• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT3|

Playsage

9 days to go and there's no more
leaked
footage of story mode outside the official previews?

The sooner I witness the mandatory Paul's joke episode, the sooner I can get over it

Numb

h4DqR.png

7IOLHGL.gif

If people are unhappy with Tekken 7, fine, but I'm tired of people acting like they speak for huge parts of the fanbase to bring some sort of weight to their arguments. You don't, you speak for yourself.

Y'all are doing the same thing, acting like no one cares about the missing modes and missing characters.

Team Battle is important to me not only because it's been my #1 couch mode with friends for 20 years, but also because it forces me to play characters (and thus get better at defending against them) I wouldn't normally pick.

The loss of Lei to me is huge not only because he's one of the most unique, fluid, and fun characters in the roster, and he's been in every game since 2, but because it's one less character that has a real fighting style and isn't a hard-hitting brawler. And I think having a diversity of styles that appeals to different kinds of play is important for Tekken as a whole.

PhineBuyM3

Y'all are doing the same thing, acting like no one cares about the missing modes and missing characters.

Team Battle is important to me not only because it's been my #1 couch mode with friends for 20 years, but also because it forces me to play characters (and thus get better at defending against them) I wouldn't normally pick.

The loss of Lei to me is huge not only because he's one of the most unique, fluid, and fun characters in the roster, and he's been in every game since 2, but because it's one less character that has a real fighting style and isn't a hard-hitting brawler. And I think having a diversity of styles that appeals to different kinds of play is important for Tekken as a whole.

Thank you. They'll be all "no one uses the missing characters", bunch of players who uses them "the fuck
dahell2.png
I use them"

Then they switch it up to "oh, well then they're not popular enough" ...GTFO
VdTfGLS.gif

The loss of Lei is also the loss of my 2nd best character and I'm tired of people telling me to pick someone else like all these wack ass newcomers or anyone currently in the game are suitable replacements for the drunken master
what.png

GrayFoxPL

Lei needs to be reverted pre T6. Smaller, fresher moveset and no special "sleep" stance instead of his natural grounded position "stance" he had pre T6.

Also more "Jackie Chan-nes" .

LYgr3F3.gif

cordy

Banned

Who said that?

The loss of Lei is also the loss of my 2nd best character and I'm tired of people telling me to pick someone else like all these wack ass newcomers or anyone currently in the game are suitable replacements for the drunken master

Everyone loses their characters. I mained Jun and Kunimitsu and once i saw where the wind was blowing i complained a bunch... and then i put in a ton of effort to learn folks that -are- in the game.

If you don't want to be part of that club, play Jin or Kaz or something. Or learn someone else each time. Not as a 'replacement', but just to deal with it. At some point you just have to adapt or throw in the towel.

Doomshine

Yeah, thanks for putting words in my mouth. Again.

Thank you. They'll be all "no one uses the missing characters", bunch of players who uses them "the fuck
dahell2.png
I use them"

and I played Wang, Zafina, Ganryu, Armor King, Ancient Ogre, Dr. B and Marduk, but I also knew that they were not popular and were most likely going to be on the chopping block since the game is not going to have every character like Tag 2.

PhineBuyM3

Yeah, thanks for putting words in my mouth. Again.

and I played Wang, Zafina, Ganryu, Armor King, Ancient Ogre, Dr. B and Marduk, but I also knew that they were not popular and were most likely going to be on the chopping block since the game is not going to have every character like Tag 2.

Another thing I'm tired of is people acting like they knew which characters were and were not popular enough to return in sequels. Even though that's not even a criteria that they were ever consistent with.

sasuke_91

Damn, I just noticed that you play so many character who aren't returning.
Who are you going to main in T7? Dragunov? Someone new? Lucky Chloe? 🙃

*Hopes customizations can be turned off*

Fuck, double edged sword. I want to give Yoshi an alt since Namco's too lazy to do so for most characters these days.

I'm gonna say, I've wanted legacy skins in TT2 since it made sense there. But now there's a chance (beyond the already revealed skins) that we'll get them here in T7. I guess it makes sense with the story mode taking us back in time, but I'm still not sure of the scope of that and just thinking about it is probably setting me up for disappointment (like now, I'm imagining Yoshi infiltrating Mishima headquarters and losing his arm and being aided by Dr. B in a cutscene and giving us T1 and T2 Yoshi's to play as...).

Doomshine

Another thing I'm tired of is people acting like they knew which characters were and were not popular enough to return in sequels. Even though that's not even a criteria that they were ever consistent with.

Character usage data is available to some degree and Harada sometimes comments directly on it so you can at least draw some conclusion that isn't based on random forum or twitter posts. Namco obviously has the most information of anyone and it isn't the only criteria for inclusion.

Damn, I just noticed that you play so many character who aren't returning.
Who are you going to main in T7? Dragunov? Someone new? Lucky Chloe? 🙃
I'm probably going to start with Dragunov and I want to try most of the new characters, but from Tag 2 I still have Feng, Miguel, (Master) Raven, Bryan, Law, Yoshimitsu, Jack, Paul, Leo, Jin and King to some extent if I want to switch it up.

Can't believe it's only a week now :O Feel's like it's been forever! How do yo post something so only gaffers can see it? I wanna post my PSN for those gaffers who I don't already have added so I have enough opponents for when it's finally out :p

Who said that?

These statements. It's one thing to say "I don't care about those modes" or even "the competitive community doesn't care", that's fine, but people shouldn't be acting like they speak for the whole fanbase. Not trying to call anyone out, but you asked. >>>

Losing Team Battle and Survival may hurt you because you have some sentimentality to those modes and that's ok but they haven't been the core Tekken experience for a LOOOONNNGGGG time. I feel for you but that's not what makes the game anymore and its kinda weird to think that it is in this day in age.

I'm sorry, nobody who has played Tekken 5 and beyond is mourning the loss of these modes.

Everyone loses their characters. I mained Jun and Kunimitsu and once i saw where the wind was blowing i complained a bunch... and then i put in a ton of effort to learn folks that -are- in the game.

If you don't want to be part of that club, play Jin or Kaz or something. Or learn someone else each time. Not as a 'replacement', but just to deal with it. At some point you just have to adapt or throw in the towel.

Hey, I mained Jun in T2, so I'm no stranger to feeling salty. But at least we got a Jun-lite replacement with Asuka. There's no replacement for Lei's animal/drunken style, nothing even close. Sure, I have mained other characters over the years, but I always go back to Lei.

As I said before, the lack of Lei is not just a loss for those who play him, but for Tekken as a whole because having diverse styles makes a FG more attractive to newcomers and keeps things interesting. Most modern Tekken characters are very staccato, poke-and-chop and power move characters. Jun and Lei were both elegant characters whose moves flowed into each other, and I don't really see this style of play represented anymore. Zafina, sort of, but she's gone too.

I mean hopefully he will show up as a free DLC character, so I don't want to freak about it too much, but the fact that he's not in the main game and probably won't get a real story and CG ending certainly sucks.

As I said before, the lack of Lei is not just a loss for those who play him, but for Tekken as a whole because having diverse styles makes a FG more attractive to newcomers and keeps things interesting. Most modern Tekken characters are very staccato, poke-and-chop and power move characters. Jun and Lei were both elegant characters whose moves flowed into each other, and I don't really see this style of play represented anymore. Zafina, sort of, but she's gone too.

Yeah um, i think T7 has great variety and diverse styles so we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one.

You don't think Lili and Xiaoyu have an elegant fighting style? Or even Eddy or Chloe with their dance-like stuff.

These statements. It's one thing to say "I don't care about those modes" or even "the competitive community doesn't care", that's fine, but people shouldn't be acting like they speak for the whole fanbase. Not trying to call anyone out, but you asked. >>>

The Passive aggressive "not trying to call anyone out" was unnecessary. But still I'm not talking about the community I'm talking about what is SOLD to be people since T6.

Which has been online, story mode and nameless features.

You called Treasure Battle "mobile game bullshit" and dismissed story mode entirely.

You're clearly holding onto the past here. If somebody more reasonable was voicing your concerns, they might be taken seriously.

I agree that Lei and Julia need to return, though. But Jun fans are why we can't have nice things. Can't blame Namco for ignoring us this time.

Yo. I need Tekken 7 now. I seriously want to go through every Tekken right now in arcade mode. I used to be a big Tekken fan when I was a casual fg fan. And Tekken 7 brought the hype back and I don't have any of my old Tekken games anymore. For some reason, I have the urge to play Tekken 2 the most.

Yudoken

Yo. I need Tekken 7 now. I seriously want to go through every Tekken right now in arcade mode. I used to be a big Tekken fan when I was a casual fg fan. And Tekken 7 brought the hype back and I don't have any of my old Tekken games anymore. For some reason, I have the urge to play Tekken 2 the most.

I'm currently playing T6 which I didn't really played much (even though I really loved T5) and I can't understand how they screwed up the story mode that badly and somehow they even messed up the arcade mode too...

Tekken 6 has probably one of the worst and bullshit arcade endbosses in a fighting game I've ever played.
The giant robot Nancy (you only have one round and you only have one chance to win against this optional boss) is really bad but Azrael is just everything I could hate in Tekken personified.

There's no excuse for this terrible monstrosity which is only there to rob people of their coins for continues in the arcades.
And if you're wondering where the prolog was when you stated the arcade mode... Guess what?

You don't get an outro either after finishing it!

After going twice through the mode I've researched online to understand why there's no prologue and ending video.
After a quick search I've found out that you have to go through the whole campaign mode to be able to choose all of the characters and play through "arcade" mode (which is way shorter).

After spending half an hour with that campaign mode with Lars I came to the conclusion that my dislike against him and especially Alisa is more than valid. They're the most uninteresting, boring, cliché and badly designed characters added to Tekken. Especially Alisa who looks like she's from a completely game and she doesn't have any redeeming qualities in this game. Nobody should really miss both of them if they wouldn't be in T7.
That's it for T6.

From what I can tell T7 story mode looks very promising and well thought out.

There's also a "character story" mode for each of the fighters. Hopefully they're not too short.
And a classic arcade mode with humanoid enbosses. They're strong but are definitely more like normal fighters which I really like.

Even though Lei is not included (imho the only fighter that is really missing and not replaceable) and no team battle is in the launch version the prospects look really good and who knows what they're going to add later.

Early 17, only 8 days to go!

You don't think Lili and Xiaoyu have an elegant fighting style? Or even Eddy or Chloe with their dance-like stuff.

What I mean by fluid in the context of Lei and Jun is having moves that flow into each other visually and have a constant rhythm, like Lei's spin combos (sorry, I can never remember move names). Tekken 2 Jun is sort of the pinnacle of that, you could pretty much do infinite combos of her swirling around. You're right on the capos; I don't enjoy playing as them, but they're a good example.

I used to main Ling, her animations by themselves are elegant, she has a few combos that flow, but her general vibe is more pokey. Short chops mixed with some power strikes. If they expanded on her rolls and and spins, maybe she would flow better. Lili is similar...her movements are graceful, and she has some combos that flow well, but generally she does a lot of individual kicks and pokes. I haven't played T7 so I don't really know Chloe, only seen some vids. She's seems more fluid than Ling and Lili though.

One thing I've noticed about the animation of the newer Tekken characters is sometimes their moves don't feel like they have weight. I was watching Chloe and she has a move where she does like five kicks in the air. It looks like wire work, no feeling of gravity or that they're really connecting. Contrast that to Hwaorangs air-kick combo where you feel each strike land. So in that respect the animations of some of these characters look fluid superficially, but don't feel grounded, if that makes sense. Raven is kind of the same way I think.

PhineBuyM3

Lei needs to be reverted pre T6. Smaller, fresher moveset and no special "sleep" stance instead of his natural grounded position "stance" he had pre T6.

Also more "Jackie Chan-nes" .

LYgr3F3.gif
oprah.gif

T6 Lei was near perfect for me. Only thing I'd want from his old incarnations would be the TTT1 or DR version of the haha step. Some fuckery with the environment would be nice as well.

Nuszka

Nice to see this place busy again.

On the subject of lack of Lei or Julia , yes they are legacy characters but not popular enough to be brought back in the starting rooster. Simple. To the folk that want them to return so badly , do you still play them ? I personally haven't met many of players using them online in the past view months to the degree that I forgot how to deal against them.
I'm just generalising here but my guess is that the lot that has the requests for god knows what even if they got it, will drop the game within view weeks/months. I have played tag2 on and off for almost 5 years , loved using Bruce , got him replaced with Josie , do I cry , no I just move on as I'm here for the feeling and gameplay that makes tekken for me.

Anyway, 6 more sleeps.

LowParry

Everyone needs to go back and play 4. It's that good.

Can someone explain the difference between story mode and this 'character story mode' I'm hearing about?

I originally thought when people talked about characters having story chapters it would be like NRS focusing on characters per chapter a la MKX in the story campaign.

But is it my understanding we're getting both a proper story mode as well as a separate mode where each character has their own individualised story? Sort of like a more developed arcade mode with prologue/CG ending etc?

But is it my understanding we're getting both a proper story mode as well as a separate mode where each character has their own individualised story? Sort of like a more developed arcade mode with prologue/CG ending etc?

Yeah, there's a main story mode that has you play several different characters, and then there's shorter separate episodes for most characters on top of that.

If you've played SF5 after they added the main story post launch, kind of like that. (Though hopefully a lot better.)

eyeball_kid, the effective high level Lei Wulong used less than 5% of his move list. He is the worst example of a drunken fighter in any reasonable fighting game. Shun Di from VF or even Brad Wong from DOA flow ten times better than Lei.

Lei's Tekken Tag 2 ending is the most sickening form of false advertisement. I'd most certainly play Lei if he was about flow and fun to play. Blame Harada for giving him such an unbalanced move list that forced you to forget 99% of your fun strategies in order to win games at high level. That is the real reason why he isn't in Tekken 7.

Top Bottom