what makes the game anymore and its kinda weird to think that it is in this day in age.

cordy

Banned
Story Mode is being undersold here. Given today's gaming climate, it goes a long way. Look at the NRS games since MK9. Yeah, they have additional modes like Ladder and all that other stuff but the one thing that's always brought up above it all is it's Story Mode. You even have people who haven't bought the game looking up the Story Mode over anything else. T7's Story Mode, from what we've read impression-wise and from what we've seen, seems to be doing the same thing. Casuals will love that, heavily. You also add in the stuff like customization, all the movies from previous Tekken games? Man that's heavy. Sure it's missing some of the previous modes and some characters like Lei, Julia and Anna but those are mostly things most casuals probably won't be touching much compared to a Story Mode. I doubt most casual players will be like "man that's not in the game...I'm not picking it up."

I gotta agree with MikeBreezy on this one. I do think people are so attached to the series that any change will hurt them so in a way it seems like they're carrying this large weight on their backs. Just let that weight go and come to grips that Tekken's just a different series. It's no offense to those series but it's just a different thing these days.

GrayFoxPL

It's pretty interesting to see players who haven't been following Tekken for years come back now and come to the thread.

That's good. I felt like there was dozen of us at most here for years now.

Hope Manny comes back.

Team Battle, Survival, Time Attack(?), Tekken Force, Ball/Bowl. I disagree that these things "aren't the core Tekken experience" just because you don't care about them. They are part of the total package that people have come to expect for their $60. We don't get every mode in every game, but we always get some combo of those, until now. I think that value proposition brings people back who don't care about online much.

Maybe y'all are right and I'm in the minority. I doubt it, but maybe so. But what I think is closer to the truth is that the Tekken fanbase is split into two groups, the longtimers who want the buffet of content, and the rest who mostly care about online play, customizing their characters with silly shit, and probably play the SP mode once.

Team Battle, Survival, Time Attack(?), Tekken Force, Ball/Bowl. I disagree that these things "aren't the core Tekken experience" just because you don't care about them. They are part of the total package that people have come to expect for their $60. We don't get every mode in every game, but we always get some combo of those, until now. I think that value proposition brings people back who don't care about online much.

Maybe y'all are right and I'm in the minority. I doubt it, but maybe so. But what I think is closer to the truth is that the Tekken fanbase is split into two groups, the longtimers who want the buffet of content, and the rest who mostly care about online play, customizing their characters with silly shit, and probably play the SP mode once.

They were turned as soon as Tekken got Ghost Mode and Story Mode. Time Attack is pretty much Arcade mode. Tekken Force or Ball pops up every once in awhile.

Only True Staples since Tekken 1 are Arcade and Vs.

cordy

Banned

I've been playing since before T2 even released and I don't go online much. I mostly customize my characters a good amount, play the "main mode" (Story/Scenario/Arcade) multiple times, beat Arcade with each character multiple times and I'm also in Practice and Ghost Modes a good amount. I've personally got no problem with the lack of Team Battle, Survival and Time Attack because I rarely play those modes. Force Mode varies because Scenario Mode wasn't a good mode, neither was Devil Within, T3 and T4 had fun Force Modes.

Either way, I don't think the Tekken fanbase is split into that for everyone. A good amount of people fit in one of those categories but others, like myself, do not. There's really no need for me to have the modes we aren't getting if I have Arcade and Treasure Battle especially considering Treasure Battle is endless. I can pretty much grind in Treasure Battle for hours and be good.

Onemic

The only thing that ever felt like it was core to my casual Tekken experience back in the button mashing T3/T5 days was Tekken Force, arcade mode, and ghost battle. I was worried at first about Story mode, but after seeing all those impression videos it looks like it'll be a good substitute, so I dont mind that Tekken force isnt there. We already have arcade mode, and treasure battle is pretty much just ghost battle with collectibles and boss battles. Im not worried about the SP content at all. Especially so when we have an additional mode coming with the season pass.

I used to play the shit out of Team Battle and Survival... back in Tag 1.

Those modes have been useless since the introduction of Ghost Battle. Seriously, why would you waste time in Team Battle when could be ranking up characters and unlocking shit by fighting Ghosts (which are more challenging and varied in their behaviors than the regular CPU)?

I'm sorry, nobody who has played Tekken 5 and beyond is mourning the loss of these modes.

LowParry

I'm fine without Team and Survival. Ugh we are so close. A shame it wasn't this week of release. Memorial Day would be dubbed Tekken Day.

Spuck-uk

Banned

It's equally funny when Tekken has changed wayyyy less through the years than any other major fighting game franchise.

I've been playing since Tekken 1 in the arcades, and I couldn't give a shit about team battle or survival. A good story mode is 100000% more important for mainstream success than anyones pet game mode or Lei/Anna/whoever.

I mean, look at the shambolic SFV release to see what happens when you try and do a 'classic' fighting game release in 201x

Nine days to go, fffuuuuuuuck it's close.

dh4niel

Do all versions of Tekken 7 have all the music and endings from the series? As I just heard on Maximilian_DOOD's stream it's just the PS4 version?

Do all versions of Tekken 7 have all the music and endings from the series? As I just heard on Maximilian_DOOD's stream it's just the PS4 version?

Only the PS4 version has the Jukebox mode, which has music from all games in the series.

But the endings are unlockables in every version of the game.

AAK

I think I'm convinced of your idea, AAK. This was my response to this quote of an article shared in the T7 release info thread.

If they bailed arcade altogether, I can see them using AAK's suggested free-to-play/pay-to-continue console beta model while working on the game proper for a full release (or discounted upgrade if you're in the beta and put in a certain amount of time/money).

I just want to reiterate that I don't want Namco to bail on the arcade version. Barely anyone in Japan/Korea owns consoles or gaming PC's so doubling down on consoles is also screwing a ton of people form the game.

All I proposed was a way for the rest of the world to enjoy the game in conjunction with the Japanese/Koreans. I'd really like that. But like MikeBreezy wisely said, it's time to detach myself from the levels of fandom I previously had before I fall into another depressing rage when I see Tekken X Street Fighter or Tekken 8 revealed and witness Japan/Korea discover the game for another 2+ years before I can.

Doomshine

Do I really need to bring up the fact that I've been playing since Tekken 1 to justify that I don't care about team battle, time attack and survival not being in the game? Am I not a "true longtime Tekken fan" if I'm not upset that Anna or Lei isn't in the game?

If people are unhappy with Tekken 7, fine, but I'm tired of people acting like they speak for huge parts of the fanbase to bring some sort of weight to their arguments. You don't, you speak for yourself.

cordy

Banned
Do I really need to bring up the fact that I've been playing since Tekken 1 to justify that I don't care about team battle, time attack and survival not being in the game? Am I not a "true longtime Tekken fan" if I'm not upset that Anna or Lei isn't in the game?

If people are unhappy with Tekken 7, fine, but I'm tired of people acting like they speak for huge parts of the fanbase to bring some sort of weight to their arguments. You don't, you speak for yourself.

You quoted the wrong post friend lol. You're on the same side as me.

Numb

Usually don't care for story but interested this time since it's supposed to wrap the Mishima stuff up
Everyone getting thrown into a volcano isn't a good ending
But it would be hilarious

sasuke_91

Team Battle has been our go-to mode when my siblings and I were playing Tekken ever since Tekken 3. I'm sad it's gone because it's been a funny mode for some casual fun, but the reactions in this thread are way overblown. And it's hard to take anyone serious who says that Namco is concentrating too much on Online when there's one additional Online Mode compared to the biggest Story Mode we ever got.
Also 100% agreement with Doomshine.

Numb

Team Battle has been our go-to mode when my siblings and I were playing Tekken ever since Tekken 3. I'm sad it's gone because it's been a funny mode for some casual fun, but the reactions in this thread are way overblown. And it's hard to take anyone serious who says that Namco is concentrating too much on Online when there's one additional Online Mode compared to the biggest Story Mode we ever got.
Also 100% agreement with Doomshine.

Teambattle is good shit...when online didn't exist and people were chilling on the same tv to take a break from 1v1
tbh i would be down for team battles in private sessions

I just want to reiterate that I don't want Namco to bail on the arcade version. Barely anyone in Japan/Korea owns consoles or gaming PC's so doubling down on consoles is also screwing a ton of people form the game.

All I proposed was a way for the rest of the world to enjoy the game in conjunction with the Japanese/Koreans.

That's actually a really good idea but knowing Namco lol.

Top Bottom