• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT3|

Numb

Are you going to disobey my order?
Get your ass Online in 10 minutes.
iWsZMt5.png
Get ready. i'm coming
full

Toronto

How many people do solo?

Lots of people still play tag, but that doesn't mean you can't roll solo just for the practice. If you get a lobby going with people here you can get consistent 1v1 games.

Ranked is still active, from probably light blue ranks up to orange. Player matches are still active during peak hours.

Onemic

As someone that's new to the Tekken series(Not new, new, just new to actually trying to learn the game and its mechanics) I need some advice on picking a character to play. Traditionally I like playing characters that have good pokes, as well as whiff punishing and block punishing, but can also be offensive. Examples include Fei Long, Elena, Yang, and Adon in SF4, Mitsuru in P4A, and Hakumen in BB. Fei Long probably exemplifies that playstyle the most. Are there any characters that best fit this playstyle in TTT2? I'd really only attempt to play characters that will make an appearance in T7. Thanks in advance.

Lots of people still play tag, but that doesn't mean you can't roll solo just for the practice. If you get a lobby going with people here you can get consistent 1v1 games.

Ranked is still active, from probably light blue ranks up to orange. Player matches are still active during peak hours.

Nice, that works for me then.

sasuke_91

You guys are hilarious. XD

YOU think WE are funny? Do you even read your own posts?

Toronto

How many people do solo?

People here will play solo with you if you ask them to. As Famicom says, Online is also still active.

curry-saiyan.gif

ggs sasuke
Put some respek on my names

Go away. I hate you T^T

The tournament is in 3 days and I play like an idiot. This won't end well.
And stop counting hahaha xD

Numb

As someone that's new to the Tekken series(Not new, new, just new to actually trying to learn the game and its mechanics) I need some advice on picking a character to play. Traditionally I like playing characters that have good pokes, as well as whiff punishing and block punishing, but can also be offensive. Examples include Fei Long, Elena, Yang, and Adon in SF4, Mitsuru in P4A, and Hakumen in BB. Fei Long probably exemplifies that playstyle the most. Are there any characters that best fit this playstyle in TTT2? I'd really only attempt to play characters that will make an appearance in T7. Thanks in advance.
What guys you interested in and want to play before knowing the playstyle?

Block punish is easy. Just check your -10f punisher -12f punisher -15f punisher/launcher etc..

Putting priority on guys that'll be in Tekken 7

Feng:
Good pokes and many lows compared to other characters. Easy to pick up. Can be offensive aswell. b1+2 shoulder great for whiff punishing,CDC+1 good way to get in from a distance. Always got b+1 on deck with good read.

Jack: poke King and good in Tekken 7 with huge range. Very defensive and requires good understanding of the game in general with reads and punishing but still viable. Launcher gets boost from long limbs

Law: Short range but real offensive.Slide is real good and has a mixup built it

Gigas:
Long long range. 50% Marduk parts

Alisa: Great movement. Can be in your face and out very quickly. db+3 great poke also df+4, b+1. Good easy punishes
Go away. I hate you T^T

The tournament is in 3 days and I play like an idiot. This won't end well.
And stop counting hahaha xD
You know i like winning

Onemic

What guys you interested in and want to play before knowing the playstyle?

Block punish is easy. Just check your -10f punisher -12f punisher -15f punisher/launcher etc..

Putting priority on guys that'll be in Tekken 7

Feng:
Good pokes and many lows compared to other characters. Easy to pick up. Can be offensive aswell. b1+2 shoulder great for whiff punishing,CDC+1 good way to get in from a distance. Always got b+1 on deck with good read.

Jack: poke King and good in Tekken 7 with huge range. Very defensive and requires good understanding of the game in general with reads and punishing but still viable. Launcher gets boost from long limbs

Law: Short range but real offensive.Slide is real good and has a mixup built it

Gigas:
Long long range. 50% Marduk parts

Alisa: Great movement. Can be in your face and out very quickly. db+3 great poke also df+4, b+1. Good easy punishes

You know i like winning

For characters Im interested in because I was master button mashers with them back in the T3/T5 days:

Jin, Hwoarang, Devil Jin, Kazuya, Heihachi, Feng, Lars(he seemed fun from the little T6 I played)

AAK

Numb and Sasuke are jolly people.

Just a few days ago Ireland's best player just made this doc which does a general overview of the entire cast of Tekken 7 outlining each of their strengths and weaknesses.

Heihachi for Marvel Vs Capcom 4 confirmed.

Maybe Heihachi for SFV Season 2?

Numb

For characters Im interested in because I was master button mashers with them back in the T3/T5 days:

Jin, Hwoarang, Devil Jin, Kazuya, Heihachi, Feng, Lars(he seemed fun from the little T6 I played)
Fellow buttonmasher
But that's alot of Mishimas to be button mashing

Lars still has his lighting screw that brings tears to everyone
Just a few days ago Ireland's best player just made this doc which does a general overview of the entire cast of Tekken 7 outlining each of their strengths and weaknesses.
XdqbeD6.jpg

I'm using this too

Onemic

Maybe Heihachi for SFV Season 2?

That's perfect, thanks.

Onemic

Based on that overview doc, it seems that Jin, Devil Jin, and Dragunov would be the best characters for me. Im more inclined to main Devil Jin/Jin though because of dat T3/T5 nostalgia. Jin is by far my fav character in the series(followed by Hwoarang). Is it true that Devil Jin is just T3 Jin with a different look?

sasuke_91

We both suck at Tekken, so we need to do something else to keep ourselves relevant in this thread.

Saw this earlier and wanted to post it, but I didn't find it anymore.

Based on that overview doc, it seems that Jin, Devil Jin, and Dragunov would be the best characters for me. Im more inclined to main Devil Jin/Jin though because of dat T3/T5 nostalgia. Jin is by far my fav character in the series(followed by Hwoarang). Is it true that Devil Jin is just T3 Jin with a different look?

Jin has the best pokes in the game and is a very technical character in general. Very good if you want to strengthen your fundamentals. His block punishment is also very decent.

Devil Jin has some T3 Jin moves, but they're very different. Devil Jin may be a little hard to learn, but he's a character who has an answer for most situations.

Forest Law fits the description, and I wouldn't worry about picking a character that might not be in the next Tekken cause if you're new to the fundamentals you'll spend a lot of time learning them.

Someone on Steam asked for good learning resources and I directed him to some of them, you might want to check it out.

Feel free to ask/report your progress over here.

Sayah

Devil Jin and Jin are completely different characters. I would say Devil Jin will also require more work to get good with.

Rajang

Definitely play Jin.

Onemic

Forest Law fits the description, and I wouldn't worry about picking a character that might not be in the next Tekken cause if you're new to the fundamentals you'll spend a lot of time learning them.

Someone on Steam asked for good learning resources and I directed him to some of them, you might want to check it out.

Feel free to ask/report your progress over here.

We both suck at Tekken, so we need to do something else to keep ourselves relevant in this thread.

Saw this earlier and wanted to post it, but I didn't find it anymore.

Jin has the best pokes in the game and is a very technical character in general. Very good if you want to strengthen your fundamentals. His block punishment is also very decent.

Devil Jin has some T3 Jin moves, but they're very different. Devil Jin may be a little hard to learn, but he's a character who has an answer for most situations.

Devil Jin and Jin are completely different characters. I would say Devil Jin will also require more work to get good with.

Definitely play Jin.

Thanks for the advice. What makes Devil Jin harder than Jin? Dont they both have an EWGF and a wavedash?

AAK

Thanks for the advice. What makes Devil Jin harder than Jin? Dont they both have an EWGF and a wavedash?

I'm of the opinion that Jin is equally as dificult if not more to play as Devil Jin only because to take complete advantage of him you need to master his parry which demands a lot of situational awareness and game knowledge. However not a lot of people incorporate it so heavliy in their game. The only Jin player I've noticed who does is CherryBerryMango.

However, mastering parry aside, Devil Jin is indeed more difficult to play. The traditional Mishimas like Heihachi, Kazuya, and Devil Jin have very poor tracking to their right side. When you battle against an opponent who understands the matchup they will easily avoid the extreme dangers from a novice Mishima player by stepping them when the space is available. A great Mishima player will have to ppreemptively know what situations their next attack is steppable and naturally know to micro-dash/wave-dash forward in a very short time frame before launching their next attack to re-align themselves to an opponent that can potentially step them. But again, this difference in difficulty comes once you've fully understood the basics and fundamentals of the game. When starting out both Jin and DJin will appear to be equally difficult.

Regular Jin doesn't have to worry about that as much since he has tools which can track in both directions. Also, Regular Jin also has a generic hopkick which is one of the greatest tools in the game to take care of a bunch of situations.

Both DJin and Regular Jin have an easy instant 15 frame launcher that doesn't demand an electric like Kazuya/Heihachi in their d+3+4 can-can kicks. However, I believe Regular Jin' s version is easier to convert off of.

Numb

Byakoko vids hype you up for Jin parries

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

You try then realize how much awareness,timing and knowledge it requires to parry
Generic strings themselves aren't easy let alone single hits and pokes and then proper punishing

Not shocked i almost never see it used alot

GrayFoxPL

YOU think WE are funny? Do you even read your own posts?

I'm just a beggar for smiles. ;]

KGpMXRR.gif

Is it true that Devil Jin is just T3 Jin with a different look?

That was pretty much the case...in Tekken 5. Now he's very different. I still miss fun b+1 into df series that got replaced by basic punisher b+1, 1+2. Still Devir Gin remains fun character with tiny flavor of classic Jin.

BwIs5Ie.jpg

J35Oajr.jpg

Onemic

I'm of the opinion that Jin is equally as dificult if not more to play as Devil Jin only because to take complete advantage of him you need to master his parry which demands a lot of situational awareness and game knowledge. However not a lot of people incorporate it so heavliy in their game. The only Jin player I've noticed who does is CherryBerryMango.

However, mastering parry aside, Devil Jin is indeed more difficult to play. The traditional Mishimas like Heihachi, Kazuya, and Devil Jin have very poor tracking to their right side. When you battle against an opponent who understands the matchup they will easily avoid the extreme dangers from a novice Mishima player by stepping them when the space is available. A great Mishima player will have to ppreemptively know what situations their next attack is steppable and naturally know to micro-dash/wave-dash forward in a very short time frame before launching their next attack to re-align themselves to an opponent that can potentially step them. But again, this difference in difficulty comes once you've fully understood the basics and fundamentals of the game. When starting out both Jin and DJin will appear to be equally difficult.

Regular Jin doesn't have to worry about that as much since he has tools which can track in both directions. Also, Regular Jin also has a generic hopkick which is one of the greatest tools in the game to take care of a bunch of situations.

Both DJin and Regular Jin have an easy instant 15 frame launcher that doesn't demand an electric like Kazuya/Heihachi in their d+3+4 can-can kicks. However, I believe Regular Jin' s version is easier to convert off of.

Ah, thanks for the info. Definitely will focus more on Jin then.

The game should be finished downloading to my PS3 by the time I get back form work today, so it'll be time to lab it up once I get back.(And also after I get a session of FFXV in :p)

Byakoko vids hype you up for Jin parries

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

You try then realize how much awareness,timing and knowledge it requires to parry
Generic strings themselves aren't easy let alone single hits and pokes and then proper punishing

Not shocked i almost never see it used alot

That looks.....Magestic

I must learn this.

Numb

Ah, thanks for the info. Definitely will focus more on Jin then.

The game should be finished downloading to my PS3 by the time I get back form work today, so it'll be time to lab it up once I get back.(And also after I get a session of FFXV in :p)

That looks.....Magestic

I must learn this.

giphy.gif

So from the 14th onwards I have like a month off work, so I will actually try and put some time into the game. If you guys wanna join me for some Tekken then onwards that would be dope!

Onemic

So Im practicing with Jin and Im pretty much only focusing on BDC, wavedashing, and EWHF. Is this what I should spend the majority of my lab time on, or should it be on learning his moves and its properties?

Should I learn to do the traditional BDC(b,b,d/b,b,d/b,b...) or should I just do a reverse wavedash?

Lastly what are the main differences between Jins EWHF and the Mishimas EWGF? Seems like the EWGF launches straight up while the EWHF makes them go towards the ground

AAK

Honestly, everyone's plan in learning is gonna be unique. I don't think there is any one optimal order in which to learn things since everyone's areas needing focus will be different.

But in my opinion, the first and most important thing to learn about Tekken is how to move and especially why you should move. Are you still online onemic? I think I'll hop onto the game and talk to you about it for a little bit if you still have time.

Onemic

Honestly, everyone's plan in learning is gonna be unique. I don't think there is any one optimal order in which to learn things since everyone's areas needing focus will be different.

But in my opinion, the first and most important thing to learn about Tekken is how to move and especially why you should move. Are you still online onemic? I think I'll hop onto the game and talk to you about it for a little bit if you still have time.

Im still on, but my brother is using netflix so my connection is pretty poor right now.

AAK

It's cool, we don't need perfect connection. We can just hop onto online practice mode if you're up for it.

EDIT: gimme a few min, my ps3 needs to update.

So Im practicing with Jin and Im pretty much only focusing on BDC, wavedashing, and EWHF. Is this what I should spend the majority of my lab time on, or should it be on learning his moves and its properties?

Should I learn to do the traditional BDC(b,b,d/b,b,d/b,b...) or should I just do a reverse wavedash?

Lastly what are the main differences between Jins EWHF and the Mishimas EWGF? Seems like the EWGF launches straight up while the EWHF makes them go towards the ground

Regarding BDC: do whichever makes you feel most comfortable. That said, it's best to learn the proper BDC if you ever plan on using a backsway character like Bryan/Nina/Paul since reverse wavedash motion doesn't work for them.

Wouldn't worry about the electrics right now. It's a common trap newer players fall into (myself included!), practicing combos and execution stuff before "learning to play". Jin has enough tools to get by without relying on electrics, and it's best to learn the general system and offensive and defensive flow of the game before digging into specifics.

Movement, spacing, best options while grounded, what's punishable and what to use for punishment, when to duck strings, throw breaking, all the boring stuff that actually wins games.

AAK

I forgot how to send someone the server invite.... Or is it only Dereck who can send those invites?

Onemic

Now Im locked out of Discord...I dont know whats going on. If you can wait a bit, I'll restart my PC and try and figure this out

EDIT: Fixed.

sasuke_91

So from the 14th onwards I have like a month off work, so I will actually try and put some time into the game. If you guys wanna join me for some Tekken then onwards that would be dope!

I'll be mainly playing Final Fantasy XV at that time, but we'll find the time for some games anyway.

EWGF launches on normal hit. EWHF gives a knockdown on normal hit and launches on counterhit. Converting the counterhit into a combo is also a little harder, especially if you want to go for high damage combos.
Other than that they have to same properties. High, +5 on block and I think they also give the same amount of pushback.

In T7, Jin's EWHF tailspins immediately even on normal hit. His WHF doesn't though.

GrayFoxPL

Adding:Jin's WHF is always safe unlike WGF. Pretty sure ewhf doesn't crush highs after initial crouch dash unlike ewgf.

Top Bottom